Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

NFL Draft Order (1-20)

JR4AU

Re: NFL Draft Order (1-20)
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2011, 04:09:16 PM »
Yes he did. He made a couple of damn good throws the second half. I am still not sold that Cam could not have done the exact same thing though...

Honestly, the only plus that Luck has over Cam is the system he plays in. I think there is just much more upside with Cam.

It's like I say it, then you say it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2011, 04:13:34 PM »
Yes he did. He made a couple of damn good throws the second half. I am still not sold that Cam could not have done the exact same thing though...

Honestly, the only plus that Luck has over Cam is the system he plays in. I think there is just much more upside with Cam.

One flaw in your argument is that not only has Luck played in a more desirable system, he has excelled. 

We only have "if's" and "buts" when it comes to discussing Cam's success in an NFL system. 

In the end, people believe that Luck has the measurables, ability, and experience to step in and perform as well as Sam Bradford or Matt Ryan did in their rookie seasons.  They also believe that Cam has the measurables and ability, but he'll have to spend time learning the NFL style of offense.  That's the biggest difference between the two. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2011, 04:16:04 PM »
And it's a moot point.  If Luck declares he will be the #1 overall pick.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2011, 02:47:39 PM »
Guess Luck wont be the #1 draft pick after all.

Staying in School.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2011, 02:58:32 PM »

Staying in School.

I think this may make even more doubtful that Cam stays for next season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
I'm incredibly impressed with how much Cam improved as a passer from game 1 forward.  Still, he's as much a product of Malzahn's system as Luck is of Stanford's.  Newton obviously has the intangibles that will give him a leg up on most QB's but we all know he won't be running and scrambling in the NFL with 1/4 the success he has now.  People like Karlos Dansby will hurt you. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but my feeble analysis of the difference in a "system" QB and what you have to do in the NFL would be having to survey the field.  What I see in Cam and Luck and those like them, is pretty much knowing exactly where you're going with the ball on 90+% of your throws.  You take the snap and play action or in Cam's case, take the quick step forward to fake a run and then hit the designated receiver.  Certainly, there are plenty of cases he has to pull it down or find the 2nd option but for the most part, receiver #1 is going to work...or not.

In the pros, it seems these guys have to have the ability to quickly check options 1, 2 and 3 and pull the trigger.  A lot more reading of defenses etc.  I have no idea if Cam is there yet or has the ability to do it at that level with one year of D1 experience.  Have no idea.  I know I probably simplified that too much.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2011, 03:23:51 PM »
I'm incredibly impressed with how much Cam improved as a passer from game 1 forward.  Still, he's as much a product of Malzahn's system as Luck is of Stanford's.  Newton obviously has the intangibles that will give him a leg up on most QB's but we all know he won't be running and scrambling in the NFL with 1/4 the success he has now.  People like Karlos Dansby will hurt you. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but my feeble analysis of the difference in a "system" QB and what you have to do in the NFL would be having to survey the field.  What I see in Cam and Luck and those like them, is pretty much knowing exactly where you're going with the ball on 90+% of your throws.  You take the snap and play action or in Cam's case, take the quick step forward to fake a run and then hit the designated receiver.  Certainly, there are plenty of cases he has to pull it down or find the 2nd option but for the most part, receiver #1 is going to work...or not.

In the pros, it seems these guys have to have the ability to quickly check options 1, 2 and 3 and pull the trigger.  A lot more reading of defenses etc.  I have no idea if Cam is there yet or has the ability to do it at that level with one year of D1 experience.  Have no idea.  I know I probably simplified that too much.

I believe it was Steve Young I heard say that the difference between playing in the pros and college is that in college you look check down to  the open receiver and hit him, because there will almost always be an open receiver.  In the pros there is almost never a wide open receiver, so it becomes all about judgement and accuracy on who is the best matchup and can I get the ball to where only my guy can get it. 

Basically you check down in both, but compared to college none of the receiver will look "open" in the pros.  You just have to have the snap judgement to get the ball in the window to the guy.  That's why there is so much debate over the player's mechanics.  If you are telegraphing when you are going to throw it or your motion takes too long you will be toast.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2011, 04:07:19 PM »

Staying in School.

I like the decision if Harbough is staying.

But if Harbough leaves?  Absolutely stupid.  No recognized coach is going to take over Stanford (unless he just likes the weather)

Which means Stanford's team will have a drop off next year.  Which means Luck's stats won't be as good as this year.  Which means Luck may take a few more sacks and risk getting injured.  Which means Luck may not be the #1 pick in the draft.

I don't care how much money Luck's family has nor how admirable it is to stay and get your prestigious degree.  Would he not be able to go back later and finish? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2011, 04:21:21 PM »
If you're top 3...you come out.  Why stay?  What, are you going to improve your draft stock? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2011, 09:05:39 PM »
I believe it was Steve Young I heard say that the difference between playing in the pros and college is that in college you look check down to  the open receiver and hit him, because there will almost always be an open receiver.  In the pros there is almost never a wide open receiver, so it becomes all about judgement and accuracy on who is the best matchup and can I get the ball to where only my guy can get it. 

Basically you check down in both, but compared to college none of the receiver will look "open" in the pros.  You just have to have the snap judgement to get the ball in the window to the guy.  That's why there is so much debate over the player's mechanics.  If you are telegraphing when you are going to throw it or your motion takes too long you will be toast.

I don't really feel like writing a whole ton, but I would imagine in the pro's, the schemes are a lot more advanced. In college, you may get to check cover 2, cover 3, blitz middle, blitz outside, etc. Sure they may try to hide the blitzes, but the amount of blitzes and the types aren't going to be near as easy to read.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2011, 12:16:16 AM »
I don't really feel like writing a whole ton, but I would imagine in the pro's, the schemes are a lot more advanced. In college, you may get to check cover 2, cover 3, blitz middle, blitz outside, etc. Sure they may try to hide the blitzes, but the amount of blitzes and the types aren't going to be near as easy to read.

Yep, the looks you get are much more numerous, and the disguise is much better.  Sometimes there's an athlete on the other side that can do things that make some reads impossible. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions