Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburn stomps the puppies game thread...official

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Auburn stomps the puppies game thread...official
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2010, 10:02:49 AM »
14 points and giving up about 250 yards on the road is something I can live with every time.  If anyone had told me that's what the D would make happen, I'd have been grinning ear to ear and become a bettin' man.  I've been the anti-Roof for a long time and I'm still not sold because MSU is not a good team.  However, kudos to Roof and the D.  Loved, loved, loved the way they manned up on that last drive and dared MSU to beat em'.  Good stuff.

Now, I haven't read through the 6 pages of this thread and I'm sure this has been discussed in one form or another.  BUT...I'm just thinkin' here Corch Malzahn...when there's just over 2 minutes to go and the other team has 1 time out remaining and you're on the other team's 22 with a 3rd and 1.....you just may not want to play action there big guy.  Again, maybe it's just me....but I was kind of thinkin' 2 downs to make 1 yard and put the game away might be.....Naaaa....you're makin' the big bucks so you're right.  Faking a handoff to the 215 pound running back or ignoring 240 pound Eric Smith so you can get cute and lose 4 yards is the much better option.  But then again, that's just me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2010, 10:06:03 AM »
Everyone needs to come down from the ledge....it was a WIN. An SEC win on the road against a decent team in a hostile environment. MSU was very motivated and played like it.

I do agree with what you're saying, all your points are valid. Lets not forget that MSU had this game circled, for whatever reason. I will still say though, we were not playing to win last night, more like playing not to lose. If this were last year, we would have lost the game so in that perspective we have improved from last year. There were many good things to take from this game but there are many things that def needs some oiling. I think we'll be fine and MSU is gonna hit some folks in da mouf this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2010, 10:19:04 AM »
Listen to him...he's pre-law

I'm a division mgr. People are scared of me. I drive a Dodge Stratus. I can do 18 push ups in 3 minutes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2010, 10:25:18 AM »
I didn't think Auburn looked any where near as bad as you guys did.

I thought the first half Auburn played great. Not sure what happened in the second half...but that shit happens and is correctable.

It looked like Auburn could have run away with it at half time. Mississippi State came out and played a good half of football. They kept our offense off the field for 8 minutes to start the half, and I think that screwed us up for some reason.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2010, 10:27:22 AM »
While everyone was bitching and moaning about the defense last week, I was ringing alarms about the stupid fucking turnovers and penalties by our offense and special teams.

My fears were magnified this game.

I'm not nearly as worried about the defense as everyone else seems to be. Again, I think it's a perception thing, and people are expecting/half-wanting Roof to fail. They went to work last night. and saved the game. All we could come up with with Cam running Malzahn's offense was 17 points against MSU? Doesn't bode well for the rest of the season. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CUT OUT THE STUPID PENALTIES AND HOLD ON TO THE GOD DAMNED BALL!!!

Cam looked human last night, which is disappointing. Don't get me wrong, there were a couple of scrambles converted into 10+ yard gains that ended with him plowing over a DB. Just not enough. And worse, too many overthrown passes, the INT, a couple of sacks, and getting zero yard gains up the middle were disheartening.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 10:29:06 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2010, 10:27:59 AM »
And another thing. Auburn was never in jeopardy of losing that game. We were in control on both sides of the ball from start to finish.

Although, there is no way in hell I would have kicked a field goal at the end. I put the game in Cam's hands and call it a day...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2010, 10:29:42 AM »
Everyone needs to come down from the ledge....it was a WIN. An SEC win on the road against a decent team in a hostile environment. MSU was very motivated and played like it. They were tough and played determined, but they ran out of gas and are short on talent. MSU will win some ball games this year because of their D alone. We gave up 250 total yards on D. 250!!!! Against a team that put up over 600 the week before, even if they did play the Memphis School for the Blind.

Add in the fact that they were given a TD - TWICE via a muffed punt and MSU recovering their own fumble at the goal line AND the onside kick, I think we came out pretty good. 

We have tons of things to work on. Dyer is a stud. Fannin needs to take a seat on the bench. McCalebb at this point simply needs to be a change of pace back. That was a great front 7 we played against.  Ziemba was missed in the 2nd half. He will be a high NFL Draft Pick and you don't really get BETTER losing an NFL caliber lineman in the 1st quarter. Stevens is being missed more than most realize, because of the aforementioned comments on Bynes and Freeman (slow and out of position constantly).

Not making excuses and most know I don't drink Chizik kool aid, but all of these conditions combined with the short week had the makings of a sloppy game. Kudos to Roof for getting his shit together even though he is handicapped by the perpetual slowness of Bynes and low FB IQ of Freeman.

I don't want to go way overboard with any juggernaut breakdown skills here, so I'll say ditto.  I'll add some things too.   :)

Cam got crucial 1st downs.  He's pretty good.  He did throw a pick, and also a TD that was a BB.  He's not great on the whole as a passer but nowhere near inept either. 

Dyer and McCaleb are a good one two punch.  Both are averaging @6 yards a carry for the first 2 games.  Bitch all you want about the way McCaleb looks doing it (I agree on how it looks), but he carried the ball 12 times for 68 yards last night.  People have bitched and moaned about the play calling, and some of the crazy shit Malzahn has done, and last night they played very consevative, and folks don't like that either.  Fucking choose!  You can't have it both ways.

The defense...what I thought would be a weakness this year, so far has been the stregnth...the DL.  The two units that returned solid, experienced players, the DBs and LBs, have taken step back.   Yet, last night, when they had to, they stepped up.  They weren't smothering, and there were a lot of "if MSU had hit this, or done this"...but there were also some stops, and a couple of dropped INTs that could have swung it our way.  That's football.  The DBs are suspect, and the LBs are too.  There's some issuses with the DBs...they don't turn and look for the ball...they cover great in man...meaning they can keep up with WRs, then they go all tard and start waiving their hands, or hand fighting with the WR instead of looking for the ball.  That's coaching...not Roof, that's Lolley.  Ultimately that falls to Chiz to fix, and I don't think you can fix that during the season.  Like GH said, I think Stevens may be missed more than we know.     Some things that folks haven't noticed or commented on.  Mullen pulled out the true old Veer Option last night.  Leaving our DE unblocked, and reading him.  Their FB had a few good carries.  Then they pitched off our DE, and the QB kept a time or two,  and they even ran the "nasty" (I think that's what Mullen/Meyer call it)...the underneath pitch to the FB/TE.  This triple option drives defenses crazy today because it takes very specialized coaching to coach defending that, and if you don't prepare for it, you can get burned with it before you can adjust.  Yet, we adjusted and shut it down later in the game, and never got completely burned by it.  That's very good.  Often teams never adjust to this.  We didn't blitz all night, but when we did, it was timely and effective.  Just a side note: Fairley is a beast.  So there were positives to take from this game. 

In the end, we went on the road in the SEC, and won a close game.  We played poorly at times, and still managed a win.  Today, as expected, "that was just MSU and y'all struggled" is what I heard from the bammers on the radio.  Some Auburn folks sound that way too.  Y'all know that game went off with us as a 1pt dog in Vegas.  Not that it really matters, but that's the fact, or at least that's what I heard late yesterday evening on the radio. 

I'm not on the ledge.  We have lots of improving to do.  It was a short week by the way.  Some things I think can and will improve, IE offense will get more consistent, and Malzahn will learn exactly what the "tools in his belt" can do, and use them properly.  I don't think the DBs will imrove much.  If Stevens comes back, maybe the LBs will.  Overall, because it was a road win, and won largely on the stregnth of running the ball and defense, I'll give it a C+. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 10:40:02 AM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2010, 10:31:04 AM »
While everyone was bitching and moaning about the defense last week, I was ringing alarms about the stupid fucking turnovers and penalties by our offense and special teams.

My fears were magnified this game.

I'm not nearly as worried about the defense as everyone else seems to be. Again, I think it's a perception thing, and people are expecting/half-wanting Roof to fail. They went to work last night. and saved the game. All we could come up with with Cam running Malzahn's offense was 17 points against MSU? Doesn't bode well for the rest of the season. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CUT OUT THE STUPID PENALTIES AND HOLD ON TO THE GOD DAMNED BALL!!!

Cam looked human last night, which is disappointing. Don't get me wrong, there were a couple of scrambles converted into 10+ yard gains that ended with him plowing over a DB. Just not enough. And worse, too many overthrown passes, the INT, a couple of sacks, and getting zero yard gains up the middle were disheartening.

Cam SHOULD get better. First SEC start, on the road, against a team who wanted us badly. It was some good early exp in a hostile environment against a physical defense. This should help us down the road. He is gonna have some growing pains and "oh shit" moments, no doubt.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 10:34:30 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2010, 10:35:48 AM »
And another thing. Auburn was never in jeopardy of losing that game. We were in control on both sides of the ball from start to finish.

Although, there is no way in hell I would have kicked a field goal at the end. I put the game in Cam's hands and call it a day...

True dat.  We actually had a huge point swing with the fumbled punt, and the INT we threw in the endzone.  That was a 14-21 point swing depending on how you "woulda coulda shoulda" it.  The muffed punt was huge psycologically...the Defense had just gotten their first meaningful stop since 2007, and we fucking muffed the punt. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2010, 10:42:32 AM »
True dat.  We actually had a huge point swing with the fumbled punt, and the INT we threw in the endzone.  That was a 14-21 point swing depending on how you "woulda coulda shoulda" it.  The muffed punt was huge psycologically...the Defense had just gotten their first meaningful stop since 2007, and we fucking muffed the punt.

I agree.

I was never really worried. But I was drinking pretty heavily.

Also, I am not sure what you guys watched...but I thought Cam look excellent last night. Fucking EXCELLENT. He is not going to be able to run through every defense like Arkansas State. It's just not going to happen. I thought he stood in the pocket well and threw some damn good balls. He avoids the rush and looks to pass first and then run. And he threw well on the run.

I am not sure why you guys think he played poorly. He is not going to complete every pass he throws and he will get sacked occasionally. Dude managed the game well and played like an elite QB IMO.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
I agree.

Also, I am not sure what you guys watched...but I thought Cam look excellent last night. Fucking EXCELLENT. He is not going to be able to run through every defense like Arkansas State. It's just not going to happen. I thought he stood in the pocket well and threw some damn good balls. He avoids the rush and looks to pass first and then run. And he threw well on the run.

I am not sure why you guys think he played poorly. He is not going to complete every pass he throws and he will get sacked occasionally. Dude managed the game well and played like an elite QB IMO.
I agree.   I feel like our team played a well rounded game last night on both sides of the ball.  Minus the fumble and punt return blunder by Carr.  If I had to rate them, I would give them a solid B.  That's compared to my solid C I gave them last week against Arkansas State.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

GH2001

« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2010, 10:49:24 AM »
I agree.

Everyone listen to THIS ^^^

Last week spoiled a LOT of Auburn fans with Cam. He set the bar high. I thought he did well too considering how much pressure was coming from MSU's front 7 all night.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 10:50:24 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2010, 10:52:48 AM »
I agree.

Yep...not perfect, but damn good game from Cam.  He kept drives alive with his feet, yet he had good pocket presence.   Again with stats...11 for 19 Passing (57%) 136 yds/2 TDs/1Int; 18 Rushes for 70, 3.9 avg even with 2 sacks for -20 yards (I'm betting he had at least 4 first down runs), and 1 catch for 22 yards.  228 yards of total offense aint shabby. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2010, 10:57:50 AM »
Yep...not perfect, but damn good game from Cam.  He kept drives alive with his feet, yet he had good pocket presence.   Again with stats...11 for 19 Passing (57%) 136 yds/2 TDs/1Int; 18 Rushes for 70, 3.9 avg even with 2 sacks for -20 yards (I'm betting he had at least 4 first down runs), and 1 catch for 22 yards.  228 yards of total offense aint shabby.

228 total yards of Offense by OUR QB.

Our D gave up 250 yards and 7 true points to their entire team. 

But somehow people are all over Cam and our D on this one. I don't get it Big Dan. The sky - its still up there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2010, 10:57:54 AM »

Yep. And you hit Cam at the line of scrimmage and, for the most part, dude falls down for a 4 yard gain. You can't teach that shit...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2010, 11:01:04 AM »
I agree.

I certainly don't think he played poorly, just not like the God I had made him out to be in my head.

Like I said, he played like a human, which is disappointing because I'm expecting him to be a Terminator.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
I certainly don't think he played poorly, just not like the God I had made him out to be in my head.

Like I said, he played like a human, which is disappointing because I'm expecting him to be a Terminator.

He lowered his play so Dyer could get some spotlight.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

JR4AU

« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2010, 11:03:08 AM »
Yep. And you hit Cam at the line of scrimmage and, for the most part, dude falls down for a 4 yard gain. You can't teach that shit...

Bullshit, I taught him that shit! 

I also notice that when he runs, he either lays the wood to whoever is brave enough to take him on, or manages to take a glancing blow if he's the one taking the hit.  There are some guys that just have an instinct for not taking huge hits.  He seems to be that type of runner.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2010, 11:05:24 AM »
Bullshit, I taught him that shit! 

I also notice that when he runs, he either lays the wood to whoever is brave enough to take him on, or manages to take a glancing blow if he's the one taking the hit.  There are some guys that just have an instinct for not taking huge hits.  He seems to be that type of runner.

Cam lowered the boom on one pour guy. I could have sworn he was on his way to the sideline after that.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 11:08:21 AM by djsimp41 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2010, 11:07:41 AM »
This

Cam SHOULD get better. First SEC start, on the road, against a team who wanted us badly. It was some good early exp in a hostile environment against a physical defense. This should help us down the road. He is gonna have some growing pains and "oh shit" moments, no doubt.

+ this

I agree.

Is where I am at.  Plus I will add that I would rather see the errors we have to fix then play 2 cupcakes and blow them out.  At least the coaches know what we have to work on and what are weaknesses are.  We all thought that this was going to be a tighter game, so why are we so surprised when it actually was.  A win is a win on the road in the SEC.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 11:08:41 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum