Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2011 Spring Football

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: 2011 Spring Football
« Reply #180 on: April 04, 2011, 01:28:13 PM »
To his credit he appears much larger in person.

I think Saban is looking for a new media relations rep, are you interested?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #181 on: April 05, 2011, 10:05:29 AM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/04/auburn_practice_notebook_gene_1.html
http://bcove.me/nslrt1qp
Auburn practice notebook: Gene Chizik says there's been no movement in the quarterback racePublished: Monday, April 04, 2011, 12:43 PM     Updated: Monday, April 04, 2011, 12:55 PM
By Charles Goldberg/Auburn Bureau, The Birmingham News, Press-Register, and The Huntsville Times

Auburn's Gene Chizik and his coaches broke down the film of Saturday's scrimmage over the weekend, and after further review, said there was no movement on the quarterback race between Barrett Trotter and Clint Moseley.

That was some of the take-away from after Monday's practice, the eighth of the spring, which was designed to correct mistakes from the scrimmage.

"We could have moved on to the next thing, but we weren't ready to do that," Chizik said.

In general, Chizik said, "After evaluating the scrimmage, we had a lot of improvement for our guys to see. Today, I thought be made more progress. We're moving in the right direction."

Also from the scrimmage:

"I thought we had explosive plays on offense - we're going to need those. At times, we ran the ball very effectively. But we haven't arrived because we had too much inconsistency."

The downside of an explosive offense in a scrimmage, of course, is the defense allowed big plays, Chizik said.

But Chizik said, "the pass rush at times looked good. I think we're making strides with a young defensive line."

**H-back Philip Lutzenkirchen is getting some work as a wideout, and could assume the duties of the departed Kodi Burns.

He played the position in high school before signing with Auburn as a tight end.

**Lutzenkirchen's breakdown of the quarterbacks:

"Barrett throws one of the nicest balls since I've been here."

And, "Once Clint got his confidence back, the sky is the limit for him."

**Chizik said Auburn hasn't worked on the Wildcat formation.

**Chizik also said Auburn has worked on live punting drills, but not full-scale live kickoffs.

**He said the field goal team - kicker, snapper and holder - "are working through mechanics."

"It's a work in progress."

The kicker will be Cody Parkey and Josh Harris is the snapper.

**Offensive line coach Jeff Grimes said he's not pleased "with where we are technically" with his linemen.

"But it starts at attitude and effort, and I'm pleased with that," he said.

**Grimes said A.J. Greene, who started the first three games last year before suffering a foot/ankle injury, "is still not quite back to full speed."

"I think he'll be fine when we get back to the fall, for sure," Grimes said.

**Grimes said Blake Burgess, Reese Dismukes and Jared Cooper are working at center.

**Grimes said he'd like to announce a starting five at the end of spring practice.

"But I'm not going to do it just to do it. I like competition. Competition makes everybody better," he said.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #182 on: April 05, 2011, 10:09:14 AM »
Sounds like he has a case of quarterback constipation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

« Reply #183 on: April 05, 2011, 12:04:11 PM »
Sounds like he has a case of quarterback constipation.

Sounds like constipation along the OL too. Its always nice to have constipation competition though. We have loads of talent.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #184 on: April 05, 2011, 12:09:33 PM »
The deep snapper position is set in stone.  Looking forward to the 2011 edition of our deep snapping Auburn Tigers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

« Reply #185 on: April 07, 2011, 03:11:32 PM »
Video: Chizik talks practice #9
http://bcove.me/ulwb0l6v

Video: Quick hitters from a few players
http://bcove.me/to8wgyjc
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #186 on: April 07, 2011, 03:33:54 PM »
The deep snapper position is set in stone.  Looking forward to the 2011 edition of our deep snapping Auburn Tigers.

did you check out the DS targets for 2012? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #187 on: April 07, 2011, 07:49:13 PM »
did you check out the DS targets for 2012?

Why must you tempt Snaggle in such a way?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #188 on: April 09, 2011, 01:40:18 PM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/04/fight_for_starting_spots_will.html
Fight for starting spots will continue today in Auburn's scrimmage in Jordan-Hare StadiumPublished: Saturday, April 09, 2011, 7:31 AM     Updated: Saturday, April 09, 2011, 7:38 AM
By Charles Goldberg/Auburn Bureau, The Birmingham News, Press-Register, and The Huntsville Times

AUBURN -- Certainly in the battle to be a starting receiver and in the mix to return punts, Auburn senior Quindarius Carr figures to have a busy scrimmage today in Jordan-Hare Stadium. 

But his duties won't stop when he catches the football. 

"My big aspect," says Carr, "is basically becoming a better leader and helping pull along the young guys. Everyone is saying we've got a young team and they always say all our good players are gone, but it's my responsibility to take care of the young guys right now ... show them the way." 

That will continue today in the morning scrimmage that is closed to the public and media but figures to be popular among the hundreds of high school coaches on campus for a football clinic -- and for the players competing for plenty of starting spots. 

That apparently includes the much-watched quarterback race between Clint Moseley and Barrett Trotter. In last Saturday's scrimmage, Moseley threw touchdown passes and interceptions. Trotter threw neither. 

Today's scrimmage is likely the last major practice before the April 16 A-Day game, and it will look a lot like last weekend's scrimmage. 

"We're looking for consistency, we're going to try to keep, as close as we can, groups together that we feel like is going to create some continuity on both sides of the ball," coach Gene Chizik said. 

And it's a chance for Carr and others to make an impression on a team that needs three new starting wide receivers. 

Carr brings a deep threat and now finds himself at the same spot as promising Trovon Reed. 

Carr said offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn has signed off on him running deep patterns, but "I just basically need to work on my short game and blocking. That's the biggest thing I'm working on right now." 

Carr is working at the same receiver position in which Terrell Zachery thrived the last two seasons. 

Carr is also trying to regain his job as the primary punt returner, although Chizik said earlier this spring he'll be demanding more from his returners. Auburn averaged 6.2 yards per punt return last season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #189 on: April 09, 2011, 07:21:23 PM »
http://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1209960

April 9, 2011

Rachel Morand
AuburnSports.com Staff Writer

The Auburn defense got the best of the offense in the second scrimmage of the spring Saturday morning.

"We got them in the first half," said redshirt freshman receiver Trovon Reed. "In the second half, they came out with the energy. They must have had something in their water that we didn't have. The defense -- all of the sudden, everybody on the sidelines was jumping and screaming and we were looking at each other like: Hold on; who they have over there?"

Head coach Gene Chizik wants to see more explosive plays on offense and better tackling on defense. 
With a week to go before the annual A-Day game, the team worked on several aspects of the game.

"We went out and kind of had a blitz period there and had some blitz pickup," said head coach Gene Chizik. "Had a great special teams period early on, got in about half a scrimmage, worked some special teams in the middle and then came back and finished the scrimmage up here at the end."

The first scrimmage featured explosive plays through the air and in the ground game, but today's offense vs. defense meeting was a different story.

"We probably didn't protect the ball like we needed to today," Chizik said. "But there were a lot of different reasons for that in terms of continuity and who was in there at center and quarterback and tailback and things of that nature. But overall, pleased with the day. I thought the energy was a little low at the beginning, and it picked up as practice continued to move on. So again, 10 days into it, a lot of work left."

Quarterback Clint Moseley worked with the first team today since it was his turn in the rotation with Barrett Trotter. Moseley wasn't pleased with the day's work.

"Today was obviously dominated by the defense," Moseley said. "We've got a lot of things to work on offensively, but I've got to give a lot of credit to those guys. They came out with a lot of energy. They played really well.

Todd Van Emst

Clint Moseley wasn't happy with his performance today, specifically his missed assignments. 
"It was encouraging from a team standpoint, but offensively it was one of the most discouraging days this spring for sure. Probably the most discouraging day. But it's all about learning from our mistakes and getting better. And not panicking."

Moseley said a lot of mistakes were made on his side of the ball.

"Just a lot of missed assignments from guys that shouldn't be missing assignments, including myself," Moseley said. "Just a really bad day. We lacked energy, execution, all of it. Just disappointed our coaches today."

As for the defense, coordinator Ted Roof said he saw some positives and negatives throughout today's scrimmage.

"We made some big plays, but we gave up some big plays," Roof said. "We've got to keep working til they can't make those explosive plays against us. We've just got to keep pounding a rock and become a more physical football team each and every day as far as emphasizing stopping the run and taking the ball away."

Specifically, Chizik wants to see better tackling.

"There's no question about it," Chizik said. "We're getting guys in the right spots and our angles of approach aren't great right now and we're letting some balls get back across the field on us. And our offense has done a great job with their vision and actually being able to get the ball back across the field. But our tackling, I think defensively, needs to improve over the next five days."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big day for receivers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chizik isn't known for singling out players players with praise, but he had positive things to say about junior receiver DeAngelo Benton after the scrimmage.

"DeAngelo has really made a lot of strides in my opinion," Chizik said. "He was responsible for a couple of explosive plays today, which was really good to see. We're counting on DeAngelo to help us next year. He's got to step up to the plate. He has not arrived there, at all. But I believe he's trying to take his game to a different level than he's played it since he's been here. That's a good thing to see. He's got a lot of room to grow, but I think he's made some significant strides in 10 days, in my opinion."

DeAngelo Benton is working at the "9" receiver spot with Emory Blake this spring. The position was manned by Darvin Adams last year. 
Benton, once the nation's No.3-ranked high school wide receiver and later listed as the nation's top prep school wide receiver, is often the butt of receivers coach Trooper Taylor's jokes since he is the oldest player on the team at age 23. Now that Benton is making plays on the field, Taylor is praising Benton, but he isn't leaving out the jokes.

"I told him it's about time (he makes plays)," Taylor said. "He's about three days older than water. No, DeAngelo did a great job today. He left a couple out there, but for the most part he did a nice job. He's becoming a guy we can count on. The biggest thing is he's healthy. All those things I said about him coming in, the potential is still there. I told him the worst compliment I can give you is you've got potential. That means you haven't done anything yet. It's time. It's time."

Another player coming off injury that is impressing coaches this spring is Reed. Reed, who was sidelined with a knee injury throughout the fall, is now practicing at full speed.

Reed is playing the "3" spot slot receiver role this spring.

Taylor is thrilled with Reed's many talents.

"Catching that bubble screen," Taylor said. "He ran the reverse. He can do some wildcat. He gives you a lot of options and I like that. It's kind of like you watch UCONN, they get it in the man's hands who is going to do something. We're going to try and get it in that man's hands. Every time he touches it, he makes something special happen. He broke about two or three tackles today and did some things."

Since he has so many skills, Reed will likely move around in the offense.

"I tell him he's a hide-and-go-seek guy," Taylor said. "If you play hide-and-seek and you hide in the same spot, they gonna find you pretty quick."

Quick-hitters

*** True freshman center Reese Dismukes ran with the first team today. Just five months ago Dismukes was playing high school football, but he said he is trying to get used to the fast paced Auburn offense.

As for the line overall, Dismukes believes it has a lot of work to do.

AuburnSports.com

True freshman Reese Dismukes put in work with the first team offense today.
"I feel like as an O-line, having to replace so many guys, we're a little behind, but we're going to get there," Dismukes said. "Coach (Jeff) Grimes is a great coach, one of the best. No doubt that we will get there. It's just the fact that Brandon (Mosley)'s the only one that's coming back, and A.J. (Greene) being hurt, coming back too. We've got to have chemistry as an O-line. We have it now, and we're working on calls and all that stuff. We're starting to work out and feel better and starting to groove a little more. We've just got to keep getting better."

*** The first scrimmage featured some snap issues by the center. Offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn said the centers did better this week.

"With the twos we had a center in there that hadn't played a lot, had been playing guard (Jared Cooper)," Malzahn said. "And we had a center out today, so that didn't help (Blake Burgess). But with the ones, the snaps were sufficient (Dismukes)."

*** Although today was Moseley's day to work with the ones, Malzahn said Trotter rotated in with him throughout the scrimmage.

"And Logan Paul got the twos," Malzahn said. "So we got a chance to see both quarterbacks primarily with the ones. That helps you evaluate those guys too."

*** Overall, there hasn't been any movement in the quarterback race.

"The quarterbacks are very sporadic right now, in general," Chizik said. "The consistency of the quarterback position, and being able to manage the team, is obviously two most important things they can do. When I say managing the team, I'm talking about protecting the football and keeping us out of negative plays. We've done a fair job of that. It's been a little bit up and down.
I think they're both working really hard. It's very important to both of them, and I appreciate that. But we're not as consistent as we need to be at that position."

John Wild/AuburnSports.com

Barrett Trotter and Moseley continue to be neck-and-neck in the quarterback race this spring. 
*** Although it hasn't been confirmed by coaches, junior Anthony Morgan is said to have injured his knee last week in practice. Chizik wouldn't get specific about what's bothering Morgan, but did say the injury isn't long term.

"He's banged up and beat up," Chizik said. "It could be before the end of spring practice before he's back, I don't know."

*** The defensive linemen may be young and mostly inexperienced, but Chizik is pleased with their progress this spring. Understandably, he wants to keep an eye on their health.

"The interior guys have taken on a lot of double teams and taken on 600 pounds for 10 days," Chizik said. "They're a little beat up because of our depth. We're going to have to watch that and make sure they can survive through the spring because there have been very physical practices.

"They've made some strides. It's a great learning process for them.

"I think Corey Lemonier has made some significant strides. I think Dee Ford has, too. And Craig Sanders. There are some guys at defensive end I think are coming along. Our inside guys are a little beat up right now, but they're getting some great experience that they need."

*** The Tigers' next practice will be Monday at 9 a.m. A-Day is set for Saturday, April 16 at 2 p.m. CSS will broadcast the game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #190 on: April 09, 2011, 07:49:24 PM »
Eating an lime sorbet at a cafe with outdoor seating.  Love eating outdoors.  Minding my own business. 

Bama Bubba strolls by. 

"Ya'll having ya'lls sprang game today?" Mr 13 asks. 

"No.  Next week."  Return to the sorbet, which is delicious. 

"Hmmm. Reckon why ya'll have it on the same day we do?  Seems like ya'll would wanna move it so's you might get some better attendance.  Hell, our game's gonna be on ESPN and everahthang.  Jest don't seem like a good idear to try to go up head to head on the Tide like that. 

"What kinda game ya'll gonna do anyways?  Seems like I heard ya'll only had 30-something kids out there. Can't hardly even split into squads like that.  I seen where Bama had somethin' like 35 five star kids and gonna bring in like a dozen more.  Be somethin' else to see nothin' but five stars on both sides of the ball.

"So what ya'll think about this spring? I'd love to go to it, but I reckon I'll be like most folks and either watch Bama's game on ESPN or try to get up there for it. Think ya'll will still have a scrimmage?  "

I paused from eating my magnificent lime sorbet, which I was enjoying greatly in the heat, looked Bama Jimmy Joe Jim Bob square in the eye and said: 

"I heard we had 27 - 28 players ready to go.  That ought to be enough."

He puzzled over that for a minute and toddled off. 

Fucking idiots. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

djsimp

« Reply #191 on: April 11, 2011, 05:17:52 PM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/04/auburn_notebook_cody_parkeys_l.html

Auburn notebook: Cody Parkey's long field goals; still no movement in quarterback race
Published: Monday, April 11, 2011, 12:46 PM     Updated: Monday, April 11, 2011, 3:48 PM

AUBURN -- Cody Parkey has the assignment of replacing Auburn's all-time leading scorer in Wes Byrum this fall. Maybe a long field goal in last Saturday's scrimmage is sending him on his way.

He hit a 49-yard field goal "that probably would have been good from 60," said special teams coach Jay Boulware after Monday's practice. "I'm really pleased with him."

At least on field goals. Boulware said he's not been pleased with the way Auburn is kicking off in practice.

**Boulware said new starting punter Steven Clark is averaging 38 yards per punt "with a lot of hang time."

That's important because Auburn was one of the top teams in the nation last year covering punts.

Still, Boulware said he'd like to Clark average at least 40 yards per punt.

**Boulware said he'd bring in a walk-on kicker and punter this fall, just to add more competition to practice.

"There's not spot that's a given," he said.

**The quarterback race remains the same, meaning it's pretty much tied for first between Clint Moseley and Barrett Trotter.

"I don't think there's been much separation," said Auburn coach Gene Chizik.

**Moseley gave a hard assessment of the offense's woes immediately after Saturday's scrimmage. He slightly altered his view after watching the game film.

"It might not been as bad as I thought it was, but was still bad," he said.

Moseley said the offense needs to be more consistent.

He also said he didn't think Saturday's A-Day Game will decide the winner.

"But it is something Coach Malzahn will be watching," Moseley said.

**With only three quarterbacks in camp, counting walk-on Logan Paul, Moseley said his arm is "a little tired."

"But they've done a good job of getting me to the training room, so it's not problem," he said.

**After scrimmaging Saturday, Auburn opted for a practice without full pads Monday.

"We went back and touched up what need to be addressed," Chizik said. "Today was as physical as it could be" but, Chizik said, "it was a teach mode day."

Monday was practice No. 11 of the spring.

"We have a long way to go in all three phrases of our football team," Chizik said.

**A.J. Greene, who suffered a fractured ankle and broken leg in the third game last season, is still slowed by the injury, though he says he's getting better.

"Of course it's going to be sore," he said. "Sometimes I have to take a play or two off because I just can't go."

Greene is at left tackle, backed up by Chad Slade, Donnie Riggins and Bobby Ingalls.

**We wrote about Trovon Reed today.

"Trovon has done some nice things," Chizik added Monday. "He has not arrived by stretch of the imagination."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #192 on: April 13, 2011, 07:07:58 PM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/04/auburn_notebook_ladarious_phil.html
Auburn notebook: Ladarious Phillips 'getting close' on bouncing back from injury
Published: Wednesday, April 13, 2011, 7:42 AM     Updated: Wednesday, April 13, 2011, 7:42 AM
By Charles Goldberg/Auburn Bureau, The Birmingham News, Press-Register, and The Huntsville Times This is Tuesday's newspaper notebook. We'll be back after Wednesday morning's practice session...

AUBURN -- Ladarious Phillips continues to be an intriguing football player to fans and the media alike because of his potential as a 300-pound fullback, although he hasn't played and he's practicing behind closed doors with the rest of his Auburn teammates. 

He missed his freshman season with a hurt foot. 

"For a guy that's 300 pounds, it takes about a year to get all the way back from that injury. He's getting close," said running backs coach Curtis Luper. "He just needs work to get comfortable in the offense. He'll need to have a really good summer and a good fall camp, and he'll be ready to play." 

**Luper said he likes what tailbacks Mike Dyer and Onterio McCalebb have brought to practice, even away from the field. 

"The leadership from Onterio and Mike needs to filter all the way through our team, not just the offense and defense, but all the way through," he said. "It's fun to see leaders emerge and that's what we're looking for every single day."

**Auburn didn't practice Tuesday, but will be back at work this morning. The Tigers will practice again Friday, then play the A-Day game in Jordan-Hare Stadium Saturday at 2 p.m. Tickets are $5. The game will be televised by CSS.

**Auburn doesn't have many tailbacks or quarterbacks this spring, and QB Clint Moseley said Monday his arm was "little tired" from throwing so much. Offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn takes note of such things. 

"It's the second time it's been like that all spring," Moseley said. "But Coach Malzahn has done really well with watching our arms. He doesn't throw us too much, but we have thrown a lot more than we've ever thrown, for sure. We're doing a good job getting in the training room, so it's not a problem" 

Jay Boulware: Special teams
**Special teams coach Jay Boulware used more high-profile signers and some regulars on his kick teams last season with positive results, and he's planning on doing it again. 

That's a different approach than when Boulware and head coach Gene Chizik arrived for the 2009 season. 

"There were guys that were lesser athletes that were playing it," Boulware said. "They were still playing with a bunch of enthusiasm, and a lot of people didn't realize we had a big problem in some areas until Game 5 or 6, and I think that's a tribute to the players. The guys that were playing were a lot of walk-ones and guys in their first year on the field. We fooled a lot of you guys for a while -- and then we got into the SEC and started playing those LSUs, and then the lack of talent started to show up." 

**Chizik said the field goal team, now headed by kicker Cody Parkey rather than the departed Wes Byrum, is finding its way.

"Let's not lose sight in the kicking game of all the elements that are involved in that -- snapper, holder, kicker," Chizik said. "We always felt over the last two years that that was pretty much automatic. We're going to be in a place where we're kind of starting over again, but we're getting there with the timing. Again, it's going to take more time." 

Auburn needs a new holder to replace Neil Caudle. Chizik said kicker Chandler Brooks and defensive back Ryan White are doing it in practice. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #193 on: April 13, 2011, 07:16:01 PM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/04/auburn_notebook_a-day_game_sco.html
Video of Coach Chizik: http://bcove.me/410g20uy

Auburn notebook: A-Day Game scoring different; Gene Chizik says Tigers making progress; a poster
Published: Wednesday, April 13, 2011, 12:53 PM     Updated: Wednesday, April 13, 2011, 2:50 PM

AUBURN -- The scoring for Auburn's A-Day Game promises to be...confusing?

Because of a thin roster, the Tigers will not split up in two teams for Saturday's game, but instead will award points for good offensive plays and good defensive plays. Auburn used the same scoring system two years ago at A-Day, and does so in every behind-closed-door scrimmage.

"We really don't have a choice because of the numbers we have right now," said coach Gene Chizik.

The game and scoring will begin at 2 p.m. Saturday in Jordan-Hare Stadium. You can try to score along at home, on CSS.

**Chizik said he "didn't feel completely good about the tempo and energy" of Wednesday's practice, though he said it was a good day for teaching.

Overall, he said, "I think we've made a lot of progress."

**Chizik said he won't judge A-Day any differently than any other practice.

"The spring game is going to be another scrimmage," he said. "It will be lot of base offense and base defense. It's viewed upon by us as another practice."

**Chizik said quarterbacks Barrett Trotter and Clint Moseley will receive an equal opportunity to impress.

"I know we're going to mix both guys in with boy groups," he said. "It will be evenly split."

Jawara White
**Linebacker Jawara White shed light on why he didn't play during his freshman season last year. He had fluid removed from his spinal cord.

He said he was concerned about his playing career when he learned of the problem, but said he's 100 percent now. He said he's doing everything at practice but full contact and says he'll have a role on this year's team.

He said being with defensive back Zac Etheridge, who came back from a scary neck injury last season, helped him.

"Zac helped me out a lot," White said.

**Chad Slade dropped in for the post-practice interviews. He said he's working at left tackle, though knows the guard positions as well.

**Defensive line coach Mike Pelton said he sees "vast improvement" in all his young defensive linemen - which is all his defensive linemen.

He said sophomore Nosa Eguae, his only returning starter, is a leader. "And Corey Lemonier has been stepping up his game and being vocal."

Pelton also said he's not practicing all the players who will play for him this season.  Some of them are still in high school, Signing Class of 2011, waiting for their summer arrival in Auburn.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:34:28 PM by djsimp41 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #194 on: April 13, 2011, 08:06:40 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #195 on: April 15, 2011, 08:48:53 PM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/04/auburn_notebook_quarterbacks_b.html

Auburn notebook: Quarterbacks Barrett Trotter, Clint Moseley close heading into Saturday's A-Day
Published: Friday, April 15, 2011, 12:25 PM     Updated: Friday, April 15, 2011, 12:45 PM

AUBURN --- Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn said before spring practice he'd like to have a No. 1 quarterback when workouts concluded, but that may not happen.

"I'm not sure right now," he said after Friday's practice.

Malzahn said he'd meet with coach Gene Chizik to discuss it after Saturday's A-Day Game. Auburn also has a Monday practice.

The QB contenders: Barrett Trotter and Clint Moseley.

Malzahn has played this game before. The Tigers waited more than a week after spring ball last year to say Cam Newton was the No. 1 quarterback. He did all right.

This year, said Malzahn, "it's been fairly close in my mind. There's not a whole lot of separation.

"We're still in the mode right now of giving them an equal chance."

When asked if incoming freshman QB Kiehl Frazier could join the race in August, Malzahn said, "I think all freshmen will get their shot."

**Malzahn said he has installed only about 50 percent of the playbook this spring, and said the 2 p.m. A-Day Game "will be vanilla."

"But it still will be good for the coaches to evaluate them," Malzahn said.

And more so for Trotter and Moseley.

"It's probably more important for the quarterbacks than the rest of them," Malzahn said.

**Only playing with a thin roster:

"We have ones and we have twos -- we have no threes," he said.

**Defensive coordinator Ted Roof said his side has "made a lot of strides."

"I'm not satisfied," Roof said.

He said even a plain A-Day will be beneficial.

"We'll get a good indication where we need to be," he said.

**Roof said linebacker Eltoro Freeman has had "a very good spring."

"I've been very pleased with him."

**On freshman DB Jonathan Rose arriving in January:

"It's huge because all the mistakes, the things learned this spring, he's already experienced it," Roof said.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #196 on: April 15, 2011, 08:55:35 PM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/04/video_watch_auburns_gus_malzah.html
Video: http://bcove.me/6igp5kx2
Video: Watch Auburn's Gus Malzahn take a spin around his offense heading into A-Day
Published: Friday, April 15, 2011, 2:11 PM     Updated: Friday, April 15, 2011, 2:55 PM

AUBURN -- What's up with Auburn's offense heading into Saturday's A-Day Game? We'll let offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn answer that in this video shot after Friday's practice.

He talks quarterbacks, including Kiehl Frazier, and more. We put up a quick notebook featuring Malzahn and defensive coordinator Ted Roof after the practice, too.

A-Day reminder: The Tigers will not be split up into separate teams, but rather it will be the offense against the defense using some sort of mystery scoring system.

Here are some A-Day basics you might need:

**Kickoff is 2 p.m. in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Tickets are $5.

Auburn is encouraging fans to buy tickets in advance to avoid lines on game day.

Tickets are also available at: Auburn Team Shop at Auburn Arena, Anders Bookstore, Big Blue Bookstore, J&M Bookstore, Tiger Rags and the Auburn University Bookstore.  Three Regions Bank locations in Auburn and Opelika also have A-Day tickets available for
sale. 

**More activities surrounding A-Day, according to the university, will be: The Tiger Fan Fest, featuring inflatable games, sponsor sampling, face painting, and appearances by the Auburn cheerleaders, Tiger Paws, marching band and Aubie will be located on the AU intramural fields from 10 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.   The intramural fields are located across from Jane B. Moore softball field on Biggio Drive between Samford Ave. and Lem Morrison Drive.

**Punt, Pass and Kick Contest for kids in grades 3-6 will be also be held on the intramural fields.  Registration begins at 10 a.m. and ends at 12:30 p.m.  Winners for each grade and division (boys/girls) will receive an Auburn prize pack and also be recognized on the field
during halftime of the A-Day game.

**A post-game autograph session will be held after A-Day. Fans will be limited to one item per person.

**The crystal football will be on display as well.

The BCS national championship trophy will be on display from 8 a.m.-1:30 p.m. in Auburn Arena. Fans are welcome to take photos with the trophy, but must bring their own camera.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #197 on: April 15, 2011, 09:08:56 PM »
Eating an lime sorbet at a cafe with outdoor seating.  Love eating outdoors.  Minding my own business. 

Bama Bubba strolls by. 

"Ya'll having ya'lls sprang game today?" Mr 13 asks. 

"No.  Next week."  Return to the sorbet, which is delicious. 

"Hmmm. Reckon why ya'll have it on the same day we do?  Seems like ya'll would wanna move it so's you might get some better attendance.  Hell, our game's gonna be on ESPN and everahthang.  Jest don't seem like a good idear to try to go up head to head on the Tide like that. 

"What kinda game ya'll gonna do anyways?  Seems like I heard ya'll only had 30-something kids out there. Can't hardly even split into squads like that.  I seen where Bama had somethin' like 35 five star kids and gonna bring in like a dozen more.  Be somethin' else to see nothin' but five stars on both sides of the ball.

"So what ya'll think about this spring? I'd love to go to it, but I reckon I'll be like most folks and either watch Bama's game on ESPN or try to get up there for it. Think ya'll will still have a scrimmage?  "

I paused from eating my magnificent lime sorbet, which I was enjoying greatly in the heat, looked Bama Jimmy Joe Jim Bob square in the eye and said: 

"I heard we had 27 - 28 players ready to go.  That ought to be enough."

He puzzled over that for a minute and toddled off. 

Fucking idiots.

You got a real soothin' way a talkin'...you ort to a been a preacher boy!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #198 on: April 16, 2011, 10:16:50 AM »
It never ends. 

Took my employees out to lunch.  Paying for the whole table. 

Big sweaty waitress makes two cracks about the Auburn cover on my phone. 

The third smart ass remark comes as she delivers the check. 

When she comes to get the bill I ask her if she knows why I'm handing her a credit card and she is waiting tables.  And I point to the Auburn cover on my phone. 

She got a 5% tip instead of my usual 20.  Instead of $36, she got $9.

Stupid cow. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

JR4AU

« Reply #199 on: April 16, 2011, 10:50:55 AM »
It never ends. 

Took my employees out to lunch.  Paying for the whole table. 

Big sweaty waitress makes two cracks about the Auburn cover on my phone. 

The third smart ass remark comes as she delivers the check. 

When she comes to get the bill I ask her if she knows why I'm handing her a credit card and she is waiting tables.  And I point to the Auburn cover on my phone. 

She got a 5% tip instead of my usual 20.  Instead of $36, she got $9.

Stupid cow.

Any waitress that made such cracks to me would have been reported to the management, and I'd have requested a different waitress.  Had I been forced to keep her as my waitress, she'd have gotten exactly jack fucking squat as a tip.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions