Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Why I'm dissatisfied

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Why I'm dissatisfied
« on: September 19, 2012, 04:29:08 PM »
LSU is one reason.  Nobody could win there.  It was a mediocre program for years and years. 

(For reference, consider that .650 is about 8 wins a year)

Bernie Moore in the 30s and 40s had a .670 WP. 
Gaynell Tinsley was barely over .500
Paul Dietzel's six years averaged .650.
Jerry Stovall was barely over .500
Bill Arnsparger had just two years at .750
Mike Archer went .598
Curley Hallman was .364
Gerry Dinardo went .578. 

So from about 1979 to 2000 (21 years) with the exception of two Arnsparger years, LSU was barely over .500.  Saban went .750 in his three.

Then they hired Miles. 

Who didn't ridicule that?  Who didn't make fun of him and think he was the biggest boob ever?  What's Miles done?  He's taken a program that had no real historical basis -- certainly not the legacy Auburn had -- and has an .806 WP. 

LSU had two SEC titles between 1958 and 2001.  One in 1970, one 16 years later in 1986, another one fifteen more years later in 2001. Since then, four. 

Miles replaced offensive coordinators, replaced defensive coordinators, changed offensive and defensive schemes, handled NCAA queries, handled player injuries and ignorance and recruited his ass off.

LSU was not relevant before Miles. Even the Saban years were seen as anomalies then.  They were half a rung above MSU.  They considered Ole Miss to be their biggest rival.

Today?  We're their punching bag. 

Why?  And don't tell me about schemes and youth and all that other mess. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Why I'm dissatisfied
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 04:37:37 PM »
But we're young!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 04:39:13 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »
And Oregon is just so fast.

I've heard for years that LSU has no real competition recruiting against them in the State of Louisiana.  But, hasn't it been that way since the beginning of time?  When did Louisiana football become an assembly line of elite players?  Auburn is right in the middle of as fertile a recruiting base as any team out there. We've traditionally signed a ton of players out of Georgia.  Alabama football may not be on par with Georgia or Florida but it produces it's share of top flight players each and every year. And Florida?  Loaded with talent.

If your staff is doing it's job in recruiting, then no reason a program like Auburn or Georgia or Alabama etc. shouldn't be in the top 10 in recruiting rankings every year.  And by doing its job, I mean busting your ass on the recruiting trail.  Not going back and taking shots but CTT was a prime example of getting it done (Bum-rushing the Carnell Williams of the world)  and taking a blow, (His last couple of years.)  This staff seems to be doing it and you would think they're poised to start being a perennial top 10 team in actual rankings.  Why the victories in recruiting are not translating into wins...and in fact we seem to be digressing..is beyond me.  In MOST cases...not all...but most times, when a team consistently pulls in top classes every year, it does translate to success on the field. Why not Auburn?   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

chinook

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 05:29:13 PM »

coincidence...i think not. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 06:11:32 PM »
Excellent points.

I have no doubt that Auburn - no matter how good Alabama is - can be a dominant program in the SEC.  We've seen that top talent can and will visit and sign with Auburn despite the absolute dominance Alabama has had in recruiting. 

Tuberville loaded up with Florida kids.  Chizik has had success in Arkansas and Texas.  We aren't limited to snagging the left-behinds in Alabama and Georgia. 

Because of that, as long as there is a good coach at Auburn, we should always win. 

It's why I - apparently one of the few here - am fully on board with the "Fire Gene Chizik at the end of this season" campaign. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 06:27:51 PM »

It's why I - apparently one of the few here - am fully on board with the "Fire Gene Chizik at the end of this season" campaign.

I am fully on board. It will take a whole hell of a lot to get me off...

Actually only about 30 seconds...if you know what I mean
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 06:36:28 PM »
Excellent points.

I have no doubt that Auburn - no matter how good Alabama is - can be a dominant program in the SEC.  We've seen that top talent can and will visit and sign with Auburn despite the absolute dominance Alabama has had in recruiting. 

Tuberville loaded up with Florida kids.  Chizik has had success in Arkansas and Texas.  We aren't limited to snagging the left-behinds in Alabama and Georgia. 

Because of that, as long as there is a good coach at Auburn, we should always win. 

I am also on board.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 06:44:37 PM »
I can no longer find any wagons. 

Can't find any to get on, can't find any to circle, can't find any to paint, can't find any to train, can't find any to ho. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 12:27:54 PM »
It's the scheme

You guys just need to be patient!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions