Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Guess who is no longer ranked?

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Guess who is no longer ranked?
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 03:27:44 PM »
It's the second week of the season.  Who cares?

You see, it's the principal. There's principalities in the whole thing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 03:29:54 PM »
We rulez!
We are teh Number #1!@#@!#

Lawyerz rule!@#@!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 03:30:17 PM »
Yeah, and that unranked team is still unranked, while TCU is still ranked. Do you really fail to see the absurdity in that? Again, one team has won every game they've played, and the other has lost every game. AND THAT ONE GAME SAMPLE IS A HEAD-TO-HEAD BATTLE WITH EACHOTHER. On no planet should TCU be ranked and not Baylor. And not any team that actually won this weekend.
Baylor is now ranked ahead of TCU. What are you talking about?

Last season shouldn't amount to shit. But it does. Hence why Oregon and TCU are still ranked. Hence why Alabama is #3 in the nation for beating up on Kent State while giving up 5 turnovers. And you're wrong on what I would be bitching and moaning about. And you're wrong that that would ever happen. I've seen time and time again an overrated Notre Dame or Michigan team struggle in their opener, and I've heard the talking heads gush over what perseverance they had to come back and secure the win, and that team ends up holding strong to their top 5 ranking. Granted it's generally bullshit, but it only applies to those favorite son teams. Always has, always will. Like Snaggle said, I'm not saying we should just be able to perch up at the top of the rankings after a win like that. But shit, we do have the longest winning streak in FBS. That should get us to crack the Top 25.
Alabama did it in leisurely fashion and won by like 5 TDs while holding QB tryouts. Oh, and holding Kent St to under 100 yards on the day as well. We beat the dogshit out of our cupcake. Alabama still dropped one spot in the rankings, and rightfully so; LSU kicked the snot out of Oregon, and honestly, deserves to be #1 IMO.

The thing is, I'm not sitting here arguing that we're world-beaters. I feel that it is more likely than not that MSU beats our asses next week. THEN we should be unranked. Until we lose on the field, it makes zero sense to keep teams who lost their only game ahead of a team that has won 16 in a row.
AU won 16 in a row with a totally different team. Why give this AU team the benefit of the doubt of last year's performance when damn near nobody from that team is still there? And that showed greatly on Saturday. The whole "respect from last year" argument holds no water. Are you telling me you would rather AU be respected for something in the past rather than something happening now? Where have I heard bitching about that sort of thing before......?

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 03:31:51 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 03:33:52 PM »
Are you telling me you would rather AU be respected for something in the past rather than something happening now? Where have I heard bitching about that sort of thing before......?

I think what he's saying is that he would like some consistency.  That's it.  Nothing more. Nothing less.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

RWS

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 03:35:57 PM »

I think what he's saying is that he would like some consistency.  That's it.  Nothing more. Nothing less.
It has always been hit and miss. I don't see that changing anytime soon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 03:37:13 PM »
It has always been hit and miss. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I don't either, but he can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one gets filled up first.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 03:38:13 PM »
I stand corrected on Baylor in the AP poll. However, TCU is still unranked in the USA Today Coaches Poll, while Baylor is not. We at least held on to #22 in that poll.

Everything else you said is one great big fail.

You're basically bitching up a storm at the notion that Auburn should be given slightly more benefit of the doubt for winning it all last season, and still continuing that winning streak this year, and yet fail to see that virtually every team ranked ahead of us, especially Alabama, is ranked where they are for exactly that.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 03:39:15 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 03:38:39 PM »

:thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 03:40:48 PM »
:thumsup:
Consistency and polls can not be mentioned in the same sentence.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

RWS

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 04:18:21 PM »
I stand corrected on Baylor in the AP poll. However, TCU is still unranked in the USA Today Coaches Poll, while Baylor is not. We at least held on to #22 in that poll.

Everything else you said is one great big fail.

You're basically bitching up a storm at the notion that Auburn should be given slightly more benefit of the doubt for winning it all last season, and still continuing that winning streak this year, and yet fail to see that virtually every team ranked ahead of us, especially Alabama, is ranked where they are for exactly that.
Let me put it to you this way: If Alabama were ranked 23rd and put in that type of performance against an inferior opponent, you wouldn't hear a peep out of me if they dropped out of the polls. I would highly support that. Considering the amount of players that AU lost from last season to this season, you can't really argue with the pollsters' projection in the pre-season rankings. Because that's all the pre-season rankings are; projections. Your point would be better taken if we were debating the pre-season ranking. You could argue all day long because it would still need to be seen what this AU squad can do. And to some degree, the jury is still out on that. The pre-season rankings are a mix of who a team had, who left, incoming personnel, etc etc.

In AU's case, you can't just take last year's results, minus those who made that team (almost literally), then project this year's team as a top 10. There isn't anything to go on. AU lost a fuckton of guys, more than your average team in the top 25 probably lost. In Alabama's case, the defense stayed mainly intact. The offense has never been Alabama's bread and butter. But, for the most part, the OL stayed intact, Ingram is gone (which most of you argued last year that he wasn't even Alabama's best back), Julio is gone (that does hurt), and McElroy is gone (ehhhhhhhh). I think Julio is probably the biggest loss out of that group. I'm not so sure that any team replacing a QB should be ranked #2 pre-season, but then again, Alabama has never really relied on exceptional QB play either. That's basing things off of a pre-season standpoint.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2011, 04:22:51 PM »
Let me put it to you this way: If Alabama were ranked 23rd and put in that type of performance against an inferior opponent, you wouldn't hear a peep out of me if they dropped out of the polls. I would highly support that. Considering the amount of players that AU lost from last season to this season, you can't really argue with the pollsters' projection in the pre-season rankings. Because that's all the pre-season rankings are; projections. Your point would be better taken if we were debating the pre-season ranking. You could argue all day long because it would still need to be seen what this AU squad can do. And to some degree, the jury is still out on that. The pre-season rankings are a mix of who a team had, who left, incoming personnel, etc etc.

In AU's case, you can't just take last year's results, minus those who made that team (almost literally), then project this year's team as a top 10. There isn't anything to go on. AU lost a fuckton of guys, more than your average team in the top 25 probably lost. In Alabama's case, the defense stayed mainly intact. The offense has never been Alabama's bread and butter. But, for the most part, the OL stayed intact, Ingram is gone (which most of you argued last year that he wasn't even Alabama's best back), Julio is gone (that does hurt), and McElroy is gone (ehhhhhhhh). I think Julio is probably the biggest loss out of that group. I'm not so sure that any team replacing a QB should be ranked #2 pre-season, but then again, Alabama has never really relied on exceptional QB play either. That's basing things off of a pre-season standpoint.

That is the only part he is talking about. You see, if it happened to Alabama, it probably wouldn't have happened.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2011, 04:28:16 PM »
I know it sounds like whining to those outside the AU family, but I do think that respect needs to be factored in to a degree.  I'm well aware how many guys we lost and no, I don't think this is a very good team overall right now.  But, if you haven't lost in 16 straight games and you have the same coaching staff that's guided you to those 16 straight, if I'm a pollster, I've got to say...until somebody beats them....

I also think that will most likely happen this weekend.  But until it happens....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

RWS

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 04:28:40 PM »
That is the only part he is talking about. You see, if it happened to Alabama, it probably wouldn't have happened.
So, with it known that they dropped Alabama one spot after beating the piss out of a team, we're going with they wouldn't drop Alabama out of the top 25 from the 23rd spot if that same shitty team was within 3 minutes of beating them? Without pulling out my crystal ball, I wouldn't know. Neither do you. We could debate it all day, but nobody knows.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2011, 04:30:40 PM »
So, with it known that they dropped Alabama one spot after beating the piss out of a team, we're going with they wouldn't drop Alabama out of the top 25 from the 23rd spot if that same shitty team was within 3 minutes of beating them? Without pulling out my crystal ball, I wouldn't know. Neither do you. We could debate it all day, but nobody knows.
Samoans know.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 04:32:47 PM »

I don't think that's apples to apples.  I don't think for a second that Bama was "punished" by dropping.  I think it's far more likely LSU impressed the hell out of people with a win on the big stage over a top 5 team. 

For the record, I don't see Lee taking this team anywhere near where some are predicting.  Rough ass schedule and it's a shit ton easier to run on Oregon than it will be MSU, Bama, WVU etc.  He better step up that game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

RWS

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2011, 04:40:37 PM »
I don't think that's apples to apples.  I don't think for a second that Bama was "punished" by dropping.  I think it's far more likely LSU impressed the hell out of people with a win on the big stage over a top 5 team. 
Exactly. Further proving the point. Why shouldn't AU drop to make room for a Baylor team that beat #14 TCU? Or South Florida that beat #16 Notre Dame (why the fuck they were ranked 16th, I have no idea). Or any other team that was knocking on the door of the top 25 that beat the piss out of their opponent? AU got caught towards the bottom of the top 25 with a few teams close impressing, and AU playing like shit. If you guys beat MSU next week, you will be right back in. If AU loses, then moot point.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 04:43:32 PM »
Samoans know.

Don't fuck with teh Tongans. This is no laughing matter to Prowler.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2011, 04:49:32 PM »
First of all, if they had just come off of a NC, they unequivocally would not be hanging into the top 25 by a thumbnail anyway. Period. Take last year, for example. To most experts, there was pretty much no way they didn't repeat. Then they lose 3 games and still have enough love to end the season in the Top 10. They have basically the same problem we do, but worse, IMO. Losing Cam & Fairley < losing McElroy, Julio, Ingram, & Dareus. Not saying our remaining players > your remaining players. I'm just saying, you're given the benefit of the doubt and we're not. Plain & simple.

Now. Let's say they did start the season ranked #23, despite coming off of a National Championship and holding the longest current winning streak in D1 football. A shaky win like your 20-6 W over Tulane in '08 or your 30-24 W over Houstin in '07, would not have dropped you completely out of the polls leaving two teams with a loss ahead of you. It simply would not happen. I've seen the media make excuses for Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc. in the past 10 years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2011, 04:53:25 PM »
First of all, if they had just come off of a NC, they unequivocally would not be hanging into the top 25 by a thumbnail anyway. Period. Take last year, for example. To most experts, there was pretty much no way they didn't repeat. Then they lose 3 games and still have enough love to end the season in the Top 10. They have basically the same problem we do, but worse, IMO. Losing Cam & Fairley < losing McElroy, Julio, Ingram, & Dareus. Not saying our remaining players > your remaining players. I'm just saying, you're given the benefit of the doubt and we're not. Plain & simple.
Holy. Shit. We will pick this conversation back up when you figure out how to read a roster.

Now. Let's say they did start the season ranked #23, despite coming off of a National Championship and holding the longest current winning streak in D1 football. A shaky win like your 20-6 W over Tulane in '08 or your 30-24 W over Houstin in '07, would not have dropped you completely out of the polls leaving two teams with a loss ahead of you. It simply would not happen. I've seen the media make excuses for Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc. in the past 10 years.
Wow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2011, 05:04:02 PM »
Holy. Shit. We will pick this conversation back up when you figure out how to read a roster.
Wow.
Derp.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions