Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Who Is In Charge?

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Who Is In Charge?
« on: October 08, 2012, 03:59:13 PM »
A whole series of questions here.  If we do make a change, and I fear we won't, who actually handles the search/hiring process?  I take it from past experience that the AD heads up the search but the final say comes from the BOT.  When Chizik was hired, was there a committee formed or did Jacobs simply look to his own sources and go after who he wanted at the time?  It seems I recall him being the sole mouthpiece during the entire process. 

I just checked the list of trustees and I feel embarrassed to say that outside the Guvnah (Bama man) I really only recognized Jimmy Rane.  Is he the most influential member on the Board?  He's certainly the most recognizable.  Are there other big money members on there that pack some punch?  Is there anyone on there with the kahones (Women included) to stand up and tell Jacobs his performance ain't cuttin' it and it's time to move on?  Are they in the same boat as Jacobs in that I'm sure some of them recommended JJ for AD but can't admit his suckage. 

Let me also add that despite the general perception to the contrary, I don't believe Pat Dye has any influence whatsoever where this football program is concerned.  Is he consulted from time to time?  Probably.  I think he did have a hand as far as giving his endorsement of Gene Chizik.  But as for calling any shots...you'd never make me believe it.  I think this athletic department is run by a very small and select group of people who most likely enjoy the control more than doing what's best for AU.  And that goes against everything Pat Dye seems to stand for.  My skreetz consist of a dirty 3 foot wide alley in the heart of the projects in downtown Cleveland.  But I do hear enough to know Dye has very little access to anything or anyone of importance in that select group.

Where does change start if Chizik doesn't orchestrate a turnaround of Biblical proportions?  Will change even be initiated with a 3-9 season?  Is everyone scared to admit their own mistake and keep the status quo?     

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Re: Who Is In Charge?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 04:01:47 PM »
I've always heard that a good AD has a list of 4-5 people for any given sport who they could call if they suddenly had a vacancy.

I just worry that Jay Jacobs list looks like:

1) Batman
2) Santa Claus
3) The Tooth Fairy
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 04:03:45 PM »
A whole series of questions here.  If we do make a change, and I fear we won't, who actually handles the search/hiring process?  I take it from past experience that the AD heads up the search but the final say comes from the BOT.  When Chizik was hired, was there a committee formed or did Jacobs simply look to his own sources and go after who he wanted at the time?  It seems I recall him being the sole mouthpiece during the entire process. 

I just checked the list of trustees and I feel embarrassed to say that outside the Guvnah (Bama man) I really only recognized Jimmy Rane.  Is he the most influential member on the Board?  He's certainly the most recognizable.  Are there other big money members on there that pack some punch?  Is there anyone on there with the kahones (Women included) to stand up and tell Jacobs his performance ain't cuttin' it and it's time to move on?  Are they in the same boat as Jacobs in that I'm sure some of them recommended JJ for AD but can't admit his suckage. 

Let me also add that despite the general perception to the contrary, I don't believe Pat Dye has any influence whatsoever where this football program is concerned.  Is he consulted from time to time?  Probably.  I think he did have a hand as far as giving his endorsement of Gene Chizik.  But as for calling any shots...you'd never make me believe it.  I think this athletic department is run by a very small and select group of people who most likely enjoy the control more than doing what's best for AU.  And that goes against everything Pat Dye seems to stand for.  My skreetz consist of a dirty 3 foot wide alley in the heart of the projects in downtown Cleveland.  But I do hear enough to know Dye has very little access to anything or anyone of importance in that select group.

Where does change start if Chizik doesn't orchestrate a turnaround of Biblical proportions?  Will change even be initiated with a 3-9 season?  Is everyone scared to admit their own mistake and keep the status quo?   

If a change is not made, I will not donate or Renew season tickets for this coming year. If enough people do that then change will happen.

Dye doesn't have the power many think he does but his nose is in way too many things. He has more influence than a drunk old man should. And Jacobs is a cluster fuck.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 04:10:28 PM »

Let me also add that despite the general perception to the contrary, I don't believe Pat Dye has any influence whatsoever where this football program is concerned.  Is he consulted from time to time?  Probably.  I think he did have a hand as far as giving his endorsement of Gene Chizik.  But as for calling any shots...you'd never make me believe it.  I think this athletic department is run by a very small and select group of people who most likely enjoy the control more than doing what's best for AU.Our main problem.  And that goes against everything Pat Dye seems to stand for.  My skreetz consist of a dirty 3 foot wide alley in the heart of the projects in downtown Cleveland.  But I do hear enough to know Dye has very little access to anything or anyone of importance in that select group.

Where does change start if Chizik doesn't orchestrate a turnaround of Biblical proportions?  Will change even be initiated with a 3-9 season?  Is everyone scared to admit their own mistake and keep the status quo?Yes   

So with above, who in the fuck worth a damn is going to want to come in a ride this ragged horse Jackass
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 04:21:50 PM »
I don't think getting a top flight coach to AU would be a problem. The facilities, the name, the fan support, the league and the $$$ make Auburn as attractive a position as you'll find. However, I'd question this administration's desire to hire a big name and hand him the keys to the city. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 04:25:40 PM »
I don't think getting a top flight coach to AU would be a problem. The facilities, the name, the fan support, the league and the $$$ make Auburn as attractive a position as you'll find. However, I'd question this administration's desire to hire a big name and hand him the keys to the city.

As you stated eariler watch out sunbelt/mac/big east-  We coming fo one of you coaches. 

And something to lighten mood:

Why are our kickoffs in the morning?

Cause dat's when the cartoons are on.  :haha:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

jmar

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 04:36:42 PM »
From my point of view, it feels like the Auburn program is being rented out-not unlike UAB.

It's a puppet regime. The principal is thought to be retired while another heavy is playing several hands at the table. My instincts tell me that Jacobs and Chizik need to go, and today none too soon. Pay the buyout and save the program.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 04:53:05 PM »
I don't think getting a top flight coach to AU would be a problem.
Then why didn't they do it when they canned CTT?  This may not be a popular way of wording it on an AU forum, but whoever was to be hired after CTT was essentialy going to be Auburn's answer to Nick Saban.  I think that's part of what caused the outrage when Chizik was announced.  It was supposed to be somebody who would make you say "Tommy who?".  Call me crazy, but I think Jacobs knew that CTT could probably turn things around.  However, there was an ax to grind and this might be his only shot at winning the pissing match that had been going on.  Maybe CTT really was done and just couldn't recruit or perform on the same level.  We will never know.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

dallaswareagle

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 04:53:48 PM »
From my point of view, it feels like the Auburn program is being rented out-not unlike UAB.

It's a puppet regime. The principal is thought to be retired while another heavy is playing several hands at the table. My instincts tell me that Jacobs and Chizik need to go, and today none too soon. Pay the buyout and save the program.

Well we are closer to UAB/Savannah State then we are the elite of the SEC. We are taking ass whippings’-Should we not be getting paid?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 04:56:30 PM »
Then why didn't they do it when they canned CTT?  This may not be a popular way of wording it on an AU forum, but whoever was to be hired after CTT was essentialy going to be Auburn's answer to Nick Saban.  I think that's part of what caused the outrage when Chizik was announced.  It was supposed to be somebody who would make you say "Tommy who?".  Call me crazy, but I think Jacobs knew that CTT could probably turn things around.  However, there was an ax to grind and this might be his only shot at winning the pissing match that had been going on.  Maybe CTT really was done and just couldn't recruit or perform on the same level.  We will never know.   

You don't know what you are talking about.

Jacobs is the problem. Until he is gone, it doesn't matter what happens with Chizik. If JJ hires another football coach, it will be someone like Chizik.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 05:36:01 PM »
Jacobs is the problem. Until he is gone, it doesn't matter what happens with Chizik. If JJ hires another football coach, it will be someone like Chizik.
That was exactly my point in another thread.  My opening question was more rhetorical than anything, really.  If it was going to happen, it would have happened when CTT left. Like you, I also have no reason to believe that Jacobs will hire somebody that is proven.  At first I thought that some of the stories that folks like Kaos told were just overly dramatic.  Now?  I have to believe it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »
At first I thought that some of the stories that folks like Kaos told were just overly dramatic.  Now?  I have to believe it.

So you really are a goat fucker?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 05:50:38 PM »
People, have we forgotten our 80's sitcoms.

Charles is in fucking charge.

And sometimes he lets Buddy be in charge...but then shit gets fucked up and Charles has to step back in.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 05:51:17 PM »

They'd rather have a yes man. You know this. It's a case of an idiot having too much power. Just like jerry jones in big d. He'd rather have a little bitch and keep his self inflated ego than to win. Same with Jacobs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 06:51:09 PM »
I've always heard that a good AD has a list of 4-5 people for any given sport who they could call if they suddenly had a vacancy.

1) Batman
2) Santa Claus
3) The Tooth Fairy
I think it'd look more like:

1) Mr Magoo
2) Homer Simpson
3) Charlie Brown
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

oldautiger

• Resident Old Fart
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 09:01:55 PM »
I think it'd look more like:

1) Mr Magoo
2) Homer Simpson
3) Charlie Brown

Don't be dissin Charlie Brown.  That mofo is an animal. I'm betting on the tooth fairy, or maybe the easter bunny.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses of you need 'em." - Webb Wilder

"Auburn is no Harvard, M.I.T. or Alabama - Thank GOD for small favors" - Anonymous

I can't recommend sex, drugs and rock 'n roll to everybody, but they've worked for me. - Me

JR4AU

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 11:09:25 PM »
You don't know what you are talking about.

Doesn't it necessarily follow that if JJ is the problem, the real problem is Dye?  I don't care if JJ is actually making the decisions, he's listening to Dye when he does. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 12:21:13 AM »

Generally when the decision is made that a coach is going to "resign" in the off season a third party company is hired to send out the feelers.  This way the coaches on "the short list" can be contacted, and interested coaches can let their interest be known, with both sides (the university and the coach) being able to deny contacting the other.  This also allows coaches/universities to perform a search during the season without having to do things as obvious as, oh I don't know, flying to Louisville on a private jet owned by a BOT member to speak to a coach face to face (I know a ridiculous scenario, but just consider it an example).   How do I know this?  I heard Pat Dye's son (who is an agent, can't remember his name) describe the process on a radio interview a few years back.  So I may not have skreetz, but I do have wavez.

But I think eventually the third party company turns over the list of interested coaches that the U have also expressed an interest in to the AD and it is his job to do the interviewing.  He then recommends the person to be hired to the BOT and they vote on it. (2nd paragraph is my supposin' I have no skreetz or wavez on this)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 07:23:27 AM »

1) Batman
2) Santa Claus
3) The Tooth Fairy

You forgot the male-friendly lesbian
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 08:55:34 AM »
I heard Pat Dye's son (who is an agent, can't remember his name) describe the process on a radio interview a few years back.  So I may not have skreetz, but I do have wavez.

Uh you mean Pat Dye Jr.?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.