Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Turds hire Nussmeier from Huskies

Turds hire Nussmeier from Huskies
« on: January 16, 2012, 04:38:28 PM »
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7467571/alabama-crimson-tide-hires-doug-nussmeier-run-offense

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Alabama has hired former Washington offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier for the same position, a source with knowledge of the coaching search confirmed. Nussmeier, 42, has worked as Washington's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach under Steve Sarkisian since 2009. The Huskies ranked 25th nationally in scoring (33.4 points per game) and 38th in total offense (409.9 yards per game) in 2011.
More from TideNation

TideNation Everything Alabama, from recruiting to news to game coverage, is available at ESPN.com's TideNation.
More:
• ESPN.com Recruiting coverage
• ESPN.com's SEC blog

While at Washington, Nussmeier was instrumental in the development of Jake Locker, an NFL first-round pick in 2011, and sophomore Keith Price, who ranked 13th in quarterback rating (157.9) and seventh in touchdown passes (29) in 2011.

Prior to joining the Huskies, he was offensive coordinator at Fresno State in 2008. The 42-year-old was quarterbacks coach of the St. Louis Rams for two seasons, helping guide Marc Bulger to a Pro Bowl in 2006.

He also served as quarterbacks coach at Michigan State from 2003-04, tutoring future NFL quarterback Drew Stanton.

At Alabama, Nussmeier will inherit sophomore quarterback AJ McCarron. In 2011, the first-year starter threw for 2,634 yards, 15 touchdowns and just five interceptions on his way to becoming the first underclassman quarterback to ever win a BCS National Championship.

Nussmeier also gets an offensive line that remains for the most part intact, headed by Outland Trophy winner Barrett Jones.

Nussmeier played five seasons at quarterback in the NFL, four with the New Orleans Saints and one with the Indianapolis Colts. He played quarterback at Idaho in college and threw for 10,824 yards in his career. Along with the late Steve McNair and Daunte Culpepper, he is one of only three college quarterbacks in history to account for 10,000 yards passing and 1,000 yards rushing in a career.

Nussmeier is respected in the recruiting world. He helped reel in top 25 recruiting classes to Washington in 2010 and 2011, according to ESPN's team rankings.

Nussmeier replaces Jim McElwain, who left to become coach at Colorado State after four seasons with the Tide. Alabama reportedly interviewed former New York Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and former Jaguars coordinator Dirk Koetter before hiring Nussmeier.

Alabama was expected to announce the hiring of Nussmeier late Monday or Tuesday.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Turds hire Nussmeier from Huskies
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 04:46:08 PM »
The first underclass an QB to ever win the BCS?  What the hell?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 04:57:17 PM »
Lord Saybinz has made his selection.  We are now free to sort through the scraps.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 05:03:23 PM »
Lord Saybinz has made his selection.  We are now free to sort through the scraps.

Actually, Ima thinkn this bama hire is a dud. Not to mention, does this guy actually think he will be able to run his type of offense? Shirley not.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 05:13:55 PM »
Actually, Ima thinkn this bama hire is a dud. Not to mention, does this guy actually think he will be able to run his type of offense? Shirley not.

Saybinz hires guys that will run Saybinz offense.  It's why you don't see him hiring "coordinator de jure"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 05:20:06 PM »
This sounds impressive:

Nussmeier played five seasons at quarterback in the NFL, four with the New Orleans Saints and one with the Indianapolis Colts.

Until you realize this:

Nussmeier was a reserve quarterback in the NFL for five seasons in the mid-1990s, spending four years with the New Orleans Saints (1994-97) and one with the Indianapolis Colts (1998). During that time, he played in only eight regular-season NFL games, and threw for only one touchdown while throwing four interceptions. In 1998, Nussmeier spent part of training camp with the Denver Broncos, but was released prior to the regular season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 05:32:53 PM »
This sounds impressive:

Until you realize this:

What difference does that make?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 05:34:10 PM »

He had to hook up with the groupies that Hebert and Harbaugh rejected.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

JR4AU

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 05:35:49 PM »
He had to hook up with the groupies that Hebert and Harbaugh rejected.

That would suck.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 05:37:47 PM »
They're all worthless and weak.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 06:01:23 PM »
What the fuck do you mean, what difference does it make?

Saying he played five seasons in the NFL as a quarterback for the Saints and Colts sounds impressive.

The reality is that he was a backup who only played in eight games in five years and had four times as many interceptions as touchdowns (one).

Are those two things equally impressive to you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 06:19:24 PM »
The first underclass an QB to ever win the BCS?  What the hell?

Yeah, that's bullshit.  I don't know who the first was, but I know Matt Leinart was a junior in 2004 when USC won the BCS.  Maybe they don't count that one since the championship was stripped?  But surely there was another underclassmen QB who won the BCS...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

JR4AU

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 06:25:37 PM »
What the fuck do you mean, what difference does it make?

Saying he played five seasons in the NFL as a quarterback for the Saints and Colts sounds impressive.

The reality is that he was a backup who only played in eight games in five years and had four times as many interceptions as touchdowns (one).

Are those two things equally impressive to you?

Is it more impressive to be an NFL starter than a clipboard holder?  Sure.  What's the relevance now in so far as it relates to his coaching?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 06:26:30 PM »
Yeah, that's bullshit.  I don't know who the first was, but I know Matt Leinart was a junior in 2004 when USC won the BCS.  Maybe they don't count that one since the championship was stripped?  But surely there was another underclassmen QB who won the BCS...

Is a junior an underclassman?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 06:30:36 PM »

Or maybe because junior does not mean underclassman?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

jmar

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 06:40:23 PM »
Tebow was a backup to Chris Leak as an underclassman when Florida made it's run on the BCS. I know of no other possibility.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 06:52:31 PM »
Tebow was a backup to Chris Leak as an underclassman when Florida made it's run on the BCS. I know of no other possibility.
*Tebow wasn't the starter his freshman year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

jmar

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 06:56:27 PM »
*Tebow wasn't the starter his freshman year.
Not as I recall.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 08:52:40 PM »
Coach Nussmeier didn't run his offense at UDub either, Coach Sarkisian called the plays. He gets to call the plays that lord sabbin allows him to.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin