Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

SNL Cast Overhaul?

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: SNL Cast Overhaul?
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2013/09/16/introducing-saturday-night-lives-new-cast-members/2813835/
After a major talent shake-up, these six featured players join the show this fall.

Saturday Night Live is pumping in some new blood for its upcoming season, after what's undeniably its biggest talent drain in recent years. Kristen Wiig and Andy Samberg departed the sketch-comedy series in 2012, while Fred Armisen, Bill Hader and Jason Sudeikis all left in May. Starting with the Sept. 28 season opener, Seth Meyers will be joined by Cecily Strong on the "Weekend Update" news desk, producer Lorne Michaels told The New York Times. (He is set to leave the show to replace SNL alum Jimmy Fallon as the new host of Late Night in February).

So who are the six featured players hoping to make their mark on the long-running late-night series? Meet them all right here before SNL's 39th season opens.

BECK BENNETT

Where you've seen him: You probably know him best as the guy who chats with cute kids in AT&T's popular "It's Not Complicated" commercials, a role that's very similar to his own web series, Fresh Perspectives, in which he interviews children about current events. The Illinois native studied acting at the University of Southern California, and formed the Good Neighbor sketch group with fellow newcomer Kyle Mooney, Nick Rutherford and filmmaker David McCary.

How he'll fit in: While he'll probably start out playing straight man to some of the more outlandish characters, Bennett also seems like the perfect candidate to join Cecily Strong on the "Weekend Update" news desk.

BROOKS WHEELAN

Where you've seen him: Not a whole lot is known about this L.A.-based writer, other than the fact that he was named to Comedy Central's top 10 artists to watch list last year, and previously served as a contributing writer on College Humor.

How he'll fit in: He is said to be joining the SNL writing staff alongside Mikey Day and Claire Mulaney, so it's difficult to know whether his role will be larger on or off screen. Regardless, the guy certainly has charisma, so he should do just fine in either role.

JOHN MILHISER

Where you've seen him: A member of the New York-based Serious Lunch sketch group, the Brooklyn-born comedian got noticed with his Step Up movie parody, Clap It Up, and an office-friendly take on the twerking craze. Featured on both the Tonight Show and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, Milhiser — with fellow Serious Lunch comedian Tim Bierbaum — also runs the "Baguette-Me-Nots" blog which places baguettes into everyday photographs.

How he'll fit in: Although he tends to play the quieter, mousier types in sketches, Milhiser has shown tons of promise with his parodies and impersonations. Expect him to fill the roles left vacant by Hader and Samberg.

KYLE MOONEY

Where you've seen him: He's guested on TV series such as Wilfred and Parks and Recreation, and was a writer for the first season of Comedy Central's Nathan For You. A University of Southern California graduate and Good Neighbor member like fellow SNL newbie Beck Bennett, Mooney has also conducted a number of painfully hilarious interviews for Jimmy Kimmel Live segments.

How he'll fit in: The guy is an expert when it comes to weird voices and outlandish accents, so SNL would be wise to let him showcase his abilities. Mooney definitely has the potential to create some unusual characters, much like Armisen and Will Forte before him.

MICHAEL PATRICK O'BRIEN

Where you've seen him: O'Brien has been writing for SNL since 2009, but is finally getting his chance to step in front of the camera as a featured player. Although he's made an appearance on Portlandia, he's primarily known for his awkward interviews with celebrities on his "7 Minutes in Heaven" Web series. During these short episodes, O'Brien chats with (and eventually kisses) celebrities while inside a closet, with everyone from Connie Britton, Amy Poehler and Elijah Wood dropping in for segments.

How he'll fit in: He's a bit tough to call, as his résumé essentially consists of writing for SNL and appearing on his Web series. It'll be interesting to see how he brings his gawky, goofy charm to the sketch-comedy format.

NOËL WELLS

Where you've seen her: Wells has not only appeared in many College Humor videos, but also has a flourishing YouTube channel of her own. Her most popular Web series sees her impersonating Zooey Deschanel, and you won't want to miss her lip-syncing to Britney Spears' Toxic in the shower (it's not what you'd expect). She's been a performer at Los Angeles' Upright Citizens Brigade, and has appeared in indie films such as Forev and The Do-Deca-Pentathlon.

How she'll fit in: SNL currently has some great female comedians in Kate McKinnon, Vanessa Bayer and Aidy Bryant, but Wells should have no problem making an impression with her wry, often raunchy brand of humor. While she makes a fine Zooey, we'd love to see more of her Dana Brody impersonations with Homeland returning this fall (or maybe some Carrie Mathison to switch things up?).

In other news, Cecily Strong will be joining Seth at the Update Desk until he leaves for Late Night, when it is presumed that Cecily will take over solo.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2013, 10:33:09 AM »
Bennett & Mooney are part of a viral comedy group. It appears that Lorne is trying to recreate the Lonely Island magic they had going.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2013, 10:41:55 AM »
 :cage:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2013, 11:05:17 AM »
Beck Bennett will be a leading man one day, a'la Sudekis, or Chevy Chase before him. Book it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2013, 12:50:46 PM »
Meh.  It's pretty clear I'm too old to care.  It's like they have to pass a smarm test now.  I heard that Rob from MTV was upset he didn't get a shot.  At least that's good. These are just meh to me, but an assclown like Rob would have really ruined it.

I will say that Strong is very strong.

Could look at that for hours.  Like pretty much everything about it.

AND.. upon further review.

Didn't get anything out of the Milhiser skit, that was all Marcia Gay-Hardon.  And it was moderately lame.

The phone guy will always be the phone guy. It's like they hired "You hear me now?"  Be hard to overcome that.

Wheelan looks like Sudekis with a bad goatee.  His sketch was average.

Mooney and OBrien are the most annoying things I've ever seen.  Mooney in particular. If that was his best?  He SUCKS.  Sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks sucks. Sucks. Awful.  I wanted to murder him 45 seconds into that crap.

Wells wasn't bad. Good job capturing the overdrama that is sometimes a Homeland staple.  She has potential. 

So, meh, double meh. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 01:04:31 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2013, 02:18:13 PM »
Mooney and OBrien are the most annoying things I've ever seen.  Mooney in particular. If that was his best?  He SUCKS.  Sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks sucks. Sucks. Awful.  I wanted to murder him 45 seconds into that crap.
Clearly Mooney was playing an intentionally grating character, so mission accomplished.

I looked at some of the stuff from that Good Neighbor troop, and he has range.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2013, 02:29:43 PM »
Clearly Mooney was playing an intentionally grating character, so mission accomplished.

I looked at some of the stuff from that Good Neighbor troop, and he has range.

Wrong. Annoying characters can also be funny.  That one wasn't.  It was just annoying for no reason.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2013, 01:23:08 AM »
Other than the overused Aaron Paul cameos, a fair Obama opening and the joke about Low Winter Sun (that probably sailed over the heads of 93% of the audience) the new cast debut was a total dud. 

Not even the charm of Tina Fey could save that stink bomb from reeking. 

Maybe the genre is finally played out.  That was a total turd of a show. The "new" cast was horrible. 

Even Strong was awful on Weekend Updud. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2013, 10:52:26 AM »
Other than the overused Aaron Paul cameos, a fair Obama opening and the joke about Low Winter Sun (that probably sailed over the heads of 93% of the audience) the new cast debut was a total dud. 

Not even the charm of Tina Fey could save that stink bomb from reeking. 

Maybe the genre is finally played out.  That was a total turd of a show. The "new" cast was horrible. 

Even Strong was awful on Weekend Updud.
Didn't see it, but I will say you usually can't make a judgement based on one episode.  It took some of the worst starting SNL's a year to jell.  Nature of the beast I guess.

Besides SNL as a whole hasn't been funny in a long time.  A few skits here or there or a particular host (Timberlake,Baldwin) but by in large it has been meh for me since the crew with Farley.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2013, 11:40:49 AM »
Didn't see it, but I will say you usually can't make a judgement based on one episode.  It took some of the worst starting SNL's a year to jell.  Nature of the beast I guess.

Besides SNL as a whole hasn't been funny in a long time.  A few skits here or there or a particular host (Timberlake,Baldwin) but by in large it has been meh for me since the crew with Farley.

Walken was hilarious. The man is gold. Cowbell and census taker are guffaw worthy for eternity.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2013, 11:52:21 AM »
I don't watch it very much but if they part ways with Belushi or Steve Martin, I refuse to watch anymore.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2013, 12:10:38 PM »
I don't watch it very much but if they part ways with Belushi or Steve Martin, I refuse to watch anymore.

No worries.  Akroyd will take up the slack if that were to ever happen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2013, 12:38:05 PM »

Past my bed time.   :getoff:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2013, 01:16:02 PM »
To add to your intentional joke, Steve Martin was never at any point an SNL cast member.

I'm rooting for them. I'm a fan of the franchise in general. To fully appreciate the show, you have to realize that they're putting together that full scale of a production in one week, warts and all. The very nature of that will result in about 10% of the skits being duds and about 10% knocking it out of the park with about 80% sort of in that middle territory. That's the nature of the show, and without nostalgia clouding your revisionist history, that's the way it's always been.

I don't think we saw the full potential of this group after one episode, like Godfather said. The season always starts out a little shaky. Particularly, featured players rarely get to do anything besides be guy #2 in the restaurant scenes.

Damon Wayans famously got fired for getting tired of that and played a boring cop part as flamboyantly gay to make it more interesting.

That being said, I saw promise. I would consider the Girls parody part of that 10% out of the park. Of course, if you don't watch the show it will fall flat, but if you do, you'll note that this is pretty spot on.

All that to say, one of the new featured players carried that sketch as Lena Dunham in a rare feat for a featured player in their first show ever.

For an analogy, I look at this season's SNL the same way I look at this season's Auburn football. It's a rebuilding year, so expectations must be tempered. But I see lots of promise.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:45:24 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2013, 01:17:46 PM »
This one elicited a chuckle.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2013, 01:21:19 PM »
Also, I should note that I think the two Good Neighbor guys had relatively strong introductions. I predict good things from them to everyone but Kaos.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2013, 01:44:18 PM »
I was underwhelmed. 

Don't watch (or care about) Girls, so that didn't do anything for me.  Sort of like the Low Winter Sun joke made no sense to anybody but idiots like me who've tried to wade through that muddled mess of a crap show that will soon be canceled.

The rest of the people just seemed like watered down Andy Samberg wanna bes or Sudekis imitators.  Too many nebbish/nerdy characters to suit me.  When Taran Kiljoy and Chubby McGoodburger are your main stars you've fallen way, way off the beam. 

"The Black One" was one of the weakest parts of the cast and Bobby LeFarter is a pale imitator of Horatio Sanz (who wasn't very good either). 

I know there are busts in every season and that the show has always had weak spots and gaps.  Maybe it's just my lawn, but this cast seems like nothing but bust, spot and gap.  There's no power there at all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2013, 01:52:21 PM »
I'm old.  I was a senior in HS when SNL got cranked up.  Like many, I followed it religiously from its inception and probably kept up with it that way for about 15 years.  But with every passing year and more and more turnover in the cast, it became harder to keep the same interest.  Harder to try and latch on to or relate to the new characters and skits.  Plus, other options available for entertainment. 

That said, I've always been a fan of the live concept.  Growing up, The Carol Burnette Show was a similar type set up.  I doubt what we watched was actually live, but from everything I've seen and read, what we got was how it actually came off during the live taping in front of an audience.  Forget cussing, classless, irreverent humor (Which I do so enjoy), there is still nothing funnier than Tim Conway making Harvey Korman crack up during a sketch.  That was the beauty of "live".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2013, 01:54:18 PM »
I was underwhelmed. 

Don't watch (or care about) Girls, so that didn't do anything for me.  Sort of like the Low Winter Sun joke made no sense to anybody but idiots like me who've tried to wade through that muddled mess of a crap show that will soon be canceled.

The rest of the people just seemed like watered down Andy Samberg wanna bes or Sudekis imitators.  Too many nebbish/nerdy characters to suit me.  When Taran Kiljoy and Chubby McGoodburger are your main stars you've fallen way, way off the beam. 

"The Black One" was one of the weakest parts of the cast and Bobby LeFarter is a pale imitator of Horatio Sanz (who wasn't very good either). 

I know there are busts in every season and that the show has always had weak spots and gaps.  Maybe it's just my lawn, but this cast seems like nothing but bust, spot and gap.  There's no power there at all.
I agree with you a lot on this stuff. But....

Sometimes I think you expect too much out of things that are purely meant for entertainment.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
I agree with you a lot on this stuff. But....

Sometimes I think you expect too much out of things that are purely meant for entertainment.

Yep.  I have standards.  I expect to be entertained.  Much falls short of that basic standard. 

Was I entertained by SNL?  No. I was not. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions