Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

ESPN Sprecial on Bo tonight 8pmCST

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
ESPN Sprecial on Bo tonight 8pmCST
« on: December 08, 2012, 06:35:01 PM »

More

comments

'You Don't Know Bo' revives Jackson's legacy for a new generation of sports fans (column)

By Joel A. Erickson | jerickson@al.com
on December 08, 2012 at 2:04 PM, updated December 08, 2012 at 5:13 PM
Print
Email
Former Auburn great Bo Jackson recently served on the search committee that landed Gus Malzahn on the Plains. (The Huntsville Times/Bob Gathany)
 AUBURN, Alabama -- Bo Jackson carries an impossible legacy, a place in history that rests on almost none of the measures that normally define America's legends.

Jackson holds no unbreakable records, won no championships, probably never reached his full peak and lost any chance at longevity due to catastrophic injury.

His greatness exists mostly in moments.

Only a few of our heroes had those kinds of careers. Jackie Robinson was like that, the man who broke the color barrier, made diving catches to beat the Phillies in the mist and stealing home against the Yankees in the Series.

Willie Mays was like that, even though he had the big numbers to back it up.

Bo Jackson's legacy exists almost entirely in moments. And what director Michael Bonfiglio realized as he started to make "You Don't Know Bo," -- the 30 for 30 documentary that premiers at 8 p.m. tonight on ESPN -- was that Jackson's brilliance -- has largely been lost on an entire generation of sports fans.

"If you're younger than 26, 27, and you live outside the state of Alabama, you don't know much about Bo Jackson," Bonfiglio said. "I couldn't believe it. I'm not even a sports guy, and even I know about Bo Jackson."

People who grew up in Alabama might find that hard to believe. Jackson's legacy in this state is as secure as his statue outside Jordan-Hare.

But when a 27-year-old coworker who always has the answer for anything sports-related admitted to Bonfiglio that he didn't know much about Bo Jackson other than his status as the best video-game running back in history, Bonfiglio had his mission.

"I wanted to make something that brought Bo Jackson to a generation of fans who never got to see him play," Bonfiglio said.

Bonfiglio nailed it.

In an era when arguments about greatness are usually based on the tangible, Bo Jackson's status as the best overall American athlete since Jim Thorpe is based on what we saw Jackson do.

Bo Jackson was the second of three Auburn Heisman Trophy winners.Contributed

He ended nearly a decade of Alabama dominance by leaping over the top. Jackson homered to lead off the All-Star Game, ran across the outfield wall and threw out Harold Reynolds from the outfield wall in Seattle. He finished the 40-yard dash in 4.12, ran over the Boz, walked straight off the outfield grass and into the top spot as the NFL's best running back.

"You Don't Know Bo" is a collection of those moments, a series of short stories, "Aesop's Fables" for the sports fan.

And it's really the only way to tell Jackson's story.

"When I started talking to people about Bo Jackson, they kept telling those stories, like something out of a comic book," Bonfiglio said. "I used almost every one."

At some point in the future, the story of Bo Jackson, at least to most outside the state of Alabama, may seem impossible, a collection of legends that can't possibly be true, the Paul Bunyan of American sports.

"You Don't Know Bo" serves as evidence that the legend is actually the truth.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 06:39:31 PM by WiregrassTiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: ESPN Sprecial on Bo tonight 8pmCST
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 06:47:30 PM »
Thanks for the reminder. I had planned on watching this and had forgotten all about it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 07:28:35 PM »
I'm there, dude.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

djsimp

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 09:49:21 AM »
I watched and very much enjoyed it. Bo is still hero! It kind of made my wife sad for him, with his career being cut so short. That run up the outfield wall is a thing of beauty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 09:56:59 AM »
The tease in the trailer was awesome "What if told you he could do everything....and did?"  The athletes in awe of his play....fucking awesome. 

It saddens me what might have been, but Bo is content.  That makes it ok.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 10:10:31 AM »

It saddens me what might have been, but Bo is content.  That makes it ok.

Thats what I told my wife but you are right, the lingering question about what could have been sucks. Its also amazing that Auburn has had such freak athletes such as Bo and Cam come through the program. After watching this show, Bo further cements his position in my mind as the best Auburn athlete ever. He is the reason why I became an Auburn fan.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

oldautiger

• Resident Old Fart
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 10:22:32 AM »
He made both the Pro Bowl and the MLB Allstar games, the only athlete to do so, yet he's not in either HOF.  Should be in both.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses of you need 'em." - Webb Wilder

"Auburn is no Harvard, M.I.T. or Alabama - Thank GOD for small favors" - Anonymous

I can't recommend sex, drugs and rock 'n roll to everybody, but they've worked for me. - Me

djsimp

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 10:26:51 AM »
He made both the Pro Bowl and the MLB Allstar games, the only athlete to do so, yet he's not in either HOF.  Should be in both.

Its possible that this show will bring that to the forefront.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 10:39:50 AM »
Set the DVR before I left and plan on watching it tonight when I get home.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

jmar

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 11:34:30 AM »

No Bo Jackson can't nor should he be considered for HOF status. That said, I told my daughter and son, as a child we only heard stories of Jim Thorpe and could only trust what others passed down and what we could soak up in books. As kids we considered the accomplisments of Thorpe as gospel and never gave it a thought that someone of his stature could reappear.
Then comes this amazing talent that could do basically anything he set his mind to and I still don't think the public can fathom just how extraordinary Bo was.

I still can't. But in that stretch of time I truly think I witnessed the feats of the greatest athlete to ever come from the state of Alabama as an amateur or professional for I know that his talents could be applied to any era against the best in both sports had his career not been cut short by injury.

And long after we are gone some kid might happen along with superior skills yet totally unaware of the greatness that preceeded him. How could he! Highlights only give one a glimpse.
All hail Bo Jackson, the greatest two sport legend of our time. WDBO!   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 12:06:10 PM »
yall'z is haterz.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 01:47:41 PM »
I just watched this.  Wow.  Even knowing the legend of Bo so familiarly, as an Auburn fan, it is still amazing to see/hear it all again.  Moreso through the eyes of outsiders.

To K's point: they essentially dismissed Walker as a footnote.  It was glorious.  Suck it, mutts.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 03:13:18 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

jmar

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 02:43:44 PM »
I just watched this.  Wow.  Even knowing the legend of Bo so familiarly, as an Auburn fan, it is still amazing to see/hear it all again.  Moreso through the eyes of outsiders.

To K's point: they essentially dismissed Walker as a footnote.  It was glorious.  Suck it, mutts.
Saw a Hershell special on the TV lineup that followed the 30 - 30  but it can't compare to the two sport godlike exploits... godalmighty look at Cam Newton...  sorry Jesus God what a run... anyway Walker was one tremendous back. Carry on!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 03:14:08 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 03:02:50 PM »
yall'z is haterz.

Fucker is dumber than a bag of hammers. And uga totally elevates him to god status. Fuck him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 05:22:22 PM »
I can see some similarities carrying the rock but then that's where the comparisons end. No contest!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 12:15:04 AM »
That 1982 Iron Bowl was one of the happiest days of my life.  Just watching that play during this movie made me get all choked up. 

Greatest of all time.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 09:58:39 AM by Tiger Wench »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 12:47:13 AM »
That 1992 Iron Bowl was one of the happiest days of my life.  Just watching that play during this movie made me get all choked up. 

Greatest of all time.

Uh did you mean 1982?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 12:50:38 AM »
I can see some similarities carrying the rock but then that's where the comparisons end. No contest!

Epic track battles between the two. People forget that they both were track stars too. I mean, who watches track anyway!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 06:29:40 AM »

Epic track battles between the two. People forget that they both were track stars too. I mean, who watches track anyway!
Have a buddy that played football at Ole Miss in the mid 80s, that got to see first hand an SEC track meet where Bo and Hershel ran in a heat.  I think the 100m.  I think Hershel would have been a Sr. and Bo a Fr.  Said Hershel beat him by a hair, and they smoked the rest of the field. 

He was also on the field for Auburn's thrashing of his Rebels in 85, and watched Bo go off on them.  Said he was in awe of what he saw from Bo. 

It amazes me the athletes that say "what the fuck was that" after seeing Bo.

Best friend's Mother In Law had surgery and rehab with Andrews.  She was in a whirlpool room when Bo Walked in in a speedo after his hip surgery.  She's as conservative a lady as any you'd meet, but we all laugh at how she was in awe of the physical specimen of Bo.   She blushes to this day when it's brought up.  The only words she can come up with is "Oh my!" to describe it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 09:28:57 AM »
Have a buddy that played football at Ole Miss in the mid 80s, that got to see first hand an SEC track meet where Bo and Hershel ran in a heat.  I think the 100m.  I think Hershel would have been a Sr. and Bo a Fr.  Said Hershel beat him by a hair, and they smoked the rest of the field. 

He was also on the field for Auburn's thrashing of his Rebels in 85, and watched Bo go off on them.  Said he was in awe of what he saw from Bo. 

It amazes me the athletes that say "what the fuck was that" after seeing Bo.

Best friend's Mother In Law had surgery and rehab with Andrews.  She was in a whirlpool room when Bo Walked in in a speedo after his hip surgery.  She's as conservative a lady as any you'd meet, but we all laugh at how she was in awe of the physical specimen of Bo.   She blushes to this day when it's brought up.  The only words she can come up with is "Oh my!" to describe it.

I may be wrong but every write up I've read on their track duals always shows Bo as the winner. But like you said, if this was a case of an 18 yr old FR vs a 22 yr old SR and it was by a hair, then I could see where that could totally happen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE