Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Trooper very upset with Auburn...

Token

Re: Trooper very upset with Auburn...
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 10:09:44 PM »
You are comparing apples and oranges. Appearance vs something of function in the academic arena. What you require on a syllabus for a class is totally different than just personally not liking a guy's hairstyle. Very slippery slope here....Where would it stop? I dont like my players wearing white t shirts, nike shoes, jansport satchels, etc etc. While they are at it, no CK One allowed either. I dont like the smell. You can't govern your personal taste on someone else. As long as the kid's hair isnt against the personal attire rules, its of no issue.

Bullshit.  Rumor had it that Chizik wanted those helmets in a fucking row.  Was it against the rules of the University to not line their helmets up?  I doubt it.  But I guarantee you those helmets are lined up the way Chizik says and he doesn't get any lip about it.  Why? Because HE'S the head coach and those are his rules. 

Every coach I've ever played for had his "thing".  The things were always different, but they all represented the same teaching point.  You sacrifice something for the coach, or you won't play.  The guy has been coaching for 30 years.  He's had the rule in effect for all 30 years.  How many kids have sacrificed in the past to play for the guy?  My guess is hundreds, if not thousands.  And now this one kid comes through who's parents have a little money, and he has to change a staple in his 30 year coaching career?

It's fucking ridiculous. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 10:15:50 PM »
Bullshit.  Rumor had it that Chizik wanted those helmets in a fucking row.  Was it against the rules of the University to not line their helmets up?  I doubt it.  But I guarantee you those helmets are lined up the way Chizik says and he doesn't get any lip about it.  Why? Because HE'S the head coach and those are his rules. 

Every coach I've ever played for had his "thing".  The things were always different, but they all represented the same teaching point.  You sacrifice something for the coach, or you won't play.  The guy has been coaching for 30 years.  He's had the rule in effect for all 30 years.  How many kids have sacrificed in the past to play for the guy?  My guess is hundreds, if not thousands.  And now this one kid comes through who's parents have a little money, and he has to change a staple in his 30 year coaching career?

It's fucking ridiculous.

Helmets, pads, cleats, locker room - property of football team.

Hair, underwear, deodorant - property of YOU.

The stupid part is a fucking coach that is close minded enough to think he deems what kind of damn hairstyle is acceptable. Seriously? There are pre established school rules concerning a student or student athlete's attire. This is NOT one of them apparently. Its ARBITRARY.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Token

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 10:32:13 PM »

The stupid part is a fucking coach that is close minded enough to think he deems what kind of damn hairstyle is acceptable. Seriously? There are pre established school rules concerning a student or student athlete's attire. This is NOT one of them apparently. Its ARBITRARY.

On the contrary, the stupid part is one kid's parents would rather threaten a lawsuit against a board of education than let their child learn a valuable life lesson about sacrifice.  Sacrifice, after all, is the most important lesson in life. 

What are we teaching our children about the world when they never have to do anything they don't want to do?  What happens if little trooper wants to join the service when he leaves high school?  Is mommy going to sue the United States Marine Core when they take his hair down to the scalp?  Same with business.  What if he really wants a certain job, but can't get it because of his braids.  Mommy going to sue the business owner so he doesn't have to sacrifice? 

We obviously aren't going to agree here, and that's fine.  But it's a sad day when a board of education is sued because a 14 year old doesn't want to get a hair cut.  Especially when hair cut is only being mandated because of an extracurricular activity the 14 year old has opted to participate in.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:44:34 AM by Token »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 02:48:59 AM »
On the contrary, the stupid part is one kid's parents would rather threaten a lawsuit against a board of education than let their child learn a valuable life lesson about sacrifice.  Sacrifice, after all, is the most important lesson in life. 

What are we teaching our children about the world when they never have to do anything they don't want to do?  What happens if little trooper wants to join the service when he leaves high school?  Is mommy going to sue the United States Marine Core when they take his hair down to the scalp?  Same with business.  What if he really wants a certain job, but can't get it because of his braids.  Mommy going to sue the business owner so he doesn't have to sacrifice? 

We obviously aren't going to agree here, and that's fine.  But it's a sad day when a board of education is sued because a 14 year old doesn't want to get a hair cut.  Especially when hair cut is only being mandated because of an extra curricular activity the 14 year old has opted to participate in.
I agree, cut your fucking hair and play or keep the hair and sit out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 10:15:40 AM »
Actually it is not even a haircut. If he were to change it to a fro, I think he'd be OK. It is the braids that are getting attention. And if these braids can be slung around and hit someone in the eye, why is this not also addressed as a safety issue? Why does a man want braided hair anyway? And what role model black man throughout history wore braids?

I really don't care as long as there is no safety issue and the individual presents themselves in a respectful clean manner.

And HELL yes, deodorant is the business of the school. Who wants to be around Johnny Depp all day?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 10:32:59 AM »
And what role model black man throughout history wore braids?

Bob Marley.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 10:52:56 AM »
Bob Marley.
Dreadlocks and Braids are separate by definition.

I gots to agree with Token, basketball is a privilege not a right.  Disappointed with Trooper on this one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 10:53:10 AM »

The "gameday attire" is arbitrary. 

Asking the team to get together on Thursday nights for a team dinner, which helps establish team unity, is arbitrary. 

Asking the team to have personal conduct rules off the court is arbitrary.

And asking the team to have a hair style acceptable to the coach's liking is arbitrary.

You're absolutely right.  The rules can be describe as stupid, but it's the coach's prerogative.  And the players should respect the coach enough to go by his rules.  Just like Chizik telling our players to take their hats off in the athletic department.   

Token has hit on this enough - it's more ridiculous that our society is hell bent on being politically correct and catering to people's feelings. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
Are the white kids allowed to have hair down to their shoulders?

If not, then it's not racist, it's a team rule.

Also disappointed in Troop for this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 11:40:59 AM »
My point is that if the kid had the braids during tryouts, the coach should have made the point about his "unwritten rule" then, and now wait until the kid worked hard to make the team.

And the lawsuit mentions all the long messy hair of the white kids on the team - same deal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 11:43:35 AM »
What's all this fuss about grades?  And why would you want to cut someone's grades?  If a kid earns a good grade, he ought to be able to keep it.  And I didn't know Luper had a son.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 12:47:33 PM »
I agree, cut your phuking hair and play or keep the hair and sit out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 12:51:55 PM »
Jumbo is harsh on teh hairs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 01:28:14 PM »
My point is that if the kid had the braids during tryouts, the coach should have made the point about his "unwritten rule" then, and now wait until the kid worked hard to make the team.

And the lawsuit mentions all the long messy hair of the white kids on the team - same deal.

Of course the lawsuit mentions the white kids with long air.

"But, little Timmy says everyone else is talking during class!  Why is he being singled out?" 

Same ole dance and routine.  I pretty much have my script down in how to respond to these kinds of parents. 

It sucks that it's one of my favorite coaches thoguh.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 01:35:06 PM »
Jumbo is harsh on teh hairs.
I got Lonhair and a pocket full of stone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 01:38:20 PM »
Of course the lawsuit mentions the white kids with long air.

"But, little Timmy says everyone else is talking during class!  Why is he being singled out?" 

Same ole dance and routine.  I pretty much have my script down in how to respond to these kinds of parents. 

It sucks that it's one of my favorite coaches thoguh.
Ok, if the white kids are allowed to have hair down to their shoulders, and the black kids aren't...then he has a case for that being racist.

I totally get a coach having team rules, as arbitrary and meaningless as the may be, for a team unity type of deal. I was on the basketball team in high school and had to keep a clean face and haircut. I get that.

If the white kids can have Lee Zeimba hair, but the black kids have to use a 1-guard?

The Taylors have a legitimate case.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 01:39:53 PM »
Ok, if the white kids are allowed to have hair down to their shoulders, and the black kids aren't...then he has a case for that being racist.

I totally get a coach having team rules, as arbitrary and meaningless as the may be, for a team unity type of deal. I was on the basketball team in high school and had to keep a clean face and haircut. I get that.

If the white kids can have Lee Zeimba hair, but the black kids have to use a 1-guard?

The Taylors have a legitimate case.

Sorry.  My point wasn't clear.

I'm willing to bet the white kids don't have long hair.  I could easily be wrong, and if the coach has a double standard, that's a completely different issue.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 01:46:31 PM »
I've heard of dreadlocks...but shitlocks?

Agree with Chad here.  IF...there really are other kids allowed to sport the doo they want, then you can't single someone out just because you don't like braids...or fades.  Like everyone else, I played sports for coaches who had their own set of quirky rules and you followed them if you wanted to play.  I guess my biggest problem is what someone pointed out earlier, everyone should know going in what the rules are prior to trying out for the team.  The example of the military was used as well but you know full well going in that you will conform to certain standards and codes and if you don't want to be a part of that..don't join.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 01:49:07 PM »
I did what I wanted. Coached begged me to play. The kid must not be that good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 01:50:39 PM »
I did what I wanted. Coached begged me to play. The kid must not be that good.

I know someone who woulda' kicked yo ass.  You may have heard of him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions