Pollz!!! (Vote for Bo)

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Pollz!!! (Vote for Bo)
« on: February 20, 2013, 09:56:13 AM »
Greatest Athlete of All Time Bracket

http://sports.espn.go.com/sportsnation/feature/index?page=greatestofalltime#top

Bo is closer to Roger Federer than logic and sanity would dictate.

Will likely get creamed next round against Muhammad Ali.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Pollz!!! (Vote for Bo)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:00:30 AM »
The fact that his competition (Roger Federer) even has 29% of the vote is a travesty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 10:36:20 AM »
No Jim Thorpe?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:51:55 AM »
Ali a great boxer and showman? Sure. Can't touch Bo or even Deon on pure athleticism. I'd throw Mark Allen and Carl Lewis in that elite crowd too. You could probably include Hershel, Earl Campbell and Jordan too.

I've always looked at Ali and Jim Brown as overrated.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 11:23:31 AM »
The fact that his competition (Roger Federer) even has 29% of the vote is a travesty.

The problem is how do you really define or answer the question of who qualifies to be considered one of the greatest athletes of all time?  Bo was a freak of nature.  Worked out very little but was physically gifted enough to be elite in more than one sport.  I think the very fact that Bo excelled at 2 sports at that level, puts him right up at the top of the heap.  But, as the article points out, as great as Bo's accomplishments were, did he ever have to push through a 4 1/2 hour match in the heat against another elite athlete?  I've always considered professional tennis players some of the best overall athletes in the world.  If you've never played much tennis or paid close attention to what all they really do on the court....the incredible number of athletic movements they have to make and the length of time and conditions in which they do it...it's hard to appreciate it. 

Is Michael Phelps one of the best?  He just swims, right?  But he's the best in all the strokes/movements, which are very different from one another.  Why would you take a guy who can run a football well over someone who is at the top of their game doing Iron Man Triathlons, where they swim and bike and run literally for hours.  I heard a debate on sports talk yesterday about who is/was the better basketball player...Jordan or LeBron.  Magic Johnson weighed in saying LeBron is much bigger, much faster, much stronger...but Michael would beat him 10 out of 10 times if they went one-on-one.  When you see guys like LeBron at 6'8" and 265 pounds, flying through the air, doing acrobatic dunks, doing power moves against guys much bigger, handling the ball like he does and draining long range 3's....how could he not be considered one of the greatest "athletes" of all time?  Do you measure it by wins and losses?  Does that factor in?  If so, do we deduct points from Bo? 

Don't get me wrong, I put Bo Jackson up against anyone who ever competed in any sport.  I just think it's too hard to put everyone in one big group, given the diversity in what they do, and try to pick the best.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:23:51 AM »
Ali a great boxer and showman? Sure. Can't touch Bo or even Deon on pure athleticism. I'd throw Mark Allen and Carl Lewis in that elite crowd too. You could probably include Hershel, Earl Campbell and Jordan too.

I've always looked at Ali and Jim Brown as overrated.
Agree. Which is why we must vote to prevent this injustice. Bugg be damned.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 05:30:59 PM »
I looked at who IS included, and who is not, and it's a joke of a competition/poll no matter how you define "athlete". 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
Perhaps it's no surprise that Roger Federer fell to Bo Jackson, but how did it happen? "Federer fell victim to the draw," says Sport Science host John Brenkus. "He actually ranked in the top five in nearly 40 percent of all the categories in our metric, but he couldn't overcome the juggernaut that is Bo Jackson."

Which, to me translates to, "Bammers voted against Bo in droves."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 08:00:29 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

jmar

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 08:18:28 PM »
http://definitivedose.com/sports/general/greatest-multi-sport-athletes

This is as good a list as I have seen. Thorpe was considered the best at least until the end of the '70s.
Can't argue Jackson or Sanders as finalists but it just depends on the criteria as JR mentioned.

Jim Brown was considered the best NFL runner ever, even some years after he retired. Very few would argue that. Then along came O.J. et al.

I've gotta say tennis is as demanding and grueling as any individual sport at the level of a Federer.

And like Snag's said, you have to be some kind of freak to master all of the various swim events like Phelps.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 08:31:49 AM »
http://definitivedose.com/sports/general/greatest-multi-sport-athletes

This is as good a list as I have seen. Thorpe was considered the best at least until the end of the '70s.
Can't argue Jackson or Sanders as finalists but it just depends on the criteria as JR mentioned.

Jim Brown was considered the best NFL runner ever, even some years after he retired. Very few would argue that. Then along came O.J. et al.

I've gotta say tennis is as demanding and grueling as any individual sport at the level of a Federer.

And like Snag's said, you have to be some kind of freak to master all of the various swim events like Phelps.

Lot of people don't know that Jim Brown was one of the best college lacrosse players of all time too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 09:29:59 AM »
That "northeast" division is pretty fuckin' weak.

Willie Mays
Jackie Robinson
Pele
Tony Hawk

If there is justice in this world, the final two will be Bo & Jim.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 01:39:43 PM »
That "northeast" division is pretty fudgein' weak.

Willie Mays
Jackie Robinson
Pele
Tony Hawk

If there is justice in this world, the final two will be Bo & Jim.
Tony Hawk? So, Tony Hawk is in the same contest regarding athleticism that Bo Jackson and Jim Thorpe are in. Is Carrot Top in this thing too?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 04:02:34 PM »
Tony Hawk? So, Tony Hawk is in the same contest regarding athleticism that Bo Jackson and Jim Thorpe are in. Is Carrot Top in this thing too?

Hey, Carrot Top is one buff ginger.  I guarantee he's one hell of an athlete not on steroids.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 04:43:36 PM »
Ali a great boxer and showman? Sure. Can't touch Bo or even Deon on pure athleticism.
Bo used to stutter...Ali stutters now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 04:46:08 PM »

B-B-B-Bazzzzzzinga!!!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 05:03:35 PM »

And has more moves.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 12:38:39 PM »
Bump.

Bo's up again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 12:41:34 PM »
Gretzsky advancing past Lewis is a travesty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X