Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburn Hires as OC...

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Auburn Hires as OC...
« on: January 22, 2012, 07:32:11 PM »
Scot Loeffler.

As expected, no fucking body saw that one coming.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/01/auburn_hires_scot_loeffler_as.html

Auburn hires Scot Loeffler as offensive coordinator after recent coaching stops at Temple, Florida
Published: Sunday, January 22, 2012, 6:25 PM     Updated: Sunday, January 22, 2012, 6:26 PM
Charles Goldberg/Auburn Bureau

AUBURN, Alabama -- Auburn has hired Tim Tebow's quarterback coach at Florida as its new offensive coordinator, the newspapers of al.com have learned.

Scot Loeffler is coming to Auburn after spending the 2011 season as Temple's  offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Loeffler was Florida's quarterback coach in 2009, Tebow's last season, and was also with the Gators in 2010.

He's been a coach for 13 years, including the 2008 season with the Detroit Lions.

He'll be on the recruiting trail Monday morning.

Loeffler replaces Gus Malzahn, 40 days after the former offensive coordinator was named the head coach at Arkansas State.

The hiring of Loeffler completes a reshuffling of Gene Chizik's two most high-profile positions. Auburn hired former Atlanta Falcons defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder as its defensive coordinator earlier this month. The move gives Auburn coordinators with both college and NFL experience. 

Loeffler's 2009 Florida quarterbacks led the nation in passing efficiency which included 3,305 yards for 28 touchdowns. 

Loeffler, 37, played quarterback at Michigan from 1993-96, and was the Wolverines' quarterback coach from 2002-007. He was Central Michigan's quarterbacks' coach from 2000-01. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 07:35:58 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Re: Auburn Hires as OC...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:40:20 PM »
Loeffler???? I hardly know her.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 07:46:13 PM »
I'm not bitching about the hire, but...

Why did it take Chizik two fucking weeks to hire Loeffler?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 08:08:34 PM »
I'm not bitching about the hire, but...

Why did it take Chizik two fucking weeks to hire Loeffler?

This...

What the fuck????
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 08:19:40 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 08:26:10 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 08:27:12 PM »
I'm neutered over this hire. :facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 08:37:11 PM »
Could be a great hire.  But I also wonder about the timing, surely Chizik could have had this guy 2 hours after Gus left.  Anyone remember what type of offense Temple ran this season?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 08:54:26 PM »
Temple had the 67th ranked offense. However this guy seems good at developing QBs and lord knows we need that. While not a splash hire, I'm gonna hold on my opinion till I actually see him coach at Auburn.

Scot Loeffler

Quarterbacks
Coaching Experience

2009- Present    Florida (Quarterbacks)
2008    Detroit Lions (Quarterbacks)
2002-07    Michigan (Quarterbacks)
2000-01    Central Michigan (Quarterbacks)
1998-99    Michigan (Graduate Assistant)
1996-97    Michigan (Student Assistant)
Coaching Accomplishments

Led a Florida quarterback unit that led the nation in pass efficiency (167.3) in 2009. They passed for 3,305 yards for 28 touchdowns with just five interceptions. Florida ranked second in the SEC in passing offense with an average of 236.1 yards per game.
Guided Tim Tebow in his final season at Florida, during which he passed for 2,895 yards and 21 touchdowns, finishing his senior year with a passing efficiency of 164.17. The quarterback left Florida with five NCAA, 14 SEC and 28 UF records
Spent one season in the NFL with the Detroit Lions, where he guided a quarterback unit that threw for 2,960 yards.
Led the Michigan quarterbacks for six seasons, most recently guiding second-round draft pick Chad Henne. Under the tutelage of Loeffler, Henne became the first true freshman QB to lead his team to a Big Ten title and start in a BCS bowl game. Henne set school marks in career passing yards (9,715), touchdowns (87), completions (828) and attempts (1,387).
Helped develop John Navarre into the team's first All-Big Ten first-team quarterback since 1997.
Prior to his term with his alma mater, Loeffler served as Central Michigan's quarterbacks' coach for two seasons, 2000-01.
Helped guide two NFL quarterbacks in Tom Brady and Brian Griese as a graduate and student assistant at Michigan and was a part of the Wolverine staff during the 1997 undefeated season and National Championship title.
Has seen the quarterbacks he coached at Michigan go on to play in 219 regular-season NFL games, including 196 starts. In addition, those players have garnered a combined four Super Bowl rings as pros.
Prominent Players Coached
FLORIDA

QB TIM TEBOW: 20th Anniversary William V. Campbell Trophy winner, who is also a three-time Heisman Trophy finalist, taking home the award as a sophomore in 2007. The two-time SEC Offensive Player of the Year (2007 & 2009) threw for 9,285 yards and 88 touchdowns in his four seasons at Florida, while having also gained 2,947 yards on the ground with 57 rushing touchdowns, both school records by a Florida quarterback.
MICHIGAN

QB CHAD HENNE: Holds school record for career passing yards (9,715), touchdowns (87), completions (828) and attempts (1,387). Became the first quarterback in Wolverine history to throw 20 or more touchdown passes in each of his first three seasons.
QB JOHN NAVARRE: All-Big Ten first-team quarterback who set seven passing marks and six career records at Michigan.
QB TOM BRADY: NFL MVP and two-time Super Bowl MVP with the New England Patriots who led the Wolverines to Citrus and Orange Bowl victories in 1998 and 1999. Set school record for most completions in a season (214) in his first year as a starter.
QB BRIAN GREISE: Led Michigan to an undefeated season and a share of the National Championship in 1997. Selected as MVP of the Rose Bowl in 1997 and went on to become a Super Bowl champion and NFL Pro Bowl selection as a member of the Denver Broncos.
NFL Players (Round Drafted)
QB Brian Griese (3rd) - Michigan '98 - Denver Broncos
QB Tom Brady (6th) - Michigan '00 - New England Patriots
QB Drew Henson (6th) - Michigan '03 - Houston Texans
QB John Navarre (7th) - Michigan '04 - Arizona Cardinals
QB Chad Henne (2nd) - Michigan '08 - Miami Dolphins

Playing Career
Quarterback for the Michigan Wolverines from 1993-96.

Personal Information
Birthdate: Nov. 1, 1974  
Hometown: Barberton, Ohio
Education: Michigan (1998)
Family: Married to Amie Loeffler. Has one son, Luke.

Bowl Games as a Coach
1999: Citrus
2000: Orange
2003: Outback
2004: Rose
2005: Rose
2005: Alamo
2007: Rose
2008: Capital One
2010: Sugar
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 08:59:46 PM »
Nobody knew who the fuck Jim McElwain was until he came to Alabama.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 09:10:39 PM »
Could be a great hire.  But I also wonder about the timing, surely Chizik could have had this guy 2 hours after Gus left.  Anyone remember what type of offense Temple ran this season?
Multiple Offense (Shotgun with under the Center type plays).

Coach Loeffler is a hell of a QB Coach (Big Splash for a QB Coach)....as for the OC? No idea, since last year was his first as an OC at Temple, but Temple did have a very successful season offensively last year.

The reason for waiting on announcing him as the OC has more to do with him not being Coach Chizik's first choice (it was more than likely Cam Cameron or Ver Steeg) and Coach Chizik was going to do everything he could to get his first choice, but wasn't able to land him (IMO).

Coach Loeffler has SEC coaching experience and he's a good recruiter too (landed Ryan Mallett at Michigan).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 09:14:04 PM »
WOW!  I am so Meh'd up right now, I just pissed myself.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 09:24:14 PM »
Nobody knew who the fuck Jim McElwain was until he came to Alabama.

Nobody knows who the fuck he is now, you goat teabagger.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 09:47:57 PM »
Temple's Offense:
Passing O = 116th (198 att, 116 comp, 4 ints, 1648 yds, 11tds, 58.59 pct)
Total Offense = 63rd
Redzone O = 40th
Scoring Offense = 39th
Passing Efficiency = 33rd
3rd Down Conversion Pct. = 20th
Rushing O = 7th (636 att, 3335 yds, 38 tds, 256.54 ypg)
Int Thrown = 1st

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1025
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

JR4AU

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 09:51:58 PM »
Temple had the 67th ranked offense. However this guy seems good at developing QBs and lord knows we need that. While not a splash hire, I'm gonna hold on my opinion till I actually see him coach at Auburn.

Yep.  BTDub, 67th was better than Auburn, and at Temple.  Honestly, I don't care what they ranked, it's Temple.  The guy is young had success coaching QBs in college and NFL.  He's got a lot of experience to draw from to put together an offense.  He has SEC experience. 

I do question why it took so long.  I'm sure when Loeffler's phone rang as soon as Chiz said, "This is Gene Chizik" Loeffler said "YES!" 

I figure other candidates took other jobs, turned him down, OR he got tired of waiting on one of those names still in the playoffs.

Anyway...we now have an OC. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
Yep.  BTDub, 67th was better than Auburn, and at Temple.  Honestly, I don't care what they ranked, it's Temple.  The guy is young had success coaching QBs in college and NFL.  He's got a lot of experience to draw from to put together an offense.  He has SEC experience. 

I do question why it took so long.  I'm sure when Loeffler's phone rang as soon as Chiz said, "This is Gene Chizik" Loeffler said "YES!" 

I figure other candidates took other jobs, turned him down, OR he got tired of waiting on one of those names still in the playoffs.

Yup...now he needs to make a stop over in Maryland, on his way to Auburn, and speak to Stefon Diggs....maybe bring a couple duffle bags full of "Love", make Diggs say yes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 10:02:37 PM »

I may be ahead of myself, but weren't the 2008 Lions the first team to ever go 0-16?

Yes, I was correct.  That is the team considered by many to be the worst in the history of the NFL.  I probably wouldn't mention that when talking him up. 

Just sayin'.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:05:36 PM by Token »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 10:09:34 PM »
I may be ahead of myself, but weren't the 2008 Lions the first team to ever go 0-16?

Yes, I was correct.  That is the team considered by many to be the worst in the history of the NFL.  I probably wouldn't mention that when talking him up. 

Just sayin'.

You've sorted out his entire career, yep. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 10:10:33 PM »
Still can't see why it took so long, but, well it don't matter now.

Look at this, and it might tell you why he was chosen, and who our QB will be next year. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 10:14:04 PM »
IMO, I'm happy that Coach Chizik's first choice feel through. Auburn needs a bigtime QB Coach and that's exactly what Coach Loeffler is. The other candidates had zero coaching and recruiting experience in the SEC. Coach Loeffler has Florida ties too. I'm just interested to see how successful he can be as the OC in the SEC.

I guess that would be a question mark with all of the Coaches being looked at.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions