Recruiting rundown from Auburn's big summer camp

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« on: July 19, 2010, 02:20:33 PM »
http://blog.al.com/auburnbeat/2010/07/post_18.html

Published: Saturday, July 17, 2010, 6:15 PM     Updated: Saturday, July 17, 2010, 6:40 PM
Evan Woodbery Evan Woodbery

There were hundreds of players in town for Saturday's spirited football camp. Hip-hop music pumped on the field, assistant head coach Trooper Taylor was doing running back bumps and head coach Gene Chizik was patrolling the grounds from his golf cart.

I was just looking for shade.

I'll have plenty more online and in tomorrow's newspaper editions of the Press-Register, Birmingham News and Huntsville Times, but here's a quick rundown on what we learned today...

* Americus, Ga., offensive lineman Uneik Crumbley didn't get an offer today, but said he thought going against some top competition was valuable. He got some pointers from offensive line coach Jeff Grimes. Crumbley said that Grimes also advised him that he needed to boost his ACT score a couple of points.

* It looks like an offer could be coming soon for offensive lineman Zach West, of Lexington, Ky. West said coaches told him that they would "be in touch" shortly. He said an offer would immediately put Auburn in his top three, along with Kentucky and Penn State.

* Linebacker Anthony Swain of Gadsden is already a commitment. He said he was in town this weekend to recruit for the Tigers.

* Defensive end Justin Shanks of Prattville is only a junior, but he estimates that he has visited Auburn nine times this summer. He plans to visit for virtually every home football game, and he can rattle off the schedule as well as the most avid fan.

There's obviously plenty of time left in his recruitment, but it would appear he is Auburn's to lose.

* Defensive back Alex Dixon of Clearwater, Fla., got to sit down for his first extended talk with Chizik today. He said they spent a lot of time discussing their shared hometown. Chizik and Dixon's family know many of the same people, Dixon said.

Dixon said he has offers from 20 schools, but said Auburn is in his top tier. He wants to come back at some point and didn't even rule out "pulling the trigger" and making a decision on his return trip.

* Valley defensive back Erique Florence was on hand as a visitor, but didn't participate in camp. He wore an orange shirt and a New York Yankees cap. He actually made a really nice play on the sidelines on an errant throw by one of the quarterbacks. He was hanging out with some of the coaches' kids for much of the camp.

Wonder why Florence didn't participate in the camp?

Dixon's offer list is pretty impressive. Why a 3* on Scout and unranked on Rivals?

Same deal with West.

Shanks & Crumbley appear to be steals as well based on the reports I've seen from the camp.

http://auburn.scout.com/2/984818.html

Crumbley’s a big sleeper
This story originally published on SuperPrep.com
Uneik Crumbley

By Chad Simmons
South Recruiting Manager

I was in Athens Friday night for Georgia’s Dawg Night and I was in Auburn on Saturday for the final camp for the Tigers and I saw the same lineman dominate both days. Uneik Crumbley looks like an SEC lineman and he doesn’t have an offer yet. He is going to be a steal for someone.

Uneik Crumbley has a unique name and he is in a unique situation because he is one of the top offensive linemen I have seen at camps this summer and he has yet to pick up his first scholarship offer.

Crumbley is out of Americus (GA) Americus-Sumter and I have yet to see his film, but I saw enough over the weekend to say with confidence that he could play college football on a very high level.

He measured in at Auburn on Saturday at 6-foot-3 and 348 pounds. That weight may look heavy, but he carries it very well.

He is well built, he moves well, and he is very strong. He sets his base in one on ones and he stones most defensive tackles that go at him. He is only 16 years old and is already bench pressing well over 300 pounds.

The South Georgia senior was dominant at Georgia and he did not lose one battle there. At Auburn, he was sharp, but he did lose a couple of battles during the one on ones. I think he gave both coaching staffs a lot to think about if they are looking for an offensive guard.

Crumbley was informed that he would have an offer waiting for him at Southern Miss is he attended their camp on Saturday, but he could not travel that far, so he took his game to Auburn.

No offers yet and he is getting ready to begin his senior year. His film should be on Scout soon and maybe that will lead to more attention. He truly deserves it.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: Recruiting rundown from Auburn's big summer camp
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 02:31:24 PM »
Scout and Rivals simply have not had time to evaluate everyone.  It's actually just that simple.  Look at Sammie Coates this weekend as an example.  It took Chad Simmons one (and his first) to have Scott Kennedy at Scout bump him from a two to a three, and calls it a good chance he'll be a four. 

I think people need to relax with the stars for short term.   As these kids start to get more and more well known and take the stage their senior years, stars are going to start shifting all over the place. 

JMO...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 06:27:54 PM »
Scout and Rivals simply have not had time to evaluate everyone.  It's actually just that simple.  Look at Sammie Coates this weekend as an example.  It took Chad Simmons one (and his first) to have Scott Kennedy at Scout bump him from a two to a three, and calls it a good chance he'll be a four. 

I think people need to relax with the stars for short term.   As these kids start to get more and more well known and take the stage their senior years, stars are going to start shifting all over the place. 

JMO...
Eggzachery.....People (Auburn people that is) should be more concerned with the prospect's Grillz ratings, not those "$tar" ratings that you people speak of.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 06:06:48 PM »
Eggzachery.....People (Auburn people that is) should be more concerned with the prospect's Grillz ratings, not those "$tar" ratings that you people speak of.

Everybody knows the grillz rating is where it's at.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 06:09:20 PM »
Everybody knows the grillz rating is where it's at.

Skraight from the skreets.  Hater.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 06:14:52 PM »
Skraight from the skreets.  Hater.

No hate just trying to participate.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban