Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Finally Hard Evidence is Produced

Finally Hard Evidence is Produced
« on: November 17, 2010, 06:37:21 PM »
Except it was damaged by water.  Darn. 

Bill Bell, a Mississippi State booster and former player at the school, told the NCAA he received a text message from a man claiming to represent Cam Newton's father that outlined a payment plan designed to bring the quarterback to the Bulldogs.

Bell said former teammate Kenny Rogers told him Cecil Newton wanted money for his son to play at Mississippi State.

Newton

Bell told ESPN.com he also shared a series of voice mail messages from Rogers with the NCAA last week. Bell said Cecil Newton never specifically asked him for money, but that Newton was present during three-way calls in which Rogers discussed a pay-for-play scheme.

Bell said he told the NCAA that Rogers sent him a text message outlining a payment schedule. Bell said the text included a request for $80,000 the day after Cam Newton signed with Mississippi State, $50,000 after 30 days after that and another $50,000 30 days later.

"When he asked for it, it was like 'Bam!' " Bell said. "He told me this kid's dad is going to want money and the next day he sent me a text message. He didn't say anything other than 'This is what I want and I want it in three installments.'"

Bell said he kept Rogers' text message on his old cell phone, which was damaged by water, but he is currently trying to retrieve the text message through his cell service provider.

Bell also said he has recordings of several voice messages from Rogers, which he played for NCAA investigators

"[Cecil Newton] didn't come out and say, 'I want $180,000,' " Bell said. "He inferred it and talked about it, but not directly. Kenny would talk about it in front of him, and [Cecil Newton] never corrected him or said, 'No, that's not what we're doing.' "

Bell said the initial contact to him was made by Rogers, who played football with Bell in college. But Bell, a Florida businessman, said he also had several conversations with Cecil Newton during his son's recruitment.

"He said it was going to take more than just a relationship with [Mississippi State coach] Dan Mullen and that Cam's relationship with Mullen wasn't what Mullen thought it was," Bell said. "That's when he said, 'Dan Mullen is going to have to put a smile on my face if he thinks he's going to get my son.' "

Bell said the reason he's providing details of the alleged scheme is because he wants to make sure everybody knows Mississippi State didn't break NCAA rules during its recruitment of Cam Newton, who has emerged as the Heisman Trophy front-runner in his first season at Auburn.

Rogers' attorney, Douglas Zeit, told ESPN.com on Wednesday: "As I understand it, that was the payment plan Cecil Newton was seeking."

Zeit said he did not know whether Cecil Newton participated in three-way calls with Rogers and Bell, but added, "I believe [Newton] was insistent the calls be made" seeking payment. Zeit confirmed that his client met Tuesday with NCAA enforcement representative Jackie Thurnes in person to discuss the Newton case. He said NCAA enforcement rep Marcus Wilson also participated in the interview via telephone.

Zeit said he also has been contacted by the office of Mississippi Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann seeking an interview with Rogers, but that hasn't happened yet.

No one answered the telephone at Cecil Newton's home in Atlanta on Wednesday.

Last Thursday, Rogers told ESPN 103.3 radio in Dallas that Cecil Newton told him it would take "anywhere between $100,000 and $180,000" for his son to play at Mississippi State.

Rogers said that on Nov. 28, 2009, he and Cecil Newton followed each other out of Starkville, Miss., after the Ole Miss-Mississippi State game. He said Newton asked him: "What do you think is going to happen? You think it's going to go through?"

“
He said it was going to take more than just a relationship with Dan Mullen and that Cam's relationship with Mullen wasn't what Mullen thought it was. That's when he said, 'Dan Mullen is going to have to put a smile on my face if he thinks he's going to get my son.'

”
-- Mississippi State booster Bill Bell, talking about Cecil Newton

Rogers said he was referred to Bell. Rogers said he left Bell a message telling him he was with Cecil Newton, who wanted to know if the deal was going to happen.

Auburn has contended that Newton is an "eligible student-athlete." Newton played in Auburn's 49-31 victory over Georgia last week.

NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn declined to discuss the specifics of the Newton allegations, but said in general that solicitation of benefits by a student-athlete's family is an NCAA violation. Osburn said the potential penalties for such a violation depend on multiple factors, including the "level of the benefit" being sought and the level of responsibility of the student-athlete.

Osburn said that if a university is not deemed culpable in such an instance, "then it is only a student-athlete eligibility issue." If a violation did occur and the athlete is ruled ineligible, he could appeal for reinstatement.

Osburn said the NCAA handles a high volume of eligibility cases -- "about 2,000 requests a year" -- but they are prioritized based on the next competition for the athlete in question. Since Newton is in the middle of his season, any potential reinstatement case involving him would be expedited.

Bell is the second former Mississippi State player who told ESPN.com that Newton's father, Cecil Newton, was involved in soliciting money in November 2009.

John Bond, who played quarterback at Mississippi State on the same teams with Bell and Rogers, told ESPN.com last week that Rogers also contacted him about an alleged pay-for-play scheme. Bell and Bond have both talked with NCAA investigators, and Bond met Tuesday with FBI officials.

Rogers, whose relationship with Chicago-based agent Ian Greengross is under investigation by the NFL Players Association, was interviewed for several hours by NCAA investigators in Chicago on Tuesday.

Zeit told USA Today on Wednesday that Rogers made it clear that if anybody broke NCAA rules, it was Cecil Newton.

"Nobody's pointing a finger at Mississippi State for doing anything wrong," Zeit told USA Today. "And Kenny has said, 'I had no discussion with Auburn regarding Cam Newton or anybody affiliated with him.' He said, 'I don't know if Auburn has or has not done anything wrong.' He's not pointing a finger at them."

Instead, according to Zeit, Rogers was "pointing a finger direct squarely at the father."

Bell said he called Bond, his close friend, soon after Rogers asked him for money, and Bond informed Mississippi State officials of the pay-for-play scheme. Bell said he was told to stop talking to Cecil Newton and Rogers. Bell said he never talked to Cam Newton during the quarterback's recruitment.

"I've never been involved in paying anything for a player," Bell said. "I'm not that big of a booster. I told Kenny that Coach Mullen was personally handling the recruitment of Cam Newton and no one was going to pay them any money. Kenny said, 'Well, how about $100,000?' "

Newton, a junior from College Park, Ga., has led the No. 2 Tigers to an 11-0 record going into their showdown against No. 11 Alabama in the Nov. 26 Iron Bowl in Tuscaloosa, Ala. Auburn will play South Carolina in the Dec. 4 SEC championship game in Atlanta's Georgia Dome and can probably reach the Jan. 10 BCS National Championship Game in Glendale, Ariz., by winning two more games.

Friday, Mississippi State athletic director Scott Stricklin acknowledged in a statement that the school "was approached with an offer to provide an extra benefit" and that the school refused.

Bell said Auburn's recruitment of Cam Newton was never discussed in any of his conversations with Cecil Newton and that he had no knowledge of any improprieties involving the Tigers.

Bell said he didn't even know who Cam Newton was when Rogers initially contacted him and that it was the first time he'd talked to Rogers since their playing days at Mississippi State.

"It was probably three phone calls or so before Kenny said, 'They're going to want money,' " Bell recalled. "It just seemed like he didn't know what he was doing, like it was the first time he'd ever done something like that. I really believe it was Mr. Newton asking Kenny to do it. I don't think it was Kenny's idea."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5818428
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: Finally Hard Evidence is Produced
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 06:47:31 PM »
To add to this.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/25830618/detail.html
City Sheds Light On Church Linked To Newton Controversy

ATLANTA -- Channel 2 Action News has learned key details about a church headed by Auburn University quarterback Cam Newton’s father, which figured prominently in early news reports about the recruiting controversy surrounding the football star.

Holy Zion Center of Deliverance, Inc. is not allowed to hold services currently because it has not made enough repairs to earn a certificate of occupancy, but only enough to avoid further code enforcement action, said Gina Lau Snider, a spokeswoman for the City of Newnan.

As WSBTV.com first reported Friday night, a source close to the situation told Channel 2 investigative reporter Mark Winne that Newton’s father, Cecil Newton, has made clear Cam Newton’s hands were clean, that that younger Newton had no knowledge of conversations between the dad and an ex-Mississippi State player about the possibility of under-the-table money if Newton signed to play at Mississippi State and that Cecil Newton has steadfastly maintained no money ever changed hands.

No evidence of impropriety by Mississippi State officials has surfaced.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous Stories:
•Ex-Player In Newton Saga Interviewed By FBI
•Newton's Knowledge Of Money Talk Key In NCAA Investigation
•Exclusive: Cam Newton's Dad Admits Money Talks, Says Source
•Covering Cam: Behind Mark Winne's Exclusive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The church played a significant role in early stories about the Newton matter. For instance, a report on ESPN.com began: During the height of star quarterback Cam Newton's recruitment out of junior college last year, a man who said he represented Newton allegedly was soliciting a six-figure payment to secure his signature on a national letter of intent, ESPN.com has learned.

Of the church, that report said: Cecil Newton said the family received a letter from the NCAA “about a month ago” asking for financial statements. He said he submitted bank statements and records for the church where he is pastor, Holy Zion Center of Deliverance in Newnan, Ga., along with other records.

The church has been in the news in Coweta County, Ga., often in the past year. According to stories in The Times-Herald newspaper, Cecil Newton's church was in danger of being demolished by order of the Newnan City Council in 2009 for failing to meet the city's building code. One story said Cecil Newton told the council last September the building would be brought to code “inside of six months.”

After numerous delays, extensions and compromises from the council, renovation work began last spring and The Times-Herald reported last week that the church is in compliance with Newnan's building requirements.

The story said Cecil Newton denied any wrongdoing.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 06:51:25 PM »
Fwiw...the NCAA met with Bell last week, before they met with Auburn and the Newtons.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
Fwiw...the NCAA met with Bell last week, before they met with Auburn and the Newtons.

But don't you know? 

Auburn didn't want to play Newton against UGA. Well, some of Auburn's higher ups didn't want to play Newton against UGA. 

But Lowder, Dye, and Chizik rallied together and made sure he played anyway.  Because if we're going down, hell's coming with us. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 07:00:48 PM »
Except it was damaged by water.  Darn. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5818428

That piece was actually on my clipboard to post here. 

"Hey Mr. Fed Man.  I got these texts, but my danged phone got dropped in the toilet.  Oh, and it was Cecil Newton that sent them, but I also got these phone calls from Rogers, but I know Cecil was there!  No shit guys, really, it's true.  Oh, and I saved recordings of these phone  messages too, I'll have to find them.    And Cecil never actually SAID he wanted money, but I knew what he meant by the way Kenny was leaving messages on my phone...which as soon as I find them, I'll get them right to you...here listen to how Kenny just lets you know Cecil is right there."
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 07:04:30 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 07:03:57 PM »
Jesus this is fucking laughable.  I didn't even catch this part the first read:

"It was probably three phone calls or so before Kenny said, 'They're going to want money,' " Bell recalled. "It just seemed like he didn't know what he was doing, like it was the first time he'd ever done something like that. I really believe it was Mr. Newton asking Kenny to do it. I don't think it was Kenny's idea."

Didn't Bill Bell, John Bond, and Kenny Rogers all play football together? 

"Kenny's NEVER done something like this before.  But this one time...not sure why...but for some reason, he decided to start doing this with Cam Newton.  Must have been that evil Cecil Newton doing it all.  Yeah.  That's it."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 07:09:34 PM »
Sounds like MSU is scrambling like a mother fucker to save their asses.  Bell: If I say MSU is innocent enough, maybe the mean ol NCAA and FBI will stop digging, because I'm not that big of a booster.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

JR4AU

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 07:14:58 PM »
Sounds like MSU is scrambling like a mother fucker to save their asses.  Bell: If I say MSU is innocent enough, maybe the mean ol NCAA and FBI will stop digging, because I'm not that big of a booster.

What Bond, Rogers, and Bell don't realize is that by giving certain answers they think "clear" MSU, they're implicating themselves personally in a conspiracy. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 07:15:13 PM »
What I 100% believe from everything leaked in the last 3 weeks.

1. MSU was actively trying to purchase Cam Newton's signature.
2. Cecil Newton isn't as squeaky clean as he first implied when this came to the light.

What I believe will happen in the future.

1. IF Auburn is guilty of paying Cecil for Cam, it will come out.  Too many on this story to hide the money trial.  If the money isn't found, I 100% don't believe there was any.
2. Cecil Newton claims to be a man of God.  If he has been untruthful through this, his transgressions will be brought to light.   

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 07:19:34 PM »

2. Cecil Newton isn't as squeaky clean as he first implied when this came to the light.

1. IF Auburn is guilty of paying Cecil for Cam, it will come out.  Too many on this story to hide the money trial.  If the money isn't found, I 100% don't believe there was any.
2. Cecil Newton claims to be a man of God.  If he has been untruthful through this, his transgressions will be brought to light.   

I agree, except to add that I'd like to believe that MSU or maybe Bell sent Rogers to contact Cecil, Rogers floated the idea about money, and Cecil entertained the thought for a bit.  Anybody could be tempted like that...I want to believe he was not out trying to sell Cam.  I also sort of want to believe that Bond did the right thing and blew the whistle, but I'm not confident in him. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 07:32:18 PM »
This is the EXACT same story that broke 2 weeks ago. EXACT! How is this breaking news? What has been shared today, that wasn't shared two weeks ago? That there was a text, but it got erased? haha...ok.

And another thing...I know for a 100% fact that Be;; can "try and get the text back" all he wants, and that shit isn't going to happen. Text data is erased after 3 days or so. The ONLY way anything like that is even tried to get retrieved is if there is a court order. You think that these fuckers that are trying to prove this shit wouldn't know a court order has been given?

I agree, except to add that I'd like to believe that MSU or maybe Bell sent Rogers to contact Cecil, Rogers floated the idea about money, and Cecil entertained the thought for a bit.  Anybody could be tempted like that...I want to believe he was not out trying to sell Cam.  I also sort of want to believe that Bond did the right thing and blew the whistle, but I'm not confident in him. 

I 100% believe that this is what happened. I think this is solely on Kenny Rogers...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 07:35:52 PM »
This is the EXACT same story that broke 2 weeks ago. EXACT! How is this breaking news? What has been shared today, that wasn't shared two weeks ago? That there was a text, but it got erased? haha...ok.

And another thing...I know for a 100% fact that Be;; can "try and get the text back" all he wants, and that shit isn't going to happen. Text data is erased after 3 days or so. The ONLY way anything like that is even tried to get retrieved is if there is a court order. You think that these fuckers that are trying to prove this shit wouldn't know a court order has been given?

I 100% believe that this is what happened. I think this is solely on Kenny Rogers...
Even if he retrived it...it would still be a text from Rogers.

Don't be scared bammers, Cam will play in the Iron Bowl, you don't need to fret.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 07:39:56 PM »

I'm to the point where I don't think it matters what Cecil did or didn't do.  The SEC/NCAA seems to be steering this case to clear Cam and AU as long as it's proven that Cam didn't know what was going on.  It's the one glimmer of hope that the NCAA really does care about its students. 

On the other hand, if this shit does start to hit the fan, I'm leaning towards thinking that Obama will have to declare martial law in Auburn and all degrees dating back to 1982 will be nullified. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 07:43:14 PM »
The SEC is pushing this under the rug, they need Cam.  Oh look an alien
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 07:45:21 PM »

Well...there's your two sources, write that shit up and send it to the media....Championship.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 07:48:50 PM »
The only things this proves is more hearsay and assumptions. Also, it is clear to me that Rogers will be the fall guy. The one thing that has been consistent from everyone except Rogers, is that Rogers was the one asking for money and hearsay that Cecil put him up to it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 07:52:14 PM »
... Text data is erased after 3 days or so. ...

Kwame Kilpatrick would like a word with you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 07:55:16 PM »
The SEC is pushing this under the rug, they need Cam.  Oh look an alien

haha...I feel the exact same way. This shit really doesn't even bother me any more...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 07:56:23 PM »

Exactly. If AU comes out unscathed in this, you know there will be tons of people saying that AU "bought" their way out of it, etc. Basically the same shit AU boards say is the reason why UA doesn't get caught for paying players. But in this post-Reggie Bush NCAA, there is no fucking way that the NCAA won't find a money trail if one exists. If the NCAA says it didn't happen, then no way it happened. Period.

As far as Cecil goes, if I'm Cecil and my hands were totally clean in this situation, I would be shouting to any news media outlet that would give me 2 minutes worth of air time that I was innocent, and I was going to fuck up a bunch of people when this is over for reporting this false bullshit. I'm sure an attorney is telling him to keep his mouth shut, but if I was innocent, fuck all that. I would be going postal about it anytime I could.

I like Cam. I think he's a better athlete than Tebow. You can't help but like the guy and his energy. I would rather all of the positive attention and the success he is seeing going towards an Alabama player, but oh well. I don't have it out for him or AU. Is it fun to kind of fuck with you guys about this, given all of the rumors started about Alabama in the past few years? You bet your ass it is. Especially with certain people on this board. I don't mind dumping a little gas on the fire every once in a while. But given the past infractions Alabama has committed, and the penalties that crippled our program for the better part of the decade, I just can't really wish that on another fanbase.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 07:59:43 PM »
Exactly. If AU comes out unscathed in this, you know there will be tons of people saying that AU "bought" their way out of it, etc. Basically the same shit AU boards say is the reason why UA doesn't get caught for paying players. But in this post-Reggie Bush NCAA, there is no fucking way that the NCAA won't find a money trail if one exists. If the NCAA says it didn't happen, then no way it happened. Period.

As far as Cecil goes, if I'm Cecil and my hands were totally clean in this situation, I would be shouting to any news media outlet that would give me 2 minutes worth of air time that I was innocent, and I was going to fuck up a bunch of people when this is over for reporting this false bullshit. I'm sure an attorney is telling him to keep his mouth shut, but if I was innocent, fuck all that. I would be going postal about it anytime I could.

I like Cam. I think he's a better athlete than Tebow. You can't help but like the guy and his energy. I would rather all of the positive attention and the success he is seeing going towards an Alabama player, but oh well. I don't have it out for him or AU. Is it fun to kind of fuck with you guys about this, given all of the rumors started about Alabama in the past few years? You bet your ass it is. Especially with certain people on this board. I don't mind dumping a little gas on the fire every once in a while. But given the past infractions Alabama has committed, and the penalties that crippled our program for the better part of the decade, I just can't really wish that on another fanbase.

Like I said Cam will play in a week and 3 days and you will get to see him destroy your team live on TV.  No worries ;)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum