Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Jovon Robinson

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Jovon Robinson
« on: January 30, 2012, 01:35:32 PM »
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20120129/SPORTS0402/201290325/Football-recruiting-Robinson-ready-help-Auburn-s-run-game

Robinson ready to help Auburn's run game

AUBURN -- Jovon Robinson has reason to be bitter, but he never saw value in that kind of thinking.

He'd rather spend his time working.

The Memphis, Tenn., native committed to Auburn last summer and spent six months in T.J. Yeldon's shadow. They both were coveted tailbacks and Yeldon, who later de-committed and enrolled at Alabama, always was considered faster, quicker, more polished, better.

Robinson doesn't care about that.

"Everybody is going to find out what kind of a player I am and until that day comes, nothing else matters," Robinson said. "I don't care about T.J. Yeldon. I've never met him. If he's walking away from Auburn, I don't need to meet him. I love Auburn, and I'm ready to be great for the other people who love Auburn. That's all I think about."

Jovon Robinson is a throw-back.

Speed has become perhaps the most valuable commodity in college football these days.

Players like Onterio McCalebb, the Tigers' ultra-fast utility back, might have been confined to special teams roles a decade ago.

Not any longer. Putting sprinters in open space often yields positive returns.

Robinson isn't part of that equation. He stands 6-foot-1, weighs 220 pounds and has no trouble winning one-on-one confrontations with linebackers. He's rough and aggressive and wants defenders to challenge him.

They don't win very often.

And though Robinson has mastered the art of cutting back against defensive flow, which gives him the look of a quick back, he simply isn't particularly fast.

That's why Scout.com ranks him as the nation's No. 22 tailback.

"He's a perfect example of the backs Auburn used to produce all the time years ago -- the physical guys who pound the ball at you and make you stop them," said Barton Simmons, an analyst with 247Sports. "He's a no-nonsense kid who knows exactly where he wants to be and how to get there. Jovon will get the most out of his physical ability. The question is: What's his ceiling?"

Auburn had questions.

Robinson said the Tigers called with an offer this time last year -- after scouting him for months. He said 12 other schools offered a scholarship before he got official word from Auburn assistant coach Trooper Taylor.

Robinson isn't the kind of prospect who floors everyone at a camp. He knows that. The Tigers' caution didn't alarm him.

Then came Big Cat Weekend, which has become Auburn's featured, spring powwow for recruits. The idea is to cast the widest net possible -- dozens of prospects attend the event -- and give everyone in attendance a clear view of what the program's biggest strengths. Robinson was swayed. He committed six weeks later.

Recruiting ended there. The prized tailback took no additional visits. He politely informed assistants from rival programs that Auburn was his choice and would remain his choice. Even a change at offensive coordinator had no effect on Robinson's feelings.

Scot Loeffler called him within two hours of getting the job last weekend. Robinson appreciated the effort and got a kick out of the conversation.

"I asked him if he planned to run the ball. He said 'yes' and that's all I needed," Robinson said. "We could have been done in 15 seconds. If I work hard and show them what I can do, they'll get me the ball. I can be lethal in the system (Loeffler) described to me. It's all falling into place."

Yeldon's defection, as it turns out, may have been the best thing to happen to Robinson. He'll arrive on campus this summer with a real chance to earn playing time during the 2012 season. Auburn returns McCalebb and Tre Mason. Another tailback, Mike Blakely, will be eligible after transferring from Florida. None of them have Robinson's size or bulk.

He'll provide Loeffler something that can't be found anywhere else on the roster. That's exactly why Robinson chose Auburn in the first place.

"My role will be to handle anything they ask of me -- and I think I can do a lot," Robinson said. "I'll work in the slot, I'll run it, I'll catch screen passes. They got me to Auburn because of the family feel and now it's time to prove that I belong in that family. If Auburn people are still talking about T.J. Yeldon a few years from now, I haven't done my job."
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:36:05 PM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

JR4AU

Re: Jovon Robinson
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 01:39:38 PM »
Gotta love that attitude. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:42:59 PM »
Already like this kid
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:47:48 PM »
That's two woodrows in one day. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 02:09:01 PM »
Yes, I really like this kid too. I'm thinking he's gonna be a good'n.

This excites me.
Robinson isn't part of that equation. He stands 6-foot-1, weighs 220 pounds and has no trouble winning one-on-one confrontations with linebackers. He's rough and aggressive and wants defenders to challenge him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 02:12:17 PM »
Attitude wise (work horse) and size, he reminds me of Lattimore.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 02:15:06 PM »
"Everybody is going to find out what kind of a player I am and until that day comes, nothing else matters," Robinson said. "I don't care about T.J. Yeldon. I've never met him. If he's walking away from Auburn, I don't need to meet him. I love Auburn, and I'm ready to be great for the other people who love Auburn. That's all I think about."

<3
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

djsimp

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 02:19:28 PM »
Attitude wise (work horse) and size, he reminds me of Lattimore.

He should compliment Mason and Blakely very nicely for years to come. Let Robinson bust'em in the mouf, and the other two kill'em on the outside corners. Although, watching Mason finding the creases through the DL is exciting too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 02:23:32 PM »
Got a chance to watch Blakely run in the scrimmage I went to.  The guy is good.  Now granted, he was running with and against the 2's and 3's but you could tell he's a bad ass.  Built similar to Dyer but a bit smaller and quicker.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 02:28:44 PM »
Got a chance to watch Blakely run in the scrimmage I went to.  The guy is good.  Now granted, he was running with and against the 2's and 3's but you could tell he's a bad ass.  Built similar to Dyer but a bit smaller and quicker.

We gotz weapons.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 08:12:48 AM »
We gotz weapons.

Let's just hope none of them have weapons.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 09:21:36 AM »
Let's just hope none of them have weapons.

Nah, the Robbery 4 + Dyer are gone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 04:43:22 PM »
I just watched some videos of this guy again and I'm having severe vaginal leakage.  Shut the front door, this guy is 220 pounds and has moves like Jagger.  Damn jock straps left all over the field.  Plus, he'll truck a bitch if need be.  Let Prosch go all battering ram up the middle and Jovon cut off him....I see some sweet Auburn highlites in the future.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 04:44:37 PM »
I just watched some videos of this guy again and I'm having severe vaginal leakage.  Shut the front door, this guy is 220 pounds and has moves like Jagger.  Damn jock straps left all over the field.  Plus, he'll truck a bitch if need be.  Let Prosch go all battering ram up the middle and Jovon cut off him....I see some sweet Auburn highlites in the future.
I didn't know so much gay could fit in one sentence.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »

Don't act like you don't know.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 04:52:58 PM »

Only if he would have said, "open the back door".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 04:54:31 PM »
Only if he would have said, "open the back door".

Jay Prosch will ram it up in there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 04:55:20 PM »
Jay Prosch will ram it up in there.

And make you like it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 04:59:45 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 07:33:27 PM »
Don't act like you don't know.
Oh, I knew.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions