Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Scarbinsky: Is Gus Malzahn strong enough to change Auburn for the better?

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
Re: Scarbinsky: Is Gus Malzahn strong enough to change Auburn for the better?
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2012, 11:47:14 AM »
BFMP was nomore of a fucking risk than Gus (who was apart in developing the current culture) or Kirby Smart's DA. The only difference, Petrino MIGHT have embarrassed us off the field, while Kirby and Gus would be more than likely to embarrass Auburn on the field while we get our shit pushed in.

Btw, BMFP reaction to the 15 minute interview has been released.....

1:24 mark to the 2:56 mark.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2012, 12:03:58 PM »
No, but the Petrino bashers were using it as a reason as to why Auburn shouldn't consider him.

It's like I think it and you type it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2012, 12:04:11 PM »

I'm willing to bet Frazier looks alot better back in Malzahns system.  Kid has the tools, just could not get it done in a Pro Set Offense 
How much would you like to bet? $50 $100 Sorry totally disagree scheme had nothing to do with Fraziers lack of ability
Most of the kids want to play in this type of system.  Do you think we have the top recruiting classes we have had if we had been running Loeffler's system?
Kids want to play for a winning team, defense doesn't give a crap about what offensive scheme we run
 Can't win if you can't score (see 2012)
This doesn't really make sense because you also can't win if you let your opponent score more then you, so whatever.
I'll give you this one.  However Muschamp had no experience, Florida was in the shitter, and he's doing OK.  We'll just have to see
Muschamp also wasn't at the program prior to it being fucked up.  He also took over for a coach that wasn't a moron and has had success elsewhere.

Listen I'm not arguing over this IMO it was a monumentally fail of a hire.  We could have done a whole lot better.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2012, 12:07:23 PM »
No, listen again.  Petrino was not our choice (nor anyone else's for that matter) not because he left Louisville or Atlanta.  He was not, not the choice because he had an affair.  He was not the choice because he was the "CEO" of a multi million dollar organization that hired his mistress over much more qualified individuals, lied about the reasons for her hiring, and put that organization in jeopardy of huge law suits.  This kind of behavior will not be overlooked anytime soon by a big time school.  Petrino will have to go be a coach at a lower level nobody school, prove that he has righted his ship and then work his way back up.

Think about this as a business (which it is).  Who's going to hire Ken Lay again any time soon?  Bernie Madoff?  No One could ever trust either one of them and No One trusts Bobby Either

Your comparison holds no water. Ken Lay is dead.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2012, 12:09:18 PM »
Listen I'm not arguing over this IMO it was a monumentally fail of a hire.  We could have done a whole lot better.

Agree on the Frayzuh. Being able to hit the broad side of a barn and go through progressions is fundamental regardless of system.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

noxin

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2012, 12:10:58 PM »
Listen I'm not arguing over this IMO it was a monumentally fail of a hire. 

^^^^^This times infinity

We could have done a whole lot better.

Sadly, I don't know that I agree with this part
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2012, 12:11:31 PM »
For me its not...I could give two shits about Petrino. I didn't want Gus.

I think it is a fail hire.

Agree here.

Wasn't about Petrino, it was about not going after the most proven HC out there.  Why didn't we walk up to Patterson, Peterson, Stoops, Muschamp, and say "Here is $25 million dollars for 5 years, come on down.".  MAKE THEM GODDAMN TELL YOU NO BEFORE YOU HIRE A QUIRKY AUTISTIC MOTHERFUCKER THAT YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH!!!

Seriously, am I the only AU fan that is mad as fucking hell that we didn't make people tell us no before settling on a C tier coach? 

May Jay Jacobs choke on a fat cock.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2012, 12:24:25 PM »
No, listen again.  Petrino was not our choice (nor anyone else's for that matter) not because he left Louisville or Atlanta.  He was not, not the choice because he had an affair.  He was not the choice because he was the "CEO" of a multi million dollar organization that hired his mistress over much more qualified individuals, lied about the reasons for her hiring, and put that organization in jeopardy of huge law suits.  This kind of behavior will not be overlooked anytime soon by a big time school.  Petrino will have to go be a coach at a lower level nobody school, prove that he has righted his ship and then work his way back up.

Think about this as a business (which it is).  Who's going to hire Ken Lay again any time soon?  Bernie Madoff?  No One could ever trust either one of them and No One trusts Bobby Either

AUTR, I agree 100% with what you said.  Petrino wasn't my first choice.  If one would be to eliminate him, it should have been (rightly) on the fact that he opened Arkansas up to law suits.

But for the War Blogle's of the world to say how bad Petrino was because he fucked a hot blonde and that's why we shouldn't hire him.  Or that he fucked over Louisville and the Falcons as to reasons why we shouldn't hire him.  That's where my comments were coming from.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

HSVBeerNerd

• "Who the $%!# made me an engineer??"
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2012, 12:31:21 PM »
If Gus has phenomenal success.. he's heading to the NFL in 2-3 years (where a spread offense likely won't work). If Gus has nothing but 6 win seasons in 2-3 years.. he's likely run out of town.

Hopefully in 2-3 years, his replacement is not decided by Jay Jacobs.

Also I agree with the previous post: his DC hire will be what decides if there are 6 win seasons or 8-9 win seasons.

So are we keeping the "security firm" to make sure players are in their dorms by 11pm to keep everyone from getting criminal charges or what?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Friends don't let friends buy Pat Dye's undergarments on Ebay...

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2012, 12:38:04 PM »
While I admit, it was obviously all about Petrino for me because imo he was the most PROVEN HCing CANDIDATE that was out there But again just compare Auburn and Arky's coaching search. Arky makes offer for Lester, rumored to hire Peterson, and lands the guy who just won his 3rd Big Ten title along with his 3rd Rose Bowl birth. Auburn interviews Malzahn, Smart, Rob Morris ($1 to Danny Sheridan) and insults Petrino. Fucking embarrassing.

Look, if Petrino had 0 chance from the get go, why not just go ahead and say it from the get go like others did? That is another big fail squarely on the shoulders of the AD. Seriously, the motherfucker is so inept he has to have a search committee of Auburn ledgens put together to help him find a HC. I thought that is what Auburn was paying his ass for?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2012, 12:41:53 PM »
To address the QB situation.  Show of hands.  How many here were pissed off we signed the USA Today Player of the Year?  Thought so.

How many teams around the country would love to have signed Frazier?  I saw him play twice in HS and the kid was a stud.  Plain and simple.  But, as can often be the case, Mr. Athletic HS QB did not translate well when jumping to the best division in the nation.  But Malzahn didn't "develop" him.  How exactly do you develop an incredibly raw true freshman when there's no way he's going to be your starter?  Trotter was back with 2 years to go and some game experience under his belt....and 2 years in Malzahn's system.  Decent QB when he had his head on straight.

How do you develop a kid when your O-line goes from the most to least experienced in the country in one year?  When your 240 pound fullback is gone.  When your 2 leading receivers are gone.  When your head coach says you're not going to run the offense the way you want to. 

Oh..and Scott Leftlerzes was the OC but was brought in as much for his work with elite QB's as anything else.  Remember how we talked about that....showed practice footage of him working with the QB's?  How did Frazier's development work out there?  The kid was apparently overrated by everyone.

Zeke Pike?  Kid was running his pie hole and getting in trouble before he got to AU.  You can call it an excuse all you want but I blame Gene Chizik.  I have no problem taking a chance on a kid.  Had no problem taking a chance on Pike.  Still don't think it was a bad decision.  But they brought a kid in with known prior problems and released him into a culture (Thug culture?  Not so off base now, is it) that produced the likes of the Felony 4, Synthetic Mike, DeAngelo "I'ma pop a cap off in yo ass" Benton, Reese Sidewalk Dismukes and on and on.  So bad that it got to the point that Geno had to hire security.  Ole Zekey was in heaven, free to do what he wanted with no Yox to stick a foot up his ass.

The "Culture" and discipline are all on Chizik.  If a counselor says your starting QB ain't going to class, don't call him/her a liar.  It's not up to the OC to set up a system of monitoring and disciplining the players.  Chizik simply was in over his head and it's become more apparent every single day that he did not know how to run a program.  Not at Iowa State.  Not here.  It may have been posted already, but someone who twats on the tweeters, see if you can find Lee Ziemba's comments on the CGM hire.  I was told today you might feel a little better about things changing at Auburn.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

HSVBeerNerd

• "Who the $%!# made me an engineer??"
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2012, 12:43:31 PM »
While I admit, it was obviously all about Petrino for me because imo he was the most PROVEN HCing CANDIDATE that was out there But again just compare Auburn and Arky's coaching search. Arky makes offer for Lester, rumored to hire Peterson, and lands the guy who just won his 3rd Big Ten title along with his 3rd Rose Bowl birth. Auburn interviews Malzahn, Smart, Rob Morris ($1 to Danny Sheridan) and insults Petrino. Fucking embarrassing.

Look, if Petrino had 0 chance from the get go, why not just go ahead and say it from the get go like others did? That is another big fail squarely on the shoulders of the AD. Seriously, the motherfucker is so inept he has to have a search committee of Auburn ledgens put together to help him find a HC. I thought that is what Auburn was paying his ass for?

One odd thing from the press conference.. when Bo spoke, he only said "Mr. Gogue, I was just wondering where do I send the bill??" Then he steps away from the podium.. didn't seem to be too much of a joke, unless Bo totally sucks at punchline delivery. Also.. why not state why you support the hire/factors that contributed to coming to Malzahn as the answer??

JJ was standing next to him and got all derpy after that statement.

I kind of wonder how much of a role everyone had in the whole coaching hunt. There's just too much fail to believe that this hire wasn't mostly a result of JJ, but I guess we'll never know for sure.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Friends don't let friends buy Pat Dye's undergarments on Ebay...

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »
To address the QB situation.  Show of hands.  How many here were pissed off we signed the USA Today Player of the Year?  Thought so.

How many teams around the country would love to have signed Frazier?  I saw him play twice in HS and the kid was a stud.  Plain and simple.  But, as can often be the case, Mr. Athletic HS QB did not translate well when jumping to the best division in the nation.  But Malzahn didn't "develop" him.  How exactly do you develop an incredibly raw true freshman when there's no way he's going to be your starter?  Trotter was back with 2 years to go and some game experience under his belt....and 2 years in Malzahn's system.  Decent QB when he had his head on straight.

How do you develop a kid when your O-line goes from the most to least experienced in the country in one year?  When your 240 pound fullback is gone.  When your 2 leading receivers are gone.  When your head coach says you're not going to run the offense the way you want to. 

Oh..and Scott Leftlerzes was the OC but was brought in as much for his work with elite QB's as anything else.  Remember how we talked about that....showed practice footage of him working with the QB's?  How did Frazier's development work out there?  The kid was apparently overrated by everyone.

Zeke Pike?  Kid was running his pie hole and getting in trouble before he got to AU.  You can call it an excuse all you want but I blame Gene Chizik.  I have no problem taking a chance on a kid.  Had no problem taking a chance on Pike.  Still don't think it was a bad decision.  But they brought a kid in with known prior problems and released him into a culture (Thug culture?  Not so off base now, is it) that produced the likes of the Felony 4, Synthetic Mike, DeAngelo "I'ma pop a cap off in yo ass" Benton, Reese Sidewalk Dismukes and on and on.  So bad that it got to the point that Geno had to hire security.  Ole Zekey was in heaven, free to do what he wanted with no Yox to stick a foot up his ass.

The "Culture" and discipline are all on Chizik.  If a counselor says your starting QB ain't going to class, don't call him/her a liar.  It's not up to the OC to set up a system of monitoring and disciplining the players.  Chizik simply was in over his head and it's become more apparent every single day that he did not know how to run a program.  Not at Iowa State.  Not here.  It may have been posted already, but someone who twats on the tweeters, see if you can find Lee Ziemba's comments on the CGM hire.  I was told today you might feel a little better about things changing at Auburn.     
I hope you are right.  I hope I am dead wrong.  The history of JJ's hires favor me.

I'll be on the Gus Bus come August (I have no choice), but right now..I can't get on it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2012, 12:57:53 PM »

We also interviewed Patterson.  There comes a point where you don't want to get "turned down" by pipe dreams enough that it looks like you are settling for your 7th or 8th choice.  You have no idea, nor do I how many people we reached out to gauge interest before publicly announcing Malzahn
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2012, 01:48:38 PM »
We also interviewed Patterson.  There comes a point where you don't want to get "turned down" by pipe dreams enough that it looks like you are settling for your 7th or 8th choice.  You have no idea, nor do I how many people we reached out to gauge interest before publicly announcing Malzahn
Thats bullshit imo, coaches such as Patterson shouldn't be a pipedream. Over the past 10/20/30 years Auburn credentials speak for themselves in terms of being able to succeed. Seriously if Mr. 5-19 can come here and win the BCS Title, what coach out there looks at Auburn and says, "yea it would be hard to win there." Auburn is a damn good job and going out and hiring 2 HCs back to back with a combined 3 years experience is a fail. Me thinks the problem isn't Auburn but the motherfucker setting in the AD's office who has fucking shit up with Marsh, Muschamp, Patterson, insulting Petrino and hiring Chizik on his resume.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2012, 01:55:14 PM »
Thats bullshit imo, coaches such as Patterson shouldn't be a pipedream. Over the past 10/20/30 years Auburn credentials speak for themselves in terms of being able to succeed. Seriously if Mr. 5-19 can come here and win the BCS Title, what coach out there looks at Auburn and says, "yea it would be hard to win there." Auburn is a damn good job and going out and hiring 2 HCs back to back with a combined 3 years experience is a fail. Me thinks the problem isn't Auburn but the motherfucker setting in the AD's office who has fucking shit up with Marsh, Muschamp, Patterson, insulting Petrino and hiring Chizik on his resume.

Please name me 5 coaches who were at the top of their game, at a top program that went to another top program. 

Your scenario just does not happen very often.  The best coaches in the country were either plucked from a mid tier team as a HC or from the coordinator ranks. 

We went the mid tier HC route.  Sometimes they turn out great, sometimes not.  At least with Gus, he has been successful at EVERY stop along the way.  Chiz, not so much (see ISU)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2012, 01:55:45 PM »
Agree.  The above mentioned mindset that these types of coaches are "pipe dreams" are what got us in our current situation. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2012, 01:57:39 PM »
Agree.  The above mentioned mindset that these types of coaches are "pipe dreams" are what got us in our current situation.

Again:

Please name me 5 coaches who were at the top of their game, at a top program that went to another top program. 

Your scenario just does not happen very often.  The best coaches in the country were either plucked from a mid tier team as a HC or from the coordinator ranks. 

We went the mid tier HC route.  Sometimes they turn out great, sometimes not.  At least with Gus, he has been successful at EVERY stop along the way.  Chiz, not so much (see ISU)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2012, 02:01:58 PM »

With who?  Why?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2012, 02:04:45 PM »
Again:

Nick Saban - Michigan State to LSU to Miami Dolphins to Alabama.

Bret Bielema - Wisconsin to Arkansas.

Rich Rod - West Virginia to Michigan.

Steve Spurrier - UF to Redskins to USC

Urban Meyer - UF to OSU

Etc...

They are actually endless examples.  We chose to go the easy route, because of the buffoon Jay Jacobs and the mindset mentioned above. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."