Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Trooper very upset with Auburn...

Trooper very upset with Auburn...
« on: December 11, 2010, 07:20:36 AM »
...Junior High.

Trooper Taylor's son at center of hairstyle lawsuit

Auburn Junior High ninth-grader Blaise Taylor, 14-year-old son of Auburn University assistant football coach Trooper Taylor, is suing the school system for the right to wear braided hair during junior varsity basketball games.

The oldest child of Trooper and Evelyn Taylor has had braids since the third grade. He has played basketball, football and baseball for different coaches at various schools and, until this year, “no coach has ever had a problem with his hair,” said Evelyn Taylor.

Three days before Blaise was to play his first JV game, Evelyn Taylor said Auburn High varsity basketball coach Frank Tolbert told her son he would not be allowed to play unless he cut his braids.

“I was in a state of shock and disbelief,” said Blaise. “I worked hard to make the team and make it through the cuts. I was really disappointed I wasn’t going to get to play with my teammates.

“I felt like I let them down. They were counting on me being there for them.”

Montgomery attorney Julian McPhillips filed suit Friday in U.S. District Court against the Auburn City Schools board of education, Tolbert, Superintendent Dr. Terry Jenkins, principal Dr. Todd Freeman and athletics director Clay McCall.

By excluding Blaise from the basketball team because of his hairstyle, the suit claims the coach and school personnel violated the First and 14th Amendments of the U.S. Constitution, which address freedom of speech and race discrimination, respectively.

“Braids are very important to me,” said Blaise. “Growing up, the people I looked up to, my role models, all had braids.”

McPhillips said the arbitrary rule to prohibit braids was simply an “old-fashioned” belief of an old coach. He said braided hair was not addressed in school policies or the school handbook.

But according to a letter from Rick Davidson, the Opelika attorney representing the Auburn school board, Tolbert has enforced a grooming policy since 1980 as a way of teaching players “the way they present themselves has a major impact on how other people perceive them and while not only competing athletically, but when attempting to gain employment and in other endeavors in the community.”

The letter also says Tolbert’s policy “applies to all players” and will be upheld throughout the current basketball season, as it has for the past 30 years.

The suit claims Tolbert, a black man, targets black players only, while allowing white players to play “even though their hair is long, blown out, unkempt and/or even gets in their own eyes, or the eyes of others.”

“I’m taking a stand not only for Blaise, but all the kids in Auburn with braids, twists, or dreads,” said Evelyn Taylor.

She said there was “no justification” for Tolbert’s rule of conformity, which has forced other players to conform or quit the team. Neither option was acceptable for her or Blaise.

â€œThat’s not how we raised our children,” Evelyn Taylor said.

“For him, it’s a matter of identity, of pride,” said McPhillips.

“My son’s hair is pulled back and is not obstructing his vision,” added Evelyn Taylor. “It has nothing to do with the game of basketball.”

Since Blaise has missed four games so far, the suit asks the court to issue a temporary restraining order, allowing him to play without cutting his hair until a hearing can be set.

On Thursday, McCall deferred questions to Jenkins, who declined to comment. Freeman could not be reached for comment.

Staff writers Joe McAdory and Ed Enoch contributed to this report.

What do you all think about this situation? 

We had a similar problem at my work.  A kid with braids from Miami transferred to my school.  He wanted to play basketball, but out coaches have the same rule about hairstyles. 

Now our rule was a bit different because it wasn't a "braids" problem, but a hair length problem. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: Trooper very upset with Auburn...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 07:34:54 AM »
I think it's a stupid coaches' "rule".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 07:48:33 AM »
The PUBLIC high school I went to had a rule that a male's hair could not touch the collar of a Tshirt.  This was not in order to play sports, but they would not allow you to come to school if your hair was that long.

I don't have much of an issue with a rule like this to play an extracirricular sport, if you don't want to conform to the team's rules, go play AAU or something.  It would be different if they just started doing this at game time or if they had not been doing it for 30 years.  It's completely different when they will not let you come to school at all and then send the truancy officer to your house.

In the 80's when everyone had long hair, I had a real problem with my school's rule, but now I run a company and enforce dress and grooming standards on my employee's, but once again if they want to facial tattoos, dreadlocks, or piercing in their face - I'm fine with that, they just cannot work for my company.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 10:50:50 AM »
Its dumb and they even admit its arbitrary. As long as it is not interfering with him or anyone playing with him (which it seems its not), then who cares. If Polamolu can sport that bush on his head that friggin whips people when he changes directions, then this kid is of no harm to anyone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Token

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 11:36:01 AM »
Just another example of parents thinking everyone and everything should change to accommodate their preferences.  You guys won't blast him because he's an Auburn coach, I understand that, but it's bullshit that one person believes rules should be changed for their kid when the rule has been in effect for years. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 11:45:04 AM »
Its dumb and they even admit its arbitrary. As long as it is not interfering with him or anyone playing with him (which it seems its not), then who cares. If Polamolu can sport that bush on his head that friggin whips people when he changes directions, then this kid is of no harm to anyone.

Is it dumb and arbitrary that I expect my students to come to class every day with a binder reserved only for English, and it must be divided into five sections? 

Because I got taken to the board two years ago because a parent thought I was being ridiculous asking them to have a binder just for my class.  She lost, but I was encouraged to not be so rigorous in my expectations for supplies for my class.  She'll win next time. 

A friend of mine was taken to the board last year because she took 5 points off of a test for students who weren't putting their names on the test.  It was a problem happening with multiple students every time she gave a test. The parent and subsequently the board said that putting a name on a test is not an assessment of the content learned, and therefore, she would have to give those 5 points back and never take points away again. 

A different issue - the board (state board) has ruled that students should not be expected to remediate outside of the classroom.  Too much of a hassle to the parents and what about those kids that don't have access to tutors?  Therefore, teachers can no longer expect students to get "extra" help from a tutor or from their teacher by showing up before or after class.  We've been told this year that we must incorporate intervention and remediation during the 50 minutes we have the students.  Research PST or BBSST plans in the state of Alabama.

As one with experience in the classroom, I can tell you one thing - this shit ain't working. 

Why do we have to constantly worry about being convenient to the parents and students?  If the coach doesn't want the kid to wear braids, then the kid shouldn't wear braids. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
Is it dumb and arbitrary that I expect my students to come to class every day with a binder reserved only for English, and it must be divided into five sections? 

Because I got taken to the board two years ago because a parent thought I was being ridiculous asking them to have a binder just for my class.  She lost, but I was encouraged to not be so rigorous in my expectations for supplies for my class.  She'll win next time. 

A friend of mine was taken to the board last year because she took 5 points off of a test for students who weren't putting their names on the test.  It was a problem happening with multiple students every time she gave a test. The parent and subsequently the board said that putting a name on a test is not an assessment of the content learned, and therefore, she would have to give those 5 points back and never take points away again. 

A different issue - the board (state board) has ruled that students should not be expected to remediate outside of the classroom.  Too much of a hassle to the parents and what about those kids that don't have access to tutors?  Therefore, teachers can no longer expect students to get "extra" help from a tutor or from their teacher by showing up before or after class.  We've been told this year that we must incorporate intervention and remediation during the 50 minutes we have the students.  Research PST or BBSST plans in the state of Alabama.

As one with experience in the classroom, I can tell you one thing - this shit ain't working. 

Why do we have to constantly worry about being convenient to the parents and students?  If the coach doesn't want the kid to wear braids, then the kid shouldn't wear braids.

:bar:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 12:49:15 PM »

I'm glad it's not just the school system I teach for that has stupid policies like the ones you mentioned above. It is unbelievably frustrating
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 03:37:26 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Chizik and company talk about making their players keep a tidy haircut shortly after their arrival? Seems like I remember that being talked about.

Work requires me to have hair no longer than a certain length, no facial hair, etc. I knew that before I was hired. As Token said, its bullshit to expect the rules to be changed just for you. If you don't like their rules, don't play.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 04:05:27 PM »
What about the part where the rules are not written down anywhere?  The kid goes through tryouts and makes the team and only THEN the coach says no braids? 

Also, braids are neat, meaning the hair is confined and does not interfere with anything or anyone else. Some white boy with longish hair and  bangs that get all sweaty and nasty  is better than a black guy with braids?

This is stupid. I get the whole five dividers in a binder thing- that is a teaching method. But the braids do not interfere with playing ball, so this coach is being a jerk.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 04:16:53 PM »
Sorry, but I have to disagree with the Taylors on this. Their son has a right to a free public eduction, but not a right to play sports. He tried out for the team and if he wants to play, then he has to go by the coach's rules. This coach is not the only high school coach in the country that has a rule about hair. A team is the coach's team and that needs to be respected.

Coach's rules like that have never been written down, so why all of a sudden must the be written on paper for them to be valid? When I played basketball, our coach did not allow long hair. The rule was not written down anywhere, but once you made the team, he let you know of the rule if you had long hair. He would even tell you it was time for a haircut if he thought it was getting too shaggy and would bench you if it was not taken care of. If you did not like it, then you can quit and then first guy cut is now on the team. Usually team rules are not even discussed until the team is set, so it is not odd for a player to not know all the rules until they have made the team.

If your hair is more important than playing, then as a coach, I don't know if I want him on the team to be quite honest with you. The kid talks about this rule letting down his team, but if you ask me, him making his hair more important is letting down the team. I would think as a coach, Trooper would understand the importance of coach's rules instead of thinking his son deserves some accommodation, so I admit I am a little disappointed in hearing this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
Cut them off and have them tied back on after the season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 05:46:56 PM »
Karma has a way of dealing with this. 

School system buckles due to the pressure of a BS lawsuit.  Coach retires because he actually has a back bone.  Teammates get pissed because their coach quits and refuses to play with the freshman.  Freshman is lucky if he doesn't get his ass kicked by other students and is ridiculed all through high school for calling mommy when he didn't get his way. 

Seriously, this exact story took place at Etowah High School when a set of parents caused the Great Raymond Farmer to retire. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 06:14:17 PM »
Karma has a way of dealing with this. 

School system buckles due to the pressure of a BS lawsuit.  Coach retires because he actually has a back bone.  Teammates get pissed because their coach quits and refuses to play with the freshman.  Freshman is lucky if he doesn't get his ass kicked by other students and is ridiculed all through high school for calling mommy when he didn't get his way. 

Seriously, this exact story took place at Etowah High School when a set of parents caused the Great Raymond Farmer to retire.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 03:04:31 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Chizik and company talk about making their players keep a tidy haircut shortly after their arrival? Seems like I remember that being talked about.
Yup, you're correct......

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

GH2001

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 09:39:43 PM »

You are comparing apples and oranges. Appearance vs something of function in the academic arena. What you require on a syllabus for a class is totally different than just personally not liking a guy's hairstyle. Very slippery slope here....Where would it stop? I dont like my players wearing white t shirts, nike shoes, jansport satchels, etc etc. While they are at it, no CK One allowed either. I dont like the smell. You can't govern your personal taste on someone else. As long as the kid's hair isnt against the personal attire rules, its of no issue.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 09:44:59 PM »
I think some of the kids that tried out for the team and didn't make it should sue the school. Then, the kids that aren't getting as much playing time as the other kids should sue the school. I mean, where does this end?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 09:54:46 PM »
Damn Allen Iverson!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 09:54:56 PM »
You are comparing apples and oranges. Appearance vs something of function in the academic arena. What you require on a syllabus for a class is totally different than just personally not liking a guy's hairstyle. Very slippery slope here....Where would it stop? I dont like my players wearing white t shirts, nike shoes, jansport satchels, etc etc. While they are at it, no CK One allowed either. I dont like the smell. You can't govern your personal taste on someone else. As long as the kid's hair isnt against the personal attire rules, its of no issue.

Our basketball coaches mandate that the players wear khakis, a dress shirt, and a tie on game days. 

If one of the players said, "No, I don't like those clothes.  I'm going to wear jeans and a white t," is the coach prohibited from issuing a punishment?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 10:02:09 PM »
Our basketball coaches mandate that the players wear khakis, a dress shirt, and a tie on game days. 

If one of the players said, "No, I don't like those clothes.  I'm going to wear jeans and a white t," is the coach prohibited from issuing a punishment?

Gameday Protocol.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE