Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Shark Once Jumped...

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: The Shark Once Jumped...
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 08:51:05 AM »
I recently discovered ME-TV which airs episodes of great (in retrospect many are awful) old shows like Family Affair, Petticoat Junction, Gomer Pyle, Love American Style (an old favorite of mine), Cannon, Mission Impossible, Hawaii Five-O, Kojack, Rockford Files, Batman, That Girl, My Three Sons and a bunch of other shows that were staples of my growing up years. 

One show that I watched religiously with my grandmother was Perry Mason.  Still love the theme song. 

So a Mason episode was on the other night and as I watched it I discovered that even the great litigator Mason could jump the shark.  This may not be the only episode in which Mason leaped astride the beast of the deep, but he was certainly clinging to a dorsal fin in Episode 239 of his 271 episode run:  The Case of the Grinning Gorilla.

Della buys a package of junk at an auction and it turns out that some rich guy wants it back.  In the process of dealing with the rich guy, Mason interacts with overacting Victor Buono and deals with Captain Stubing (who is stuffed into a suit meant for somebody half his size).  There's also a rampaging gorilla trashing the room of the now-dead rich guy. Mason manages to escape the monkey and rescue a former housekeeper being terrorized by the hairy silverback by throwing a few coins on the floor and staring at the ape with his manson lamps as he walks past it.  Of course the ape isn't the killer and the story unravels from there, but the ape interaction?  Shark written all over it. 

Saw an episode of Brady Bunch recently too.  The introduction of Cousin Fuckersludge.  Little bastard looked like John Denver playing Benjamin Button.  That was very sharkish too. 

Just out of curiosity can you pinpoint other instances where a show jumped the shark and hastened its decline?

For Sopranos?  It was the moment Vito popped up from between the construction worker's legs.  Some of the greatest episodes in the series followed in the wake of that disaster of a scene, but the remainder of the series run devolved from that storyline tangent. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 09:17:30 AM »
Funny you mentioned ME-TV. I caught it last week on the HD Antenna. Not sure where it is coming from but Petticoat Junction was on. Fan-friggin-tastic. Perry Mason (b&w, not the newer color) was on afterwards.

I used to watch Rockford Files in syndication on another network as a kid. Also with Emergency and Mannix. I thought Rockford Files was the coolest show ever. Reminds me of Hunter in the 80's which I thought was also a decent show. What does this all mean? TV shows today SUCK for the most part if middle of the pack shows from way back are better.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:18:15 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 10:09:46 AM »
Happy Days has a terrible jumping the shark episode.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 10:14:32 AM »
Happy Days has a terrible jumping the shark episode.

It would seem as if this was a witty pun since the phrase "jumping the shark" has taken on its own meaning, but this is actually where the term derived.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 10:18:11 AM »
It would seem as if this was a witty pun since the phrase "jumping the shark" has taken on its own meaning, but this is actually where the term derived.

I saw that Episode as a kid and thought to myself at the time that it was terrible compared to the rest of the earlier episodes. Guess I wasn't alone in thinking that. Fonzy waterskis? Gimme a break. Horrible. He needed to stick to getting free plays on the jukebox.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 10:33:52 AM »
I saw that Episode as a kid and thought to myself at the time that it was terrible compared to the rest of the earlier episodes. Guess I wasn't alone in thinking that. Fonzy waterskis? Gimme a break. Horrible. He needed to stick to getting free plays on the jukebox.

Did exactly the same thing.  I was watching thinking, oh man don't go there. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 10:39:06 AM »
Funny you mentioned ME-TV. I caught it last week on the HD Antenna. Not sure where it is coming from but Petticoat Junction was on. Fan-friggin-tastic. Perry Mason (b&w, not the newer color) was on afterwards.

I used to watch Rockford Files in syndication on another network as a kid. Also with Emergency and Mannix. I thought Rockford Files was the coolest show ever. Reminds me of Hunter in the 80's which I thought was also a decent show. What does this all mean? TV shows today SUCK for the most part if middle of the pack shows from way back are better.

I don't know if middle of the pack are way better.  I caught an episode of Cannon.  It was laughably bad.  It was like a parody it was so awful. 

Rockford was on last night, BTW. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 10:39:43 AM »

No shit...really.

:sarcasm:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:45:09 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 10:49:40 AM »

Then it took the shark and fucked it in the gills when aliens from Ork started showing up.  And Chachi.  Fuck Chachi. 

Even Gunsmoke apparently jumped the shark.  Today's episode?

A midget shows up in Dodge City claiming he'll turn into an elephant at midnight. 

Yes.  That's the storyline. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 10:58:39 AM »
Then it took the shark and fucked it in the gills when aliens from Ork started showing up.  And Chachi.  Fuck Chachi. 

Even Gunsmoke apparently jumped the shark.  Today's episode?

A midget shows up in Dodge City claiming he'll turn into an elephant at midnight. 

Yes.  That's the storyline. 

Gunsmoke was bound to. They only had over 500 episodes or something. I think they are the longest running show (fiction) ever.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 11:01:34 AM »
Gunsmoke was bound to. They only had over 500 episodes or something. I think they are the longest running show (fiction) ever.
Simpsons.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2012, 11:05:49 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simpsons

The Simpsons is the longest-running American sitcom, the longest-running American animated program, and in 2009 it surpassed Gunsmoke as the longest-running American primetime, scripted television series.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2012, 11:08:23 AM »
Simpsons.

Ok, until recently then.

Not trying to knock the simpsons or anything because I like it, but keeping a real live cast together as long as Gunsmoke did is amazing. Animation is no walk in the park either, but what GS did for that long was just nuts. There aren't too many shows now that will reach that magic 200 episode mark.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 11:18:22 AM »
Simpsons.

Difference is nobody's watched that show since 1994.  It may still be on but nobody knows it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2012, 11:36:40 AM »
What does this all mean? TV shows today SUCK for the most part if middle of the pack shows from way back are better.

No, it means that nostalgia has you believing that those old shows are that much better.  Network tv has always been mostly garbage.

Side Note:  HUGE props to GF for the new avatar.  The man gots mad skillz, yo.  So far I've been Terry Bowden, Alan from The Hangover and Danny Noonan.  Kudos, sir.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 11:39:18 AM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2012, 11:44:37 AM »
No, it means that nostalgia has you believing that those old shows are that much better.  Network tv has always been mostly garbage.

Side Note:  HUGE props to GF for the new avatar.  The man gots mad skillz, yo.  So far I've been Terry Bowden, Alan from The Hangover and Danny Noonan.  Kudos, sir.

Well, if it isn't Sigmund Freud telling me why I think what I do.

Surely, you don't think the "ahead of it's time" writing on Andy Griffith and the chemistry/dialogue between its characters was "garbage".

Back then, half the shows were junk. Now, 99% of them are junk. That's the difference. Better humor, better writing, better acting (although it wasn't great on many old shows either).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2012, 11:47:45 AM »
Surely, you don't think the "ahead of it's time" writing on Andy Griffith and the chemistry/dialogue between its characters was "garbage".

No.  What I said was: 
Network tv has always been mostly garbage.

Then you said:
(although it wasn't great on many old shows either).

So, essentially we're saying the same fucking thing, Cochise.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 11:48:55 AM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2012, 11:52:02 AM »
Well, if it isn't Sigmund Freud telling me why I think what I do.

Back then, half the shows were junk. Now, 99% of them are junk. That's the difference. Better humor, better writing, better acting (although it wasn't great on many old shows either).
I can't watch a full episode of Andy Griffith without falling asleep.

Give me American Horror Story, Eastbound & Down, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret, and at least a dozen other shows currently on the air a thousand times before an episode of Andy Griffith.

Wes is right. Nostalgia is kinder than time.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 11:53:36 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2012, 11:53:50 AM »
No.  What I said was: 

Then you said:
So, essentially we're saying the same fucking thing, Cochise.

I was speaking of the acting actually. Some of it was horrid. Gilligans Island and Green Acres are two prime example. I'd rather smell hot vomit mixed with Pabst Blue Ribbon than to watch either of those.

And how dare you use racial slurs. Bigot!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 11:57:14 AM »
I can't watch a full episode of Andy Griffith without falling asleep.

Give me American Horror Story, Eastbound & Down, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret, and at least a dozen other shows currently on the air a thousand times before an episode of Andy Griffith.

Wes is right. Nostalgia is kinder than time.

Also remember that you may be using today's metrics to judge a show from 1960. Andy was way ahead of its time for 1960. Especially if you look around that time period at the other shows and compare. Light years ahead of everything else, including Lucy, Beaver, Hillbillies, etc.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE