Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Rodney Garner coming home!

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Rodney Garner coming home!
« on: December 20, 2012, 11:07:33 PM »
Auburn hires Georgia's Rodney Garner as defensive line coach, assistant head coach

By Charles Goldberg | cgoldberg@al.com
on December 20, 2012 at 9:23 PM, updated December 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Print
Rodney Garner coaches up Jarvis Jones at Georgia, and now he's coming to Auburn (Steven Colquitt, Georgia)

AUBURN, Alabama – Rodney Garner is coming home to Auburn as assistant head coach and defensive line coach in a coup for Gus Malzahn as he puts together his new coaching staff.

Garner is leaving Georgia after 15 years as a coach and one of college football's top recruiters.

"Welcome Home, Coach Rodney Garner," tweeted Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs.

Garner played at Auburn from 1984-88 and was with the coaching staff from 1993-95. He's been at Georgia the last 15 seasons, and is the Bulldogs' defensive line coach, assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator.

He's the fifth assistant coach hired by Malzhan.

Malzahn's coaching staff presently consists of Garner, offensive line coach J.B. Grimes, offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson and secondary coach Charlie Harbison.

Malzahn is not keeping any of Gene Chizik's assistants. Additionally, Auburn is not rehiring graduate assistants Tony Gilbert, Aairon Savage and Jeff Castle. Special teams quality control coach Al Pogue will be retained, but will be given a new assignment.

The only holdovers from Chizik's staff are Pogue, Director of Player Personnel Scott Fountain, who has coordinated Auburn's recruiting for four years; and Director of Scouting Chad Lunceford.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: Rodney Garner coming home!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 12:37:22 AM »

AHHHHAHAHA...WOOOOO.....WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:40:55 AM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 12:38:04 AM »
Special teams quality control coach?? :wtf:

I had no idea we got a warranty on punt returns - I want my money back.

Oh, and YAY on CRG! 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 09:49:26 AM »
It Just Got INTERESTING!!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 09:51:34 AM »
It Just Got INTERESTING!!!!

He's black and cool like Trooper, right? 

Bring home Foster.  Go get Adams.  Seal the deal with Lawson. 

Let's do this thang, baby! :aubie:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 09:56:06 AM »
Damn, this coaching staff is coming together nicely!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

oldautiger

• Resident Old Fart
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 11:58:36 AM »
With CRG being defensive line coach, wonder how or if  this affects Tracy Rocker's return to the plains
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses of you need 'em." - Webb Wilder

"Auburn is no Harvard, M.I.T. or Alabama - Thank GOD for small favors" - Anonymous

I can't recommend sex, drugs and rock 'n roll to everybody, but they've worked for me. - Me

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 12:02:08 PM »
With CRG being defensive line coach, wonder how or if  this affects Tracy Rocker's return to the plains

I think it kills his return to the plains. 

Rocker has no where to go but up.  He's a defensive line coach in the NFL and has college experience.  He can land a defensive coordinator job somewhere if he wants it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

oldautiger

• Resident Old Fart
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »

Rocker has no where to go but up.  He's a defensive line coach in the NFL and has college experience.  He can land a defensive coordinator job somewhere if he wants it.
Yep, as much as I would like him to come home, he ain't about to come back with DC & DLC being filled.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses of you need 'em." - Webb Wilder

"Auburn is no Harvard, M.I.T. or Alabama - Thank GOD for small favors" - Anonymous

I can't recommend sex, drugs and rock 'n roll to everybody, but they've worked for me. - Me

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 12:40:54 PM »

Yeah, this was pretty much my first thought upon hearing of Garners hire. My second was "hell yeah, this a great hire and just as good as Rocker".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 01:07:43 PM »
Very excited about the garner hire.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 01:26:37 PM »
I think this brings Foster back, and may help with the DL guys who were on the fence too!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 01:28:03 PM »
Excited about this hire, but was really hoping he would coach TE's and we could bring home Rock.  Would have moved for days and days.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

chinook

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 02:48:38 PM »
Excited about this hire, but was really hoping he would coach TE's and we could bring home Rock.  Would have moved for days and days.

yeah, how is the breast feeding coming? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 03:18:35 PM »
This is a great improvement over what we had. The Mutts though were not impressed with how Garner's D-line performed in big games. We are going to allow other teams to score because of the offense we run. Petrino's defenses gave up high teens regularly and I would be surprised if our defense gives up less than 21 ppg what with the ammount of possessions our opponents will have. It's just imperative that we become a team that creates turnovers as we will sputter at times offensively. So to me this places more emphasis on establishing a power run game,  just like old times.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 04:38:47 PM »
yeah, how is the breast feeding coming?

I never tried it.  I was scared it would make my nipples tender....oh, wait.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 07:11:47 PM »
That's still a possibility.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 12:37:38 AM »
I never tried it.  I was scared it would make my nipples tender....oh, wait.

Lanolin cream... Works wonders.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 10:04:16 AM »
This is a great improvement over what we had. The Mutts though were not impressed with how Garner's D-line performed in big games. We are going to allow other teams to score because of the offense we run. Petrino's defenses gave up high teens regularly and I would be surprised if our defense gives up less than 21 ppg what with the ammount of possessions our opponents will have. It's just imperative that we become a team that creates turnovers as we will sputter at times offensively. So to me this places more emphasis on establishing a power run game,  just like old times.

I have read this post 4 times and I still have no clue what cohesive idea these disparate points are supposed to make.  It reads like:

1) Elephants are big.
2) Aunt Sally bakes pies.
3) Therefore, celery.

And what the fuck do Petrino's defenses have to do with the price of tea in China?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 10:33:58 AM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2012, 10:40:46 AM »
I have read this post 4 times and I still have no clue what cohesive idea these disparate points are supposed to make.  It reads like:

1) Elephants are big.
2) Aunt Sally bakes pies.
3) Therefore, celery.

And what the fuck do Petrino's defenses have to do with the price of tea in China?

What the fuck you have against aunt Sally?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."