Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

SNL Cast Overhaul?

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: SNL Cast Overhaul?
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 01:17:29 PM »
I've noticed that two of the "strangers" I was talking about are actually on the first season quite a bit. George Coe & Michael O'Donoghue.

Why were they never considered cast members, or even "featured players"? I've never seen a cast photo or any mention of the "Not Ready For Prime Time Players" that included them, and yet they were just as much a part of the show in the first season as Gilda or Jane.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 09:33:08 PM »
Seasons are over 25 hours each.

So this project will take a while.

Just finished watching Chevy's last episode now. Barely into the second season.

For those with fond nostalgia for the first incarnation, I implore you to watch it again to realize it's just not funny. Does not hold up to the test of time. I suspect that the power of nostalgia combined with heavy use of drugs played no small part in the looking back on this being leaps and bounds funnier than other seasons.

I respect it for the pioneer aspect of it. I'm able to muster about an average of one light chuckle per three episodes or so. Very dad-humor.

Maybe I'm just too young.

Fun side note: in 37 years, SNL was shot outside of 30 Rock exactly one time: For the Mardi Gras Special in New Orleans during Season 2 in February 1977.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 09:49:29 PM »

So this project will take a while get the RIAA's attention again.

Better look for a new residence...again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 10:12:15 PM »

So this project will take a while.

Just finished watching Chevy's last episode now. Barely into the second season.

For those with fond nostalgia for the first incarnation, I implore you to watch it again to realize it's just not funny. Does not hold up to the test of time. I suspect that the power of nostalgia combined with heavy use of drugs played no small part in the looking back on this being leaps and bounds funnier than other seasons.

I respect it for the pioneer aspect of it. I'm able to muster about an average of one light chuckle per three episodes or so. Very dad-humor.

Maybe I'm just too young.

Fun side note: in 37 years, SNL was shot outside of 30 Rock exactly one time: For the Mardi Gras Special in New Orleans during Season 2 in February 1977.

Compare it to what was on at the time. 

Here's your Top Twenty Shows of the 76-77 season:

1. Happy Days
2. Laverne and Shirley
3. ABC Monday Night Movie
4. M*A*S*H
5. Charlie's Angels
6. The Big Event
7. The Six Million Dollar Man
8. ABC Sunday Night Movie
9. Baretta
10. One Day at a Time
11. Three's Company
12. All in the Family
13. Welcome Back, Kotter
14. The Bionic Woman
15. The Waltons
16. Little House on the Prairie
17. Barney Miller
18. 60 Minutes
19. Hawaii Five-O
20. NBC Monday Night Movie

And don't forget the Brady Bunch Family Hour or Donny and Maire (although I wanted to stick Marie like a pincushion).  That's what passed for "variety" shows.

That's some bubble gum shit.  Your only late night option weeknights was Carson.  He was bland, too.  Funny but bland. 

Then SNL showed up.  It was subversive, it was political, it was sloppy, uneven, frantic, unpredictable.   You never knew what was coming up and sometimes it looked like they didn't know what they were about to do next either.   It was improvised. 

I wasn't on drugs.  I had to hide from my parents just to watch it.  But it was so different.  It was -- at the time -- some of the funniest shit I'd ever seen. 

When you're contrasting it to things today it looks tame and silly, but that's only because shows like SNL opened the door and made it okay for other shows to push the edges even further. 

Hard to believe but the show was controversial in its time and drew a lot of criticism from people.  Not because it was bad because it was "in poor taste." 

No doubt a lot of the skits don't hold up, particularly the topical ones.  Jokes about Ford falling out of a plane were funny then but don't have any resonance now. 

Belushi, Murray, Curtain, Danny, Garrett, Laraine and Gilda are still ten times funnier than almost anybody who's come after. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 10:31:55 AM »

1. Happy Days
2. Laverne and Shirley
4. M*A*S*H
5. Charlie's Angels
6. The Big Event
9. Baretta
10. One Day at a Time
11. Three's Company
12. All in the Family
13. Welcome Back, Kotter
14. The Bionic Woman
15. The Waltons
17. Barney Miller
18. 60 Minutes
19. Hawaii Five-O

And don't forget the Brady Bunch Family Hour or Donny and Maire (although I wanted to stick Marie like a pincushion).  That's what passed for "variety" shows.

That's some bubble gum shit.  Your only late night option weeknights was Carson.  He was bland, too.  Funny but bland. 

Then SNL showed up.  It was subversive, it was political, it was sloppy, uneven, frantic, unpredictable.   You never knew what was coming up and sometimes it looked like they didn't know what they were about to do next either.   It was improvised. 

I wasn't on drugs.  I had to hide from my parents just to watch it.  But it was so different.  It was -- at the time -- some of the funniest shit I'd ever seen. 

When you're contrasting it to things today it looks tame and silly, but that's only because shows like SNL opened the door and made it okay for other shows to push the edges even further. 

Hard to believe but the show was controversial in its time and drew a lot of criticism from people.  Not because it was bad because it was "in poor taste." 

No doubt a lot of the skits don't hold up, particularly the topical ones.  Jokes about Ford falling out of a plane were funny then but don't have any resonance now. 

Belushi, Murray, Curtain, Danny, Garrett, Laraine and Gilda are still ten times funnier than almost anybody who's come after.

Agree on the legends at the end. Although I admit "funny" is a taste and can be subjective. One thing is for sure - they were more creative and original. They did it first.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 10:42:56 AM »

1. Happy Days
2. Laverne and Shirley
4. M*A*S*H
5. Charlie's Angels
6. The Big Event
9. Baretta
10. One Day at a Time
11. Three's Company
12. All in the Family
13. Welcome Back, Kotter
14. The Bionic Woman
15. The Waltons
17. Barney Miller
18. 60 Minutes
19. Hawaii Five-O

This hits the nail on the head.  At that time, they were pushing the boundaries as far as they could be pushed.  You can't take skits from that time and compare them to bits about my dick in a box or I just jizzed myself.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 10:56:19 AM »
This hits the nail on the head.  At that time, they were pushing the boundaries as far as they could be pushed.  You can't take skits from that time and compare them to bits about my dick in a box or I just jizzed myself.

And don't forget about teh Shhwwedddy Balls!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 11:05:02 AM »
And don't forget about teh Shhwwedddy Balls!

One of my top 5 all time SNL skits. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 11:10:47 AM »

Let's talk cast, really. 

Bill Murray vs. Horatio Sanz, Rob Schneider, Bill Hader, the ridiculous fuck who did McGroober, Fred Armisen, Norm McDonald, Chris Kataan, Colin Quin, Chris Parnell etc.   Murray wins.

Chevy Chase vs. Will Ferrell.   I'd prefer Chase.  Some might disagree, but if you compare their two best movies Christmas Vacation and Elf, CV wins out. 

Dan Ackryod vs. Dana Carvey, David Spade, The dead guy in News Radio and the guy who did the Clinton impression.   Dan wins.

Gilda/Laraine vs. Amy Poehler /Tina Fey or Molly Shannon/Anna Gastroentistinitis.  Amy and Tina win and it's not close. 

Garrett Morris vs. Tim Meadows/Tracy Morgan.  No clear winner here.  Each have some quality bits.  Tie between Morris and Morgan with Meadows a distant third.

Belushi vs. Mike Meyers/Chris Farley.  Animal House vs. Austin Powers vs. Tommy Boy.  Clear win for Belushi, even dead. 

Eddie Murphy had a short brilliant life after SNL but is a shitty brown joke now. 

There have been some recent cast members who have a little potential for longevity, but Suckdickass, Wiig, Samberg and Rudolph won't ever reach the legendary status of Chase, Murray and Danny.  They're bit players and can't carry movies on their own despite the unexplainable success of that festering turd of  a film Bridesmaids.

There were some who were little used on SNL but broke out later: Chris Rock, for instance.  Robert Downey Jr. for another.

Some who made their post SNL bones in another medium.  Jimmy Fallon.

Some who were stars before they got there. Billy Crystal *who was never funny on SNL IMO.

And that leaves Adam Sandler.  A string of increasingly shitty movies that display zero comedic talent or timimg, but sheeple still go see them and some even proclaim them to be funny.  He hasn't made a funny movie since Waterboy and the only other remotely funny movie he had at all was the one where Bob Barker whipped his ass.  His movies are so bad he purposely makes shitty movies just so he can laugh at the people who pay to see them.  This is documented. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 11:25:46 AM »
Let's talk cast, really. 

Bill Murray vs. Horatio Sanz, Rob Schneider, Bill Hader, the ridiculous fuck who did McGroober, Fred Armisen, Norm McDonald, Chris Kataan, Colin Quin, Chris Parnell etc.   Murray wins.

Chevy Chase vs. Will Ferrell.   I'd prefer Chase.  Some might disagree, but if you compare their two best movies Christmas Vacation and Elf, CV wins out. 

Dan Ackryod vs. Dana Carvey, David Spade, The dead guy in News Radio and the guy who did the Clinton impression.   Dan wins.

Gilda/Laraine vs. Amy Poehler /Tina Fey or Molly Shannon/Anna Gastroentistinitis.  Amy and Tina win and it's not close. 

Garrett Morris vs. Tim Meadows/Tracy Morgan.  No clear winner here.  Each have some quality bits.  Tie between Morris and Morgan with Meadows a distant third.

Belushi vs. Mike Meyers/Chris Farley.  Animal House vs. Austin Powers vs. Tommy Boy.  Clear win for Belushi, even dead. 

Eddie Murphy had a short brilliant life after SNL but is a shitty brown joke now. 

There have been some recent cast members who have a little potential for longevity, but Suckdickass, Wiig, Samberg and Rudolph won't ever reach the legendary status of Chase, Murray and Danny.  They're bit players and can't carry movies on their own despite the unexplainable success of that festering turd of  a film Bridesmaids.

There were some who were little used on SNL but broke out later: Chris Rock, for instance.  Robert Downey Jr. for another.

Some who made their post SNL bones in another medium.  Jimmy Fallon.

Some who were stars before they got there. Billy Crystal *who was never funny on SNL IMO.

And that leaves Adam Sandler.  A string of increasingly shitty movies that display zero comedic talent or timimg, but sheeple still go see them and some even proclaim them to be funny.  He hasn't made a funny movie since Waterboy and the only other remotely funny movie he had at all was the one where Bob Barker whipped his ass.  His movies are so bad he purposely makes shitty movies just so he can laugh at the people who pay to see them.  This is documented.

Correct you are. Check out the bolded. Awful.

Adam Sandler Pledges To Only Make Bad Movies Going Forward

June 18, 2012

Executives at Sony Pictures may not have been smiling after “That’s My Boy” came in fifth in its first weekend in theaters and brought in a measly $13 Million, and they sure weren’t after hearing Adam Sandler’s new business plan – to make only bad movies going forward.

Sandler told us that like James Cameron’s recent announcement that he will only make “Avatar” movies going forward, he’s moving ahead with what people expect from him – only bad movies. He explained, “I made a couple great films in my career. But people don’t go to Adam Sandler movies to see intelligent and sophisticated films like ‘Jack & Jill’ or ‘Little Nicky’. They want poop jokes. And fart jokes. And more poop jokes. And from here on out, that’s what they’re going to get.”

Sandler is already planning his next stinker, “Been There, Dung That,” about a father of two who switches bodies with a dog turd. “It’s going to be especially terrible,” Sandler told us, “since this happens just after his wife dies. He needs to train the turd how to be the great dad he never was so it can take care of his sons while he lies rotting on the front lawn of their home.”

And just in case that’s not a big enough bomb, Sandler is planning to voice the title character in a stop-motion animation Christmastime retelling of “Citizen Kane.” In this family-friendly comedy, Kane will be a walking and talking “Candy Kane” who mutters the word “rosebud” before he is eaten by a child. The other characters will be portrayed as California Raisons. Sandler said, “I told myself that if I wanted my future films to be even more hated than my previous ones, I’m going to have to start destroying the classics. I’m planning to butcher a remake of ‘Casablanca’ next.”

Sony Pictures CEO, Michael Lynton, is excited about working with Sandler on his downward spiral into Hollywood hellfire. “It’s always an eye opener working with Sandler. Sure, I wish he wanted to make better movies that would actually make us money rather than suck us dry but Hollywood has been making bad business decisions and bad films to retain relationships with its stars for years. Why would we stop now?”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 12:05:51 PM »
Tongue placed firmly in cheek
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 12:50:10 PM »
One of my top 5 all time SNL skits.

Colonel Angus up there?  That and the cork soakers are my two favorite of the past 5 or 10 years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 05:06:06 PM »

Elf...as Ferrell's best movie?  Further proof that your taste is suspect on its very best day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 09:48:12 PM »
Elf...as Ferrell's best movie?  Further proof that your taste is suspect on its very best day.

All of his movies suck.  They suck long and hard like RWS on a goat pecker.  About the only one I can tolerate is Elf. 

You are probably going to trot out Anchorman (insufferable), Old School (turdariffic) or that living on the lawn shit loaf of shit.  i hated all those movies passionately.  Talladega Nights had a funny line or two. 

The rest of his films are shit stew.  Blades of Glory?  I'd rather be chained to Harvey Updyke than watch that shit burger again.  That pimply raft of hairy dog squat very nearly derailed the career of Amy Poehler and Jenna Fischer.

Step Brothers?  Saw off my foot with a butter knife instead of sit through any of that again.  Semi-Pro, the Other Guys, Stranger than Fiction, Kicking and Screaming, Bewitched?  When you get to hell, those movies run back to back with The Very Best of Adam Sandler on a continuous loop. 

The guy is funny in five minute increments.  He plays the same fucking character in almost every single movie.  And that character just isn't that funny.   He was good on SNL because each of the bits lasted just a few minutes.  As a sustained character in a movie?  He blows gorilla nuts.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 09:40:40 PM »
I've gotten through a few of the episodes since Bill Murray joined the cast.

I will say that the show has finally gotten a rhythm. It finally resembles its current form.

For all the credit Chevy got as the "star" of the show, it really got a lot better after he left.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2012, 10:26:59 AM »
For all the credit Chevy got as the "star" of the show, it really got a lot better after he left.

Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, kiss my ass. Kiss his ass. Kiss your ass. Happy Hanukkah.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2012, 12:06:46 PM »
Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, kiss my ass. Kiss his ass. Kiss your ass. Happy Hanukkah.
Merry Christmas, Holy shit, Where's the Tylenol?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2013, 11:24:21 AM »
Head writer & Weekend Update host Seth Meyers is officially taking over Late Night. He's replacing Fallon, who's replacing Leno, in case you didn't already know that.

Bill Heder has officially announced he's leaving. That's a huge blow to the cast.

Jason Sudekis & Fred Armeson are currently "weighing their options". I thought they'd both leave last year. I bet this solidifies it.

Looks like the cast overhaul I predicted a year ago just took two years to fully implement.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2013, 12:01:29 PM »
Come on Kaos. There will never be another Babwa Wawa! And the Coneheads will forever be imprinted in our minds. Had Gilda lived, I think she would have been in a lot of movies. And Laraine has been very successful over the years. So I think the jury is still out on that. The fact that Amy and Tina are a lot easier on the eyes should not take away from the fact that Gilda and Laraine did a lot more with a lot less.

Chevy Vs. Will? Probably a toss up to me. Maybe because I cannot stand Chevy now. I loved the original Fletch, Caddyshack, and the Vacations. Then he got weird.

Agree on most of the rest.

I enjoyed the early season of MadTV. Different approach and was a little more creative for a while.

But you are correct. When SNL first came out, we had to hide to watch it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 10:55:50 AM »
Come on Kaos. There will never be another Babwa Wawa! And the Coneheads will forever be imprinted in our minds. Had Gilda lived, I think she would have been in a lot of movies. And Laraine has been very successful over the years. So I think the jury is still out on that. The fact that Amy and Tina are a lot easier on the eyes should not take away from the fact that Gilda and Laraine did a lot more with a lot less.

Chevy Vs. Will? Probably a toss up to me. Maybe because I cannot stand Chevy now. I loved the original Fletch, Caddyshack, and the Vacations. Then he got weird.

Agree on most of the rest.

I enjoyed the early season of MadTV. Different approach and was a little more creative for a while.

But you are correct. When SNL first came out, we had to hide to watch it.

All time best SNL cast would include:

Bill Murray
Gilda Radner
Tina Fey
Amy Poehler
Dan Ackroyd
John (not Jim) Belushi
Phil Hartman
Darrell Hammond
Jane Curtin
Eddie Murphy
Molly Shannon
Chris Farley
Chevy Chase (nostalgia purposes)

Featuring:
Will Ferrel (for two characters)
Kristin Wiig (two characters)
Garrett Morris
Tim Meadows
Tracy Morgan (Astronaut Jones and Brian Fellows only)
Ana Gasteyer
David Spade
Dana Carvey
Laraine Newman
Maya Rudolph
Cheri Oteri

Not on the list:
The guy who played McGruber, Al Franken, Joe Pissapole, Andy (not nearly as funny as he thinks he is with the exception of skits with Justin Timberlake) Samberg, Adam Sandler or Billy Crystal.

Hosts for the 13 episode "all time great" season would be:

Alec Baldwin
Steve Martin
Dwayne Johnson
Justin Timberlake
Christopher Walken
Drew Barrymore
Robert Downey Jr. or Johnny Depp
Bryan Cranston
John Goodman
Peter Dinklage
Jenny McCarthy
George Carlin
Dave Chappelle
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:08:38 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions