jmar

Tim Floyd Response to USC Penalties
« on: June 10, 2010, 11:52:26 PM »
Jun 10, 2010
UTEP issues statement in response to NCAA's findings at Southern Cal
05:03 PMYahoo! BuzzShare
DiggNewsvineRedditE-mailSavePrintShare0   
Comment

Recommend When the University of Texas-El Paso hired Tim Floyd on March 30, some questioned the move as Floyd's name was still linked to an NCAA investigation into alleged payments made to a handler for O.J. Mayo at Southern Cal.

On Thursday, the NCAA made public its punishment for USC over the alleged violations and while the association hammered the USC's football program, it said the self-imposed penalties to the men's basketball program were sufficient and added no more sanctions.

UTEP, which has maintained its position that Floyd would not be punished further by the NCAA, responded Thursday with a statement from athletics director Bob Stull saying that it is pleased with the NCAA's findings.

"We are pleased with today's announcement and the results of the NCAA's report. Tim Floyd has had a nearly 30-year relationship with UTEP and we regard him not only as an outstanding coach, but as an individual of the highest character. I'm sure that Tim is happy to put this behind him and we look forward to him leading our basketball program."

Floyd's attorney, Jim Darnell, released a statement on behalf of the coach later in the day:

As you are all aware by now, the National Collegiate Athletic Association issued its report today regarding the University of Southern California athletic program. What you have not seen is the cover letter from the NCAA to Coach Floyd, which states:

"The committee did not name you in any findings of violations or impose a penalty upon you."

As coach has wanted to say publicly for a long time: "It didn't happen."

We are pleased at this outcome, but certainly not surprised. The Committee did its work and reached the right conclusion. Neither COach nor any of his assistants was found to have violated any of the NCAA rules at play in this case.

The school said Floyd would have no further comment at this time.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Re: Tim Floyd Response to USC Penalties
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:04:24 AM »
What is it with UTEP taking coaches who have the smell of scandal?  Price?  Floyd?  They can only get guys on the downslide?

I know, Barbee came from there too - but he has connections to Calipari... hmmmmmmmm
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 12:49:49 AM »
What is it with UTEP taking coaches who have the smell of scandal?  Price?  Floyd?  They can only get guys on the downslide?

I know, Barbee came from there too - but he has connections to Calipari... hmmmmmmmm
Maybe UTEP is a secret safe haven for the near criminally connected. All I know is that El Paso is some kind of party town. Price couldn't possibly rehab there. Impossible!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 09:57:24 AM »
Maybe UTEP is a secret safe haven for the near criminally connected. All I know is that El Paso is some kind of party town. Price couldn't possibly rehab there. Impossible!

No coach will escape the clutches of Feleena.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:58:33 AM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.