Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

IPhone to Verizon Official

IPhone to Verizon Official
« on: June 29, 2010, 06:52:59 PM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-06-29/verizon-wireless-said-to-start-offering-iphone-ending-at-t-s-exclusivity.html

Will drop on Verizon in January of 2011.

I'm still loving my HTC Droid Incredible though.  Not sure I'm all that excited about this, really.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

Re: IPhone to Verizon Official
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 07:49:54 PM »
This excites me.  That's about the time I'll be looking to upgrade from my 3G, and now I'll get a chance to tell AT&T to fuck off too. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 09:42:23 AM »
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Verizon, BUT....

I am not sure this is going to work out 100% like people are thinking. For one, it will be a CDMA version of the iPhone. That will severely limit the current iPhone's functionality. And I am not sure there is a way around it since Verizon's entire network is built on CDMA. The same contractor making the iPhones now for Apple is not making this phone (which could be a good thing).

Voice and Data (on Blackberry and Droid) work great on Verizon, but the iPhone is another story. I am also not sure how Verizon's network will hold up with a bazillion iPhone users pinging those towers every second. But this is HUGE for Apple and Verizon from a business perspective. Verizon is a HUGE new market for Apple.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 11:37:53 AM »
I think the article states that the current network limitations are being worked and that Verizon will have the network to run the iPhone properly.   No way that Apple agrees to it without it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 11:48:31 AM »
I think the article states that the current network limitations are being worked and that Verizon will have the network to run the iPhone properly.   No way that Apple agrees to it without it. 

^^This^^

I have worked with Apple closely.  The only way it could have been closer was if Steve Jobs himself was in the meetings.  (He sent his bitch boy to report directly to him).  They want to have as many kinks worked out as possible before they launch something.  It never happens completely but that is what they shoot for.  He paid for his own engineers, Boradcom's engineers and Brocades engineers to be on our site for about 4 months to get our issues fixed before our official release date.  They might not get it right on the first try, but it's not from a lack or trying.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 12:04:36 PM »

My guess is that they will utilize the new LTE network that ATT and Verizon are both going to.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 10:58:44 AM »
I think I will wait to see something official from Verizon on this. Too many times I saw articles, ever since ATT's exclusive contract with Apple ran out, saying Verizon is about to launch iPhones. The last big push of rumors was right before Verizon came out with the Droid. I can see the whole Droid project as one of two things:

1) There really are no plans to sell iPhones and the Droid phones were meant to directly compete with them.

2) The Droid project was mean to test the network somewhat with iPhone like devices to give them, and Apple, an idea of what they are or aren't going to need or might need to upgrade to run a shit-ton of iPhones effectively on the network.

As I stated in another thread, I just don't see what the big love affair with iPhones is all about. I have a Droid Eris, and I really like it. I can see from that aspect. I'm sure the Apple Store has more and better apps than the Android Market. I just don't see what the big deal is. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 12:41:51 PM »
I think I will wait to see something official from Verizon on this. Too many times I saw articles, ever since ATT's exclusive contract with Apple ran out, saying Verizon is about to launch iPhones. The last big push of rumors was right before Verizon came out with the Droid. I can see the whole Droid project as one of two things:

1) There really are no plans to sell iPhones and the Droid phones were meant to directly compete with them.

2) The Droid project was mean to test the network somewhat with iPhone like devices to give them, and Apple, an idea of what they are or aren't going to need or might need to upgrade to run a shit-ton of iPhones effectively on the network.

As I stated in another thread, I just don't see what the big love affair with iPhones is all about. I have a Droid Eris, and I really like it. I can see from that aspect. I'm sure the Apple Store has more and better apps than the Android Market. I just don't see what the big deal is. 
The I-Phone has apps.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 08:21:16 PM »

Virtual Game Attendance App  -  Coming to an iPhone near you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions