Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

A Quote That Wouldn't Resonate Today

A Quote That Wouldn't Resonate Today
« on: March 17, 2012, 09:04:45 AM »
“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior, except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.” - Theodore Roosevelt, age 23, after returning from his third trip to Europe and remarking how he would never want to live there or anywhere else.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
Re: A Quote That Wouldn't Resonate Today
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 05:02:34 PM »
“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior, except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.” - Theodore Roosevelt, age 23, after returning from his third trip to Europe and remarking how he would never want to live there or anywhere else.

That quote should definitely resonate today, just as much as it would have then. 

Why do you think that?  Does it seem too offensive or arrogant to those lessor Euro-trash? 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 05:03:10 PM by GarMan »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

JR4AU

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 05:13:42 PM »
That quote should definitely resonate today, just as much as it would have then. 

Why do you think that?  Does it seem too offensive or arrogant to those lessor Euro-trash?

I take it to mean "we are all created equal".  We are not born in to a ruling, or servant class, and force to remain there due to our birthright.  Here we can choose our class, and lot in life.  We all start out and finish equal in the eyes of God.   You can only be "better" or "worse" than your fellow man by what you achieve, or by your own poor actions in life, but all start and end equal. 

Did I miss the point?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 05:24:10 PM »
JR nailed it.

I think modern day looks at "except for his own worth" and "except for his own demerit" as invalid phrases. 

No man is different than me unless he has more worth, then he is abominably wicked.  No man is different than me unless he is worth less, then he is wrongfully oppressed and those who are worth something must help him with his plight. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 10:03:09 AM »
JR nailed it.

I think modern day looks at "except for his own worth" and "except for his own demerit" as invalid phrases. 

No man is different than me unless he has more worth, then he is abominably wicked.  No man is different than me unless he is worth less, then he is wrongfully oppressed and those who are worth something must help him with his plight.

Agree.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 11:35:24 AM »
JR nailed it.

Well, everybody's supposed to be a victim today.  It's always somebody else's fault. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 01:39:15 PM »
Well, everybody's supposed to be a victim today.  It's always somebody else's fault.

That's true.

That's also why it wouldn't resonate.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 01:39:27 PM »
JR nailed it.

"WHAT!  Do you think you're better than me?"  (Not you THS)

Well, I might be, or you might be.  I mean, Bo and Cam are better athletes than I'll ever be.  Bill Gates is better at computers, and marketing them than I'll ever be.  Donald Trump is better at making money than I'll ever be.  Some people just make a more substantial and meaningful contribution to this planet, or society than others.   Here in America, we can control a lot of how we turn out.  I choose not be like the people I prosecute.  On the day we come in the world, and the day we leave it, we're all equal, but in between some rise above others, while some choose to spend their lives in the gutter. 

Yep, nobody will own their own fuck ups anymore. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:40:11 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions