No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
Re: Apple's new CEO is fucking up
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 04:37:01 PM »
Can't you purchase the "Apple Care Protection"?  None of their machines have ever been "user serviceable".  You have to take them back to the "Apple Store" and you pay full price for repair or hope that you have the Apple Care Protection and it's covered. Then they send it off to depot and have it repaired unless the shop you are dealing with is a fully equipped repair center with "Certified" Apple Technicians on staff.  They are a lot like IBM and Global Services, they make it so hard to work on that you have to purchase the support for an extra $350. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 05:30:27 PM »
<snicker>
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 05:31:07 PM »
I'll never buy a mac. PC and  linux for me. I've been using linux exclusively for about 8 years now. Stated learning Redhat 9 in 2002. Apache is cool too. About to load open BSD 5 on my desktop and take it for a spin. Fuck Apple and Microsoft up the ass with a fist.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 05:35:20 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 05:36:55 PM »
I like to walk into the apple store and cropdust the hell out of everyone in there. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 07:36:21 PM »
I like to walk into the apple store and cropdust the hell out of everyone in there.
Can I watch?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 12:22:23 AM »
I'll never buy a mac. PC and  linux for me. I've been using linux exclusively for about 8 years now. Stated learning Redhat 9 in 2002. Apache is cool too. About to load open BSD 5 on my desktop and take it for a spin. Fuck Apple and Microsoft up the ass with a fist.
Not going to get into the Mac vs PC debate, but nothing wrong with Mac Hardware, if one knows command line and anything about the Mac OS you soon realize that is BSD and Darwin with some Apple flavored commands thrown in the mix.  Had one at my desk for about 6 years and managed two 256 Linux clusters and one 3000 CPU Mac Cluster.  I also was a backup for 44 frames of P690 Regattas running AIX.  It wasn't a problem for us as myself and two others were "Apple Certified" and we were our own service center.  Dead CPU, no issue, we just sent a request in and it was shipped to us the next day and we fixed it in house. 

The only problem I have with Apple is the proprietary bullshit, they won't let you work on your own machine without being a repair center and the cost.  Same issue I have with IBM.  Nothing in the world wrong with the functionality of the Mac OS and the HW is pretty solid for the most part.  Now saying that give me an AMD Opteron based machine with RedHat.  I hate microsoft with the burning fury of 1000 suns.  They can eat shit and die.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 12:28:23 AM »
Another thing that pissed me off about Apple was when they went from the different CPU's.  Motorola AltiVec, IBM ppc970 were both fine processors but neither could keep up with Apple's demand.  Instead of doing something smart like buying out AMD when they were in financial trouble and having all the CPU's they could produce, they go with Intel.  It's not like they couldn't have bought out AMD.  They had/have the money. Fuck Intel too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 06:35:04 AM »
Can I watch?

You must not know what crop dusting is or you would not like to be anywhere around.

I always ask to use their bathroom on the off chance that they let me one day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 09:04:09 AM »
Not going to get into the Mac vs PC debate, but nothing wrong with Mac Hardware, if one knows command line and anything about the Mac OS you soon realize that is BSD and Darwin with some Apple flavored commands thrown in the mix.  Had one at my desk for about 6 years and managed two 256 Linux clusters and one 3000 CPU Mac Cluster.  I also was a backup for 44 frames of P690 Regattas running AIX.  It wasn't a problem for us as myself and two others were "Apple Certified" and we were our own service center.  Dead CPU, no issue, we just sent a request in and it was shipped to us the next day and we fixed it in house. 

The only problem I have with Apple is the proprietary bullshit, they won't let you work on your own machine without being a repair center and the cost.  Same issue I have with IBM.  Nothing in the world wrong with the functionality of the Mac OS and the HW is pretty solid for the most part.  Now saying that give me an AMD Opteron based machine with RedHat.  I hate microsoft with the burning fury of 1000 suns.  They can eat shit and die.

BF is just running off at the mouth. Apple is UNIX based just like Linux when it gets down to command line level. Except much more polished. More limited than Red hat and Android? Perhaps, but a much smoother product. And I've had them all. They all have their pros and cons and it just depends on what you are looking for. I was sick of all of the errors, instability and freeze ups from MS and Android. And whether people like it or not, Apple has forced the others to put better products out and upped the bar industry wide.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 09:10:03 AM »

The fact that you have to "LEARN" Redhat has always been an obvious flaw with Linux OS's. You shouldn't have to be a developer with command line knowledge to use an OS. 

BTW - Apache is normally run in a UNIX environment, but can be run on Windows boxes as well. Jakarta has been making tomcat for enterprises for a LONG time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 09:14:28 AM »
You must not know what crop dusting is or you would not like to be anywhere around.

I always ask to use their bathroom on the off chance that they let me one day.

The best crop dusting is done the next day after beer drinking and Waffle House. The cooker is ripe.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 09:16:08 AM »
The best crop dusting is done the next day after beer drinking and Waffle House. The cooker is ripe.

Was thinking the morning after a trip to Krystal. But we'll accept Waffle House and beer as correct answers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 10:21:32 AM »
BF is just running off at the mouth. Apple is UNIX based just like Linux when it gets down to command line level. Except much more polished. More limited than Red hat and Android? Perhaps, but a much smoother product. And I've had them all. They all have their pros and cons and it just depends on what you are looking for. I was sick of all of the errors, instability and freeze ups from MS and Android. And whether people like it or not, Apple has forced the others to put better products out and upped the bar industry wide.

That is what I hate about the Apple bashers, don't hate on the HW or the OS, hate on the cost and the fact they are proprietary and require you to purchase Apple Care in order to have your machine covered.  If I could walk into a shop here in town and buy parts for Mac's that I could install myself without having to buy directly from Apple (which you can't unless you are a reseller or repair center) then I would have no issues buying a Mac.

On cropdusting: Used to work with a guy that would eat pickled eggs, boiled cabbage, pintos and drink a 6'er of Bud heavy from time to time.  We all sat in what we called the "Bat Cave".  8 of us in one giant office.  There was no escape when he decided we needed torture.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 10:25:26 AM »
That is what I hate about the Apple bashers, don't hate on the HW or the OS, hate on the cost and the fact they are proprietary and require you to purchase Apple Care in order to have your machine covered.  If I could walk into a shop here in town and buy parts for Mac's that I could install myself without having to buy directly from Apple (which you can't unless you are a reseller or repair center) then I would have no issues buying a Mac.

On cropdusting: Used to work with a guy that would eat pickled eggs, boiled cabbage, pintos and drink a 6'er of Bud heavy from time to time.  We all sat in what we called the "Bat Cave".  8 of us in one giant office.  There was no escape when he decided we needed torture.

I agree on the proprietary stuff. But I also think it's a double edged sword. A lot of that is why it is such a polished product. They don't just let anything get into their HW or OS, or let just anyone touch it. The "walled garden" is a fitting expression.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

barkndog

• number one super guy
Re: Apple's new CEO is fudgeing up
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 12:25:49 PM »
I'll never buy a mac. PC and  linux for me. I've been using linux exclusively for about 8 years now. Stated learning Redhat 9 in 2002. Apache is cool too. About to load open BSD 5 on my desktop and take it for a spin. fudge Apple and Microsoft up the ass with a fist.

Um, Red Hat's version 9 didn't come out till March 31 of 2003. And as others have pointed out, Mac OS has BSD under the covers.

It really frustrates me when some make this Linux/MS/Apple issue a religious war.  I agree with the arguments about proprietary verses open, but I also know each system has its strengths and weaknesses.  As a guy that buys/approves all technical hardware and software for a company, we have mostly Windows PCs, but have a few iMacs and Linux servers.  We also have iPads and iPhones.  Same deal at home:  a couple of PCs, an iMac, a MacBook Pro, iPads, Android tablets, and a Linux machine (yeah, I'm a geek).  Not going to get into a Mac/PC/Linux war, or iOS/Android war - they all have their strengths and it basically boils down to what works for you.

But the top Apple guy is an Auburn grad - that should count for something.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Silence is golden. Duck tape is silver.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 01:06:28 PM »

Not really.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 01:47:39 PM »
I agree on the proprietary stuff. But I also think it's a double edged sword. A lot of that is why it is such a polished product. They don't just let anything get into their HW or OS, or let just anyone touch it. The "walled garden" is a fitting expression.

I agree, it does keep others from making mods and you do have a more polished product.  I just wished they would have taken user input instead of blowing it off.  They did allow us to peek under the covers once so our "Evil Geniuses" could engineer a new way for the OS to handle memory management.

Um, Red Hat's version 9 didn't come out till March 31 of 2003. And as others have pointed out, Mac OS has BSD under the covers.

It really frustrates me when some make this Linux/MS/Apple issue a religious war.  I agree with the arguments about proprietary verses open, but I also know each system has its strengths and weaknesses.  As a guy that buys/approves all technical hardware and software for a company, we have mostly Windows PCs, but have a few iMacs and Linux servers.  We also have iPads and iPhones.  Same deal at home:  a couple of PCs, an iMac, a MacBook Pro, iPads, Android tablets, and a Linux machine (yeah, I'm a geek).  Not going to get into a Mac/PC/Linux war, or iOS/Android war - they all have their strengths and it basically boils down to what works for you.

Exactly.   I have horror stories and moments of glory with about every OS I have dealt with.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 02:34:16 PM »

THIS guy gets it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 03:06:01 PM »
Was thinking the morning after a trip to Krystal. But we'll accept Waffle House and beer as correct answers.

I guess all three would be 'Shock and Awe"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'