Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Sorry Vandy

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
Re: Sorry Vandy
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 10:32:31 AM »
NOW it's official.

James Franklin is a renter, per his own words:

Quote from: James Franklin
You can be a renter or you can be a builder. You can rent somebody else's legacy or you can come in and build your own. We talk about how that's a way to differentiate yourself. You can come here and do something that's never been done before. We talk about selling these kids on a dream and a vision of the greatest turnaround in college football history. That's an opportunity you don't get very often. Nowadays, it's very hard to do something that's never been done before. You're following in somebody else's footsteps. At Vanderbilt, we have a chance to walk our own path.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 10:56:09 AM »
NOW it's official.

James Franklin is a renter, per his own words:
I think he set y'all up for long-term success way moreso than anyone else in our lifetime has. Y'all should build a statue of him. He established a mentality that Vandy can actually be a football school. It's no longer a joke for recruits to pick the school. The facilities upgrades that apparently Penn State is now paying for, will pay dividends. Anchor Down, etc. etc. Provided Vandy doesn't fuck up royally on the next guy, he should be able to continue what Franklin built, IMO.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 11:32:30 AM »
I think he set y'all up for long-term success way moreso than anyone else in our lifetime has. Y'all should build a statue of him. He established a mentality that Vandy can actually be a football school. It's no longer a joke for recruits to pick the school. The facilities upgrades that apparently Penn State is now paying for, will pay dividends. Anchor Down, etc. etc. Provided Vandy doesn't fuck up royally on the next guy, he should be able to continue what Franklin built, IMO.

Maybe, maybe not.  Sure, Vandy was left with a better record and better facilities.  For that, he gets my thanks, and I do believe that will help in landing a worthwhile coach.

But there's something unsettling I've noticed about Franklin's tenure.  I've noticed that our star players in the past couple of years (Jordan Matthews, Zac Stacy, and Jordan Rodgers) were Bobby Johnson's recruits.  Carta-Samuels, Robinette, Seymour, and Kimbrow are solid players...but outshined by Stacy and Rodgers.  And there's no WR that Franklin has recruited who outplays Matthews; Krause is the closest WR, but he was also recruited by Bobby Johnson.

Our recruiting classes were solid with Franklin.  So why are Johnson's players the ones to excel?  Franklin's recruiting classes were overrated, the coaching sucked, or the players are young and have yet to pan out.

I don't know what the issue is, but it's slightly concerning to me that the talent we've been recruiting under Franklin has yet to perform like the talent recruited by Johnson.  If it's a coaching problem, then we have to bring in a guy who can coach AND recruit, and then maybe we'll be set to continue to improve.  If it's a talent problem, then we're fucked for the next few years (and maybe more depending on the coach we get), especially considering that Franklin's departure could very well screw over our current recruiting class.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

jmar

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 12:07:35 PM »
Maybe, maybe not.  Sure, Vandy was left with a better record and better facilities.  For that, he gets my thanks, and I do believe that will help in landing a worthwhile coach.

But there's something unsettling I've noticed about Franklin's tenure.  I've noticed that our star players in the past couple of years (Jordan Matthews, Zac Stacy, and Jordan Rodgers) were Bobby Johnson's recruits.  Carta-Samuels, Robinette, Seymour, and Kimbrow are solid players...but outshined by Stacy and Rodgers.  And there's no WR that Franklin has recruited who outplays Matthews; Krause is the closest WR, but he was also recruited by Bobby Johnson.

Our recruiting classes were solid with Franklin.  So why are Johnson's players the ones to excel?  Franklin's recruiting classes were overrated, the coaching sucked, or the players are young and have yet to pan out.

I don't know what the issue is, but it's slightly concerning to me that the talent we've been recruiting under Franklin has yet to perform like the talent recruited by Johnson.  If it's a coaching problem, then we have to bring in a guy who can coach AND recruit, and then maybe we'll be set to continue to improve.  If it's a talent problem, then we're fucked for the next few years (and maybe more depending on the coach we get), especially considering that Franklin's departure could very well screw over our current recruiting class.
Butch Jones will make a name for himself at Vandy's expense if the AD doesn't act quickly to lure the right guy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 12:19:47 PM »
Kirby Smart to Vandy per nobody yet. I'm trying to start that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Stone Tiger

• The Trinity
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2014, 12:22:44 PM »
Kirby Smart to Vandy per nobody yet. I'm trying to start that.

The bloom is off that rose. 

Besides, why would you want him to leave?  Saban might actually get a DC that could coach at that point. 

I want Smart as Saban's successor.  That would be a comedy of Dubosian proportions.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My opinions...let me tell you them...

Vandy Vol

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 12:27:11 PM »
Butch Jones will make a name for himself at Vandy's expense if the AD doesn't act quickly to lure the right guy.

I have faith in David Williams.  He's shown that he is willing to do what it takes to build a better program.  My only concern is who's available and willing to take a chance on fully buying into an upcoming team.  As much as I liked Bobby Johnson, Franklin is the only Vandy coach that I can remember who bought into the program enthusiastically, or at least put up a facade as if he did.  Widenhofer was good for our defense, but wasn't a great overall coach, recruiter, or hype man.

We're left with options like Chad Morris, Derek Mason, and Jim McElwain.  I'm not scoffing at any of those options as being below Vandy, but I don't know much about them, and that's what concerns me.  Of course, I felt the same way when Franklin was hired.  Which is why I have faith in David Williams as an AD to make the right decision again, even if it's only for another three years.  As long as we're heading upward, maybe we can eventually land someone who truly wants to be with the program.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 12:37:34 PM »
I have faith in David Williams.  He's shown that he is willing to do what it takes to build a better program.  My only concern is who's available and willing to take a chance on fully buying into an upcoming team.  As much as I liked Bobby Johnson, Franklin is the only Vandy coach that I can remember who bought into the program enthusiastically, or at least put up a facade as if he did.  Widenhofer was good for our defense, but wasn't a great overall coach, recruiter, or hype man.

We're left with options like Chad Morris, Derek Mason, and Jim McElwain.  I'm not scoffing at any of those options as being below Vandy, but I don't know much about them, and that's what concerns me.  Of course, I felt the same way when Franklin was hired.  Which is why I have faith in David Williams as an AD to make the right decision again, even if it's only for another three years.  As long as we're heading upward, maybe we can eventually land someone who truly wants to be with the program.
Williams has proven he knows what he's doing. I liked having Franklin in the conference. Vandy is now more of a springboard than a crash landing spot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

jmar

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2014, 12:40:50 PM »
The bloom is off that rose. 

Besides, why would you want him to leave?  Saban might actually get a DC that could coach at that point. 

I want Smart as Saban's successor.  That would be a comedy of Dubosian proportions.
I had my heart set on the nitwit Dabo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 12:40:56 PM »
Williams has proven he knows what he's doing. I liked having Franklin in the conference. Vandy is now more of a springboard than a crash landing spot.

My crash landing spot has always been Jumbo's anus.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 12:45:01 PM »
Very visual WT. I liked.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 12:48:10 PM »
It's like you envision it and...post it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2014, 07:09:40 AM »
Vandy will take a few steps back, and unless they hire someone like Franklin again (a coach that will cheat his ass off in recruiting), solid players will start looking at UT again. This was Vandy's time to take control of UT...but that's not going to happen now, UT will be back up while Vandy will slide back down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2014, 10:10:35 PM »

But there's something unsettling I've noticed about Franklin's tenure. I've noticed that our star players in the past couple of years (Jordan Matthews, Zac Stacy, and Jordan Rodgers) were Bobby Johnson's recruits.  Carta-Samuels, Robinette, Seymour, and Kimbrow are solid players...but outshined by Stacy and Rodgers.  And there's no WR that Franklin has recruited who outplays Matthews; Krause is the closest WR, but he was also recruited by Bobby Johnson.

Definitely agree. Bobby Johnson laid the foundation for Franklin's success.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2014, 06:41:07 AM »
Definitely agree. Bobby "Golly Gee" Johnson laid the foundation for Franklin's success.
fixt
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2014, 09:44:10 AM »
Mmmm I like it like that, Vandy werking that back I don't know how to act.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2014, 11:25:05 AM »
One source saying Mack Brown is in consideration for the Vandy job.

Brown versus Lord Sabinz... could be amusing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2014, 11:42:54 AM »
One source saying Mack Brown is in consideration for the Vandy job.

Brown versus Lord Sabinz... could be amusing.

David Williams said that 25 people have voluntarily contacted Vandy about the position, and that 5 of those are people who turned us down when we were last looking for a coach.

I would be kind of surprised if Brown were interested though.  I think the only reason that he's being mentioned is because he's from Tennessee and played at Vandy for a year.

Although he kind of shit the bed at Texas this past year, I think bigger schools would still want him.  Not to mention that at his age, I don't think he's going to be in for the long haul of building a program.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 12:36:51 PM »
Sure it wasn't Watson Brown?  (Since everything old is new again)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2014, 01:58:33 PM »
Vandy might have to do something quick. James Franklin has a charter bus that he's filling up with current Vandy commits and bringing them, or trying to bring them, to Penn State. Vandy's 20 commits, at this time, less than a handful are considered solid verbal...the others are looking, some of them have a new PSU offer. Remember what that Coach Franklin stated when he got to Vanderbilt? Players without honor and integrity are the ones that've decomitted from his new Vanderbilt (Nevermind the fact that he'd gotten a couple players from other schools to decommit and commit to Vanderbilt).
Sounds to me like I was right about Coach James Franklin. He's a piece of shit, used car salesman, snake in the grass type coach. Vandy will be thanking their lucky stars that he left when he did, the NCAA will catch on to him, maybe while he's at PSU.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs