Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

If You Need To Puke, But Can't

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
If You Need To Puke, But Can't
« on: February 18, 2009, 11:58:45 PM »
http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20090218/ARTICLES/902180323?Title=Second-graders-get-surprise-from-Saban#

By Tom Smith
Senior Staff Writer

Published: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 3:30 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 12:24 a.m.

FLORENCE - What started out as lesson in letter-writing turned into a pleasant surprise for Connie Gilley's second-grade class.

Eighteen Forest Hills Elementary School students took part in a writing class project supervised by intern teacher Ashley Mauldin, who is a University of North Alabama student.

"Everyone goes to the Internet, but we wanted them to be aware of the importance of letter-writing," Gilley said.

Mauldin said the class project took place Feb. 4 and although it wasn't planned that way, that date was college football's national signing day.

"We were going to write to their parents and then we got to talking about signing day and most of the students in the class are huge Alabama fans, so the students decided they had rather write to Coach (Nick) Saban."

Even the students who aren't Alabama fans wrote letters to Saban.

Some of the letters referred to certain players, such as graduating quarterback John Parker Wilson, or how much the letter writer loved Alabama football.

Kenzie Cornelius, 7, wrote about her favorite player and also had some suggestions for Saban concerning a new quarterback.

"I loved John Parker Wilson; he was cute. I hope you get a new cute boy again," Kenzie wrote. "I hope you get another good team. P.S.: You rock and Roll Tide."

Less than a week after the letters were sent to Saban, the students got a response.

"He sent us a thank you card and a team photo and a box, which was filled with Alabama football T-shirts," Gilley said. "They were so excited. We had no idea we would get the shirts."

On Tuesday, the students were busy writing thank you notes to Saban.

Even the class' lone Tennessee fan, Hannah Benson, 8, was wearing her Alabama shirt Tuesday.

"My dad didn't know what to say when I told him we were getting the shirts," said Benson, who admitted she now pulls for Alabama except when they play Tennessee.

"I know they're going to be better this year," said Martavis Powers, 7, who had just finished his note.

In addition to the thank you notes, the class had a special surprise planned for Saban - a box of Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Cakes, his favorite.

"It'll be a surprise for him this time," Mauldin said.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: If You Need To Puke, But Can't
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 12:14:36 AM »
I have heard that brainwashing is a bitch to get rid of.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Birmingham

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 12:33:46 AM »
Glad to see the youngsters taking an interest in sports.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 01:03:14 AM »
Saban has 2 of the kids coming in for a visit this weekend.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 01:20:15 AM »
I heard Saban implements the "Bump rule" so much that he now has Parkinson's induced herpes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

boartitz

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 02:15:04 AM »
What are those 3 kids in the back holding? Little Debbies?
Is that the new hotness to replace the toilet paper and washing powder?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 02:20:27 AM by boartitz »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 08:49:16 AM »
I would be one pissed off mother fucker if I saw my kid in an Alabama shirt and writing letters to Saban. I would raise fucking hell....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 12:51:18 PM »
Don't worry - we have some guys on the frontline as well.  I worked at a summer camp one summer and taught my entire group of 15 boys the Auburn fight song.  One of them was a kid who wore a Bama shirt every day to camp.  He had Bama hats, Bama jerseys, Bama shorts, etc. 

Well, I finally convinced this kid to start saying "War Eagle" every time I saw him.  His dad found out and raised hell.  The best part was that the kid got bitched out so much by his dad because of it, that the kid told me one day that he hated Alabama. 

The kid was 6.  I kinda felt bad about the whole ordeal, but then again, this kid may grow up to be a 6'3 210 pound receiver with 4.3 speed.  I've done my part. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 12:59:46 PM »
Spencer will be 2 next Friday - he can't say his last name but he already knows how to say "Bama stinks..."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 01:07:09 PM »
Spencer will be 2 next Friday - he can't say his last name but he already knows how to say "Bama stinks..."

Damn 2 already?  Time has a way of getting away.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 01:28:08 PM »
I'm starting to feel old.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 01:38:04 PM »
Don't worry - we have some guys on the frontline as well.  I worked at a summer camp one summer and taught my entire group of 15 boys the Auburn fight song.  One of them was a kid who wore a Bama shirt every day to camp.  He had Bama hats, Bama jerseys, Bama shorts, etc. 

Well, I finally convinced this kid to start saying "War Eagle" every time I saw him.  His dad found out and raised hell. The best part was that the kid got bitched out so much by his dad because of it, that the kid told me one day that he hated Alabama. 

The kid was 6.  I kinda felt bad about the whole ordeal, but then again, this kid may grow up to be a 6'3 210 pound receiver with 4.3 speed. I've done my part. 

Growing up in the family I did, I know how that kid feels.  My dad was never pushy about wanting me to be a bama fan, but the rest of the family couldn't figure out why I wasn't a bammer, UT or LSU fan.  They never stopped to think that their obnoxious asses made me hate them all.  Hard times growing up being one of three Aubies in the family.

That is outstanding, hopefully the kid will grow up with the hating bama. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 01:39:32 PM »

That makes me smile.  Keep up the good work!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 01:53:45 PM »
Until last November, my son didn't even know it was possible for Alabama to win an Iron Bowl.  Even though he knows it's possible now...he still shares my disgust with all things crimpsum.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 03:51:51 PM »
I would be one pissed off mother fucker if I saw my kid in an Alabama shirt and writing letters to Saban. I would raise fucking hell....

I would hope and like to think that my children would just laugh and let them know they prefer to write to someone else. Besides, my kids have enough AU stuff that they proudly wear one just about each day to school. Screw bama.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Tiger Wench

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 04:22:28 PM »
Damn 2 already?  Time has a way of getting away.
i know... it makes me sad... but then I remember that it is one year closer to that Auburn scholarship...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 06:20:31 PM »
i know... it makes me sad... but then I remember that it is one year closer to that Auburn scholarship...
Hah, QB? OL? DE? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 09:45:21 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 09:47:57 AM »
SAT...

Start quizzing them now.  From experience, it's a tough field. 

My daughter had the whole package -- 4.0, church service, mission work, athletics, debate team, scholar's bowl, honor societies, blah blah blah.  But she went to a dinky private school -- about our only option -- and it was lacking in some of the sciences.  It hurt her on the ACT.  I don't remember the numbers now, but whatever Auburn's minimum was (I think 30) she was a point off.  None of the rest of it mattered.  That one stinking damn point. 

She ended up getting a scholarship, but we had to start yanking every string we could find and it still doesn't cover everything.

Not to brag -- well yes, to brag -- but the work on making sure she was well rounded and grounded has really paid off.  She is knocking the academic ball out of the park (100+ average in calculus) and still managing to be actively involved in other stuff.  She's adapted FAR better than I did when I went to college the first time. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 11:19:25 AM »
Not to brag -- well yes, to brag -- but the work on making sure she was well rounded and grounded has really paid off.  She is knocking the academic ball out of the park (100+ average in calculus) and still managing to be actively involved in other stuff. 

Sincerely.. That's awesome.  Good for her.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions