Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Reform?!?

Token

Reform?!?
« on: March 20, 2012, 07:51:11 AM »
The system works fine!!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/michigan-woman-still-collecting-food-stamps-winning-1-201751693.html

People love stories about someone winning the lottery and then giving the money away. They're less likely to feel fondly about Amanda Clayton, who won $1 million in the Michigan State Lottery but is still collecting food stamps.

"I thought that they would cut me off, but since they didn't, I thought maybe it was OK because I'm not working," Clayton, 24, told Local 4 news in Detroit.

Back in December, a woman in Washington State fell under scrutiny when it was revealed she was receiving state economic benefits even though she lives in a $1 million waterfront home on Lake Washington.

Clayton, who says she owns two homes and a new car, receives $200 a month in food assistance from the state-issued Michigan Bridge Card, which is meant to benefit lower-income residents in the nation's eigth most economically depressed state.

Twenty-five percent of Michigan's residents receive some form of food assistance from the state. The state's unemployment rate is 9.3 percent, more than a full point above the national average, but has dropped from a 10.4 percent peak in August.

And Clayton isn't embarrassed about living off the state even though she now finds herself in the nation's top tax bracket. "I mean I kinda do," Clayton told Local 4 when asked if she had a "right" to the government welfare.

She certainly doesn't the fit the mold of other lottery winners we have told you about here at the Sideshow, including the number of repeat winners of the Georgia State Lottery, many of whom chose to donate their initial winnings to charity or family members in need.

Clayton downplayed her wealth, saying she took the $1 million in a lump sump, which meant about half immediately went to taxes. "I feel that it's OK because I mean, I have no income and I have bills to pay," she said. "I have two houses."

Her story has already caught attention locally, where state Republican Rep. Dale Zorn has sponsored a bill preventing individuals like Clayton from taking state financial assistance.

"Public assistance should be given to those who are in need of public assistance, not those who have found riches," Zorn told Local 4. The bill, which has already passed the state House and has a sister bill in the Senate, would require the state to cross check the names of lottery winners over $1,000 to see if they are also receiving state financial benefits.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Reform?!?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:18:16 AM »
Welfare to Work
Entitlement Reform
Welfare Reform

Whatever you want to call it - we need it, again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 09:33:56 AM »
Damn it, people.  She's got two houses.  She's got bills to pay.  What do you expect her to do?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 09:51:04 AM »
Remember the redneck Mississippi video I posted from Bill Maher & Pelosi's daughter?

Here's the B-side. The yin to the yang. I thought it was more relevant here than the other thread.

(Skip to 3:20)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:52:20 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 11:20:18 AM »
Remember the redneck Mississippi video I posted from Bill Maher & Pelosi's daughter?

Here's the B-side. The yin to the yang. I thought it was more relevant here than the other thread.

(Skip to 3:20)

No.  Still yang. 

If you watch the ugly whore and the fuckersnout long enough (you decide which is which) they eventually get to "what's the problem giving people $70 bil for foodstamps when you spend $700 bil on defense" and "Wal Street people make lots of money, it's an entitlement culture.." 

Both of those people can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned.  Would I prefer to take the $200 Mr. "Career, but not a job" gets from food stamps and spend it making sure the military has what it needs to prevail?  Yep.  70 billion time over, yes.  Yes I would. 

That Pelosi mommy part and her mother are prime reasons this country cannot survive long term.  They need to be removed from the decision making process and that twat Maher just needs to be removed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 12:05:11 PM »
Regarding the video, I thought it was hilarious watching them squirm through that dialogue at the conclusion of the interviews.  They barely understand what's happening...  It's great!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand