Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Ncaa violations for Alabama?????

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: Ncaa violations for Alabama?????
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2011, 06:38:26 PM »
The only way this doesn't turn ugly is if the NCAA says fuck it, and doesn't investigate.  Because if they get in, even just a little, they are going to find a lot of shit.  I mean, this guy apparently believes he's the Godfather.  Who really believes that this pompous asshole isn't handing out extra benefits?  Not me.  Not you.  And probably not the NCAA. 

I'm hoping they just say to hell with it.  Otherwise.....   :facepalm:

I don't know but, maybe just maybe, I am sensing a bit of ....... oh, I don't know ........ sarcasm.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2011, 06:51:45 PM »
I don't know but, maybe just maybe, I am sensing a bit of ....... oh, I don't know ........ sarcasm.
I may be giving him too much credit, but I don't think so.

Meanwhile, Finebaum has squashed everyone that tried to bring this up.

Is still bashing Cam today.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2011, 06:58:08 PM »
I may be giving him too much credit, but I don't think so.

Meanwhile, Finebaum has squashed everyone that tried to bring this up.

Is still bashing Cam today.

You can never trust a man with a turban on.

Meanwhile, Fbomb likes stinky sphincter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2011, 07:11:04 PM »

This shit may happen. Handing someone $200,000 and being able to hide it after everyone and their mom is looking for it, not so much...

You OBVIOUSLY didn't hear what Reverend Sheridan had to say about the matter.

They have found the $200k.  They found the hiding spot.  They found it all. 

All they need is the bagman who was between Cecil and the wealthy booster associated with Auburn to come forward and admit it. 

But if he doesn't, the entire case will be dropped.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Token

« Reply #144 on: July 25, 2011, 07:57:39 PM »
No sarcasm.  When Saban as hired, I was fine with all the backlash he received and the numerous comments made that he would leave in 3 or 4 years.  It didn't bother me.  I am fine with his assholish attitude to an extent (sometimes coach speak is enough, no need to mention Pearl Harbor).  I was ok with all of that because Alabama does have a booster problem, and it's been apparent for a long, long time.  But I knew that it would take someone like Saban being a total dick to put a stop to a lot of the bullshit.  My grandfather has had the hookup since the late 70's.  Not a major player by any means, but gave enough money to have some privileges.  A lot of the information and accessibility has been shut off to a lot of people (some bad people) since Saban took the reigns.  Allegedly, it was the only way he'd take the job.  UA NEEDED someone like him to help clean a lot of the bullshit up.  If this turns out to be as bad as it appears, I'm going to be super pissed. 

I refuse to believe a coach as detailed and controlling as Saban is could let something like this go on without having knowledge of it.  I know that Saban does a lot of shit that he shouldn't, bump rules, etc etc, but I don't believe he is guilty of the major stuff like paying players or giving kitchens.  I believe he's too arrogant of person to do things the easy way.  I believe he's too arrogant to give into the games of kids who haven't proven shit out of high school.  But if this shit winds up bad, like the way it's looking?  I'm going to have doubts.  Because he is too controlling to not know this was going on.  Which means he knew about it, and didn't stop it.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #145 on: July 25, 2011, 08:22:49 PM »
I expect nothing will come of this and it will barely be mentioned as Alabama plays on CBS nearly every weekend.

If it were Auburn, they'd devote ESPNU to the "Countdown to the Hammer"; it is just the way it is.

I take solace in the hope that Auburn will beat Alabama in November.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

« Reply #146 on: July 25, 2011, 09:50:35 PM »
If it were Auburn, they'd devote ESPNU to the "Countdown to the Hammer"; it is just the way it is.

Was that last Friday or this Friday, I forget.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2011, 10:04:19 PM »
No sarcasm.  When Saban as hired, I was fine with all the backlash he received and the numerous comments made that he would leave in 3 or 4 years.  It didn't bother me.  I am fine with his assholish attitude to an extent (sometimes coach speak is enough, no need to mention Pearl Harbor).  I was ok with all of that because Alabama does have a booster problem, and it's been apparent for a long, long time.  But I knew that it would take someone like Saban being a total dick to put a stop to a lot of the bullshit.  My grandfather has had the hookup since the late 70's.  Not a major player by any means, but gave enough money to have some privileges.  A lot of the information and accessibility has been shut off to a lot of people (some bad people) since Saban took the reigns.  Allegedly, it was the only way he'd take the job.  UA NEEDED someone like him to help clean a lot of the bullshit up.  If this turns out to be as bad as it appears, I'm going to be super pissed. 

I refuse to believe a coach as detailed and controlling as Saban is could let something like this go on without having knowledge of it.  I know that Saban does a lot of shit that he shouldn't, bump rules, etc etc, but I don't believe he is guilty of the major stuff like paying players or giving kitchens.  I believe he's too arrogant of person to do things the easy way.  I believe he's too arrogant to give into the games of kids who haven't proven shit out of high school.  But if this shit winds up bad, like the way it's looking?  I'm going to have doubts.  Because he is too controlling to not know this was going on.  Which means he knew about it, and didn't stop it.

I don't think Saban knew T-Rich was going out to dinner with Mr. Al.  That's probably why the cease and desist letter was sent in the first place. 

The real question is what other damage has "I've Dressed Alabama Football Players Since 1995" done, and will the NCAA find it?  Will they even look?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2011, 11:40:37 PM »
Finebaum said in the first hour of the show today that he expected nothing to come of the Newton issue as it relates to AU and losing anything.  He then said in hour 4 that the tapes are not to be dismissed and hinted at the mother load dropping on AU... He's so full of shit he can't even keep up with his own spin anymore.

He also took extra care to defend Saban, while not necessarily defending Alabama....  The dreaded Vote of Confidence.  DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNN.......
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #149 on: July 26, 2011, 01:30:28 AM »
I don't think Saban knew T-Rich was going out to dinner with Mr. Al.  That's probably why the cease and desist letter was sent in the first place. 

The real question is what other damage has "I've Dressed Alabama Football Players Since 1995" done, and will the NCAA find it?  Will they even look?
They have to look. No way does this skate by without them looking into it to some extent. If Alabama has done somethin wrong, so be it. Nothing that has been posted here, in itself, is a violation. However, at the very least, it does suggest an underlying issue that has its merits as to why it should be looked at. Fair is fair. If Alabama is in some way responsible for something, then we as fans will just have to take our medicine. Unless there is some major shit turned up that went down, I really don't see it resulting in vacation of anything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2011, 02:29:16 AM »
This is the REC Onion.  Tom Al-Betar is just one of MANY peddles.  Tom "takes care" of Prothro, Julio and Trent...Darren Woodruff helped Tom with Julio and he "takes care" of Brent Calloway...Collin Wells "takes care" of AJ McTattoo, Brandon Gibson & Earl Alexander....Jimmy Johns was being "taken care" of by a Doctor from Tuscaloosa that posted his bail.

This Rabbit Hole will go as deep as you want it to go.  We're talking suits, shoes, women, cars, vacations, travel, clothing besides suits, jewelry, ETC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2011, 02:49:23 AM »
Is the NCAA going to dig that far....better yet, do they want to dig that far?  No. They don't have the time nor the manpower.  But they will uncover a few things.  Things that will be violations, Secondary or Major....IDK.  Here's a picture that hasn't gotten any conversation.....

That's Julio on a booster's computer.  NCAA Violation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #152 on: July 26, 2011, 09:22:57 AM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/07/why_did_so_many_alabama_footba.html

Why did so many Alabama football players sign so much stuff for one men's store owner?
Published: Tuesday, July 26, 2011, 5:30 AM
By Kevin Scarbinsky, Birmingham News

T-Town Menswear owner Tom Albetar (left) mugs with Alabama running back Trent Richardson. (Facebook.com photo)

TUSCALOOSA, Alabama - It was a slow Monday morning in the University Mall. There were almost as many walkers doing laps as shoppers.

Fellow al.com reporter Izzy Gould and I weren't there to shop. We wanted to meet the man who's rapidly becoming one of the most talked-about Alabama football fans in the state.

We found Tom Albetar outside T-Town Menswear, the high-end clothing store he owns.

I introduced myself, shook his hand and before I could ask a question, Albetar said, "I can't talk to you."

I introduced Gould and explained that, with so many people discussing Albetar's relationship with current and former Alabama football players, we wanted to give him a chance to tell his side of the story.

"No comment," Albetar said, and he walked away into the Belk store at that end of the mall.

That was the end of the conversation, if you can call it that, but this story seems a long way from a conclusion.

Albetar owns an extraordinary collection of signed memorabilia from Alabama football players and coaches. His store resembles a branch of the Bryant Museum.

Albetar also has an extensive collection of photos of himself with Alabama players and coaches - taken from his store's Facebook page and his own MySpace page - and some of those photos show Alabama players signing Alabama memorabilia.

In a TV ad for the store available on YouTube, former Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy says of Albetar, while standing next to him, "He's the best. He's the best Alabama fan. He's the best fashion store in town. That's why I love him."

There's nothing wrong with being a well-connected fan, but with Ohio State headed toward NCAA probation because, in part, some of its football players traded signed memorabilia for tattoos, questions have to be asked.

Why did so many Alabama players, from Tyrone Prothro to Terrence Cody, sign so much stuff, from jerseys to helmets to gloves to photos, for Albetar?

Did they receive anything in return while they were still playing college football?

Did they sign the gear for him knowing that he would display it in the store as a form of promotion to attract customers or that he might sell it?

There are potential NCAA violations in those answers, which explains why Alabama compliance director Mike Ward sent T-Town Menswear a cease-and-desist letter dated Dec. 22, 2010.

The school informed al.com of the letter Friday and provided us a copy of it Sunday. It appears to be a form letter because the salutation says, "To Whom It May Concern" and the letter itself doesn't include the name of the owner, the business or any specific Alabama player.

The letter accuses Albetar of "selling or distributing, for commercial purposes," signed memorabilia from current players. The letter tells him that his actions could jeopardize the eligibility of those players and asks him to stop.

On that point, there's an interesting sticker on the glass storefront. It reads, "Bama Memorabilia. DISPLAY ONLY. NOT FOR SALE."

An Alabama source said Friday that the school did not believe the eligibility of any current player was in jeopardy and that the school did not forward information about the situation to the SEC or NCAA. That seems an awfully confident stance given the current enforcement climate.

Georgia Tech turned a relatively minor eligibility issue into a major infractions case - and lost its 2009 ACC title - because the NCAA said the school didn't fully cooperate. Despite major violations, LSU avoided major sanctions because the NCAA praised the proactive nature of the school's own investigation.

Wouldn't it be prudent of Alabama to turn over its self-report to the SEC and the NCAA just to be on the safe side?

On Monday, a scan of T-Town Menswear's display window and a trip through the store found only one item from a current player. High on a wall inside the store, there was a large signed and framed No. 3 Trent Richardson jersey with the 2010 BCS Championship Game patch on the left sleeve.

The wall also features similar signed and framed jerseys, with the same BCS patch, from former players Julio Jones and Mark Ingram.

There are separate photos on the Internet of Albetar with Richardson, Jones and Ingram.

There's one photo in the store window of Albetar and Jones posing with a frame that includes a drawing of Jones and a pair of Nike gloves with a Jones signature on each.

There's another photo in the store window of Albetar and Ingram posing with a frame that includes a drawing of Ingram and a pair of gloves with no visible autograph but with Ingram's No. 22 written on one wristband and the 2010 BCS Championship Game logo on the other.

Both frames containing the Jones and Ingram items also are in the store window.

All the gear in the store and all the photos on the Internet depicting a close relationship between Albetar and Alabama players are at least suggestive, if not suspicious, but they're not conclusive. It may be up to the NCAA at some point to decide what it all means.

On Monday, the T-Town Menswear Facebook page, the source of many of the photos of Albetar and the players, no longer existed. A Twitter message from @ttownmenswear said, "T-Town Menswear is in the process of setting up a new web site, blog and more! Stay tuned for more info!"

Good advice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2011, 09:25:53 AM »
Washington Post Chimes In:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/alabama-told-store-to-stop-selling-some-items/2011/07/25/gIQAGXbLZI_story.html

Alabama told store to stop selling some items

By Associated Press, Published: July 25

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — The University of Alabama told a local store to stop selling items signed by current athletes, which is a potential violation of NCAA rules.

University compliance director Mike Ward sent a letter to T-Town Menswear on Dec. 22, 2010, instructing him to “immediately cease and desist” selling, distributing or promoting items signed by or depicting current athletes.

The letter warned that otherwise it could “jeopardize the student-athlete’s eligibility.” The NCAA prohibits using the likeness or name of a current college athlete to promote a product or service.

The letter, obtained by The Associated Press Monday, was initially reported on outkickthecoverage.com, which also ran a picture of running back Trent Richardson in a store signing the back of a shirt bearing his name and number.

The university declined comment Monday. Store owner Tom Albetar did not return a message from AP.

The letter surfaced as Ohio State is set to appear before the NCAA Committee on Infractions for violations stemming from players receiving cash and tattoos for autographs, championship rings and equipment.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #154 on: July 26, 2011, 09:26:49 AM »
Albetar said, "I can't talk to you."

Why "can't" he speak with them? 

I understand "no comment."  "I don't want to do an interview" would suffice.

I'm probably just being nitpicky but "can't" is a strong word.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 09:27:31 AM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2011, 09:42:23 AM »
Albetar said, "I can't talk to you."

Why "can't" he speak with them? 

I understand "no comment."  "I don't want to do an interview" would suffice.

I'm probably just being nitpicky but "can't" is a strong word.

Apparently, Finebaum can't either. Not that it will matter because he'll never let the question be asked of him, but why would he sit on a story like this and refuse to discuss it yesterday?  I know the answer to the question but as our local sports talk guy said this morning.....I broke this story in this area yesterday and Paul Finebaum wouldn't even discuss it...and it's front page news on USA Today. 

Again, he'll never be accountable for it but isn't it very telling when a story line like this is quickly going national and "The leading sports authority" refuses to talk about it?  I'll bet he'll have a spin on it today.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #156 on: July 26, 2011, 09:45:09 AM »
Apparently, Finebaum can't either. Not that it will matter because he'll never let the question be asked of him, but why would he sit on a story like this and refuse to discuss it yesterday?  I know the answer to the question but as our local sports talk guy said this morning.....I broke this story in this area yesterday and Paul Finebaum wouldn't even discuss it...and it's front page news on USA Today. 

Again, he'll never be accountable for it but isn't it very telling when a story line like this is quickly going national and "The leading sports authority" refuses to talk about it?  I'll bet he'll have a spin on it today.

I think the most he discussed it was when he said, "I"m not sure I can even understand Clay Travis's article.  What was he talking about?" 

Also he said it wasn't even a blip on the radar on the OD. 

It may not be.  It may be nothing. 

But that's never stopped Finebaum from at least allowing his callers to discuss the possibilities of what could maybe probably doubtably happen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2011, 09:53:08 AM »
I think the most he discussed it was when he said, "I"m not sure I can even understand Clay Travis's article.  What was he talking about?" 

Also he said it wasn't even a blip on the radar on the OD. 

It may not be.  It may be nothing. 

But that's never stopped Finebaum from at least allowing his callers to discuss the possibilities of what could maybe probably doubtably happen.

This.  Whatever does or doesn't happen with this and Alabama....I personally don't give a rat's ass.  I just want to see if we get an O-line that comes together and if Gabe Wright is the monster I think he is.  But with regard to jack off's like Finebaum, I'd love to see him called out on his hip-pok-rassee. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2011, 11:02:02 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2011, 11:05:23 AM »
Clay Strikes Again

He is quickly turning into their Brooks Melchior...I fucking love it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.