Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

What Gus Malzahn Needs to Do to Be Successful

What Gus Malzahn Needs to Do to Be Successful
« on: December 04, 2012, 04:06:56 PM »
Gus Malzahn must:

1.  Instill a sense of discipline amongst our undisciplined players who became undisciplined while Gus Malzahn was a coach at Auburn.

2.  Instill a sense of mental toughness amongst our mentally weak players who became mentally weak while Gus Malzahn was a coach at Auburn.

3.  Find a quarterback that can be competitive amongst the three quarterbacks that he personally recruited. 

4.  Find a way to keep talented players on the roster such as Zeke Pike and Michael Dyer, who Gus Malzahn recruited to play at Auburn.

5.  Respond to the state media who loves to promote Alabama and find anything worthy to attack Auburn such as a bat-shit crazy wife or connection to any kind of recruiting infractions or rumored recruiting infractions. 

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: What Gus Malzahn Needs to Do to Be Successful
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 04:11:47 PM »
...quit so that we can finally hire BMFP.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 04:17:40 PM »

I like the way you think. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 04:25:07 PM »
I like the way you think.

If a pr hit is gonna happen either way, why not hire the best x's and O's coach available? That's my point. People had themselves believing if we steered clear of bp we would be ok as far as pr goes. Bs. Guarantee you finebaum and state media had cons they were to hark on of every candidate we had. They were ready set to pounce no matter who we picked. But the warblogles of the base were too busy singing kumbaya diddling their little peckers to pictures of gus.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 04:30:02 PM »
I'd like to add -

It's not that I really think Gus is a bad coach.  He's not Gene Chizik.  I just don't think this is the right time and place for him.  Our football is bad.  Really bad.

We don't have a quarterback.  Our running backs aren't that good.  I like Tre Mason's work ethic, and I think he has some skills, but he's not going to win us games.  He's half the running back Dyer was. 

Our receivers are putrid.  Emory Blake is gone.  Our tight ends don't block.  They don't catch very well. 

Our defensive line is soft.  Softer than a pillow.  Have been since 2011. 

We don't have any linebackers.  Kris Frost?  Cass McKinzy?  Who?  I mean, those guys filled in and impressed us as fans, but we lost those games.  They impressed us because they weren't Jake Holland.  I doubt they would start on any other SEC team.

Our secondary is swiss cheese.  Has been since 2009. 

Gus Malzahn has the task of rebuilding an ENTIRE football team.  From top to bottom.  He has to change the culture.  The attitude.  The expectations.  The talent.  The logistics.  The reputation. 

Everything.  Gene Chizik created a total mess.  The only positive is that many of these players had potential coming out of high school.

And what makes it even more difficult is that Gus Malzahn helped cultivate this culture.  He helped create this mess.  The current players that played under Malzahn remember him as a coach that was part of Gene Chizik's style of coaching. 

Good luck, Gus.  I hope you have endurance because it's going to take a monumental effort 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for most likely a few years to truly resuscitate this program. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 04:35:26 PM »
I agree with everything except Mason.

I think that kid can be a good player.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 04:43:53 PM »
:bugs:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

jmar

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 04:51:58 PM »

:bugs:
It's both funny and desireable.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:55:13 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 06:51:53 PM »
Beat me to it.

:taunt: "RESIGN"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 07:06:01 PM »
Gus needs to pay Cam to come back to the plains.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

JR4AU

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 07:17:35 PM »
Gus Malzahn must:

1.  Instill a sense of discipline amongst our undisciplined players who became undisciplined while Gus Malzahn was a coach at Auburn.

2.  Instill a sense of mental toughness amongst our mentally weak players who became mentally weak while Gus Malzahn was a coach at Auburn.

3.  Find a quarterback that can be competitive amongst the three quarterbacks that he personally recruited. 

4.  Find a way to keep talented players on the roster such as Zeke Pike and Michael Dyer, who Gus Malzahn recruited to play at Auburn.

5.  Respond to the state media who loves to promote Alabama and find anything worthy to attack Auburn such as a bat-shit crazy wife or connection to any kind of recruiting infractions or rumored recruiting infractions. 

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

If I didn't know better, I'd think Malzahn was the HEAD COACH we just fired.  Not saying I'm thrilled with the hire, but it wasn't his program.  He ran the offense, and wasn't even allowed to do that the way he wanted. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 07:22:58 PM »
If I didn't know better, I'd think Malzahn was the HEAD COACH we just fired.  Not saying I'm thrilled with the hire, but it wasn't his program.  He ran the offense, and wasn't even allowed to do that the way he wanted.

I agree-Look, I don't know what will happen, I hope he becomes the best coach we ever hire. I know folks have there reservations but lets at least give him a chance, ( Do we really have a choice?) I would say his first test is seeing if he can keep the 2013 class in tact somewhat.

I think most of the anger should be directed a Gene and JJ for putting us in this situation with their fucked up ass way of doing shit.

Be interesting to see what the players are saying.

CGM is now my head corch- 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

jmar

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 08:15:45 PM »
I agree-Look, I don't know what will happen, I hope he becomes the best coach we ever hire. I know folks have there reservations but lets at least give him a chance, ( Do we really have a choice?) I would say his first test is seeing if he can keep the 2013 class in tact somewhat.

I think most of the anger should be directed a Gene and JJ for putting us in this situation with their fucked up ass way of doing shit.

Be interesting to see what the players are saying.

CGM is now my head corch-
Gogue and Jacobs got their man and didn't have to search. Gus Malzahn is Auburn's head coach and he's a terrific offensive coordinator when allowed to do it his way.

I just agree with Rob Pate and Terry Henley. And they have no choice either but to accept the man. 
Go get 'em Gus! 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Yoda

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 08:41:29 PM »
First Jacobs and Gouge must go.  Obvious reasons for Jacobs.  Gouge has made it clear that he wants nothing to do with football and sports so he hires a fucking idiot to do it for him.  To me if I don't want to be involved in something I hire someone that I know can do the fucking job, not a fucking clown.

Second, I am not thrilled with the hire but then again I did not expect much with above clown calling the shots.  However I will give Malzahn credit for the 3 years he was there.  He was the reason we won the games that we did.  He was able to put the points on the board.  He was not the one responsible for the shitty defense we had.

A lot of things must be addressed and grabbed by the horns to fix the problems, I don't know if he is capable of changing the culture, but we will soon find out.

We all knew this was coming or at least this type of hire was coming.  When Chizik was fired the problem was not addressed. As long as the dumbasses in charge are still employed by Auburn University things will not change.  The most surprising thing to me is that the PTB for Auburn are so fucking stupid that they can't fix the real problems.  I love Auburn everything about it, I only wish that one day I would have enough money to be a PTB for Auburn, at least that way there would be one less dumb ass that calls the shots.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A girl's legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part.
-- Redd Foxx

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 09:15:18 PM »
Got to say Smart was my best guess but Malzahn was my hope. How many alumni and dirt roads were afraid we would lose him after his 1st yr at AU? Now he's not good enuff?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 09:18:33 PM »
Got to say Smart was my best guess but Malzahn was my hope. How many alumni and dirt roads were afraid we would lose him after his 1st yr at AU? Now he's not good enuff?

Really. He's an O genius.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 09:40:13 PM »
Gus I do think will be successful IF he gets a great DC AND he gets the players under control.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 10:59:46 PM »
Gus I do think will be successful IF he gets a great DC AND he gets the players under control.
Thats a big fucking IF
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!