Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Shark Once Jumped...

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
The Shark Once Jumped...
« on: March 20, 2012, 11:10:01 PM »
Occasionally shows can recover from jumping the shark and extend beyond the grisly, awkward end to a series. 

Most can't avoid jumping the shark in the first place -- even the greatest series in episodic television jumped on a whale shark with the gay Vito arc -- and even fewer can recover once astride the beast of the deep. 

One of my favorite shows of recent years is firmly entrenched in shark filled waters and I fear there is no hope of return. 

The Office is, to be quite honest, awful now.  It's a terrible show. 

Andy sucks balls, he was annoying as a supporting character and definitely can't carry the show. 

Trying to wring Jim/Pam, Michael/Holly drama out of the asinine lack of chemistry between Andy and Erin is about as viable as pairing Phyllis and Oscar would be.  Nobody buys or wants to see that nasty shit.  Erin, yes.  She's cute.  But paired with annoying Andy?   

The Robert California schtick is lame and brings little to the table. 

The new chick with the british accent is abrasive and detracts from the show.

Kevin, Dwight, Oscar, Angela, Stanley and Darryl have basically become caricatures of the roles they once played with subtlety.

The stupid fat whore with the two stupid dogs was a fail of epic proportions. 

Gabe had potential but failed to deliver.

Kelly, Ryan, Toby and Creed are wasted in throwaway roles. 

There is no sense of fun.  It's like a funeral.  They're all just dragging through the motions. 

I know NBC said after this season The Office would bow out gracefully with one last hurrah.  Too late for graceful goodbyes.  It's floundering like the Titanic after an iceberg bath or the Hindenburg in a thunderstorm. Part of me hopes they put it out of its misery before it befouls its legacy with another crapfest of a season.  Part of me wishes they'd fire everybody and retool with an almost entirely new cast to see if it could be salvaged.  All of me wishes they would fire Andy and Robert California to at least see if they could resurrect SOME of the fun.  But it's over probably.  It's laying there dying and nobody seems to know what to do.

Sad thing is that people like Jenna Fischer and John Krasinki who might have had some small chance outside that realm are going to be covered in the stink of the dying show and it's going to limit their future options.  Not that they had that many, but still. 

I hate to watch it now.  It's like watching a good friend slowly wither away and you can't do anything to help.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: The Shark Once Jumped...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 12:34:06 AM »
Robert California is gone after this season.

Unfortunately so is Dwight which will pretty much suck the rest of the funny out of the show.  They are going to make a Dwight spinoff....we know how those always work out. :suicide:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
Robert California is gone after this season.

Unfortunately so is Dwight which will pretty much suck the rest of the funny out of the show.  They are going to make a Dwight spinoff....we know how those always work out. :suicide:

Notable exception: Frasier.   It turned out to be better than the show from which it spun.  More depth.   Also a show that never really jumped the shark. Did at least gaze at the water during the Niles/Daphne wedding season.

Dwight is no Frasier.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 09:31:35 AM »
Occasionally shows can recover from jumping the shark and extend beyond the grisly, awkward end to a series. 

Most can't avoid jumping the shark in the first place -- even the greatest series in episodic television jumped on a whale shark with the gay Vito arc -- and even fewer can recover once astride the beast of the deep. 

One of my favorite shows of recent years is firmly entrenched in shark filled waters and I fear there is no hope of return. 

The Office is, to be quite honest, awful now.  It's a terrible show. 

Andy sucks balls, he was annoying as a supporting character and definitely can't carry the show. 

Trying to wring Jim/Pam, Michael/Holly drama out of the asinine lack of chemistry between Andy and Erin is about as viable as pairing Phyllis and Oscar would be.  Nobody buys or wants to see that nasty shit.  Erin, yes.  She's cute.  But paired with annoying Andy?   

The Robert California schtick is lame and brings little to the table. 

The new chick with the british accent is abrasive and detracts from the show.

Kevin, Dwight, Oscar, Angela, Stanley and Darryl have basically become caricatures of the roles they once played with subtlety.

The stupid fat whore with the two stupid dogs was a fail of epic proportions. 

Gabe had potential but failed to deliver.

Kelly, Ryan, Toby and Creed are wasted in throwaway roles. 

There is no sense of fun.  It's like a funeral.  They're all just dragging through the motions. 

I know NBC said after this season The Office would bow out gracefully with one last hurrah.  Too late for graceful goodbyes.  It's floundering like the Titanic after an iceberg bath or the Hindenburg in a thunderstorm. Part of me hopes they put it out of its misery before it befouls its legacy with another crapfest of a season.  Part of me wishes they'd fire everybody and retool with an almost entirely new cast to see if it could be salvaged.  All of me wishes they would fire Andy and Robert California to at least see if they could resurrect SOME of the fun.  But it's over probably.  It's laying there dying and nobody seems to know what to do.

Sad thing is that people like Jenna Fischer and John Krasinki who might have had some small chance outside that realm are going to be covered in the stink of the dying show and it's going to limit their future options.  Not that they had that many, but still. 

I hate to watch it now.  It's like watching a good friend slowly wither away and you can't do anything to help.

Agree.

It's another on my list from yesterday that started out good but waded into catshit territory eventually.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 09:47:26 AM »
Agree, I don't like it now.  It's on the DVR schedule.  The wife still watches it, but I don't. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
Notable exception: Frasier.   It turned out to be better than the show from which it spun.  More depth.   Also a show that never really jumped the shark. Did at least gaze at the water during the Niles/Daphne wedding season.

Dwight is no Frasier.

Sorry Frasier wasn't better than Cheers...maybe the last few seasons but not Cheers as a whole.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 09:57:31 AM »
Cheers was awesome. 

Noooorrrm

Can I get you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Yeah, but stop me at 1......okay, 1:30.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 09:58:16 AM »
As soon as Carell left, it became Caddy Shack II, which is exactly what everyone expected.

Why no one else in the cast salvaged their dignity and left with Michael Scott, I have no idea.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 10:02:28 AM »
Cheers was awesome. 

Noooorrrm

Can I get you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Yeah, but stop me at 1......okay, 1:30.

What would you say to a nice beer, Normie?

Going down?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 10:05:44 AM »
As soon as Carell left, it became Caddy Shack II, which is exactly what everyone expected.

Why no one else in the cast salvaged their dignity and left with Michael Scott, I have no idea.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

I almost said that too.

Caddyshack II, Season 6 of Sopranos (Kaos), Season 10 of Friends/Joey, Mayberry RFD, Smokey and the Bandit 2, Godfather III

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 10:31:16 AM »
What would you say to a nice beer, Normie?

Going down?

How's the world treating you, Mr. Peterson?

It's a dog eat dog world out there, Woody, and I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 10:42:30 AM »
How's the world treating you, Mr. Peterson?

It's a dog eat dog world out there, Woody, and I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear.

How's a beer sound, Norm?

I dunno. I usually finish them before they get a word in
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 12:20:59 PM »
So sue me.   Cheers had its moments but kept jumping on and off the shark. 
Sam and Diane. Sam and Rebecca.  Diane and Frasier.  Frasier and Lilith. Woody and Kelly.

It was never as consistently good as Frasier IMO.  It's one of those shows I watch even if I've seen it 15 times already. Cheers I grew tired of.

B&w Andy Griffith.  WKRP. News Radio.    Seinfeld (sometimes).   Those I like.  At one time MASH but not any more.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 12:44:07 PM »
They need to add another Jim / Pam baby to the office to save the show.   Or perhaps Jim and Pam can adopt a cute 5 year old and bring him into the office daily.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »
How's it going Mr. Peterson?
Poor.
I'm sorry to hear that.
No, I mean pour.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 01:25:52 PM »
The babies are enormous sharks.  Never cared less about a baby in my life. 

Also sharkish?  Will Ferrell's short time.  Really stupid. 

Also sharkish?  The whole "Katherine is going after Jim" angle.  Went nowhere, netted nothing.

Also sharkish?  Wasting the entire Stanley Gone Wild setup in Florida with a big fat nothing.

Also sharkish?  Georgia Engel.

Also sharkish? Todd Packer wasted in an unfunny, lengthy cameo. 

Should have ended it with the place getting shut down when Michael left. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 01:43:06 PM »
little house on the prairie jumped the shark when nancy was introduced. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 02:29:11 PM »
little house on the prairie jumped the shark when nancy was introduced.

Little Hou....you didn't just.....wait, did you say.........Umm....I got nuthin'.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 02:56:48 PM »
How's it going Mr. Peterson?
Poor.
I'm sorry to hear that.
No, I mean pour.

What'll you have Mr. Peterson?
I'll have a glass of whatever comes out of that tap.
Looks like it's beer.
Call me Mr. Lucky!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 02:58:23 PM »
So sue me.   Cheers had its moments but kept jumping on and off the shark. 
Sam and Diane. Sam and Rebecca.  Diane and Frasier.  Frasier and Lilith. Woody and Kelly.

It was never as consistently good as Frasier IMO.  It's one of those shows I watch even if I've seen it 15 times already. Cheers I grew tired of.

B&w Andy Griffith.  WKRP. News Radio.    Seinfeld (sometimes).   Those I like.  At one time MASH but not any more.

NewsRadio was one of the best shows ever.  I have the series on DVD minus the post Phil Hartman shark jumped season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.