Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

So...What's the Catch?

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
So...What's the Catch?
« on: April 20, 2012, 07:32:43 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/18707447/chizik-passing-on-spread-for-runbased-attack-looks-like-smart-move

Auburn's Chizik passing on spread looks like a smart move
By Tony Barnhart | Mr. CFB

Chizik knows Auburn must be physical against the big, strong defenses of LSU and 'Bama. (Getty Images)

Auburn, Ala. -- Gene Chizik has been the head coach at Auburn for three seasons and the results, by any objective measure, have been pretty good:

• 30 wins and a conference record of 16-9 while playing in the toughest division (SEC West) in the toughest conference in America.

• One SEC championship (2010), Auburn's first since 2004.

• A 14-0 record and a BCS national championship, Auburn's first since 1957. In case you're keeping score at home, four of the last five BCS titles have come from the SEC West.

• 3-0 in bowl games.

So with things going reasonably well, what did Chizik decide to change this spring?

Only everything.

"We looked at everything in the offseason and decided to make some changes," Chizik said. "And we've made a lot of progress. Our guys have concentrated on everything we've asked them to do."

What are those changes, you ask?

Let's start with the offense. Gus Malzahn, the guru of the spread offense who molded Cam Newton into the 2010 Heisman Trophy winner, left to become the head coach at Arkansas State. Chizik decided to take that opportunity go back to the future in Auburn's approach to offense. The spread is out. Blue-collar football is back.

"The fact is that if you look at it historically, you have to do two things to win in the SEC," Chizik said. "You have to be able to run the football and stop the run. We want to get back to being a very physical football team. We want to put the quarterback under center and run the ball downhill. We did it on Day 1 of spring practice and right now we're in a pretty good place."

Translation: Cam Newton ain't walking back through that door, and unless you have a Newton or a Tebow at quarterback, you're not going to beat the big, fast defenses at Alabama and LSU with the spread. You gotta man up.

Chizik hired Scot Loeffler, who worked two seasons at Florida (2009-10) but learned most of his football from Lloyd Carr at Michigan, as his offensive coordinator. The instructions were pretty simple.

"When it is third and one we want to be able to line up, get the first down and move the chains," said Loeffler, who was coordinator during Temple's 9-4 season in 2011. "Coach Chizik and I are on the same page about what it takes to move the ball against the great defenses in this league."

The pieces look to be in place to make the transition that Chizik seeks. Running back Michael Dyer left for Arkansas State but there are plenty of candidates to fill that role: Tre Mason, Onterrio McCalebb, Florida transfer Mike Blakely and Alabama transfer Corey Grant. Auburn has had a 1,000-yard back in each of Chizik's first three seasons.

This will be the sixth consecutive season Auburn has had a new starting quarterback. No decision was made in the spring but it looks like sophomore Keihl Frazier, the most athletic of the bunch, has an edge. The position is in good hands with Loeffler who, as an assistant or graduate assistant, has tutored Tom Brady, Brian Griese, Chad Henne and Tim Tebow.

Defensively, there was pressure on Chizik to make a change after the Tigers finished No. 81 nationally, giving up 408 yards per game. Defensive coordinator Ted Roof had an opportunity to leave and work for his old boss, George O'Leary at UCF. Whether he was encouraged to leave is a matter of conjecture. He was there only a month when another friend, Bill O'Brien at Penn State, hired him.

With the nation's top two defenses from a year ago (Alabama, LSU) both in his division of the SEC and with the No. 5 defense (Georgia) on his schedule every year, Chizik knew he needed to hit a home run with this hire.

Enter Brian VanGorder. VanGorder was considered a rock star coordinator at Georgia, which won an SEC championship (2002) and played for another (2003) in his four years in Athens. In each of his last three years at Georgia, the Bulldogs finished in the top 10 in scoring defense. He has spent the past four seasons as the defensive coordinator of the Atlanta Falcons. Chizik lured him away from the Falcons with a two-year contract that will pay him $850,000 annually.

"At this time of my life and career it was too good of an opportunity to pass up," VanGorder said.

Chizik was the defensive coordinator on Auburn's undefeated team of 2004. He was also the defensive coordinator on Texas' national championship team of 2005. He knows defense. He wants Auburn's defense to be aggressive and disruptive instead of reading and reacting. Those who know VanGorder will tell you that the man is aggressive even when he's standing still.

"When I had a chance to hire Brian I was excited," Chizik said. "The kids have really bought in. Our expectations are to be light years better on defense."

VanGorder understands that the bar for what constitutes a good defense is set pretty high in the SEC. Last season four of the nation's top five defenses (Alabama, LSU, South Carolina, Georgia) came from the SEC.

"We certainly know what a great defense looks like and we've got a long way to go," VanGorder said. "But we've taken some good first steps. Our guys have a lot to learn."

Auburn followed up its 14-0 national championship season of 2010 with a very predictable 8-5 in 2011. Auburn had lost the Heisman Trophy winner (Newton), the Lombardi Trophy winner (Nick Fairley), four starters on the offensive line, and 23 seniors. Auburn also played five true road games against Clemson (ACC champs), No. 9 South Carolina, No. 5 Arkansas, No. 2 LSU, and Georgia (the SEC East champs).

The gap between Alabama, LSU, Arkansas and the rest of the SEC West was pretty considerable last season. And right now it looks like Auburn will be picked to finish fourth in the SEC West behind those same three schools when SEC Media Days rolls around in July. But Auburn has enough talent and the right kind of schedule (road games at Mississippi State, Mississippi, Vanderbilt, and Alabama) to close that gap and make a run at the division in 2013.

It won't take long to find out about Auburn in 2012. The Tigers open the season against Clemson in Atlanta on Sept. 1. The next Saturday they go on the road to Mississippi State. On Sept. 22 Auburn hosts LSU, which will probably be ranked No. 1.

"We were a young team. We're still a young team," Chizik said. "But we understand that the expectation at Auburn never changes. We expect to win them all. Our goal is to get back to where we've been."

I feel like this is some sort of trap, but I can't figure out how, exactly.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Re: So...What's the Catch?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 08:00:31 PM »
"When it is third and one we want to be able to line up, get the first down and move the chains,"

We actually had a chance against UA if we could have done this one of 3 times. I think that is when Chiz said fuck it....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 08:06:22 PM »
The catch, my friend, is that for the first time in about three years you're looking at an article written with an even hand. 

No agenda, no hidden snark, no snide backhanded comments. 

You're so accustomed to reading veiled insults -- even from our own beatwriter, nay PARTICULARLY from that bag of ass -- and seeing sunshine blown up crimpson shorts from everybody else that when you see something that takes an objective look at Auburn you don't know what to make of it. 

In reality, it's a pretty bland article that looks at some issues and gives credit for an attempt to correct them without going to far out on the expectations limb. 

It's like FoxNews.  People think they lean right.  Fact of the matter is they really lean just a little less left than the rest. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

JR4AU

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 10:59:04 AM »
The catch, my friend, is that for the first time in about three years you're looking at an article written with an even hand. 

No agenda, no hidden snark, no snide backhanded comments. 

You're so accustomed to reading veiled insults -- even from our own beatwriter, nay PARTICULARLY from that bag of ass -- and seeing sunshine blown up crimpson shorts from everybody else that when you see something that takes an objective look at Auburn you don't know what to make of it. 

In reality, it's a pretty bland article that looks at some issues and gives credit for an attempt to correct them without going to far out on the expectations limb. 

It's like FoxNews.  People think they lean right.  Fact of the matter is they really lean just a little less left than the rest.

^^^This.  It's just written from a "football" point of view.  Nothing else.  I don't think Barnhart has ever much been given to the anti Auburn journalism we get so much of here.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 11:10:01 AM »
I hate those slow developing plays like the reverse that never works, and the like. I hope those get trashed along with bammers 2011 trophy. I'd rather see our guys get two yards straight at them, than run 70 yards sideways and only two. I hate those plays. The only exception I would consider is a fake reverse and pass down field.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:11:38 AM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 11:30:13 AM »
I hate those slow developing plays like the reverse that never works, and the like. I hope those get trashed along with bammers 2011 trophy. I'd rather see our guys get two yards straight at them, than run 70 yards sideways and only two. I hate those plays. The only exception I would consider is a fake reverse and pass down field.

I hate any play that never works.  I love the ones that do.  I would consider any of those that do.  We should all get together and send Loeffler a list of plays we'll consider, and the ones we won't. 

Those slow developing reverses are teh suxxors.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:32:00 AM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 11:37:46 AM »
I can't believe they called that long reverse at the nine yard line.  Straight ahead plowing into the ass of the center is the only way to go.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 12:02:50 PM »
I can't believe they called that long reverse at the nine yard line.  Straight ahead plowing into the ass of the center is the only way to go.

You just made VV's day.

Serious note though, I would agree with K on the article. We have seen so many sorry ass pieces of garbage by so called journalist or beat writers regarding Auburn that we seemed to have forgotten what decent work looks like.......except for the masked pencil avenger of the NtYF of course.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 12:02:57 PM »

Dye was such a contrarian and risk taker.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 12:08:09 PM »
You just made VV's day.

I just got a one way ticket to Bonertown.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 12:25:54 PM »
Same basic article written by a al.com Saban-sucking fuckstick.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/04/auburn_goes_all-in_on_nfl_to_k.html#incart_mce

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- Three letters formed the buzz word around Auburn football this spring: NFL.

Players learned pro techniques from new coordinators with NFL backgrounds, Scot Loeffler and Brian VanGorder. Huddling and snaps from under center occurred. And Gene Chizik listed learning NFL terminology on offense and defense as the biggest change for Auburn players.

"We have to show clips a lot of the NFL because when we install something, our kids have to know what it looks like," Chizik told listeners on his statewide radio show. "Next year, we'll show our own clips."

It's no coincidence Auburn now sells NFL concepts. The factory down the road in Tuscaloosa, run by ex-NFL coach Nick Saban, continues to churn out elite NFL prospects at a rate never seen before in SEC history.

Up to five Alabama players could be first-round picks next week: Trent Richardson, Courtney Upshaw, Dre Kirkpatrick, Mark Barron and Dont'a Hightower. Brandon Mosley may be Auburn's only draft pick, as a middle-rounder.

Chizik isn't alone in trying to keep pace with Saban's talent. Chizik just happens to live in the same state.

So Auburn had a choice: Concede the NFL to Alabama, or sell the NFL in its own way. Auburn went all-in on the NFL, which could mean a greater learning curve in the short term and better players in the long run.

VanGorder ran the Atlanta Falcons' defense for four years. Loeffler spent one year as the Detroit Lions' quarterbacks coach and has had six college quarterbacks drafted.

Auburn saw Cam Newton get drafted No. 1 and Nick Fairley No. 13 last year. Newton, whose NFL career will only help Auburn, quieted skeptics with a record-breaking rookie season. But there was a moment last year that didn't help Auburn's NFL perception.

Jon Gruden asked Newton on ESPN to call what an Auburn play sounds like. Newton froze and then replied that Auburn's method is "simplistic equals fast."

Chizik and Gus Malzahn need not apologize for running an offense designed to win games. University presidents don't fire coaches for producing too few NFL draft picks. But coaches win games by acquiring talent and developing them. Recruits, most of whom will never have a pro career, often pick schools based on NFL aspirations.

SEC DRAFT PICKS SINCE 2009
Team, total picks (1st-round picks)
LSU, 18 (2)
Georgia, 17 (3)
Alabama, 16 (7)
Florida, 16 (5)
South Carolina, 11 (0)
Tennessee, 9 (3)
Auburn, 9 (2)
Ole Miss, 9 (2)
Mississippi State, 6 (1)
Kentucky, 5 (0)
Arkansas, 5 (0)
Vanderbilt, 3 (0)
Auburn is losing on that front.

As Steve Spurrier said to ESPN.com of Saban, "He's got a nice little gig going, a bit like (John) Calipari. He tells guys, 'Hey, three years from now, you're going to be a first-round pick and go.'"

Auburn, meanwhile, has as many draft picks since 2009 as Tennessee and Ole Miss and fewer than South Carolina. Auburn dominated Alabama 19-12 on the draft-pick scoreboard from 2005 to 2008, but Alabama leads 16-9 over the past three years.

That gap grows next week, by which point Alabama could have more first-round picks in the past four years than Auburn's total picks over that period. Alabama, which had no first-round picks from 2001 to 2008, has seven in the past three years and could have up to 12 since 2009 after next week. To put that in perspective, Alabama had 12 first-round picks from 1986 to 2008.

No one may ever catch Miami's 19 first-rounders over four years from 2001-04. But Alabama is positioned to top Ohio State's 10 from 2004-07 and USC's nine from 2006-09. The SEC record for first-rounders over four years is seven, shared by LSU (2004-07), Tennessee (1991-94), Florida three times (2007-10, 1998-2001, 1997-2000) and now Alabama in just three years.

After next week, Auburn figures to have five or six draft picks since winning the 2011 national title. That's the second-fewest over two years for a national champion in the past 20 years. The average is 13 picks.

Oklahoma had four picks in the two years after its 2000 title. Like Chizik, Bob Stoops won it all in Year 2. Since then, Oklahoma has sent five players a year to the NFL.

Chizik would love such a number at Auburn, which averaged almost five NFL picks annually from 2004 to '08.

The alternative is falling further behind Saban in the hearts and minds of recruits' NFL aspirations.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 09:44:16 PM »
^^^This.  It's just written from a "football" point of view.  Nothing else.  I don't think Barnhart has ever much been given to the anti Auburn journalism we get so much of here.

He's one of the few I listen to and read. Pretty down the middle.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 11:22:27 PM »

It's no coincidence Auburn now sells NFL concepts. The factory down the road in Tuscaloosa, run by ex-NFL coach Nick Saban, continues to churn out elite NFL prospects at a rate never seen before in SEC history.

What.  The.  Fuck. 

For one, it's no coincidence Alabama now sells NFL concepts.  Auburn had its own factory going which is why after five straight Iron Bowl victories, the football-obsessed schizophrenics went out and bought Nick Saban. 

For two, fuck him. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 11:45:20 PM »
Auburn had more players in the Pro Bowl than uat. Coach Chizik had more players in the Pro Bowl than Coach midget...so, yeah Auburn can and has used the ”preparing you for the NFL” line and they do it not to try and copy anyone, but because it's factual. God I hate the State media. I really do wish Auburn was in Georgia.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

GH2001

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 09:29:14 AM »
What.  The.  Fuck. 

For one, it's no coincidence Alabama now sells NFL concepts.  Auburn had its own factory going which is why after five straight Iron Bowl victories, the football-obsessed schizophrenics went out and bought Nick Saban. 

For two, fuck him.

You are correct. I counted our 30 to their 25.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/college

And also, that is with their recent "push" under Saban. What was the count 4-5 years ago? Probably even worse.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 09:42:07 AM »
Also, if this isn't hyperbole, I don't know what is.

The factory down the road in Tuscaloosa, run by ex-NFL coach Nick Saban, continues to churn out elite NFL prospects at a rate never seen before in SEC history.

Then the same article includes a chart that shows that they're tied for third in the SEC since 2009.

SEC DRAFT PICKS SINCE 2009
Team, total picks (1st-round picks)
LSU, 18 (2)
Georgia, 17 (3)
Alabama, 16 (7)
Florida, 16 (5)
South Carolina, 11 (0)
Tennessee, 9 (3)
Auburn, 9 (2)
Ole Miss, 9 (2)
Mississippi State, 6 (1)
Kentucky, 5 (0)
Arkansas, 5 (0)
Vanderbilt, 3 (0)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 09:44:46 AM »
Also, if this isn't hyperbole, I don't know what is.

Then the same article includes a chart that shows that they're tied for third in the SEC since 2009.

So 16 of the 25 players they have in the NFL have been just in the last 3 drafts? Telling me they only had 9 players in the NFL 3 years ago. Wow. We were probably around the low-mid 20's at the same time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 10:19:03 AM »
Any point in trying to call him out on it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 10:22:26 AM »
Any point in trying to call him out on it?

Twitter battle?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 11:02:20 AM »