Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Why I'll Be Purchasing An X-Box (And Ditching Cable)

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Why I'll Be Purchasing An X-Box (And Ditching Cable)
« on: June 15, 2010, 10:09:32 AM »
I am in the exact same boat as the author of this article. I download all of my TV shows, and I could get a USB HDTV Tuner for dirt cheap for CBS games, etc. Like this guy, the only thing keeping me from saving $50 a month on my cable bill (for a shitty service since I switched from DirectTV to Charter in an effort to save money), has been this.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/14/xbox-espn/

Xbox 360 Gets Live Sports In HD From ESPN. Canceling My Cable In 5, 4, 3…

by MG Siegler on Jun 14, 2010

Everyone is busy talking about Microsoft Kinect (the project formerly known as Natal), but to me, some much bigger news just dropped at E3 from Microsoft: ESPN live sports access. Simply put: this was the only thing holding me back from completely canceling my cable subscription. As soon as this goes live, I’m done with cable forever.

No, this live sporting access won’t be entirely free, but it’s one hell of a deal. You simply have be an Xbox Live Gold member (about $50 a year), and you’ll get access to over 3,500 live events a year. In HD. Did I mention it was $50 a year? My cable bill is currently double that — a month.

According to BusinessofVideo.com:

Content includes college basketball, college football, soccer, MLB and NBA amongst others.

It’s hard to overstate just how big this news is for people fed up for cable. A little over a year ago I tried to cancel my cable after being fed up with Comcast’s sub-par (a nice way of saying it) service and absurd prices. I was fine using only my Xbox 360, Apple TV, and computer for all my content for several months. One thing I severely missed though was live sports. As crazy as it sounds, there’s only so many times you can drag yourself to a bar on a weeknight to watch every game you want to see.

So when I moved a few months ago, I signed up for cable again (this time without Comcast, thankfully). Once again, I find the only thing I regularly watch on cable is live sports — so I’m effectively paying $100 a month for that privilege since the cable companies still refuse to do a-la-carte packages where you can choose only the channels you want. With this new Xbox Live ESPN service, I can officially cancel cable — and never look back.

One thing not mentioned in the announcement was the biggest sports league in the U.S.: the NFL. Still, if I only have to drag myself to bars to watch those games, I’ll be a happy camper.

Back in December, when it looked like Apple was on the verge of talking some of the television networks into doing subscription-based TV packages through iTunes, I wrote that Apple may be on the verge of kneecapping the cable industry. Those deals have yet to come to fruition. And so their rival Microsoft beat them to the knee bashing. As long as I can throw that crappy cable box and its piece of garbage remote out the window, I don’t care who destroys big cable’s monopoly, I just care that it’s done.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Why I'll Be Purchasing An X-Box (And Ditching Cable)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 10:18:50 AM »
I am in the exact same boat as the author of this article. I download all of my TV shows, and I could get a USB HDTV Tuner for dirt cheap for CBS games, etc. Like this guy, the only thing keeping me from saving $50 a month on my cable bill (for a shitty service since I switched from DirectTV to Charter in an effort to save money), has been this.

Good find.  Unfortunately the history channel, scifi, and cartoon network have me by the short and curleys.  I will not be dropping cable anytime soon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:20:08 AM »
Good find.  Unfortunately the history channel, scifi, and cartoon network have me by the short and curleys.  I will not be dropping cable anytime soon.
Bit torrents, mothafucka.

http://ezrss.it/shows/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 10:21:49 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 06:08:49 AM »
Awesome...some more shit that you won't be able to do on your 360 because it keeps giving you the "Ring of Death".  Should be fantastic.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 06:51:48 AM »
Awesome...some more shit that you won't be able to do on your 360 because it keeps giving you the "Ring of Death".  Should be fantastic.
Red rings of death have not been an issue since the changed boards 18 months ago. Only the remaining old models that did not have the new board are still having that issue.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 10:10:57 AM »
Red rings of death have not been an issue since the changed boards 18 months ago. Only the remaining old models that did not have the new board are still having that issue.

With the new one you definitely won't have to worry about the red rings of death.

It's a color we know so well, but it looks like Microsoft would like to dissociate itself from its RROD heritage, or perhaps just ran out of red LEDs: the new Xbox 360 only has a green ring around its power button, so even if you wrap the thing in a blanket and set it on fire, it won't be flashing red to tell you how it feels.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 10:25:51 AM »

THIS man knows.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 10:36:15 AM »
With the new one you definitely won't have to worry about the red rings of death.

Yea I saw that and thought the same thing.  Good marketing foresight on their part I guess.

Explored some of the ESPN dealio last night.  Will be very interesting to see how it's implemented.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:45:47 AM by Saniflush »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 11:27:05 AM »
Yea I saw that and thought the same thing.  Good marketing foresight on their part I guess.

Explored some of the ESPN dealio last night.  Will be very interesting to see how it's implemented.

So....we feeling good about this tupperware dealio?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 02:12:01 PM »
So....we feeling good about this tupperware dealio?

Which part?  The ESPN or the new console?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 06:42:47 PM »
So..."Green" Ring of Death.  Got it, no more Red lights....Green means go, or all of my boards are fuckin' melting because you have me powered on all Damn day and night.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 02:03:19 AM »
So..."Green" Ring of Death.  Got it, no more Red lights....Green means go, or all of my boards are fuckin' melting because you have me powered on all Damn day and night.
Why are you so angry at Microsoft?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 03:02:54 AM »
Why are you so angry at Microsoft?
Two rings of death make Prowler a dull boy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.