Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Gus offered 3 million to be Vandy's Hc?

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: Gus offered 3 million to be Vandy's Hc?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 12:17:20 AM »
Malzahn ain't takin' it.  So, that leaves Franklin and Michigan State's OC.  What about Tony Franklin?  He'd fit in nicely with the Vandy Brass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 01:15:23 AM »
Malzahn ain't takin' it.  So, that leaves Franklin and Michigan State's OC.  What about Tony Franklin?  He'd fit in nicely with the Vandy Brass.
If Malzahn was in fact offered the job for that much money, he would be nuts not to take it. $3 million to coach at.....Vanderbilt. Where a 6-6 season with a bowl appearance is like any other SEC team going 10+ wins and an appearance in the SECCG? You just can't fuck that up. Chizik didn't even get that much his first year at AU, did he? Malzahn could probably get Vandy to 6 wins their first season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 01:28:51 AM »
If Malzahn was in fact offered the job for that much money, he would be nuts not to take it. $3 million to coach at.....Vanderbilt. Where a 6-6 season with a bowl appearance is like any other SEC team going 10+ wins and an appearance in the SECCG? You just can't fuck that up. Chizik didn't even get that much his first year at AU, did he? Malzahn could probably get Vandy to 6 wins their first season.
He wasn't offered 3 Million.  Also, money ain't everything.  He would get run over at Vandy....but hey, he's making around 3 Million.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:30:16 AM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

RWS

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 01:56:27 AM »
He wasn't offered 3 Million.  Also, money ain't everything.  He would get run over at Vandy....but hey, he's making around 3 Million.
I doubt he was as well, but if by some miracle he was offered near $3 million? Shiiiit.....

I know money isn't everything, but if you're looking for your first HC gig and a team that is the definition of mediocrity and is pretty happy with a 6 win season offers you that sort of money, you take it imo. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 02:22:00 AM »
I doubt he was as well, but if by some miracle he was offered near $3 million? Shiiiit.....

I know money isn't everything, but if you're looking for your first HC gig and a team that is the definition of mediocrity and is pretty happy with a 6 win season offers you that sort of money, you take it imo. 
Then, you'd have to ask yourself if you'd be happy with 4-6 wins every year with a possible 7 win season somewhere stuck in there.  1.5 Million will set you up just as nicely as 3 Million...plus, you won't have to worry about fans burning bags of shit on your front porch or throwing bricks through your windows.  That's just me though.  I think it'd be a mistake and not because I just want to keep him at Auburn. If Arkansas opens up?  Bye, Coach Malzahn, it was Awesome having you here.

I could be wrong, he could take the Coach Chizik approach, get his head caved in at Vandy...learn from all of the mistakes, then take the Arkansas job, if they'd offer.  But he'd better remember, in '06 Coach Chizik was a Red Hot commodity.  Gets beat by the sisters of the poor at a bottom dwelling BIG XII school, everyone forgets about him....except for Jay Jacobs and maybe Pat Dye.  That kinda success story doesn't always happen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 03:38:14 AM »
Then, you'd have to ask yourself if you'd be happy with 4-6 wins every year with a possible 7 win season somewhere stuck in there.  1.5 Million will set you up just as nicely as 3 Million...plus, you won't have to worry about fans burning bags of shit on your front porch or throwing bricks through your windows.  That's just me though.  I think it'd be a mistake and not because I just want to keep him at Auburn. If Arkansas opens up?  Bye, Coach Malzahn, it was Awesome having you here.

I could be wrong, he could take the Coach Chizik approach, get his head caved in at Vandy...learn from all of the mistakes, then take the Arkansas job, if they'd offer.  But he'd better remember, in '06 Coach Chizik was a Red Hot commodity.  Gets beat by the sisters of the poor at a bottom dwelling BIG XII school, everyone forgets about him....except for Jay Jacobs and maybe Pat Dye.  That kinda success story doesn't always happen.
This probably won't fly all that well here, but without Malzahn, I really don't think Chizik does that well at AU either. But then again, the HC doesn't have to be the smartest one, as long as he surrounds himself with those who are.

I was pretty skeptical about Malzahn when he was hired on, and the '09 season somewhat validated that to me. However, he has certainly proved me wrong. Now, is this a UF type situation where it's going to take a Newton/Tebow caliber QB to make this thing work? I don't know. But I do know that Malzahn knows his shit, and is probably one of the best OCs in the country.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 03:53:20 AM »
Being a Top-Tier Coordinator, doesn't always translate to being a good HC....Totally different animal.  And, to try and take on that animal in a conference full of Huge Animals is a mistake, regardless of $$$.  Like I just posted, a Gene Chizik success story doesn't always happen.  If he goes, then I wish him good luck wherever he ends up and thanks for letting me witness Auburn records being broken on, seemingly, a weekly basis.  But, I just don't see him going...just yet.

Rws, you scoffed at me a couple of years ago when I said that to be a great HC you must surround yourself with really good to great assistant coaches....have you finally come to realize that I was correct?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 06:01:36 AM »
Rws, you scoffed at me a couple of years ago when I said that to be a great HC you must surround yourself with really good to great assistant coaches....have you finally come to realize that I was correct?
I would like to see where I scoffed at that theory. I may have scoffed at the thought that Chizik had surrounded himself with the right assistants, sure. I can definitely see me questioning whether he could succeed with Malzahn and Roof, because there were alot of question marks. I've since been proven wrong on that. But to think that being a great HC has nothing to do with your assistants is stupid. That theory can be applied to most anything in life in the corporate world, coaching, etc. Even in my experience in administration of a fire department, that holds true. My success is somewhat dependant on those under me. That is actually one of my huge driving points with my guys; we all make each other successful.

I understand that you're trying to make yourself look really smart here, but you're going to fail miserably by making something up. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 06:06:20 AM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 07:16:25 AM »
I agree. 
If he did get offered 3 million for Vandy he would be foolish to not take it. 
People forget that he is not scared of a challenge and he turned more than one program in Arkansas into a winner.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 08:30:34 AM »
A couple of things:

1) $3 million is more than Chizik makes now if you don't count the incentive bonuses. He's making just over 2 now.

2) Maybe coaches are a different breed, but if you pay me $3million to be completely mediocre and have zero pressure to be anything else? Sign me up. No bricks through the window. No booster meddling. And you get a share of the bowl earnings from a conference that sends 10 other teams to a bowl pretty much every year? Pretty much everyone else carries your weight? Sign me up.

On top of that, if he does post a seven win season, he is considered a golden God of coaching. See Mullen at Mississippi State right now, but the expectations would be even lower at Vandy. He could take his pick of coaching jobs just by getting bowl eligible. If that doesn't happen? Oh well, call me Bobby Johnson, cause my ass is collecting $3mil every year for mediocrity until I'm ready to  retire, as if the cushion of that job isn't "retirement" enough.

3) While we're puffing our chests about being right, I believe it was I who was primarily scoffed at for repeating constantly that a head coach is only as good as his assistants. That all a HC is is a CEO that makes sure everyone's doing their jobs, speaks to the media, and gives the final word on whether or not to go for it on fourth down. Any actual coaching is done by assistants. Furthermore, I was ridiculed for saying that I believed Malzahn was the hands-down #1 OC in the country when we hired him. I didn't say that about every assistant coach just to  :wartim:, I only said it about Malzahn. Just wanted to point out again that I was right about pretty much everything, since we're doing that. Except the difference between 3/4 and 3/5.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 08:54:32 AM »
A couple of things:

1) $3 million is more than Chizik makes now if you don't count the incentive bonuses. He's making just over 2 now.

2) Maybe coaches are a different breed, but if you pay me $3million to be completely mediocre and have zero pressure to be anything else? Sign me up. No bricks through the window. No booster meddling. And you get a share of the bowl earnings from a conference that sends 10 other teams to a bowl pretty much every year? Pretty much everyone else carries your weight? Sign me up.

On top of that, if he does post a seven win season, he is considered a golden God of coaching. See Mullen at Mississippi State right now, but the expectations would be even lower at Vandy. He could take his pick of coaching jobs just by getting bowl eligible. If that doesn't happen? Oh well, call me Bobby Johnson, cause my ass is collecting $3mil every year for mediocrity until I'm ready to  retire, as if the cushion of that job isn't "retirement" enough.

3) While we're puffing our chests about being right, I believe it was I who was primarily scoffed at for repeating constantly that a head coach is only as good as his assistants. That all a HC is is a CEO that makes sure everyone's doing their jobs, speaks to the media, and gives the final word on whether or not to go for it on fourth down. Any actual coaching is done by assistants. Furthermore, I was ridiculed for saying that I believed Malzahn was the hands-down #1 OC in the country when we hired him. I didn't say that about every assistant coach just to  :wartim:, I only said it about Malzahn. Just wanted to point out again that I was right about pretty much everything, since we're doing that. Except the difference between 3/4 and 3/5.

In the end, who really gives a damn about math anyway?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 09:01:35 AM »
Malzahn would be a fool to go to Vandy.

Unless you factor in that over the next two years:

1.  Florida will be breaking in a new coach.  Will there be growing pains?
2.  Tennessee is still in heavy rebuilding mode.
3.  Kentucky loses their two playmakers that have contributed the most to their success.
4.  Georgia is on the way out. 

It may be the perfect time to make a decent run at Vanderbilt.  I wonder if Malzahn believes that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 09:13:42 AM »
But 7 wins a year at Vandy will get you an offer from any top tier program in the country, especially if you prove you can recruit some top 30 classes there.  And if you step into Vandy at anywhere close to $3 mill a year (which seems ludicrous to me) then what would the raise be at Georgia, Clemson, Michigan, or your other name brand school that will be looking for a new coach in the next 3 years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 09:32:28 AM »
The only job opening that I am concerned with right now is the one at Arkansas if for some reason Petrino ended up at Florida. If that were to happen, Malzahn would be gone. I personally believe that the Mullen to Florida has more legs than what the media seems to believe. A lay-up from Meyer of sorts.

Hypothetical question here; if we were to look for a new OC, who would it be? How about Cameron Norcross from Nevada?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 09:44:13 AM »

3) While we're puffing our chests about being right, I believe it was I who was primarily scoffed at for repeating constantly that a head coach is only as good as his assistants. That all a HC is is a CEO that makes sure everyone's doing their jobs, speaks to the media, and gives the final word on whether or not to go for it on fourth down. Any actual coaching is done by assistants.

During Tubervilles regime you are completely correct.  I think it depends on the corch.

I don't think there is any denying that Petrino is a hands on offensive coach and I think it goes without saying that GM will be the same way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 10:01:43 AM »
After the fallout from his stint at Arky under Nutt and Broyles, would GM really go back there?  I figured that place might have left a sour taste in his mouth.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 10:22:04 AM »
Y'all... remember.

Vandy DISBANDED their Athletic Department.  They do not even HAVE an Athletic Department now.  The HC reports to some pencil pushing academic bureaucrat in the University President's inner circle.  The HC has no more clout that the Chess Club advisor does.

After being at two REAL football schools, that would suck total ass.

NO WAY does CGM go there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 10:30:59 AM »
I do not doubt for one minute that Vandy would love to have him.

I do highly doubt they are willing to come off the scratch to the tune of 3 million.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 12:11:03 PM »
The only job opening that I am concerned with right now is the one at Arkansas if for some reason Petrino ended up at Florida. If that were to happen, Malzahn would be gone.

From what I understand and what I have read, Frank Broyles would have to die first before CGM would be coach at Arkansas.   I believe that was stated on the board. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan