Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Live and Let Diet

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
Re: Live and Let Diet
« Reply #1620 on: June 17, 2016, 03:35:50 PM »
It's taken me to the day before, but when I started running earlier in the year my goal by the barbarian challenge was 195.  That was exactly 20 pounds since first of February. I woke up this morning and weighed 195.7.  Barbarian challenge is tomorrow. So I'm satisfied with my accomplishment, but new goal is 175. I imagine it will get a lot harder from here. I plan to keep strength training 3 days a week and distance running 3 days a week with rest being on Saturdays.  I'd like to do half marathon in the next 6 months and full marathon sometime next year.
For now, I'll simply be satisfied with completing race tomorrow without injury.

Was the Mrs. goal, trained hard, ran a bunch of half's and one full marathon.

Knee surgery made her wish she had not.   :haha:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Token

« Reply #1621 on: June 17, 2016, 03:39:39 PM »

Knee surgery made her wish she had not.   :haha:

This is my one true concern. And the reason I'd really like to drop another 20 pounds. Never had any kind of knee problems, but running steep hills in the last 2 months has made mine really sore. Specifically running down hills. I'll be glad when this obstacle race is over. Back to flat even running.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #1622 on: June 17, 2016, 05:07:24 PM »
This is my one true concern. And the reason I'd really like to drop another 20 pounds. Never had any kind of knee problems, but running steep hills in the last 2 months has made mine really sore. Specifically running down hills. I'll be glad when this obstacle race is over. Back to flat even running.

Usually only happens when something is not done properly in training. Some over train. Some train too much too hard or too soon. Some race too much. Some try to do it with too much weight on their frames or poor mechanics. And then sometimes genetics plays a role too. Usually a combo of two or more of the above. It's a delicate balance. And I'll be the first to tell you it's not for everyone.

I would drop into the 170s minimum before jumping on the half bandwagon. Else, yes you are likely to tear something up. At 195-200 you would essentially be a high school football player trying to be a marathoner. Just wont work.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #1623 on: June 17, 2016, 05:10:25 PM »
Usually only happens when something is not done properly in training. Some over train. Some train too much too hard or too soon. Some race too much. Some try to do it with too much weight on their frames or poor mechanics. And then sometimes genetics plays a role too. Usually a combo of two or more of the above. It's a delicate balance. And I'll be the first to tell you it's not for everyone.

I would drop into the 170s minimum before jumping on the half bandwagon. Else, yes you are likely to tear something up. At 195-200 you would essentially be a high school football player trying to be a marathoner. Just wont work.

Listen to him.  He's pre-med.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #1624 on: June 17, 2016, 05:19:15 PM »
Listen to him.  He's pre-med.

Also immediately ditch all the following:

Heavy weights
iPhone armband with phone while you run = ghey
Calf sleeves
Fancy clothes that look cool ie the yellow under armor run shirts with a lightning bolt that cost 50 bucks
Gay fitness apps like my fitness pal etc. all you need is garmin connect

All of the above are useless

Add the following:

iPod nano or similar small player
Lots of bottles of fluid
Gel packs
Shoes that really fit you
Gps watch

When stepping up from 5k to halfs nutrition and calories start playing a big role.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Token

« Reply #1625 on: June 17, 2016, 05:40:04 PM »

Heavy weights
Calf sleeves
Fancy clothes that look cool ie the yellow under armor run shirts with a lightning bolt that cost 50 bucks

Add the following:

Lots of bottles of fluid
Gel packs
Gps watch

When stepping up from 5k to halfs nutrition and calories start playing a big role.

Good thing the googles feel the same way as you. Although instead of garmon, I have Fitbit surge. (Got brand new as gift).  I have brooks ghost 8 right now, but I'm going to be fitted for a good shoe very soon to make sure I'm wearing best foot wear. I have already decided though that 175 is important, so I'm going to keep on current path and not go up too much in distance yet. Most I'm running is 6.5 miles. There is a half marathon in the Florida keys in Jan I believe. That's going to be my goal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #1626 on: June 17, 2016, 11:20:41 PM »
Good thing the googles feel the same way as you. Although instead of garmon, I have Fitbit surge. (Got brand new as gift).  I have brooks ghost 8 right now, but I'm going to be fitted for a good shoe very soon to make sure I'm wearing best foot wear. I have already decided though that 175 is important, so I'm going to keep on current path and not go up too much in distance yet. Most I'm running is 6.5 miles. There is a half marathon in the Florida keys in Jan I believe. That's going to be my goal.

I know of that race. Known a few who went to it. And frankly it's a great legit looking excuse to go chillax in the keys.

FYI - Hal higdon has some great structured plans online for all distances and levels. I've used them for some big races. They work if you do what they say.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #1627 on: June 18, 2016, 12:45:30 AM »

Heavy weights
Calf sleeves

Add the following:

Lots of bottles of fluid
Gel packs
Gps watch

Hey man, fuck you!  Way to shit on my equipment and dreams of becoming a marathoner!

lol.  Like my fat ass is going to run
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

« Reply #1628 on: June 18, 2016, 10:17:34 PM »
Hey man, fuck you!  Way to shit on my equipment and dreams of becoming a marathoner!

lol.  Like my fat ass is going to run

I'm just the messenger.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Token

« Reply #1629 on: June 19, 2016, 07:10:18 AM »
I'm still alive but very sore. They put an obstacle in called the weaver. It was tough. It could have been easier with round pole instead of rectangle, but they chose pain.

If any of you care about obstacle courses at all, I'd invite you to the Noccalula Falls campground next year to get a helping of the barbarian challenge. Right at 1200 people took part of the event this year.  If you're really into running obstacle courses, I'd suggest googling the Alabama OCR series and taking part of all of the events next spring. The 4 events are in Gadsden, Gardendale, Sprinville and Cullman. All close to the Birmingham area. They are all great events.

And the training it takes to get ready for the events will absolutely carve 20 pounds off your ass if you really train for them and take it serious.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 07:11:54 AM by Token »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #1630 on: June 19, 2016, 10:08:51 AM »
I'm just the messenger.

What the hell am I supposed to do with my designer calf sleves, 80GB iPod, and my cool neon green under armor shorts!?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #1631 on: June 19, 2016, 10:12:32 AM »
What the hell am I supposed to do with my designer calf sleves, 80GB iPod, and my cool neon green under armor shorts!?

Looks good on you, though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #1632 on: June 19, 2016, 10:25:07 AM »
All this talk about running, jumping through and climbing over obstacles and dieting....I went the opposite last night. Sometimes, I think I'm a really good cook.  Then I get a meal that makes me think I've been making peanut butter and jelly sammiches compared to this.  Fancy schmancy restaurant in Montgomery called Vintage Year.  Started with Flash Fried Oysters for an appetizer.  I admit I couldn't spell or pronounce the first word on the entre but it was "Something" Encrusted Blackened Fish, which turned out to be my first taste of Corvina.  The fish along with a rice/grit type cake were both swimming in shrimp etouffee with a side of garlic smashed potatoes. 

I'll do a long bike ride today or jog to counter the high fat-caloric goodness.  But holy shit, that was orgasm inspiring stuff.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #1633 on: June 19, 2016, 08:42:00 PM »

I have a shirt that will go with those shorts.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

« Reply #1634 on: June 19, 2016, 10:46:46 PM »

Use them when cutting the grass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

bgreene

« Reply #1635 on: June 21, 2016, 08:27:48 AM »
Just gonna give some props to our boy token.  In the past year this fat tub of lard has been an avid runner.  This in turn has changed him from looking like the fat native American that was forced to watch the little warriors while the big warriors went to hunt, to the savage head scalping warrior he is today.  Much love brother.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Men are made stronger on the realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."

-Sidney Phillips

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #1636 on: June 21, 2016, 04:33:14 PM »
Just gonna give some props to our boy token.  In the past year this fat tub of lard has been an avid runner.  This in turn has changed him from looking like the fat native American that was forced to watch the little warriors while the big warriors went to hunt, to the savage head scalping warrior he is today.  Much love brother.

Anybody with that descriptive term beside their name...I want to punch in the larynx.

I hate running and running hates me like Dallas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #1637 on: June 21, 2016, 05:05:55 PM »
Anybody with that descriptive term beside their name...I want to punch in the larynx.

I hate running and running hates me like Dallas.

I haven't ran since I got out (military) and if my house was on fire I'd walk quickly to the nearest exit.

Running is nobody's friend.  I hate running like hating myself.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

GH2001

« Reply #1638 on: June 21, 2016, 07:12:40 PM »
I haven't ran since I got out (military) and if my house was on fire I'd walk quickly to the nearest exit.

Running is nobody's friend.  I hate running like hating myself.

So did all those dead guys under 60
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #1639 on: June 22, 2016, 07:09:35 AM »
I run begrudgingly for 6 months of the year.  The other six I don't do shit.  Seems to work for now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."