Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

What Gus Malzahn Needs to Do to Be Successful

bgreene

Re: What Gus Malzahn Needs to Do to Be Successful
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2016, 04:43:27 PM »

Gus Malzahn: Two losses this season 'hurt me worse than any'

AUBURN, Ala. — Gus Malzahn started off his weekly Tuesday press conference candidly.

In the seven years he’s been part of Auburn’s football program, first as the offensive coordinator from 2009-11 and now in the midst of his fourth season as head coach, Malzahn noted he had “experienced some very good times, a few rough times.”

But in terms of adversity, nothing comes close to matching what he’s dealt with this season.

“The last two losses have probably hurt me worse than any of the others,” said Malzahn, referring to home defeats to Clemson and Texas A&M, respectively. “I fully understand our fan base is disappointed, and they should be. The bottom line is we've got to coach our players better, and that starts with me. The fact is, we're close. As a matter of fact, we're real close to being a good team and we're going to get this thing turned around.”

Since putting together a remarkable turnaround campaign in 2013 in h debut season — which saw the Tigers go 12-2 overall, capture the SEC title and come within 13 seconds of winning the BCS national championship — Auburn has steadily trended downward. Among the ugly marks include a seven-game home losing streak to Power 5 opponents dating back to October 2014 and a 2-10 record in their past 12 SEC contests. Things don’t get any easier this week, as Auburn hosts yet another ranked opponent at Jordan-Hare Stadium: No. 18 LSU, which comes to town Saturday for a contest set to kick off at 5 p.m. CT.

Asked how he was dealing with the unrest swirling around him, Malzahn said he's kept his head down and continued working.

“As a leader, you’ve got to correct the things that aren’t going good. That’s my job,” he said. “That’s the only thing on my mind.”

That includes dismissing the notion that Saturday’s game against No. 18 LSU is the most important of his Auburn tenure.

“I look at it (like) each game is the biggest game every time we coach against someone and the urgency that we need to get over that hump,” Malzahn said. “And like I said, we’re close. We’re very close. So it’s a big game, there’s no doubt. “
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Men are made stronger on the realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."

-Sidney Phillips

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2016, 04:48:11 PM »
Gus Malzahn: Two losses this season 'hurt me worse than any'

AUBURN, Ala. — Gus Malzahn started off his weekly Tuesday press conference candidly.

In the seven years he’s been part of Auburn’s football program, first as the offensive coordinator from 2009-11 and now in the midst of his fourth season as head coach, Malzahn noted he had “experienced some very good times, a few rough times.”

But in terms of adversity, nothing comes close to matching what he’s dealt with this season.

“The last two losses have probably hurt me worse than any of the others,” said Malzahn, referring to home defeats to Clemson and Texas A&M, respectively. “I fully understand our fan base is disappointed, and they should be. The bottom line is we've got to coach our players better, and that starts with me. The fact is, we're close.1. As a matter of fact, we're real close to being a good team and 2.we're going to get this thing turned around.”
Since putting together a remarkable turnaround campaign in 2013 in h debut season — which saw the Tigers go 12-2 overall, capture the SEC title and come within 13 seconds of winning the BCS national championship — Auburn has steadily trended downward. Among the ugly marks include a seven-game home losing streak to Power 5 opponents dating back to October 2014 and a 2-10 record in their past 12 SEC contests. Things don’t get any easier this week, as Auburn hosts yet another ranked opponent at Jordan-Hare Stadium: No. 18 LSU, which comes to town Saturday for a contest set to kick off at 5 p.m. CT.

Asked how he was dealing with the unrest swirling around him, Malzahn said he's kept his head down and continued working.

“As a leader, you’ve got to correct the things that aren’t going good. That’s my job,” he said. “That’s the only thing on my mind.”

That includes dismissing the notion that Saturday’s game against No. 18 LSU is the most important of his Auburn tenure.

“I look at it (like) each game is the biggest game every time we coach against someone and the urgency that we need to get over that hump,” Malzahn said. “And like I said, we’re close. We’re very close. So it’s a big game, there’s no doubt. “

1. True, we are good team.
2, False, we are a poorly coached team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2016, 04:53:51 PM »
I read somewhere that this game may be the biggest of Gus' career so far.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

bgreene

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2016, 04:58:15 PM »

Keep reading. He's just got to keep his head down and get over the hump...every game is big.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Men are made stronger on the realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."

-Sidney Phillips

dallaswareagle

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2016, 04:58:23 PM »

Link? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2016, 05:04:59 PM »
"This team's gonna get better, and they're gonna fight," Malzahn said after the game. "That's the positive."

"We're gonna get better," Malzahn vowed. "I promise you that."

Remarks after last years loss at MSU
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

dallaswareagle

« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2016, 05:13:42 PM »
"This team's gonna get better, and they're gonna fight," Malzahn said after the game. "That's the positive."

"We're gonna get better," Malzahn vowed. "I promise you that."

Remarks after last years loss at MSU

Maybe we should try and pin him down on a year?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2016, 09:08:09 PM »
PS:
Fuck the iPhone 10 update.

Pretty sure autocorrect has sucked long before your update.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2016, 09:13:28 PM »
Don't know if serious but yes. Saturday is huge.

No time for jokes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Ogre

« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2016, 08:46:39 AM »
After reviewing the film, he said his offense is "so close. It's scary how close we are."

- Tony Franklin, September 18, 2008 (LSU week)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2016, 08:59:32 AM »
Saturday is a big game. Who are we playing?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2016, 09:04:58 AM »
http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Auburn-names-starting-quarterback-for-LSU-47633548

AUBURN, Ala. — Nothing is changing at quarterback at Auburn, apparently.

Sean White will remain Auburn's starter heading into a showdown with No. 18 LSU in what might be the most important game of Gus Malzahn's career.

"We feel like he gives us the best chance of winning," Malzahn said. "We've got to be better around him. We've got to put him in better situations from a coaching standpoint to help him. That's the reason.

Malzahn said John Franklin III "will be available."

Franklin III played the entire fourth quarter of the 29-16 loss to Texas A&M. The offense averaged 6.1 yards per play, the best quarter in the game, with Franklin III at quarterback.

Kickoff Saturday is scheduled for 5 p.m. CT on ESPN.
GOD DAMN IT!!!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2016, 09:09:46 AM »
Yeah.  He said we were close lots of times last year.  This isn't horseshoes. 

And I don't believe we ARE close. I'm not seeing a situation where plays are close to breaking. What I see instead is a bewildering pattern of stubbornness. Yes in 2013 we banged out six yards on a first down dive. But we had the viable option of a Marshall run and a better offensive line.  We had Tre Mason.  It doesn't work now. And it's not "close."   

When that doesn't work the predictable jet sweep or bubble screen on second down catches no one by surprise.

Third down is a comedy. Tragicomedy.  Throw long or run for your life from the three man rush. 

At some point it dawns on Gus that it's not working.  His response?  Throw a medium route pass on first down?  Nope.  Dipsy doodle and a new QB. 

We aren't close.  It's not execution.  It's design. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

bgreene

« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2016, 09:17:38 AM »
Extra, Extra read all about it!!! Breaking news coming out of Auburn, AL.

Gus Malzahn admits his play calling has not been good

AUBURN, Ala. — No one can deny Gus Malzahn is trying new things this season.

The problem is those new ideas are not working as well as he hoped.

The offensive play-caller and Auburn head coach admitted Saturday the first three games of the season have not been good for him as the Tigers’ game planner on offense. The hurry-up, no-huddle approach has been jerky-jerky at best, and predictable at other times.

“Hadn’t been very good, it’s gotta be better,” Malzahn said. “It’s gotta be better and it will get better.”

The head-scratching decision started in Week 1 with three quarterbacks rotating in the game, with two running backs handling snaps in Wildcat formations. The plan didn’t work and Auburn looked lost offensively at times. A week later, Auburn put up 706 yards against Arkansas State, the highest total against an FBS opponent in program history.

On Saturday, the Tigers (1-2, 0-1 SEC) fell back to Earth. They put up 399 yards, but did so on 89 plays and stalled more often than not. The Tigers were so bad offensively that 11 straight possessions resulted in eight punts, one field goal, a turnover on downs and a fumble.

A look at the numbers show a heavy reliance on running plays on first down. Texas A&M sniffed out those plays often, setting up an average distance of third-and-9 on third downs. They attacked the mesh point on zone-read plays and Auburn didn’t do much in the way of adjustments. The first play resulted in a sack, and the play was blown up again in the fourth quarter. Malzahn called it a coaching problem and not a blocking problem.

Are the issues limited to game planning? Are adjustments in the game also not up to snuff?

“It’s all of the above,” Malzahn said.

Auburn has called 78 run plays on first down and 29 pass plays on first down this season. The Tigers have converted five of 29 passes into first downs and 15 of 78 runs into first downs.

The predictability on offense is certainly weighing into the favor of defensive coordinators, who have hit Auburn behind the line of scrimmage 32 times, the highest mark in the country.

Malzahn called the two losses this season “have probably hurt me worse than any of the others” in his seven years on the Plains as an offensive coordinator and head coach The question now is whether the showdown with No. 18 LSU (2-1, 1-0) is the biggest game of his career, especially considering the Tigers’ record in the last 12 SEC games (2-10) and a seven-game losing streak at home against Power 5 teams (the second-worst streak in the country).

The outcry from fans has been loud in recent days. Malzahn said he can hear their cries. If he looked to the stands with 7 minutes remaining against the Aggies, he would have seen a horde of fans leaving Jordan-Hare Stadium.

“I definitely feel their pain first of all,” Malzahn said. “I know the Auburn family and I know their expectations. I don’t read social media, I just know. They expect us to play good football and I hurt, too. Matter of fact, like I just said, we’ve got to do a better job — I gotta do a better job. And we’re going to.”

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-coach-Gus-Malzahn-admits-his-play-calling-has-not-been-go-47639927
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

-Sidney Phillips

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2016, 09:46:22 AM »
He honestly has become Coach Kline

Once the quarterback has the ball, he fakes to the left. No. He fakes to the right. He doesn't fake. He thinks about faking. He pretends to fake.

I don't know where I am
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

dallaswareagle

« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2016, 10:12:01 AM »

Once the quarterback has the ball, he fakes to the left. No. He fakes to the right. He doesn't fake. He thinks about faking. He pretends to fake.

I don't know where I am

That's very offensive to coach Kline. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2016, 10:17:58 AM »

We aren't close.  It's not execution.  It's design.

ED Zachary.  Did he run this in 09' when he had a QB incapable of running what he is today?  Nope.  Take Chris Todd and replace him with Sean White, a QB with probably a better arm and 10X the speed, in that offense.  We averaged over 33 points per game.  How hard is it to see that his QB today doesn't come close to fitting the offense he's running?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2016, 10:34:57 AM »
ED Zachary.  Did he run this in 09' when he had a QB incapable of running what he is today?  Nope.  Take Chris Todd and replace him with Sean White, a QB with probably a better arm and 10X the speed, in that offense.  We averaged over 33 points per game.  How hard is it to see that his QB today doesn't come close to fitting the offense he's running?

Right now to Gus its a million miles away.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »

I don't know where I am
And he took my notebook
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2016, 11:06:39 AM »
And he took my notebook

Hey we already have a gif for that with Malzahn's Face, get with the format.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum