Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

You knew he wouldn't work out with that name....

You knew he wouldn't work out with that name....
« on: August 04, 2010, 07:03:36 PM »
Rod Woodson is no longer with Alabama.  He was vying for a starting safety spot.  If I were in his shoes, I would have changed my name a long time ago. 

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/08/safety_rod_woodson_no_longer_w.html

Alabama coach Nick Saban announced at today's preseason press conference that sophomore safety Rod Woodson is no longer a part of the Crimson Tide's football program.

According to Saban, it was "mutally agreed it would be better for him to continue his career somewhere else."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
Re: You knew he wouldn't work out with that name....
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 07:59:21 PM »
I'm disappointed that he never made me say WOOO.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Token

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 10:55:49 PM »
I'm hearing of 3 more.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 11:04:04 PM »
Woodson was the one that got the number down to 85 by practice #1.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 07:20:20 AM »
I'm hearing of 3 more.

WTH happened?  Violation of some team rules I'm sure.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

RWS

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 08:31:17 AM »
Woodson was the one that got the number down to 85 by practice #1.
Not really. Two other guys, 3* WR Ronald Carswell and 3* DE Wilson Love, both took greyshirts. Love didn't pass his physical due to an ankle injury from high school. Not sure what the deal was with Carswell. Two other guys that were already on the team took medical hardship scholarships last month. We are at 84 right now, with that last spot presumably being held for Blake Sims, who is awaiting word from the clearinghouse. So, we would have been fine with keeping Woodson. I just think he had been having some off the field issues and couldn't really grasp the system. Like I said, when a walk-on plays ahead of you at A-Day, that's not good.  
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 04:44:46 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

GH2001

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 10:36:58 AM »
Not really. Two other guys, 3* WR Ronald Carswell and 3* DE Wilson Love, both took greyshirts. Love didn't pass his physical due to an ankle injury from high school. Not sure what the deal was with Carswell. Two other guys that were already on the team took medical hardship scholarships last month. We are at 84 right now, with that last spot presumably being held for Blake Simms, who is awaiting word from the clearinghouse. So, we would have been fine with keeping Woodson. I just think he had been having some off the field issues and couldn't really grasp the system. Like I said, when a walk-on plays ahead of you at A-Day, that's not good.   

My math must have been off yesterday. I was looking at the roster counting out of curiosity because I thought it was gonna be impossible for them to get it down to 85 by today. I could have swore I counted 85 exactly. 84 is still cutting it close being 1-2 days before practice.

I also heard a LB from UGA quit yesterday - said that Football wasn't for him anymore...WTF??
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

RWS

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 01:01:22 PM »
My math must have been off yesterday. I was looking at the roster counting out of curiosity because I thought it was gonna be impossible for them to get it down to 85 by today. I could have swore I counted 85 exactly. 84 is still cutting it close being 1-2 days before practice.

I also heard a LB from UGA quit yesterday - said that Football wasn't for him anymore...WTF??
Well, when Taylor Pharr and Milton Talbert went on medical last month, we were at 85 then. Depending on where you looked, they might have still been on that roster and throwing off your count. Or you might have counted a guy like Will Lowery, who might see a good amount of time in the rotation at Safety, as a scholarship when he is a walk-on. No telling, but it's all good.

Yeah, I saw that too. Alabama and Auburn both recruited him, so better they take the hit than one of us. That's just weird for a kid to wake up one day and say I don't want to do this anymore. But hey, kids do strange things.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 01:10:02 PM »
Kids today will quit anything in a minute. I not sure when this became okay of the cool thing to do but it happens a lot. Of course I am speaking about high school kids. But for a D1 football player to quit, something ain't right.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 01:25:17 PM »
Read an article a couple of weeks ago about a Troy lineman who up and quit.  Blakeney said he had worked his ass off and would finally be in the rotation as a senior.  Great story, walk-on, then offered a scholly etc.  However, Blakeney said the player told him he realized his limitations and he was never going to the next level and was just ready to move on to other things. 

I don't think it's all that big a deal that you get a someone every now and then who says, "Let's see, heat index of 110...in pads for hours every day....bangin and gettin banged on by 300 pound monsters..corch rippin me a new asshole every day....yeah, this has gotten a little old". I don't think everybody out there has the same level of passion for the game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

RWS

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 01:41:32 PM »
Read an article a couple of weeks ago about a Troy lineman who up and quit.  Blakeney said he had worked his ass off and would finally be in the rotation as a senior.  Great story, walk-on, then offered a scholly etc.  However, Blakeney said the player told him he realized his limitations and he was never going to the next level and was just ready to move on to other things. 

I don't think it's all that big a deal that you get a someone every now and then who says, "Let's see, heat index of 110...in pads for hours every day....bangin and gettin banged on by 300 pound monsters..corch rippin me a new asshole every day....yeah, this has gotten a little old". I don't think everybody out there has the same level of passion for the game.
I understand all that, but this kid was a 4* that was recruited by half of the SEC. UA, AU, UF, UT, USCe, UGA, and schools like Clemson and Va Tech. We're not talking about some scrub. I can see what you're saying, but to guys like that, the heat, getting yelled at by the coach, etc is just part of it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 01:50:24 PM »
I understand all that, but this kid was a 4* that was recruited by half of the SEC. UA, AU, UF, UT, USCe, UGA, and schools like Clemson and Va Tech. We're not talking about some scrub. I can see what you're saying, but to guys like that, the heat, getting yelled at by the coach, etc is just part of it.

Does that have anything to do with the guy's love or passion for the game?  I have no clue why the kid left but I can totally see someone just realizing this just isn't fun anymore.  Not worth it.  Hell, take it to another extreme.  Barry Sanders would have easily been the all time leading rusher and maybe thought of as the greatest back to ever play the game.  Just needed to play 2-3 more years and there wouldn't have been any doubt.

Naaa...I'm through.  I've had enough.  Never heard from again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 01:59:26 PM »
Does that have anything to do with the guy's love or passion for the game?  I have no clue why the kid left but I can totally see someone just realizing this just isn't fun anymore.  Not worth it.  Hell, take it to another extreme.  Barry Sanders would have easily been the all time leading rusher and maybe thought of as the greatest back to ever play the game.  Just needed to play 2-3 more years and there wouldn't have been any doubt.

Word. Sort of **puff puff*

Signed,

Ricky Williams
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 02:20:39 PM »

Sort of. Think of it along the lines of usually a guy that doesn't have love or passion for the game shows that in his play, and doesn't get recruited by the majority of the SEC. Take a guy that is crazy good like Michael Dyer. You can see in his style of play, that he has passion for the game. If he just woke up one morning and said "Meh, fuck this." you would say WTF. Right?

While the UGA kid isn't a crazy good athlete, he's pretty good. Good enough to be recruited by the likes of UA, AU, UF, Va Tech, Clemson, etc.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 03:35:59 PM »
Kids today will quit anything in a minute. I not sure when this became okay of the cool thing to do but it happens a lot. Of course I am speaking about high school kids. But for a D1 football player to quit, something ain't right.

It's not that common, but I bet this time of year, there's lots of them that have the thought cross their minds.  Some just aren't up to the task.  Better for all concerned to quit now, than be taking up a scholarship and never performing because you're heart's not in it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 04:26:55 PM »
It's not that common, but I bet this time of year, there's lots of them that have the thought cross their minds.  Some just aren't up to the task.  Better for all concerned to quit now, than be taking up a scholarship and never performing because you're heart's not in it.

Go ask Steve "Moonpie" Wilson why a player might just decide not to play any longer.

If you have never been involved in D1 Athletics, especially football, then its hard to understand. There is such a thing as burnout. For some its sooner than others. Playing football today is a time consuming activity. It never stops and sometime you are in meetings till 9 at night. And this is after your first practice at 6 AM. What these guys do today definitely take a toll on the mind as well as the body. Having made that decision to voluntarily stop playing the game that I loved many years ago, I can tell you that it is not a one moment decision. It builds up. And these guys are in the middle of trying to determine what they want to eventually do with their lives. For many, football is holding them back.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 04:33:52 PM »
Go ask Steve "Moonpie" Wilson why a player might just decide not to play any longer.

If you have never been involved in D1 Athletics, especially football, then its hard to understand. There is such a thing as burnout. For some its sooner than others. Playing football today is a time consuming activity. It never stops and sometime you are in meetings till 9 at night. And this is after your first practice at 6 AM. What these guys do today definitely take a toll on the mind as well as the body. Having made that decision to voluntarily stop playing the game that I loved many years ago, I can tell you that it is not a one moment decision. It builds up. And these guys are in the middle of trying to determine what they want to eventually do with their lives. For many, football is holding them back.

I still have effects from playing sports 15 years ago on my body. I wish I had stepped away a couple of times when I didn't. So I can see exactly what you are saying here. Barry Sanders is one I commend for walking away. He realized he didnt want to be 35-40 and struggling to get out of bed in the mornings.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

RWS

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 04:45:45 PM »
Not really. Two other guys, 3* WR Ronald Carswell and 3* DE Wilson Love, both took greyshirts. Love didn't pass his physical due to an ankle injury from high school. Not sure what the deal was with Carswell. Two other guys that were already on the team took medical hardship scholarships last month. We are at 84 right now, with that last spot presumably being held for Blake Sims, who is awaiting word from the clearinghouse. So, we would have been fine with keeping Woodson. I just think he had been having some off the field issues and couldn't really grasp the system. Like I said, when a walk-on plays ahead of you at A-Day, that's not good.  
Update, Sims has been cleared by the NCAA and will practice tonight.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 04:47:36 PM »
Update, Sims has been cleared by the NCAA and will practice tonight.

Who is Sims?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 05:02:11 PM »
I still have effects from playing sports 15 years ago on my body. I wish I had stepped away a couple of times when I didn't. So I can see exactly what you are saying here. Barry Sanders is one I commend for walking away. He realized he didnt want to be 35-40 and struggling to get out of bed in the mornings.

Buddy of mine played for an SEC team in the mid 80s.  Went in a 6-4 180 WR, and played as a starter his RS Jr. season a 6-4 240 TE, and was used primarily as a blocker.  He got his degree in 4 years, and told them to stick it for his Sr. season.  The beating and the 'roids had taken their toll, and he feels it today.  He would have been the #1 guy at his position had he stayed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions