Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Huck Finn - To Teach or Not To Teach

Huck Finn - To Teach or Not To Teach
« on: August 10, 2011, 10:54:41 PM »
I'm not concerned with asserting my right to teach what I want, nor am I wanting to cause trouble. 

But I inquired today about the possibility of teaching Huck Finn by Mark Twain, and I honestly thought the book police were going to show up and take me away.

Needless to say, it did not go over very well for very unnecessary reasons.  But I digress.  We all have our own personal philosophies and opinions, and sometimes we get passionate about it.  No big deal. 

I am curious though what you think - Is Huck Finn inappropriate for high school English classes? 

The "n" word is used often.  It's not like To Kill a Mockingbird where only those with poor character use it.  It's commonplace language in the book. 

I feel as if it could be taught in a way that suppresses the casualness of the usage.  We could learn a lot about racism, civil rights, and history. 

Anyways, what do you think?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Token

Re: Huck Finn - To Teach or Not To Teach
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 11:17:15 PM »
I'm not concerned with asserting my right to teach what I want, nor am I wanting to cause trouble. 

But I inquired today about the possibility of teaching Huck Finn by Mark Twain, and I honestly thought the book police were going to show up and take me away.

Needless to say, it did not go over very well for very unnecessary reasons.  But I digress.  We all have our own personal philosophies and opinions, and sometimes we get passionate about it.  No big deal. 

I am curious though what you think - Is Huck Finn inappropriate for high school English classes? 

The "n" word is used often.  It's not like To Kill a Mockingbird where only those with poor character use it.  It's commonplace language in the book. 

I feel as if it could be taught in a way that suppresses the casualness of the usage.  We could learn a lot about racism, civil rights, and history. 

Anyways, what do you think?

Easy fix.  Before you pass out the books, replace "er" with "a" on all the "n" words. 

Seriously though, the response you received shows how far we've come regarding racism.  It's ALWAYS going to be an issue, because we don't have the balls to deal with it.  Our way to tackle the problem is to never ever talk about race again, ever. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 12:12:56 AM »
I read it in senior high English.  Until I took the class, it was one of my favorite books.  After dissecting every fucking word, I have yet to pick it up again.

I don't even remember the n-word being discussed or not discussed.  Our school was small and not divided on racial lines, but rather on social and economic lines (athlete versus non, haves versus have nots). 

You can't un-ring the bell.  Ignoring the past won't make it go away.  Lots of "classic" books out there reflect the prejudices of their times - but they are not vilified because of one word that was commonplace and accepted at the time the book was written. 

You don't have to make the word "black" the focus of the entire lesson either - lots of other issues to delve into - physical abuse, poverty, rivers as the source of all commerce, river towns the source of vice and corruption, superstition guiding actions (the spider in the candle), the hypocrisy of self-righteous do-goodies that try and force religion and "morals" down another person's throat while they themselves owned slaves, the lack of equal justice for all - justice only for those white and wealthy - neither Huck nor Jim would have received a fair trial if they had been caught stealing... it was not all about race, but as much about the class system as anything.

We've come a long way, baby.  Teach it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 06:14:02 AM »
Easy fix.  Before you pass out the books, replace "er" with "a" on all the "n" words. 

Seriously though, the response you received shows how far we've come regarding racism.  It's ALWAYS going to be an issue, because we don't have the balls to deal with it.  Our way to tackle the problem is to never ever talk about race again, ever.

My thoughts exactly. 

Too many people are afraid to even mention that it happened. 

And too many people are afraid to deal with the people who don't want you to mention that it happened. 

That was the biggest fear.  "You'll have kids walk out of your room because of how offended they'll be."  So the problem isn't the word or the book.  It's the fact that we'll have to face parents and discipline kids.  That's the real problem they don't want to deal with. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 06:22:29 AM »
I read it in senior high English.  Until I took the class, it was one of my favorite books.  After dissecting every fucking word, I have yet to pick it up again.

I don't even remember the n-word being discussed or not discussed.  Our school was small and not divided on racial lines, but rather on social and economic lines (athlete versus non, haves versus have nots). 

You can't un-ring the bell.  Ignoring the past won't make it go away.  Lots of "classic" books out there reflect the prejudices of their times - but they are not vilified because of one word that was commonplace and accepted at the time the book was written. 

You don't have to make the word "black" the focus of the entire lesson either - lots of other issues to delve into - physical abuse, poverty, rivers as the source of all commerce, river towns the source of vice and corruption, superstition guiding actions (the spider in the candle), the hypocrisy of self-righteous do-goodies that try and force religion and "morals" down another person's throat while they themselves owned slaves, the lack of equal justice for all - justice only for those white and wealthy - neither Huck nor Jim would have received a fair trial if they had been caught stealing... it was not all about race, but as much about the class system as anything.

We've come a long way, baby.  Teach it.

There's a difference between mentioning a word and using a word.  In fact, if one is offended at the mentioning of a word, it is their problem.  A mentioning is subjectively offensive and most often, it's a reflection of how one responds to their emotions. 

I wonder what other words and events we can't mention.  Reminds me of this:

Mark Twain is one of the greatest American authors.  I wish I could teach it, but the headache isn't worth it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 07:13:05 AM »
That's nothing.  You should hear the shit storm that comes about when someone reads the tales of uncle Reamus in class.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 08:53:14 AM »
I don't think we read Huck Finn in high school, we did read Tom Sawyer though.  I also remember reading Pudd'nhead Wilson for our Mark Twain selection as a senior.  If you have your heart set on some Twain you might suggest that book.  It deals with the same issues as Finn, but is not as notorious and might be an easier sell.

I remember we read Huck Finn in my 2nd Lit class at Auburn. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 09:03:07 AM »
You don't have to make the word "black" the focus of the entire lesson either . . .

Or...you can.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 09:18:06 AM »
My boy is starting 5th grade today at a private Christian school.  Huck Finn was part of his required summer reading.  I sat down a couple of times and read a few chapters with him because I forgot how entertaining Mark Twain's works are.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 09:42:32 AM »
My boy is starting 5th grade today at a private Christian school.  Huck Finn was part of his required summer reading.  I sat down a couple of times and read a few chapters with him because I forgot how entertaining Mark Twain's works are.

You can't fucking read.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 09:50:07 AM »
You can't fucking read.

It's got pictures
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 09:58:35 AM »
My thoughts exactly. 

Too many people are afraid to even mention that it happened. 

And too many people are afraid to deal with the people who don't want you to mention that it happened. 

That was the biggest fear.  "You'll have kids walk out of your room because of how offended they'll be."  So the problem isn't the word or the book.  It's the fact that we'll have to face parents and discipline kids.  That's the real problem they don't want to deal with.

No one will walk out. Why? Cause nigga's don't read...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 10:00:03 AM »
Race issues aside, let me get this out of the way:

Mark Fucking Twain is an overrated hack. 

There.  I feel much better.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 10:11:09 AM »
Isn't this public school?  If you can keep the girls off the pole and the boys off the pipe, don't you get a bonus?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 10:19:09 AM »

Come on man,  I thought "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" was pretty good.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 10:38:58 AM »
Come on man,  I thought "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" was pretty good.

It's the best of his sorry catalog.

Give Innocents Abroad a shot.  His most commercially successful effort.  Fucking horrid.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 11:51:32 AM »
It's the best of his sorry catalog.

Give Innocents Abroad a shot.  His most commercially successful effort.  Fucking horrid.

Come on....How many guys do you know who've ever run off into the sunset with a hulking black guy..it's a tale as old as time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 03:03:53 PM »

He isn't the best author in the world, but I would consider his contribution to Americana lore at least enough to list him as decent.  I bet you like Carl Sagan.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 03:16:58 PM »
He isn't the best author in the world, but I would consider his contribution to Americana lore at least enough to list him as decent.  I bet you like Carl Sagan.

He's more of a Nicolas Sparks kind of guy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 10:32:48 PM »
He's more of a Nicolas Sparks kind of guy.

I thought he was more of a Stephenie Meyer type of guy.  All that pretty glitter when they go out in the sun...it's right up his alley.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin