Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Jason Campbell traded to....

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Jason Campbell traded to....
« on: April 24, 2010, 03:03:27 PM »
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-campbell/redskins-in-trade-talks-involv.html

Redskins trade Jason Campbell to Oakland (updated)

Updated 2:08 p.m.

The Jason Campbell era in Washington is over.

The Redskins traded the five-year veteran quarterback to Oakland this afternoon in exchange for the Raiders' fourth-round pick in the 2012 draft.

"I'm just glad the situation is over and I'm moving forward," Campbell said this afternoon. "Sometimes change comes in your life, change comes in your career, and you've just got to be ready to adapt. I'm going to go out to Oakland and give 110 percent and do everything I can to help that organization become a winning team.

"Obviously, that was my goal here. Of course, a lot of things happened and we weren't able to accomplish that goal. But hopefully this time around it'll happen. I just wish the best of luck to the Redskins, and I'm moving forward in my career and my life. This is a great opportunity for me, and that's the way I'm looking at it."

A career in Washington that began five years ago with so much promise now moves westward. Campbell's future here was immediately cast in doubt when the team acquired Donovan McNabb from Philadelphia earlier this month. He skipped the team's first minicamp this month and received permission from Washington Coach Mike Shanahan to pursue a trade.

"I talked to [Raiders owner] Al Davis, and he said he wants me there. That means a lot to me," Campbell said. "I'm ready to get to work."

Shanahan called Campbell shortly after the deal was completed. "He just told me he appreciated how I handled myself throughout the whole situation," Campbell said. "He told me he respected me for just being professional, and that he would do anything for me if he could. I appreciated that, because that's how I've tried to be my whole career."

Shanahan said he planned to bring back Campbell as a backup if the five-year veteran did not find a better situation, but the Redskins were not willing to guarantee Campbell a portion of his $3.14 million contract for this season, according to two people familiar with the situation. Campbell's contract would have become guaranteed if he were on Washington's opening-game roster, but the team would have owed Campbell nothing if he were cut before the opener.

Campbell never fulfilled the high expectations of owner Daniel Snyder. The Redskins twice changed offensive philosophies during Campbell's three-plus seasons as a starter, and failed to address the offensive line - their weakest unit since the middle of the 2008 season.

"I guess that's just the hand I was dealt, but the bottom line is winning and we just didn't win enough," Campbell said. "It wasn't because of not wanting to win or not giving the effort; everyone there knows how hard I worked and how much I care about winning. Of course, I wish things could have been better here. I was looking forward to working with Coach Shanahan, and I definitely feel like I could have won a lot finally having someone like him to work with in Washington.

"There were a lot of things that we needed to do to be that type of organization, but there are a lot of things you can't control as a player. I think Washington is going to do a lot of great things under Coach Shanahan, but I have to just learn from this and put it all behind me. You just learn from everything you experience and it just makes you stronger. That's the way I've always looked at things. I'm a Raider now, so I'm going to take all my experiences here and I'll be an even better quarterbacks for the Raiders."

Campbell is eager to begin working with Raiders offensive coordinator Hue Jackson. "I think I'll work really well with him," Campbell said. "He has run similar type of offenses that I've been in, both a numbers system and a West Coast system. I don't think it'll be a problem for me to pick up on the offense quickly. I've heard a lot about him, and I'm look forward to getting to know him and helping the Raiders as soon as possible. That's my focus now."

The Redskins had previously acquired Rex Grossman as a free agent to serve as the team's backup this season.

Campbell, who earned $2.857 million during his final year in Washington, was a restricted free agent and signed his tender earlier this month with the Redskins for $3.14 million. He earned nearly $11 million in salary and bonuses in his five seasons with the Redskins.

According to a source familiar with the situation, Campbell has agreed to a contract that will pay him $3.14 million in 2010, plus a $100,000 workout bonus, and $4.5 million in 2011.

In Oakland, Campbell should have a chance to start, as he joins an unimpressive group of quarterbacks that includes JaMarcus Russell, Charlie Frye, Kyle Boller and Bruce Gradkowski.

Campbell was a first-round pick by Joe Gibbs in 2005 - the draft's 29th overall selection. The Redskins traded up to get him, giving away three picks, including their 2006 first-round selection. He was almost immediately anointed the team's quarterback of the future and after holding the clipboard for a year, he took over the starting job midway
through 2006 season.

He's been the team's top quarterback since then and has started its last 32 games. No quarterback has started more games for the Redskins since Mark Rypien led the huddle from 1989 to '93.

Even as the Redskins rotated offensive coordinators, Campbell saw his offensive numbers steadily rise each of the past three seasons, even as the offensive line in front of him struggled.

Last year, Campbell finished the season with career highs in completions (327), completion percentage (64.5), yards (3,618), yards per completion (7.1), touchdowns (20) and quarterback rating (86.4).

He also threw a career-high 15 interceptions and was sacked 43 times, more than all but two other NFL quarterbacks.

During his 52-game career in Washington, Campbell threw for 10,860 yards and 55 touchdowns. He is the team's sixth all-time in yardage, fifth in completions, second in completion percentage.

The team reached the playoffs twice while Campbell was a Redskin, though Mark Brunell was the quarterback in 2005 and Todd Collins played in place of an injured Campbell in 2007.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Re: Jason Campbell traded to....
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 03:12:39 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 03:21:26 PM »
Between this and Walt, does this mean I have to pull for Rolondo?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 04:20:09 PM »
No quarterback has started more games for the Redskins since Mark Rypien led the huddle from 1989 to '93.

Wow.

During his 52-game career in Washington, Campbell threw for 10,860 yards and 55 touchdowns. He is the team's sixth all-time in yardage, fifth in completions, second in completion percentage.

Decent positions in the record books for what some are calling a failure.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

jadennis

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 04:30:24 PM »
Wow.

Decent positions in the record books for what some are calling a failure.

That's what I was thinking.  Especially considering the article noted the o-line as being the weakest unit on the team.  Not to mention the coaching cluster that existed around him.  Don't forget Zorn was hired as the offensive coordinator prior to hiring an actual head coach.  And when no one wanted the job, they just gave it to an unprepared Zorn. 

That kind of crap doesn't fly in the NFL, and Campbell had to weather storm.  I hate, hate, hate that he's going to what may be the only situation more screwy than the one he just left.   I guess the Raiders have a chance.  They did somehow manage to beat the Eagles, Bengals, Steelers, and Broncos last year
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 12:24:31 AM »
Jason was setup to fail by Snyder. Look at what he had to go through there. The Skins and McNabb are perfect for each other. I fucking hate them both.  The Boys will look fwd to pasting his ass with a different team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 12:26:34 AM »
Between this and Walt, does this mean I have to pull for Rolondo?

I'm pulling for Rolo...also, don't forget about Quentin Groves.

Okay, I'm officially a Raider.  We need to get some fuckin' Offensive Linemen!!

« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 12:56:46 AM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 01:14:15 PM »
I'm pulling for Rolo...also, don't forget about Quentin Groves.

Okay, I'm officially a Raider.  We need to get some fuckin' Offensive Linemen!!

Forgot QG was traded there earlier this week. Looks like I'm a Raiders fan now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 02:05:22 PM »
Forgot QG was traded there earlier this week. Looks like I'm a Raiders fan now.

Ditto.  I'm a little uncomfortable with it, but what the hell.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 02:17:16 PM »
Ditto.  I'm a little uncomfortable with it, but what the hell.
Maybe this will help you with your decision to join the Raider Family.....

FUCKIN' BADASS

Or.......

« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 02:21:37 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

wesfau2

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 02:22:59 PM »
Maybe this will help you with your decision to join the Raider Family.....

FUCKIN' BADASS

These are not people that I want to associate with.

Or.......

These, on the other hand, I believe I could huddle up with.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 03:05:27 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 03:34:35 PM »
Huh...Prowler struck me as being a raider fan all along...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 04:32:26 PM »
Huh...Prowler struck me as being a raider fan all along...
I'm a Chicago Bears fan too, mainly because my Grandfather played for them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 05:49:47 PM »
How can something so hardcore as the Raiders come from So Cal?  It just goes against all prejudices I've built for people that live in California.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 09:31:31 PM »
Used to love the Raiders. 

Howie, Bo, Stork, Sticky, Marcus, Biletnikoff, Branch, Banaczek, Alzado, Sistrunk, Matuszak...  Loved the renegade attitude and the kick your ass mentality.

Raiders and Steelers were my favorites when all my friends were fucking Cowboys fans. I hate the Cowboys and fucking Lee Roy Jordan.  I liked Staubach, Golden Richards, Newhouse and Landry but that wasn't enough to overcome my utter hate for that organization.  I consider them the Bammers of professional football.

Been a long time since I had anything but sympathy for the Raiders.  Al Davis is a mummy.  I hate to see Jason there and hate that the Redskins screwed him over and then raped him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 11:19:09 PM »
Matuszak... 

Wasn't he Sloth?

HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 08:15:33 AM »
Damn, Al Davis might have done something right. Getting JC is an immediate upgrade. Adding Rolo, McFadden, and Groves is pretty good too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 08:41:36 AM »
How can something so hardcore as the Raiders come from So Cal?  It just goes against all prejudices I've built for people that live in California.

:wartim: =  San Fran
 :silence: = Oakland
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 08:55:55 AM »
Damn, Al Davis might have done something right. Getting JC is an immediate upgrade. Adding Rolo, McFadden, and Groves is pretty good too.

I fear that Jason is going to be stuck behind an offensive line that is pretty similar to what he just left.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."