Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Coach Grimes

Re: Coach Grimes
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2011, 03:01:03 PM »
Saw an interview a while back with John Riggins, and he was asked about the difference in the game today, and when he played 20 years ago.  He said "you didn't see anyone in my day playing without knee and thigh pads because the game was played much lower...they play standing straight up today."

True, and that as much as anything is why concussions are through the roof while knee injuries have gone down (that and the improvements in artificial turf).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

jmar

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2011, 05:37:49 PM »
True, and that as much as anything is why concussions are through the roof while knee injuries have gone down (that and the improvements in artificial turf).
I think most knee injuries in Riggins' day and before virtually ended a career if not sending it on a sharp decline .

And did we ever get any news about Fr. CB Chris Davis' injury on the opening kick Mon. nite?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2011, 11:30:38 AM »
Coach Grimes is staying with Auburn! It looks like we will keep the staff together for year 3.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2011, 11:51:14 AM »
Like Mark posted, Grimes staying with AU.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/01/offensive_line_coach_jeff_grim.html
This is huge for Auburn!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2011, 12:15:42 PM »
Fuck you in da mouf Texas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

jmar

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2011, 01:20:20 PM »
Fuck you in da mouf Texas.
I hope that burritto I wished on Mack Brown doesn't do him in bless his heart.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2011, 02:21:06 PM »
Boom!!!  Auburn staff is intacted for one more year, hells yeah.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2011, 11:18:33 PM »
Looks like Texas can't just buy anything it wants now can it? Fuck you Gayhorns and your suckass program thats a trainwreck at the moment.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2011, 11:49:12 AM »
Looks like Texas can't just buy anything it wants now can it? Fuck you Gayhorns and your suckass program thats a trainwreck at the moment.

Sometimes a train wreck is just the medicine to revive a program.  Funny...TX goes from NC to losing a season in 5 seasons.  They had one last gasp of breath last season but fell short of winning it all.  Auburn went undefeated in 2004, was in the mix in 2006 and won 11 games, and was having a losing season and changing staffs in 2008.   Very similar stories.  Can Brown get it back on track, or will they have to make a change at the top?  A complete revamping of staff would have saved Tubs at Auburn most likely, but no  way to know if that would have turned things around for him...at least Brown is smart enough not to have undying loyalty to dead wood ACs...got to give him credit for that.   The run Brown and TX have had the last few years can take it's toll.  Revamping a staff is the last straw before things either turn around, or a wholesale change is made. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2011, 12:22:23 PM »
I know of no other place like it. Mack Brown would seem to be a fairly conservative guy in a very liberal atmosphere. That might not play into what is purely football but no one seems to stay there very long.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2011, 08:26:40 AM »
Thought this was a very telling article.

AUBURN – The decision was not easy for Auburn offensive line coach Jeff Grimes. It was, in fact, the toughest professional decision of his life.

Two days after celebrating a national championship, Grimes flew to Austin to interview for a job at the University of Texas. He was offered a title to go along with coaching the offensive line and a lucrative financial package.

Most importantly, both Grimes and his wife, Sheri, are Texas natives.

“I was raised in Texas,” Grimes told AuburnUndercover.com on Monday. “My wife’s family is still in Texas. For a kid from Texas, a chance to go to the University of Texas, it’s hard to say no to. Anywhere else, I probably wouldn’t have given it a second look.

“I think the world of Mack Brown. They treated us right. They did everything they could to make it right.”

But in the end, it wasn’t right for Grimes, his wife and their four children. Auburn was right.

“I’m not going to make a move if it’s not the right situation for my family,” Grimes said. “We love everything about Auburn. It’s a great fit for Sheri and the kids. I think it’s just a great fit for all of us. It’s about the Auburn family, the values, the kinds of kids I get to coach. All those things I kept coming back to.”

By Sunday, Grimes had made up his mind. Despite the call from his home state, he would remain an Auburn Tiger.

“At the end of the day, it wasn’t strong enough to overcome how we feel about Auburn,” Grimes said. “We talk in recruiting all the time about recruiting Auburn men – good kid, right values, blue-collar, hard-working kid. The Auburn Creed is something more than just what you say. I kind of feel like that’s what I am and what we are as a family.”

Eight days ago, Grimes celebrated the highlight of his coaching career when Auburn beat Oregon 22-19 in the BCS National Championship Game. For him, it was a bittersweet night. Five senior offensive linemen – Lee Ziemba, Ryan Pugh, Mike Berry, Byron Isom and Bart Eddins – played for Auburn for the final time.

“I’m going to miss those seniors so much,” Grimes said. “After the game, I was in tears, but I’m looking forward to the challenge of starting over with some new guys, looking forward to getting these young pups going.”

The memory of the scene on the field at University of Phoenix Stadium, Grimes said, will be with him forever.

“Man, what an unbelievable experience to think about where we started this season, all the pressure when you keep winning,” Grimes said. “It was one of those storybook seasons. It was an unbelievable to stand out there after the game and bask in it all, then have your family come down. It was just a great experience.”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

djsimp

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2011, 08:38:20 AM »
Good read Sani. I especially like this part too.

“I’m going to miss those seniors so much,” Grimes said. “After the game, I was in tears, but I’m looking forward to the challenge of starting over with some new guys, looking forward to getting these young pups going.”

Got to get them young pups going.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
Thought this was a very telling article.

Can't be true.  Every coach we have that's worth a shit is looking to get the hell out of Auburn as quickly as he can.  NCAA and FBI are bearing down, Auburn is a weird place...everybody is looking to leave the minute they get to Auburn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2011, 09:17:32 AM »
Can't be true.  Every coach we have that's worth a shit is looking to get the hell out of Auburn as quickly as he can.  NCAA and FBI are bearing down, Auburn is a weird place...everybody is looking to leave the minute they get to Auburn.

I agree. Shane says its just a matter time. The FBI gives him updates daily.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2011, 09:21:52 AM »

Well, Uncle Miltie just keeps 'em coming back.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

djsimp

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2011, 09:23:20 AM »

Yeah, the Finebaum Butt Invader.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2011, 10:25:30 AM »

I think these were his updates:

http://forum.tidesports.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19665

* The 2011 season will be canceled; only conditioning drills (without pads) would be permitted until the spring of 2012.
* All home games in 2012 will be canceled. AU was allowed to play their regularly scheduled away games so that other institutions would not be financially affected.
* It is banned from bowl games and live television through 2014.
* AU loses 65 new scholarship positions over 4-5 years.
* The team will be allowed to hire no new coaches and present coaches must remain in place till the end of the punishment, no other NCAA member institution is allowed to hire them.
* No off-campus recruiting would be permitted until August 2012, and no paid visits could be made to campus by would-be recruits until the start of the 2012-13 school year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2011, 10:54:04 AM »
Daaaamnn....we are going to get hammered. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2011, 11:29:17 AM »
I think these were his updates:

http://forum.tidesports.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19665

These are the same people that assure us that, in the highly unlikely event that bammer was dickslapped again by the NCAA, SMU-type penalties will never again be meted out.  It's just too devastating to the program, apparently.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

JR4AU

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2011, 11:52:04 AM »
These are the same people that assure us that, in the highly unlikely event that bammer was dickslapped again by the NCAA, SMU-type penalties will never again be meted out.  It's just too devastating to the program, apparently.
Except the ncaa hates AU and has been waiting on the chance to ruin AU
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions