Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Scarbinsky: Is Gus Malzahn strong enough to change Auburn for the better?

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
Re: Scarbinsky: Is Gus Malzahn strong enough to change Auburn for the better?
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 09:34:48 AM »
I understand where you and him may be coming from, but at the same time, you can't be an Auburn man and an Alabama guy at the same time. Just can't happen. We go head to head in to much shit for there to be 30 something days of fence riding.

It would not have been a good deal for anyone.

So...timing may just not have been right and timing is everything. Just ask Alabama with the Saban hire...
Maybe.  And in that case, like Scarbinsky, I don't see what the point in interviewing Smart was.  If rivalry is an issue, why even bother?  I think that most everybody here could have guessed that he would want to coach in the NCG.  Who would really want to establish a precedent on their resume of fucking over their previous employer?  It certainly didn't do Petrino any favors in the eyes of those who did not want him at AU.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:36:33 AM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

JR4AU

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 09:35:51 AM »
I understand where you and him may be coming from, but at the same time, you can't be an Auburn man and an Alabama guy at the same time. Just can't happen. We go head to head in to much shit for there to be 30 something days of fence riding.

It would not have been a good deal for anyone.

So...timing may just not have been right and timing is everything. Just ask Alabama with the Saban hire...

Excellent take.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 09:36:18 AM »
Maybe.  And in that case, like Scarbinsky, I don't see what the point in interviewing Smart was.  If rivalry is an issue, why even bother?  I think that most everybody here could have guessed that he would want to coach in the NCG.  Who would really want to establish a precedent on their resume of fucking over their previous employer?

Worth a shot to ask.

It should have just been done in private.

OR...when they expressed interest, the two parties should have laid out that issue before it got to an interview...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 09:37:34 AM »
Worth a shot to ask.

OR...when they expressed interest, the two parties should have laid out that issue before it got to an interview...
I was thinking the same thing after you raised the point.  That shit could have been handled with a 30 second phone call.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

JR4AU

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 09:43:20 AM »
Worth a shot to ask.

Frankly, it puzzles me that he thought that was an option either side would consider.  Can you imagine the fallout by bammers if their defense played like shit in the NCG under the new Auburn coach?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 10:07:52 AM »
Fuck that dipshit Jay Jacobs. What the fuck was the point in even calling Petrino? Was he trying just to burn that bridge and make sure he doesn't even consider Auburn the next time we hire a coach? The day Auburn fans quit bending over and run that dumb son of a bitch out of town will be a day that is equal to the 2010 BCS Title and the Bear's death.

As for Kirby, atleast they didn't listen to PFD this time. Hell why didn't we just shoot for the offensive equivalent of Kirby Smart.......... Oregon's OC?  :taunt: Fuck that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

noxin

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 10:16:06 AM »
Frankly, it puzzles me that he thought that was an option either side would consider.  Can you imagine the fallout by bammers if their defense played like shit in the NCG under the new Auburn coach?

This.  The fact that Smart thought coaching in the NC game was even an option tells me he might not be quite ready to leave the nest.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 10:27:56 AM »
Who would really want to establish a precedent on their resume of fucking over their previous employer?  It certainly didn't do Petrino any favors in the eyes of those who did not want him at AU.
Pay Attention (especially Creed Thumpers)

Gus just fucked over his previous employer and all the kids whom he recruited, he was there one year and took off.  After Hugh Freeze did the same thing the year before. 

To me this is no different from Tuberville leaving Ole Miss, to Saban leaving the Dolphins, to Petrino leaving the Falcons.  I am not saying that it is the right thing to do, but it is pretty much par for the course in coaching.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

JR4AU

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 10:36:43 AM »

Gus just fucked over his previous employer and all the kids whom he recruited, he was there one year and took off.  After Hugh Freeze did the same thing the year before. 

To me this is no different from Tuberville leaving Ole Miss, to Saban leaving the Dolphins, to Petrino leaving the Falcons.  I am not saying that it is the right thing to do, but it is pretty much par for the course in coaching.

Is it ever done differently?  It's how the business is.  Surely Ark. St. had no illusions of keeping Gus over 3 years, if that long?  He won the conference his first year as a HC.  If Auburn hadn't hired him, he'd likely be at Ark., TN, or somewhere. 

By the way, for all those that said him taking a pay cut from 1.2 Mill to 800K was stupid...remember I said it was an investment, not a loss, and it just netted him a 3.2Mil job in only one year.  He gave up 400k for one year, and it netted him a 2Mil raise over the job he gave up.  That's a phenomenal return on his money.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 10:40:18 AM »
Is it ever done differently?  It's how the business is. 

No, but the Petrino bashers were using it as a reason as to why Auburn shouldn't consider him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 11:03:11 AM »

Gus just fudgeed over his previous employer and all the kids whom he recruited, he was there one year and took off.  After Hugh Freeze did the same thing the year before. 

The ONLY difference I see is that it's for the BCS MNC. If that makes any difference is arguable. If I were in Smart's shoes, I prob coach that game even if it costs me a HC job. There will be others.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 11:23:17 AM »
Is it ever done differently?  It's how the business is.  Surely Ark. St. had no illusions of keeping Gus over 3 years, if that long?  He won the conference his first year as a HC.  If Auburn hadn't hired him, he'd likely be at Ark., TN, or somewhere. 

By the way, for all those that said him taking a pay cut from 1.2 Mill to 800K was stupid...remember I said it was an investment, not a loss, and it just netted him a 3.2Mil job in only one year.  He gave up 400k for one year, and it netted him a 2Mil raise over the job he gave up.  That's a phenomenal return on his money.
Not that it matters but Gus's contract is for 2.3 million.  Not 3.2
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
No, but the Petrino bashers were using it as a reason as to why Auburn shouldn't consider him.

No, listen again.  Petrino was not our choice (nor anyone else's for that matter) not because he left Louisville or Atlanta.  He was not, not the choice because he had an affair.  He was not the choice because he was the "CEO" of a multi million dollar organization that hired his mistress over much more qualified individuals, lied about the reasons for her hiring, and put that organization in jeopardy of huge law suits.  This kind of behavior will not be overlooked anytime soon by a big time school.  Petrino will have to go be a coach at a lower level nobody school, prove that he has righted his ship and then work his way back up.

Think about this as a business (which it is).  Who's going to hire Ken Lay again any time soon?  Bernie Madoff?  No One could ever trust either one of them and No One trusts Bobby Either
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 11:29:38 AM »
Not that it matters but Gus's contract is for 2.3 million.  Not 3.2

Thought I heard 3.2.  Still, a hell of a return on investment.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 11:30:53 AM »
No, listen again.  Petrino was not our choice (nor anyone else's for that matter) not because he left Louisville or Atlanta.  He was not, not the choice because he had an affair.  He was not the choice because he was the "CEO" of a multi million dollar organization that hired his mistress over much more qualified individuals, lied about the reasons for her hiring, and put that organization in jeopardy of huge law suits.  This kind of behavior will not be overlooked anytime soon by a big time school.  Petrino will have to go be a coach at a lower level nobody school, prove that he has righted his ship and then work his way back up.

Think about this as a business (which it is).  Who's going to hire Ken Lay again any time soon?  Bernie Madoff?  No One could ever trust either one of them and No One trusts Bobby Either

This.  All of it.  Anyone ignoring this is not being truthful with themselves and is not familiar with the current world in which we live.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 11:33:11 AM »
This.  All of it.  Anyone ignoring this is not being truthful with themselves and is not familiar with the current world in which we live.

But hey, it's "not about Petrino" right
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 11:35:30 AM »
No, listen again.  Petrino was not our choice (nor anyone else's for that matter) not because he left Louisville or Atlanta.  He was not, not the choice because he had an affair.  He was not the choice because he was the "CEO" of a multi million dollar organization that hired his mistress over much more qualified individuals, lied about the reasons for her hiring, and put that organization in jeopardy of huge law suits.  This kind of behavior will not be overlooked anytime soon by a big time school. Petrino will have to go be a coach at a lower level nobody school, prove that he has righted his ship and then work his way back up.

I agree however, there was a large group of folks that were using what Jarhead said as one of the main reasons.

Petrino was never my first choice.  I just never wanted Gus, mainly because of what THS and Scarbinsky have pointed out.

I am also concerned about his eye for talent &/or development of that talent because his baby (our QB situation) is a mess. 
His ability to recruit in general.
The fact that he is an offensive coach and our defense is fucked 6 ways to Sunday.
and his overall lack of experience, especially considering the state of our program.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 11:36:19 AM »
But hey, it's "not about Petrino" right
For me its not...I could give two shits about Petrino. I didn't want Gus.

I think it is a fail hire.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 11:44:12 AM »
His DC hire will make or break him, imnsho.  If he hires a proven, solid guy to lead the defense, and allows him to run the show from recruiting to schemes; then I really think he proves most of us wrong.

I think aTm and Ole Piss this season have proven that the HUNH can be effective in the SECW.  IF Malz can find a serviceable QB to run his offense in 2013, it will be a carbon copy of 2009.  With a somewhat strong defense to go with his offense, look the fuck out!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2012, 11:44:29 AM »
I agree however, there was a large group of folks that were using what Jarhead said as one of the main reasons.

Petrino was never my first choice.  I just never wanted Gus, mainly because of what THS and Scarbinsky have pointed out.

I am also concerned about his eye for talent &/or development of that talent because his baby (our QB situation) is a mess.  I'm willing to bet Frazier looks alot better back in Malzahns system.  Kid has the tools, just could not get it done in a Pro Set Offense 
His ability to recruit in general.  Most of the kids want to play in this type of system.  Do you think we have the top recruiting classes we have had if we had been running Loeffler's system?
The fact that he is an offensive coach and our defense is fucked 6 ways to Sunday.  Can't win if you can't score (see 2012)
and his overall lack of experience, especially considering the state of our program. I'll give you this one.  However Muschamp had no experience, Florida was in the shitter, and he's doing OK.  We'll just have to see
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions