No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
Re: Hey! That's MY Excuse, RIAA
« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2012, 04:33:33 PM »
You are correct; I am completely useless.  Meanwhile, I'm sure you're busy fixing laptops with LEDs from the 1960's...

LEDs are dangerous... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2012, 06:59:32 PM »
LEDs are dangerous...

Indeed, so your Commodore 64 that used them back in the 70's is deadly as fuck.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

GarMan

« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »
Indeed, so your Commodore 64 that used them back in the 70's is deadly as fuck.

That was a TI-99 wiff a tape drive, BITCH!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #144 on: January 19, 2012, 12:26:59 PM »
So can I get some cliffs ITT? 

I have it like this but may be off.

Chizad is against SOPA as should any other red blooded American anytime shitty legislation is introduced, especially legislation that is vague and could allow for the Gov't to overstep its bounds?
RWS is for it, or is at least being a dumbass and arguing for it b/c we should trust the Gov't to do the right thing and these whiney ass companies are mad b/c it will cut into their profits?  How dare they want to make as much money as possible?
GH and simp want Chizad to take blood pressure med and to smoke some weed?
Uncle Sani drops some jokes?
Garman hasn't really stated a position, but him and VV are talking about LED's again?
Chizad still hasn't gone to federal pound me in ass prison for all his Internet Tom Foolery?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #145 on: January 19, 2012, 12:34:06 PM »
So can I get some cliffs ITT? 

I have it like this but may be off.

Chizad is against SOPA as should any other red blooded American anytime shitty legislation is introduced, especially legislation that is vague and could allow for the Gov't to overstep its bounds?
RWS is for it, or is at least being a dumbass and arguing for it b/c we should trust the Gov't to do the right thing and these whiney ass companies are mad b/c it will cut into their profits?  How dare they want to make as much money as possible?
GH and simp want Chizad to take blood pressure med and to smoke some weed?
Uncle Sani drops some jokes?
Garman hasn't really stated a position, but him and VV are talking about LED's again?
Chizad still hasn't gone to federal pound me in ass prison for all his Internet Tom Foolery?
Pretty much.

RWS agrees with "Hollyweird".
http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/exclusive-hollywood-moguls-stopping-obama-donations-because-of-administrations-piracy-stand/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #146 on: January 19, 2012, 12:43:07 PM »
Pretty much.

RWS agrees with "Hollyweird".
http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/exclusive-hollywood-moguls-stopping-obama-donations-because-of-administrations-piracy-stand/

I am actually with you on this. I am very against both of these bills. They are dangerous.

I'm just not going to have to jump on Xanax because of it. Harry Reid is who is really trying to pull a lot of strings to ram this bill in (just like he did with Healthcare).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GarMan

« Reply #147 on: January 19, 2012, 04:18:35 PM »
For the record, PIPA and SOPA are complete crap and deserve to be defeated.  The government has no place in this.  Co-sponsors are dropping pretty fast, so it's only a matter of time.

Meanwhile...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/apnewsbreak-workers-indicted-at-one-of-worlds-largest-file-sharing-sites-megauploadcom/2012/01/19/gIQAJPIRBQ_story.html

Be on the lookout for brownshirts and other gubm'et orcs. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #148 on: January 19, 2012, 04:21:34 PM »
That was a TI-99 wiff a tape drive, BITCH!

TI-99?  I thought that was this?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #150 on: January 19, 2012, 05:56:38 PM »
Wow...look at the balls on the FBI!

"We'll see your voluntary day of internet blackout and raise you a permanent lifetime of Megaupload blackout.  Your move, Internet." 

Is it me, or does this action prove that SOPA means nothing and that the government will do whatever they want?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Vandy Vol

« Reply #151 on: January 19, 2012, 06:11:38 PM »

"We'll see your voluntary day of internet blackout and raise you a permanent lifetime of Megaupload blackout.  Your move, Internet." 

Is it me, or does this action prove that SOPA means nothing and that the government will do whatever they want?

In all fairness, the investigation against them began two years ago.  But yes, the timing of the indictment itself is definitely a "fuck you."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2012, 06:14:08 PM »
In all fairness, the investigation against them began two years ago.  But yes, the timing of the indictment itself is definitely a "fuck you."

The timing is still most likely coincidental.  However, you know the FBI had their troll face on when this went down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #153 on: January 19, 2012, 06:21:29 PM »
The timing is still most likely coincidental.  However, you know the FBI had their troll face on when this went down.

Most definitely; if I were the FBI, I would have it on.

And I'm sure Megaupload's response will be to point at Mediafire and other similar sites and ask:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #154 on: January 19, 2012, 06:58:29 PM »

It's just more evidence to what RWS fails to grasp, which is this was never about simply protecting copyright violations. They can do that now, even as heavy-handedly as this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:34:31 PM by GarMan »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #156 on: January 19, 2012, 10:05:26 PM »
The Anonymous cyber-punks are just playing into SOPA's hands. 

"See how dangerous we can be if you fuck with our internet?"

"Yeah.  Did you remember that you aren't fucking with fellow pimple-faced dweebs?  Oh you didn't?  Here.  Let me take your internet from you."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #157 on: January 19, 2012, 10:41:49 PM »
12/21/12, here we come.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #158 on: January 20, 2012, 09:51:01 AM »
Like I said in previous posts, I'm not saying that this is the best bill EVAR EVAR written. Sure, there are parts that are a little murky and open ended. But when you're dealing with the internet, you almost have to be somewhat open ended. Is that a sign that the government is going to regulate the internet like we're the new Iran? Maybe. But I doubt it. I just don't see how you can make finely worded statutes when you're dealing with piracy on the internet. The second you make some absolutes, you've got a million folks around the world working non-stop to come up with a workaround the next day.

Your post above opens a can of worms. Where does that mentality end? Is it OK to steal TVs from Wal-Mart because they already make huge profits? Is it OK to steal laptops from Best Buy because they make money? Should Microsoft be forced to hand out copies of Windows for free because Bill Gates is a rich bastard? Should I be able to steal groceries from the grocery store because I think that particular chain is too profitable? Can I steal some guy's Maserati because he must have money? Can I break into your house and steal your shit because it's a really nice house? Where do we draw the line with that thinking? Is it only OK to steal shit that is popular and available on the internet? It's OK to commit property crimes on the internet, but just not on the streets?

One of my problems with the opposition is how they are using hyperbole and scare tactics. It sort of reminds me of how American civilization as we knew it was coming to an end due to the Patriot Act. Now, I'm not saying that it is the best piece of legislation that has ever been passed either. Maybe the FBI has secret cameras in my house. Maybe they are listening to every call I make or receive. Maybe they follow me when I drop my kids off at school. I don't know. But honestly, I couldn't give two shits less if they are. I'm not doing anything illegal, so if they want to watch my boring ass life, then that's their problem. If that makes me less of an American, then I'm sorry. It just hasn't negatively affected me in any way at all. I would go as far as saying it probably hasn't negatively affected a good bit of Americans. I don't really have any way to quantify that, so maybe I'm wrong. I just think the hyperbole was a bit much over the top, much like with SOPA. It certainly may not be the best bill ever written, but I highly doubt it is the "end of the internet".

I would like to see what ideas companies that are against SOPA, such as Google, have in the fold to suggest in SOPA's place. I believe it was Google's CEO that said there are better ways to go about it. If there is a much more effective way to fight this problem, I think they should band together and lay out that solution to lawmakers. Maybe they have and I just don't know about it. I'm not talking about a self-serving solution that basically has no teeth. I mean a real, viable solution. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #159 on: January 20, 2012, 10:01:29 AM »
Like I said in previous posts, I'm not saying that this is the best bill EVAR EVAR written. Sure, there are parts that are a little murky and open ended. But when you're dealing with the internet, you almost have to be somewhat open ended. Is that a sign that the government is going to regulate the internet like we're the new Iran? Maybe. But I doubt it. I just don't see how you can make finely worded statutes when you're dealing with piracy on the internet. The second you make some absolutes, you've got a million folks around the world working non-stop to come up with a workaround the next day.

Your post above opens a can of worms. Where does that mentality end? Is it OK to steal TVs from Wal-Mart because they already make huge profits? Is it OK to steal laptops from Best Buy because they make money? Should Microsoft be forced to hand out copies of Windows for free because Bill Gates is a rich bastard? Should I be able to steal groceries from the grocery store because I think that particular chain is too profitable? Can I steal some guy's Maserati because he must have money? Can I break into your house and steal your shit because it's a really nice house? Where do we draw the line with that thinking? Is it only OK to steal shit that is popular and available on the internet? It's OK to commit property crimes on the internet, but just not on the streets?

One of my problems with the opposition is how they are using hyperbole and scare tactics. It sort of reminds me of how American civilization as we knew it was coming to an end due to the Patriot Act. Now, I'm not saying that it is the best piece of legislation that has ever been passed either. Maybe the FBI has secret cameras in my house. Maybe they are listening to every call I make or receive. Maybe they follow me when I drop my kids off at school. I don't know. But honestly, I couldn't give two shits less if they are. I'm not doing anything illegal, so if they want to watch my boring ass life, then that's their problem. If that makes me less of an American, then I'm sorry. It just hasn't negatively affected me in any way at all. I would go as far as saying it probably hasn't negatively affected a good bit of Americans. I don't really have any way to quantify that, so maybe I'm wrong. I just think the hyperbole was a bit much over the top, much like with SOPA. It certainly may not be the best bill ever written, but I highly doubt it is the "end of the internet".

I would like to see what ideas companies that are against SOPA, such as Google, have in the fold to suggest in SOPA's place. I believe it was Google's CEO that said there are better ways to go about it. If there is a much more effective way to fight this problem, I think they should band together and lay out that solution to lawmakers. Maybe they have and I just don't know about it. I'm not talking about a self-serving solution that basically has no teeth. I mean a real, viable solution.

You do know there are existing copyright and pirating laws in place now, right? A simple modification needs to be done. The overzealous lawmakers like Reid are using this as an excuse to regulate and control anything they can get their hands on. When generic language is used to write a bill, it can lead to interpretation by a judge and a slippery slope occurs. Pelosi has tried the same crap with supplements attempting to define anything that helps an ailment as a "Drug". Yes, they have made Cheerios take verbiage off their box saying they can lower Cholesterol. Vitamin C and Orange Juice containers can't say anything about helping the immune system. If it does, it will be considered a "drug" and by regulated/controlled prescription only. Ridicilous eh? This is the type of thing that will happen with SOPA as well. Again, slippery slope. Do not be naive here.

The fact that Chad, GarMan, VV, THS, myself and probably a few others oppose this should tell you something. When the hell has that ever happened involving something political? Fuck the entertainment industry.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE