Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2011 Spring Football

JR4AU

Re: 2011 Spring Football
« Reply #200 on: April 16, 2011, 11:05:34 AM »
I had a meeting with 2 ABI agents on Thurs. morning.  One walked in my office, noticed my Auburn paraphernalia, then starteed sniffing in the air, and turned to his partner and said: "smells like Auburn in here, smells like a barn yard and cow manure".

I had to meet with them, or I'd have thrown him out. I think he got the message when I didn't even remotely acknowledge his cracks, nor respond to them, and offered my handshake to his partner walking in behind him.  He got directly to business and never made another crack after that.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #201 on: April 17, 2011, 09:17:09 AM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/04/gene_chizik_says_auburn_quarte.html
Video: http://bcove.me/nsghhk7x
Photo Gallery:  http://photos.al.com/4461/gallery/auburn_a-day_saturday_april_16_2011/index.html
Gene Chizik says Auburn quarterback race still up in the air, may go to August, after A-Day GamePublished: Saturday, April 16, 2011, 5:05 PM     Updated: Saturday, April 16, 2011, 5:30 PM
By Charles Goldberg/Auburn Bureau, The Birmingham News, Press-Register, and The Huntsville Times

AUBURN -- Coach Gene Chizik hinted the race to be Auburn's starting quarterback between Barrett Trotter and Clint Moseley may continue into August after a Saturday A-Day Game that featured one touchdown, lots of walk-ons and base offenses and defenses.

Offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn said the game was far less revealing than the Tigers' first two full spring scrimmages. That was the plan because the game was on TV, and he didn't want to tip his hand.

Trotter threw the only touchdown pass of the game as he tries to follow Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Cam Newton as Auburn's quarterback. Chizik said fans shouldn't read anything into the score or the stats because of the playbook and the personnel.

Chizik wasn't in a hurry to name a starting quarterback after last year's spring game, either. He waited 11 days to say Newton was his "No. 1 quarterback," though still didn't call him the starter.

The defense won 63-32 Saturday in a game where points were awarded for big plays. It was played in front of announced crowd of 53,390.

Chizik said Trotter and Moseley are "Very similar in nature. The thing that stands out the most after 14 practices is the inconsistency of both of them. We're trying to find somebody who can manage the game and manage the team.

"There were some open balls we had today that we missed.

"They both have a very good feel for the offense."

Trotter hit 6-of-12 passes for 120 yards, including a 19-yard TD to Philip Lutzenkirchen. Chandler Brooks kicked three first-half field goals.

But the game drifted as more and more walk-ons played.

"As you noticed today, you're going to have to get use to new names and new faces," Chizik said.

The best part? "Overall, we got out the game healthy," Chizik said.

Also: "I think we're close to being in the direction we needed to be."

The 14th practice of the spring - the Tigers will practice again Monday - was different than many others.

"There was a lot of base stuff. Today was kind of a base-offense, base-defense day," Chizik said. "It was more of a generic scrimmage.

"Overall, it was pretty good."

Starting tailback Mike Dyer only played one series, had three carries and was sent to the bench to avoid injuries. Fellow rusher Onterio McCalebb had four carries.

This is how the game was really played: Former defensive back Anthony Morgan led in rushing with 57 yards on six carries. He was followed by walk-ons Davis Hooper and Chandler Shakespeare.

Walk-on Logan Paul threw more passes than Moseley.

We'll be back with more.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #202 on: April 17, 2011, 09:20:39 AM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/04/auburn_a-day_notebook_backups.html

Auburn A-Day notebook: Backups get their chance; Philip Lutzenkirchen shows his versatilityPublished: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 8:03 AM     Updated: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 8:07 AM
By Charles Goldberg/Auburn Bureau, The Birmingham News, Press-Register, and The Huntsville Times

AUBURN -- Anthony Morgan bounced back in a nice way from a season on defense and a leg injury last week in Auburn's A-Day game Saturday. 

He led all rushers with 57 yards on only 6 carries. 

"We moved him there with the intent that he could help our football team, and he is going to have to," said coach Gene Chizik. "He got beat up some there at spring practice, as a lot of the guys did, but today I thought he did some nice things. He can help us at that spot if he gets into the film room and studies the game and the offense. He is struggling a little bit with that right now, but he is talented." 

Starting tailbacks Mike Dyer and Onterio McCalebb barely played. Dyer played the first series, gaining 15 yards on 3 carries. McCalebb had 15 yards on four carries. 

**Philip Lutzenkirchen, whose role grew in the second half of last season, continued to be a go-to receiver Saturday. He led the receiving corps with 4 catches for 65 yards and scored the game's only touchdown on a 19-yard pass from Barrett Trotter.

Six of his 15 receptions and three of his five touchdowns last season came in the final four games. 

"Philip is one of those guys that can play a lot of different things," Chizik said. "He can play an H-back. He can play a tight end. You can move him out. You can move him in. We can put him in some different places because we know he is a great athlete." 

Lutzenkirchen caught the TD pass Saturday as a slot receiver.

"It's nice to get back out in the slot. That's what I did in high school," he said. "But I miss kind of doing the fullback stuff, so I think in the fall I'll kind of do a little bit of 50-50 of both." 

**Lutzenkirchen was named the game's offensive MVP. Chandler Brooks, who kicked field goals of 43, 41 and 48 yards, was named the special teams MVP. End Dee Ford was named the defensive MVP. 

"That's what Dee's got to give us -- he's got to give us some energy," said defensive coordinator Ted Roof. "He's done a good job of rushing the passer this spring. We're challenging him to be more of an every-down guy. He's responded. He's gotten better. He's not where we want, but he's made strides. I'm pleased with him." 

**Among our many A-Day posts Saturday was this Gene Chizik post-game video.

**A-Day didn't end Auburn's spring practice. The Tigers will wrap it up Monday. 

"It is going to be kind of a recap of the things that we need to clean up that we saw today," Chizik said. "It will be polish up of the things that they are really going to need to concentrate on in the summer." 

**DeAngelo Benton came to Auburn with a lot of hype. He only has a handful of catches in two years, but excited the crowd with a catch for 48 yards Saturday.

He dropped one, too. 

"It felt pretty good, but it didn't feel too good because I dropped the first one," Benton said. "I shouldn't have to drop one to come back and make another one." 

He didn't have to deal with receivers coach Trooper Taylor after the play, but figures he will. 

"He didn't have too much to say. Not right now. He'll probably wait until I get by myself," Benton said. 

**Punter Steven Clark averaged 47.2 yards on eight punts Saturday, including two of more than 50 and one boomer that went 68 yards. He was averaging only 38 yards in practice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MonroeTamblyn

« Reply #203 on: July 04, 2011, 02:49:28 AM »
It was a great fun in this spring football... Have you guys enjoyed it or not?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #204 on: July 04, 2011, 10:19:01 AM »
It was lovely.

Hey, Jumbo you are being paged.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #205 on: July 04, 2011, 10:38:48 AM »
Wow that's two people to sign up recently who both admit to being frank and both put their full address on their profile. 

What are the odds?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #206 on: July 04, 2011, 01:54:51 PM »
It was lovely.

Hey, Jumbo you are being paged.
I'll fist her all the way to Ventura.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

djsimp

« Reply #207 on: July 04, 2011, 02:19:59 PM »
Wow that's two people to sign up recently who both admit to being frank and both put their full address on their profile. 

What are the odds?

She just likes Frank.

I'll fist her all the way to Ventura.

Jumbo Frank? Bun Length?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions