Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Best CFB coaching jobs

Best CFB coaching jobs
« on: June 03, 2011, 04:55:19 PM »
Staples ranks best CFB jobs.

1. Texas

Auburn came in #9 and #5 in SEC.

Edit: Add link...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/06/03/best-college-football-jobs/index.html

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Aubie16

Re: Best CFB coaching jobs
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 07:11:33 AM »
My Top 10:

1. Texas
2. Florida
3. USC
4. Ohio State
5. LSU
6. Oklahoma
7. Alabama
8. Georgia
9. Auburn
10. Florida State
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 07:12:31 AM by Aubie16 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

JR4AU

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 09:04:09 AM »
Bammers are typing out their death threat emails now.  Shame on Staples for not making them #1 and listing them in essentially a tie with Auburn. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 06:09:03 AM »
Bammers are typing out their death threat emails now.  Shame on Staples for not making them #1 and listing them in essentially a tie with Auburn.
That's a damn good list Aubie16.
JR it is amazing to me how Auburn can size-up next to programs like those above along with Notre Dame, Penn State, Michigan and Nebraska with all of their advantages.
But I suppose we will all know the answer to this mystery when the hammer finally drops.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 11:36:53 AM »

JR it is amazing to me how Auburn can size-up next to programs like those above along with Notre Dame, Penn State, Michigan and Nebraska with all of their advantages.

It's not to me, not one bit. 

We Auburn folks are so inundated with tales of numerous championships pulled right out of some history revisionist's ass in the early 80s that it's hard for even real Auburn folks to know the truth. 

We are constantly told that the Alabama program today, and of the past 30 years is still defined by a 25 year span of Alabama football that ended 30 years ago. 

Despite the fact that 30 years is a bigger percentage of time than 25 years of the 120 years each program has been in existence, according to bammers and their local media 1958-1982 is still more important in defining the programs than the most recent 30 year span in which Auburn leads Alabama in every single category but one....NCs.  In that, they lead 2-1, which is hardly dominance considering the whole picture.  And even from 1958-1982, when Alabama dominated college football, Auburn still maintained a top 15 football program, which isn't bad considering the circumstances.   

The only advantage the likes of PSU, Nebraska, Mich, Okla., etc have, is that none of them have an instate program that is truly a toe to toe competitor, or a local media that is aligned with that competitor.  Each gets the pick of the litter of instate recruits.  And they don't compete in the SEC.  The closest situation to ours is Tx and TA&M, but A&M has been down for for about a decade now, and still they are only a top 25 program lifetime, not top 15.  I would guess based on what I know too, that A&M's status as "little brother" is far more real than ours is based on number of alum and supporters in the state of Tx.  TW or our other Tx members may have a different view on that.   

No, doesn't surprise me at all.  The perceptions of the programs are greatly skewed by how the local media tells the stories.  The numbers tell a completely different story.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 11:45:06 AM »
Which is why this quote from the article irked me.

Auburn falls below the dead-heat SEC quartet above for one reason. Because the Tigers historically are the Red Sox to Alabama's Yankees, the Crimson Tide have the initial edge in most in-state recruiting fights.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 11:57:13 AM »

One major difference in the Yankees and bammer.  Love 'em or hate 'em, the Yankees didn't have to pull half their championships out of their ass to fabricate their "history". 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 12:16:07 PM »
It's not to me, not one bit. 

We Auburn folks are so inundated with tales of numerous championships pulled right out of some history revisionist's ass in the early 80s that it's hard for even real Auburn folks to know the truth. 

We are constantly told that the Alabama program today, and of the past 30 years is still defined by a 25 year span of Alabama football that ended 30 years ago. 

Despite the fact that 30 years is a bigger percentage of time than 25 years of the 120 years each program has been in existence, according to bammers and their local media 1958-1982 is still more important in defining the programs than the most recent 30 year span in which Auburn leads Alabama in every single category but one....NCs.  In that, they lead 2-1, which is hardly dominance considering the whole picture.  And even from 1958-1982, when Alabama dominated college football, Auburn still maintained a top 15 football program, which isn't bad considering the circumstances.   

The only advantage the likes of PSU, Nebraska, Mich, Okla., etc have, is that none of them have an instate program that is truly a toe to toe competitor, or a local media that is aligned with that competitor.  Each gets the pick of the litter of instate recruits.  And they don't compete in the SEC.  The closest situation to ours is Tx and TA&M, but A&M has been down for for about a decade now, and still they are only a top 25 program lifetime, not top 15.  I would guess based on what I know too, that A&M's status as "little brother" is far more real than ours is based on number of alum and supporters in the state of Tx.  TW or our other Tx members may have a different view on that.   

No, doesn't surprise me at all.  The perceptions of the programs are greatly skewed by how the local media tells the stories.  The numbers tell a completely different story.
I didn't state that clearly but agree and was speaking strictly by size, locale and competition. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 03:08:53 PM »

Yeah, it irks me too. We all know Tubbs pussy footed around with in-state cruiten but I dare this assclown to compare the cruiten results since Chizik has been here. It tells a different story and will tell a different story this year as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 03:16:54 PM »
Maybe the accuracy is in terms of relative payroll the Yankees exceed the Sox, and how the Yankees would unabashedly throw $200k at an over-rated DL 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »
I was talking to a producer of the show 20/20 the other day about a case I have.  During the conversation she noted my proximity to Tuscaloosa, and asked had I seen it since the storm.  I told he no, that I didn't live there, and tried to avoid Tuscaloosa at all costs as I hated it.  She laughed.  Realizing she might take it wrong, and be all PC...I said, It's an Alabama/Auburn thing, I don't really hate Tuscaloosa (I was lying), and noted I had many friends there, and couple that lost everything in the tornado...that I had donated to recovery efforts, and just tried to stay out of the way..  She stopped me and said it was ok, she understood, knew a little about the rivalry, and said it was like a Yankees/Red Sox deal...New Yorkers hate Boston, and vice versa. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 09:33:15 AM »
Florida is the #1 job in the country IMHO. Its gets the nod over Texas for location. Texas a close 2nd though. Hate to admit it, but Bama is and will always be a top 5-7 job due to their fan support/obsession. UGA?? I just don't understand the appeal with a school that has underachieved with all it has at its disposal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 10:20:10 AM »
Florida is the #1 job in the country IMHO. Its gets the nod over Texas for location. Texas a close 2nd though. Hate to admit it, but Bama is and will always be a top 5-7 job due to their fan support/obsession. UGA?? I just don't understand the appeal with a school that has underachieved with all it has at its disposal.

For pure potential, UGA is as good a job as UF, but as you said, has underachieved.  Then again, UF was an also ran until 1990.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 10:24:56 AM »
For pure potential, UGA is as good a job as UF, but as you said, has underachieved.  Then again, UF was an also ran until 1990.

And has still done more in its history on a national level than UGA. And has had to compete with FSU, Miami, LSU, Bama and Auburn for recruits. UGA has the entire state (a very talent rich state at that) to itself. And even with a once in a decade kind of player like AJ Green, they still produce 6-7 getting plastered by Central Florida...That job is not desirable to me. I'm all for the SEC but would oh-so-love the mutts to get waxed by Boise.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 10:40:20 AM »
And has still done more in its history on a national level than UGA. And has had to compete with FSU, Miami, LSU, Bama and Auburn for recruits. UGA has the entire state (a very talent rich state at that) to itself. And even with a once in a decade kind of player like AJ Green, they still produce 6-7 getting plastered by Central Florida...That job is not desirable to me. I'm all for the SEC but would oh-so-love the mutts to get waxed by Boise.

UGA is the great conundrum in college football to me.  Can't explain why they aren't now, and never have been on the level UF currently is.   With the State of GA, and bordering FL, they should have 50 NCs at UGA.

Even with the competition in FL, there's still more than enough to go around. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 10:51:27 AM »
I'm all for the SEC but would oh-so-love the mutts to get waxed by Boise.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 10:57:43 AM »

I take it you've never lived in GA and been around that bunch.

I'm right on the state line. I have to deal with more of them than any other fanbase. They are like Bama except that they don't win as much and have this weird inferiority complex.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Aubie16

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 11:01:10 AM »
Gotta agree with GH2001 here. I've lived in Georgia for my entire life with the exception of the 6 years I spent in Auburn. (4 for school, 2 working).

I hope Boise plasters them between the hedges. Especially after all the whining UGA did this season about Auburn.

They aren't anywhere near bammer in terms of my hate, but they are a clear #2.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

GH2001

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 11:03:50 AM »
Gotta agree with GH2001 here. I've lived in Georgia for my entire life with the exception of the 6 years I spent in Auburn. (4 for school, 2 working).

I hope Boise plasters them between the hedges. Especially after all the whining UGA did this season about Auburn.

They aren't anywhere near bammer in terms of my hate, but they are a clear #2.

Seriously though, UGA just got plastered by Central Florida in their bowl. I doubt losing to Boise will hurt the SEC's reputuation anymore via UGA.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 11:33:40 AM »
I know I'm different than a lot of people in that I don't really give a rip about the SEC's "reputation".  This conference always has been and always will be one of, if not the best conference in the nation.  It's cyclical and right now, the SEC is king of the castle.  Has been for years.  But when it comes to teams on our schedule....I hope they suck.  I hope Boise ass rapes the dawgs.  Probably won't happen but I want UGA to be 4-8.  I want Joe Pa and his bunch to kick the Tahd in the nuttz for 4 quarters.  I hope WVU skull fux Les Miles and his bunch. 

I'll usually pull for SEC teams in their bowl games because I think that's where a lot of the reputation comes in.  As for the regular season and the teams we play.  Screw em'.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."