Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Frazier is This Season's Future

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: Frazier is This Season's Future
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2011, 11:46:43 PM »
I honeslty don't think Trotter has done a bad job at all. Actually, he has done pretty well. I do have to agree though, burning an entire redshirt for a couple Wildcat plays with Frazier seems a bit foolish to me. If his redshirt is gone now, lets see more if him you know.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2011, 05:55:13 AM »
I honeslty don't think Trotter has done a bad job at all. Actually, he has done pretty well. I do have to agree though, burning an entire redshirt for a couple Wildcat plays with Frazier seems a bit foolish to me. If his redshirt is gone now, lets see more if him you know.
Frothro has a short history with knees since his senior year at Briarwood. It's really worked out as I thought it would with Moseley as number two and Kiehl getting more snaps. The October schedule alone was reason enough to burn a RS. And it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Moseley some late in the year like we did Nix.

We need to protect better, but mostly our receivers need to angle back toward the sideline for the ball and not drop the screens. Trotter takes care of the offense well enough if the others do their part. He's only had a couple of glaring miscues and his stat line is comparable to Brantleys at UF. And we knew he wasn't Wilson or Murray coming in.

I wouldn't have bet .50 on that guy at Oklahoma after seeing his innaugural season and he might have reached his pinnacle but he has a heap of help surrounding him too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2011, 10:23:35 AM »
I honeslty don't think Trotter has done a bad job at all. Actually, he has done pretty well.

Fuck me.  We agree.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2011, 12:04:06 PM »
Fuck me.  We agree.

Admit it Wes. You and simp put on a show for our entertainment pleasure ala Finebaum.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2011, 03:15:44 PM »
Like JR said, I think Malzahn's offense is different from (and more complex than) the high school offense that Frazier previously operated in.  Yes, Malzahn utilizes the spread, and yes, Frazier performed well in the spread during high school, but Malzahn's version of the spread utilizes aspects of the wishbone formation.  It's considered to open up more running lanes than the traditional spread, which is used to open up passing lanes.

That's not to say that Frazier wouldn't succeed in an altered spread offense with various complexities that Malzahn has added for the collegiate level, but why is Frazier just now showing signs of progress worthy of being reported?  People bitch about Trotter, and suddenly the coaches think that Frazier's progressing well?  No one noticed any signs of potential or progress in this kid until now?  It all seems a little contrived to me, as if the coaches (and now the fans) are looking for the next double threat superstar.

A. "The Spread" is not an offensive system.  It's a method of spreading the defense out to run an offensive system. 

B.  Malzahn's offense is pretty much the Wing T run from the Shotgun, not the Wishbone.  He started his coaching career with a whistle and a copy of "The Delaware Wing T, An Order of Football by "Tubby" Raymond in his hand. 

All I'm pointing out is that Frazier's HS experience may aid him every so slightly in understanding what Malzahn does, because he played for a HS coach that learned from Malzahn, but there's still probably lots of differences in the play calling system, how they reads, etc.   Not to mention the speed of the game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2011, 05:09:56 PM »
Admit it Wes. You and simp put on a show for our entertainment pleasure ala Finebaum.

Shut you pie hole GH. This is nothing like Finebaum.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2011, 06:04:10 PM »
A. "The Spread" is not an offensive system.  It's a method of spreading the defense out to run an offensive system. 

B.  Malzahn's offense is pretty much the Wing T run from the Shotgun, not the Wishbone.  He started his coaching career with a whistle and a copy of "The Delaware Wing T, An Order of Football by "Tubby" Raymond in his hand. 

All I'm pointing out is that Frazier's HS experience may aid him every so slightly in understanding what Malzahn does, because he played for a HS coach that learned from Malzahn, but there's still probably lots of differences in the play calling system, how they reads, etc.   Not to mention the speed of the game.
If you want to be technical, if it is a method used to do something a specific way, then it can be described as a system...no?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

jmar

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2011, 07:52:10 PM »

All I care is that the players allow Gus to blend all of the elements together because no one has figured out a way to stop the no huddle and so much can be added beyond the base plays. The triple option, pro-set and virtually any scheme can be implemented from the NH.   
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:23:34 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2011, 08:29:32 PM »
Fuck me.  We agree.

The bi-product of having a phenom at QB like Cam. Everyone knew there would be a dropoff, just wasn't prepared for it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2011, 08:46:40 PM »
If you want to be technical, if it is a method used to do something a specific way, then it can be described as a system...no?

Not sure what you're asking.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2011, 09:20:20 PM »

Jim likes teh semantics of foosball formations.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2011, 09:38:14 PM »
Not sure what you're asking.
System
1. A set of connected things or parts forming a complex whole, in particular.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2011, 10:03:53 PM »
System

Is that anything like a process?  Cuz Lord Sabinz got that bitch locked down, a'ight?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2011, 10:07:52 PM »
System

If you think lining up in the various shotgun spread formations and running any of a multitude of offensive concepts means that everybody that lines up in shotgun spread formations is running the same system, then have at.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2011, 09:05:42 AM »
If you think lining up in the various shotgun spread formations and running any of a multitude of offensive concepts means that everybody that lines up in shotgun spread formations is running the same system, then have at.

We need a "bait, meet fish" emoticon. Like a hook or something.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2011, 09:21:11 AM »

I don't recall where I called it a "system?"  Regardless, they (meaning the public at large) refer to it as the spread offense.  In its very basic form, it utilizes three or more receivers.  The basic purpose of it is to create passing lanes.  Seems like a form of offense to me, hence why it's called the "spread offense."

It has strong elements of the wishbone, which is what allows the running game to be a significant part of Malzahn's spread offense.

Don't agree with me?  Take it up with Dye...

http://www.annistonstar.com/view/full_story/3619956/article-Spread-the-love--Malzahn-s-system-has-produced-big-so-far

If we're talking Malzahn experience, doesn't Trotter have more of it?  Or, at the very least, knowledge of Malzahn's more recent variations and schemes?  I understand Trotter's not blowing people out of the water or anything, but is it really time to hand over the reins to a freshman QB because he has wheels and shows some signs of improvement?

Me thinks not.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

GH2001

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2011, 09:27:39 AM »
I don't recall where I called it a "system?"  Regardless, they (meaning the public at large) refer to it as the spread offense.  In its very basic form, it utilizes three or more receivers.  The basic purpose of it is to create passing lanes.  Seems like a form of offense to me, hence why it's called the "spread offense."

It has strong elements of the wishbone, which is what allows the running game to be a significant part of Malzahn's spread offense.

http://www.annistonstar.com/view/full_story/3619956/article-Spread-the-love--Malzahn-s-system-has-produced-big-so-far

If we're talking Malzahn experience, doesn't Trotter have more of it?  Or, at the very least, knowledge of Malzahn's more recent variations and schemes?  I understand Trotter's not blowing people out of the water or anything, but is it really time to hand over the reins to a freshman QB because he has wheels and shows some signs of improvement?

Me thinks not.

I've always thought of the spread in general as just a wishbone with shotgun that went a little further vertically with an extra WR. I remember watching Auburn run it in the 80's with Bo and Little Train. It was a thing of beauty. Even watching GT or Navy run the triple option now is fun to watch. When it fails though, it's ugly. As good as GT looks now running it, I think they would hit a brick wall with OU, Bama or LSU's front 7.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2011, 09:41:32 AM »
I've always thought of the spread in general as just a wishbone with shotgun that went a little further vertically with an extra WR. I remember watching Auburn run it in the 80's with Bo and Little Train. It was a thing of beauty. Even watching GT or Navy run the triple option now is fun to watch. When it fails though, it's ugly. As good as GT looks now running it, I think they would hit a brick wall with OU, Bama or LSU's front 7.

Your post reminded me of watching CSS last night.  The 91' Georgia/GT game from Grant Field.  Muschamp was on D for Jawja and Garrison Hearst was a beast running the ball.  I love how during those replays, they have all this trivia flashing on the bottom of the screen.  They said Jawja had 8 wins that year and beat Arkansas in the Independence Bowl.  Love those old replays.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2011, 12:07:55 PM »

Me thinks not.

Whatever.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2011, 12:10:38 PM »