Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Scarbinsky: Is Gus Malzahn strong enough to change Auburn for the better?

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Scarbinsky: Is Gus Malzahn strong enough to change Auburn for the better?
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2012, 02:08:59 PM »
With who?  Why?
This is a moot point cause it doesn't frickin matter but,

Charlie Strong
Chris Petersen
Gary Patterson
Mark Hudspeth
Dave Doeren (prior to going to NC State)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2012, 02:09:20 PM »
To address the QB situation.  Show of hands.  How many here were pissed off we signed the USA Today Player of the Year?  Thought so.

How many teams around the country would love to have signed Frazier?  I saw him play twice in HS and the kid was a stud.  Plain and simple.  But, as can often be the case, Mr. Athletic HS QB did not translate well when jumping to the best division in the nation.  But Malzahn didn't "develop" him.  How exactly do you develop an incredibly raw true freshman when there's no way he's going to be your starter?  Trotter was back with 2 years to go and some game experience under his belt....and 2 years in Malzahn's system.  Decent QB when he had his head on straight.

How do you develop a kid when your O-line goes from the most to least experienced in the country in one year?  When your 240 pound fullback is gone.  When your 2 leading receivers are gone.  When your head coach says you're not going to run the offense the way you want to. 

Oh..and Scott Leftlerzes was the OC but was brought in as much for his work with elite QB's as anything else.  Remember how we talked about that....showed practice footage of him working with the QB's?  How did Frazier's development work out there?  The kid was apparently overrated by everyone.

Zeke Pike?  Kid was running his pie hole and getting in trouble before he got to AU.  You can call it an excuse all you want but I blame Gene Chizik.  I have no problem taking a chance on a kid.  Had no problem taking a chance on Pike.  Still don't think it was a bad decision.  But they brought a kid in with known prior problems and released him into a culture (Thug culture?  Not so off base now, is it) that produced the likes of the Felony 4, Synthetic Mike, DeAngelo "I'ma pop a cap off in yo ass" Benton, Reese Sidewalk Dismukes and on and on.  So bad that it got to the point that Geno had to hire security.  Ole Zekey was in heaven, free to do what he wanted with no Yox to stick a foot up his ass.

The "Culture" and discipline are all on Chizik.  If a counselor says your starting QB ain't going to class, don't call him/her a liar.  It's not up to the OC to set up a system of monitoring and disciplining the players.  Chizik simply was in over his head and it's become more apparent every single day that he did not know how to run a program.  Not at Iowa State.  Not here.  It may have been posted already, but someone who twats on the tweeters, see if you can find Lee Ziemba's comments on the CGM hire.  I was told today you might feel a little better about things changing at Auburn.     

You're right.  It does fall at the feet of the man in charge.  I agree 100% with you on that.  We are still talking about a bunch of kids, b/c that is what they are, seeing a coach that was on staff when it was a free for all.  It will either make them not respect him or it will make then resent him when he becomes a hardass.  I hope I am wrong, but I don't see the culture changing.   I don't have warm fuzzies at all. 

Let him hire JWJr and Rock and the warm fuzzies might come back, but until he hires some mean ass assistants I will continue to doubt we will all of a sudden become hard and play with heart.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2012, 02:10:03 PM »

Charlie Strong
Chris Petersen
Gary Patterson
Mark Hudspeth

Go ahead and add David Shaw to that list for me.  I think that would have been one faptastic hire.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2012, 02:11:11 PM »
Nick Saban - Michigan State to LSU to Miami Dolphins to Alabama.  Was failing at Miami, needed to get back to college.  When he was at Mich State he was not considered the it hire at LSU

Bret Bielema - Wisconsin to Arkansas. Not impressed

Rich Rod - West Virginia to Michigan.  WVU was Mid Tier

Steve Spurrier - UF to Redskins to USC  Failing and getting Fired in Wash Needed a job

Urban Meyer - UF to OSU  Quit on Florida and was unemployed at the time of OSU hire.

Etc...

They are actually endless examples.  We chose to go the easy route, because of the buffoon Jay Jacobs and the mindset mentioned above.

Out of your examples, only 1 works and just barely and thats Bielema
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2012, 02:13:19 PM »

Charlie Strong  MEH
Chris Petersen  Not leaving Boise
Gary Patterson  We tried and failed
Mark Hudspeth  MEH
Dave Doeren (prior to going to NC State)  No better than Gus
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2012, 02:16:16 PM »
Bielema makes me want to throw up
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2012, 02:17:05 PM »

Charlie Strong  MEH
Mark Hudspeth  MEH
And you have information on all of that? You don't know if we tried on Patterson, You don't know that we couldn't get Petersen.  We need a culture change that isn't happening with Gus, if you can't see that I can't help you. 

JJ has a history of failed and shitty hires...that tells me all I need to know
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2012, 02:17:39 PM »

No need to hate on fat people.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2012, 02:18:49 PM »
Even more so when he is kicking our ass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2012, 02:20:50 PM »
Even more so when he is kicking our ass.

Jake excels against the pro style
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2012, 02:21:15 PM »

Charlie Strong  MEH
Mark Hudspeth  MEH

What he said.  Strong is a hot name, but his resume doesn't support the hype.  I think he's a good coach, but to call him a "home run hire", not even.  Petersen, or Patterson, yep.  Hudspeth?  You're kidding, right?  Doeren?  2 good seasons at Norther Fucking Illinois makes him a "home run hire"?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2012, 02:29:39 PM »
What he said.  Strong is a hot name, but his resume doesn't support the hype.  I think he's a good coach, but to call him a "home run hire", not even.  Petersen, or Patterson, yep.  Hudspeth?  You're kidding, right?  Doeren?  2 good seasons at Norther Fucking Illinois makes him a "home run hire"?
Did home run hires come out of my mouth.  You asked me who I thought was better.

and Hudspeth is 83-29 as a HC, he sure as hell has a lot more experience then Malzahn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2012, 02:30:10 PM »
Please name me 5 coaches who were at the top of their game, at a top program that went to another top program. 

Your scenario just does not happen very often.  The best coaches in the country were either plucked from a mid tier team as a HC or from the coordinator ranks. 

We went the mid tier HC route.  Sometimes they turn out great, sometimes not.  At least with Gus, he has been successful at EVERY stop along the way.  Chiz, not so much (see ISU)
Like GF said I will be on the Gus Bus eventually and have stated how much better of a hire I think he is compared to Smart.

With that said instead of naming you 5 coaches, how about this. Do you really think its unrealistic for a school like Auburn to be able to pull a guy like Patterson from TCU when Arky's last 2 hires were a coach they stole from the NFL and a guy who just curb stomped Nebraska to win his 3 Big 10 title? Do you remember Eugene's hire where Patterson didn't withdrawl his name till the eve of the announcement? Same thing this time. Rumors come out Patterson was staying at TCU late Monday night and word breaks Gus is being hired by the next afternoon. Maybe the reason Patterson decided to stay each time is because he didn't want everyone to know his ass was passed up because Jay Jacobs dumbass already had his sites set on Chizik and Gus. Seriously if the guy interviewed for the job the last 2 times, what the hell does that tell you about his interest level?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2012, 02:32:26 PM »
Did home run hires come out of my mouth.  You asked me who I thought was better.

and Hudspeth is 83-29 as a HC, he sure as hell has a lot more experience then Malzahn.

Ok, scratch the "home run hire" part.  I still disagree.  JMO, YMMV.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2012, 03:04:54 PM »
Like GF said I will be on the Gus Bus eventually and have stated how much better of a hire I think he is compared to Smart.

With that said instead of naming you 5 coaches, how about this. Do you really think its unrealistic for a school like Auburn to be able to pull a guy like Patterson from TCU when Arky's last 2 hires were a coach they stole from the NFL and a guy who just curb stomped Nebraska to win his 3 Big 10 title? Do you remember Eugene's hire where Patterson didn't withdrawl his name till the eve of the announcement? Same thing this time. Rumors come out Patterson was staying at TCU late Monday night and word breaks Gus is being hired by the next afternoon. Maybe the reason Patterson decided to stay each time is because he didn't want everyone to know his ass was passed up because Jay Jacobs dumbass already had his sites set on Chizik and Gus. Seriously if the guy interviewed for the job the last 2 times, what the hell does that tell you about his interest level?
The rookie gets it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2012, 03:19:01 PM »

Charlie Strong
Chris Petersen
Gary Patterson
Mark Hudspeth

For the record Strong was my first choice for about the last week of the  process. Petrino was my 2nd or 3rd. I like Patterson too but knew it wasn't happening. Like Peterson too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2012, 04:09:15 PM »
Out of your examples, only 1 works and just barely and thats Bielema
You asked to give 5 coaches that were on top and moved to similar programs.  I did just that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2012, 04:25:48 PM »
You asked to give 5 coaches that were on top and moved to similar programs.  I did just that.

Saban was on top in Miami?

Spurrier was on top in Washington?

Urban Meyer was unemployed

West Virginia wasn't even in a BCS conference.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2012, 06:04:57 PM »
Saban was on top in Miami?

Spurrier was on top in Washington?

Urban Meyer was unemployed

West Virginia wasn't even in a BCS conference.
Saban was on top at LSU, Meyer was on top at Florida, West Virginia almost went to the National Championship under Rodriguez, Spurrier won a National Championship at Florida.  You didn't preface your comment saying they left their program the immediate next year, regardless, it happens.  We settled for mediocrity.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."