Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Honestly....

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
Re: Honestly....
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2012, 07:55:18 PM »
Scientific theories are much different than layman's theories. 

I think you're confusing theory with hypothesis.  I'm not a scientist, but I know that when scientists use the word "theory," it means that tests and analyses have consistently confirmed the hypothesis. 

Which is why "M-Theory" is such science fiction bullshit.  You can't test for it.  It's not falsifiable making it hack science.  To a person who studies science, bringing up m-theory is no different than a creationist claiming "God did it!"

The question of whether a hypothesis is a theory depends upon how many tests or evidence you think is necessary for it to become a theory.  M-theory, for example, is based upon string theory, which can be tested via microgravity experiments and particle colliders.  Most scientists who study string theory seem to agree that there are at least 11 dimensions/branes/planes/whatever you want to call them, as that's the only way that they can get the math to match existing theories.

Now, the "theory" that these branes collided in order to make "bubbles" that create multiple (maybe infinite) universes is definitely more of a hypothesis, as we don't really see any evidence of that and don't have a way to test it, nor do we have an existing mathematical framework to try to fit that hypothesis into.

At any rate, you get to a point where any theory has an assumption.  If it didn't, it wouldn't be a theory.  Some "theories" may have more evidence than some "hypotheses," but they all have to make a conclusion based on an assumption.  And that assumption could be wrong.

Until we find something definitive that clears up assumptions on either side, there won't be a prevailing belief that is verified as true.  The Higgs boson does not, at this point in time, appear to be that definitive discovery that we need to rid ourselves of assumptions and identify a clear, completely factually based conclusion.  It gets us further along in our understanding, but I think that it will create more questions than answers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2012, 08:14:27 PM »
Just wanted to point this out as well:

To a person who studies science, bringing up m-theory is no different than a creationist claiming "God did it!"

That has basically been my point all along.  The Higgs boson doesn't prove God's existence, nor does it disprove it.  All of these assumptions that are made in a variety of scientific theories and religious beliefs are still just that:  assumptions.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2012, 09:14:50 PM »
That has basically been my point all along.  The Higgs boson doesn't prove God's existence, nor does it disprove it.

I don't think anyone here disagrees with this, sooooo, basically this has been everyones point.....
on the X.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2012, 09:44:25 PM »
Yea, and I'd like to be king of all Londinium and wear a shiny hat.

Mmm. They call it Mudder's Milk. All the protein, vitamins and carbs of your grandma's best turkey dinner, plus fifteen percent alcohol.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions