Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Small batch bourbons

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
Re: Small batch bourbons
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2011, 10:59:38 AM »
You are getting there. This makes me think there is hope for you.....

But then you say some shit like this.

TN whiskey is not that good. 

If burrbinzz wasn't king then the Irish and Scotts wouldn't need their leftover barrels to get some of the bourbon in their product to make it drinkable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2011, 02:43:51 PM »
TN whiskey is not that good. 

If burrbinzz wasn't king then the Irish and Scotts wouldn't need their leftover barrels to get some of the bourbon in their product to make it drinkable.

That sounds like a nice marketing catch phase for Bourbon makers. Too bad that ain't why they buy them.

They do buy and use the barrells from Kentucky for Scotch and Irish Whiskey but its only to meet demand in those countries. Their whiskey is typically aged longer on average. Realtive to the size of those 2 countries, the amount of whiskey made there is astronomical. Bourbon, by law has to be aged in NEW American White Oak barrels. Since it typically doesn't age nearly as long as the other 2 styles, turnover is a lot higher. The reality is, America has a shit ton more wood and barrels at their disposal than does Ireland or Scotland as well. It makes perfect sense really.

International Whiskeys:
JAMESON = 30 million bottles sold yearly.
Johnnie Walker = 130 million bottles sold yearly. (biggest selling spirit in the world, period)
Chivas Regal = 55 million bottles sold yearly.

Thats a LOT of demand coming out of 2 countries that have less than 10 million people combined. And those are just the Big 3.

Other notables from a 300 million people populated country (US) for comparison sake:
Jim Beam =  72 million bottles sold yearly (biggest selling Bourbon in the world)
Jack Daniel's = 120 million bottles sold yearly (biggest selling United States whisky)

Some rarer ones:
Knob Creek = 2.5 million bottles sold yearly.
Woodford Reserve = 1.9 million bottles sold yearly.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2011, 03:09:10 PM »
I bought 1.7 million of the Knob Creek and 957,000 of the Woodford.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2011, 03:11:21 PM »
I bought 1.7 million of the Knob Creek and 957,000 of the Woodford.

This may surprise Duane Allman Jr., but I happen to think those 2 are decent. And I fully agree with him on the TN whisky.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2011, 03:14:08 PM »
And I fully agree with him on the TN whisky.

I managed to get the wife detached from JD. Now she has moved to Beam. Baby Steps.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2011, 03:15:55 PM »
This may surprise Duane Allman Jr., but I happen to think those 2 are decent. And I fully agree with him on the TN whisky.

Now granted, my evaluation is based around mixture with delicious coke product, but I think Woodford is one of the mildest, sweetest tasting burrbinz out there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2011, 03:19:26 PM »
I managed to get the wife detached from JD. Now she has moved to Beam. Baby Steps.

Frying pan to the fire eh?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2011, 03:26:50 PM »
Frying pan to the fire eh?

I'm trying to pull here along to Craig. She just doesn't like Craig too much.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2011, 03:42:25 PM »

Tell me more?

Go to Makers Mark dot com, and click on the ambassador link.  You can sign up from there.  Your name will be put on a barrel and you can track your barrel over the six years it is in the distillery.  They also send you a gift each Christmas.  Once your barrel is ready you will get an invite to come up and get a bottle (or two in Jumbo's case) of single barrel burbinz from your barrel.  You also get to dip your own bottle.

Jumbo, did you drink one and hang on to the other?  What changes as a Sr ambassador?

Four Roses single barrel is kinda rough stuff.  The Four Roses small batch is pretty good though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #129 on: December 28, 2011, 04:26:31 PM »
Four Roses single barrel is kinda rough stuff.  The Four Roses small batch is pretty good though.

Agreed. I might try the small batch at some point.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #130 on: December 29, 2011, 12:17:47 AM »

Nah, not a surprise.  If you notice, I don't ever talk about Jim Beam, or anything like that.  I want my bourbon to be aged, which is why I like the small batch stuff and the smaller distilleries.  Aged and single barrel if available.   Which would be why I rave over the Eagle Rare so much.  10 years and single barrel..... Makers Mark is about the only "mainstream bourbon" I drink and it is still a small batch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

« Reply #131 on: December 29, 2011, 09:48:39 AM »
Nah, not a surprise.  If you notice, I don't ever talk about Jim Beam, or anything like that.  I want my bourbon to be aged, which is why I like the small batch stuff and the smaller distilleries.  Aged and single barrel if available.   Which would be why I rave over the Eagle Rare so much.  10 years and single barrel..... Makers Mark is about the only "mainstream bourbon" I drink and it is still a small batch.

I do want to go to the Maker's distillery just for the experience like Jumbo and ssg have spoken about. Actually most southern distilleries are pretty cool culturally, regardless of taste buds.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #132 on: December 29, 2011, 10:27:03 AM »
I do want to go to the Maker's distillery just for the experience like Jumbo and ssg have spoken about. Actually most southern distilleries are pretty cool culturally, regardless of taste buds.

Makers is a good distillery.  Knob Creek was another one I enjoyed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #133 on: December 29, 2011, 10:12:19 PM »
Go to Makers Mark dot com, and click on the ambassador link.  You can sign up from there.  Your name will be put on a barrel and you can track your barrel over the six years it is in the distillery.  They also send you a gift each Christmas.  Once your barrel is ready you will get an invite to come up and get a bottle (or two in Jumbo's case) of single barrel burbinz from your barrel.  You also get to dip your own bottle.

Jumbo, did you drink one and hang on to the other?  What changes as a Sr ambassador?

Done.  As much of this stuff as I have drank, I never knew about it.  I knew about the squires club with Jack Daniels, but fuck that, it's a shit product and I don't want to be associated with it.  I can't even drink Gentlemen Jack or the Single Barrel much anymore.       

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #134 on: December 30, 2011, 09:22:42 AM »
Done.  As much of this stuff as I have drank, I never knew about it.  I knew about the squires club with Jack Daniels, but fuck that, it's a shit product and I don't want to be associated with it.  I can't even drink Gentlemen Jack or the Single Barrel much anymore.       

I've done the Kentucky Bourbon Tour, but I have never been to the Jack Daniels distillery and it's the closest one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #135 on: December 30, 2011, 03:25:31 PM »
I've never heard of the Maker's Mark deal either. Just went and signed up also. That will give me a great excuse to go visit in a few years.

Just made it back from my Christmas trip back home to Alabama so I've been away from my boubon stash for a few days, my grandam doesn't approve of teh drinkin'. I tried several new bourbons before I headed back to home for the holidays.

Buffalo Trace- Very nice drink for the price. Similar taste to Eagle Rare(I think they are from the same distillery)

Old Weller Antique Bourbon- This gets a big ole meh. Nothing special at all, this is destined to meet a nice coke product... It's only real benefit is the 107 proof

Elijah Craig- Mighty fine sippin' bourbon. Can't believe I haven't had this before

I just stopped by the store for something new today, picked up Clyde May's Conecuh Ridge Whiskey. I had to try it because the bottle said it was Alabama style whiskey made from Clyde's secret recipe. Also picked up a bottle of Ezra Brook's 12 Year Single Barrel. I'll give them a taste tonight and report back.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:36:29 PM by MarkChand »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #136 on: December 31, 2011, 02:04:25 PM »
I've never heard of the Maker's Mark deal either. Just went and signed up also. That will give me a great excuse to go visit in a few years.

Just made it back from my Christmas trip back home to Alabama so I've been away from my boubon stash for a few days, my grandam doesn't approve of teh drinkin'. I tried several new bourbons before I headed back to home for the holidays.

Buffalo Trace- Very nice drink for the price. Similar taste to Eagle Rare(I think they are from the same distillery)

Old Weller Antique Bourbon- This gets a big ole meh. Nothing special at all, this is destined to meet a nice coke product... It's only real benefit is the 107 proof

Elijah Craig- Mighty fine sippin' bourbon. Can't believe I haven't had this before

I just stopped by the store for something new today, picked up Clyde May's Conecuh Ridge Whiskey. I had to try it because the bottle said it was Alabama style whiskey made from Clyde's secret recipe. Also picked up a bottle of Ezra Brook's 12 Year Single Barrel. I'll give them a taste tonight and report back.

Grandmomma don't allow no drinking round here.

Eagle Rare is a part of the Trace Small Batch.  I love some Elijah Craig.  I broke into the Basil Haydens last night.  Paying for it today. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2012, 03:35:10 PM »

We took some family up for the tour of JD in Lynchburg.  The tour guide could not have been any better if he was pulled out of central casting.  Around 65, overalls, flannel shirt, straw hat, 6'5" and 300lbs.  Talked out of the corner of his mouth with the thickest drawl these south Alabama born ears have ever heard.  Imagine a human version of Foghorn Leghorn.  Told us that on the last Friday of every month all the employees get a pint of JD to take home.

"We cawwwlllll that Friday, 'Goood Friday'......to be follerred hard upon by 'Baaad Saturday'"

The only person I have ever seen who fit in better for his job was the lead singer for a blues band at Fat Matt's Rib Shack in Atlanta.  Looked like BB King's and Howlin' Wolf's love child and his first song was "My Baby's Love is Better Than Collard Greens".
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:37:03 PM by AU_Tiger_2000 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2012, 10:23:02 AM »
If any of you get the chance you need to try Moose Drool.  It is an brown ale that is from Big Sky brewery in Montana.  It is one of the best beers I have ever drank.  Kansas is the only place I have seen it though. 

From their website,

That first taste, the best part of a beer after a long day. We want to make that better than ever. So we made Moose Drool. The name sounds a little iffy, but it's really the best Brown Ale you'll ever taste. That's why Moose Drool is far and away the best-selling beer brewed in Montana.

It's chocolate brown in color with a creamy texture. A malty beer with just enough hop presence to keep it from being too sweet. The aroma mostly comes from the malt with a hint of spice added by the hops. Moose Drool is brewed with pale, caramel, chocolate, and whole black malts; and Kent Goldings, Liberty, and WILLAMETTE HOPS. It has an original gravity of 13 degrees Plato, and is 4.2% alcohol by weight, 5.3% by volume.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:46:04 AM by ssgaufan »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2012, 01:19:07 PM »
Oh and while I'm thinking about it, Snaggle this is the only time I should see wild turkey with a splash of coke.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."