Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The alpha-Male...

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
Re: The alpha-Male...
« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2010, 10:45:15 AM »
How do you find ammo?  

All ammo is hard to find and expensive right now.  I searched everywhere.  My last purchase came from the Scottsdale Gun Club online.  Their prices aren't bad.  They actually screwed up my first order with them and sent me 9mm instead of 380s.  After a couple of e-mails, they corrected the order and let me keep the 9mm for less than $10/box.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

JR4AU

« Reply #181 on: May 21, 2010, 10:49:52 AM »
Since you qualified it with "lightweight". Otherwise, a regular 1911 is fun to shoot, but a little on the heavy side fully loaded.

I didn't qualify it...I remarked about a particular make and model.  Yes the 1911 is heavier than many of these polymer 9s and 40s.  For those of us that grew up shooting, hunting, and for some of us that have carried a firearm on duty...we will trade a little weight for having a cocked and locked 1911 stoked with 230gr Hydrashoks. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #182 on: May 21, 2010, 10:52:21 AM »
Those who don't carry them don't know, and for some reason assume otherwise...the 1911 is one of the most concealable pistols there is, outside of those little useless pocket derringers.  They've very thin...thinner than a S&W .38Spcl.  They can be carried neatly merely tucked in a wasteband, and they make a miriad of holsters to choose from for them.  A Colt Lightweight Commander is the absolute poop in personal concealed carry.

You make it work for you because you like the gun.  I like it too, but it's just a little too big for easy concealment.  The largest I feel comfortable carrying is a Glock 19, and I feel like that pushes the envelope. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

JR4AU

« Reply #183 on: May 21, 2010, 10:57:59 AM »

You make it work for you because you like the gun.  I like it too, but it's just a little too big for easy concealment.  The largest I feel comfortable carrying is a Glock 19, and I feel like that pushes the envelope. 

It's a matter of personal choice for sure, but your glock 19, while lighter, isn't as concealable as a standard 1911.  So, it's a trade off.  Glocks are bulky in my opinion.  Good guns, and I carried one in .40 at times when I policed.  It's a great duty weapon.  I also have to say that I'd never go with a 9mm unless forced to by an agency I worked for.  I have no use for a 9mm in personal defense when I can get a .40 in the same style and sized platform, or a .45 in a 1911 platform.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #184 on: May 21, 2010, 10:58:46 AM »
I have to keep the kids on mind. It's hard to secure that .12. I have a gun vault under my side of the bed that I can take the smaller weapon in and out of. As the kids get older, they understand and are not intrigued by the guns as they are allowed to shoot whenever they want, with supervision. But it's the visiting children that we have to protect.

Understandable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GarMan

« Reply #185 on: May 21, 2010, 11:09:11 AM »
I also have to say that I'd never go with a 9mm unless forced to by an agency I worked for.  I have no use for a 9mm in personal defense when I can get a .40 in the same style and sized platform, or a .45 in a 1911 platform.

I've heard it all before.  The Glock 19 has capacity/volume at 15+1.  The 1911 has half of that.  I took that trade-off favoring capacity.  As long as we empty the clips, the predators are dead. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #186 on: May 21, 2010, 11:14:54 AM »
I've heard it all before.  The Glock 19 has capacity/volume at 15+1.  The 1911 has half of that.  I took that trade-off favoring capacity.  As long as we empty the clips, the predators are dead. 

You said "clips"!    :sad:

If you carry a .45, you don't have to shoot dry to stop them. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #187 on: May 21, 2010, 11:31:08 AM »
You said "clips"!    :sad:

If you carry a .45, you don't have to shoot dry to stop them. 

:taunt:

If you know how to shoot a gun, you can stop them with virtually any calibre.  Center mass is center mass.  They'll stop. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #188 on: May 21, 2010, 11:44:13 AM »

If you know how to shoot a gun, you can stop them with virtually any calibre.  Center mass is center mass.  They'll stop. 

If you say so...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #189 on: May 21, 2010, 11:46:08 AM »
Can we rename the thread on this one as well?

Suggestions:

GarMan vs JR4AU: Round 2
The Firearm Pissing Contest - May 2010
The Lawyer vs who cares - he's not a lawyer
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #190 on: May 21, 2010, 11:55:18 AM »

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #191 on: May 21, 2010, 12:10:42 PM »

If you know how to shoot a gun, you can stop them with virtually any calibre.  Center mass is center mass.  They'll stop.  

Well. He do got a point. If you use the right kind of ammo, then the 9 will be fine. FMJ is teh sucks against the crazy. A .45 does not really care what kind of ammo, it is just so big.

The son carried a 9 in Iraq. He claimed it was so he would have something to shoot himself with in case of capture. Said the FMJs went right through the crazy guys. Took too many rounds. But they were not allowed to use the good ammo. At home we do not have that ammo problem.

But for the most part, a 9 will keep the bad guy off of you.  

I had to get the wife a Bearcat. Her hands have arthritis so bad she cannot squeeze a trigger or pull back a normal hammer. Not a lot of stopping power, but beats the shit out of pepper spray. And has no kick. She is comfortable with it and that is important. She can handle, cock, aim, and shoot without flinching or thinking. I would hate to be on the other end.

She is more alpha-male than many men.

<I reined the thread back in just for you GH2001>
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:12:22 PM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

« Reply #192 on: May 21, 2010, 12:13:57 PM »

I think you took him waaaaay too literal when he said "as long as we empty clips". You know the point he was trying to make.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #193 on: May 21, 2010, 12:17:44 PM »
The term "clips" is easier to type. By using the generic term "clips", it give the alpha-male more time to aim and shoot rather than taking a longer time to type "magazine".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

JR4AU

« Reply #194 on: May 21, 2010, 12:19:30 PM »
I think you took him waaaaay too literal when he said "as long as we empty clips". You know the point he was trying to make.

Just a "gun nut" terminology thing.  It makes me cringe when people say "clips" the same way it does when people say "my house was robbed" when they mean burglarized.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2010, 12:19:42 PM »
The term "clips" is easier to type. By using the generic term "clips", it give the alpha-male more time to aim and shoot rather than taking a longer time to type "magazine". while the lawyer guy argues semantics with the bad guys and gets waxed.

FTFY

Just pickin at ya JR  :bar:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:20:13 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GarMan

« Reply #196 on: May 21, 2010, 12:21:38 PM »
I had to get the wife a Bearcat. Her hands have arthritis so bad she cannot squeeze a trigger or pull back a normal hammer. Not a lot of stopping power, but beats the poop out of pepper spray. And has no kick. She is comfortable with it and that is important. She can handle, cock, aim, and shoot without flinching or thinking. I would hate to be on the other end.

She is more alpha-male than many men. 

Around here...  That may be true. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #197 on: May 21, 2010, 12:23:04 PM »
Just a "gun nut" terminology thing.  It makes me cringe when people say "clips" the same way it does when people say "my house was robbed" when they mean burglarized.  

HA...I'm the same way with bias vs biased. And also the term "racket". Most things (99.9999999%) people refer to as a "racket" are not by the textbook definition. Maybe I've just been watching way too many Mafia flicks.

Also hate it when the Bammers say "Awbren". Or anyone for that matter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2010, 12:23:57 PM »
The term "clips" is easier to type. By using the generic term "clips", it give the alpha-male more time to aim and shoot rather than taking a longer time to type "magazine".

"Mag" is perfectly acceptable, and doesn't reveal ignorance about guns the way "clip" does.  "Dick" is less letters and sylables than "pussy", but they're aren't the same thing.      
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2010, 12:25:41 PM »
"Mag" is perfectly acceptable, and doesn't reveal ignorance about guns the way "clip" does.  "Dick" is less letters and sylables than "pussy", but they're aren't the same thing.      

They are if you are referring to someone in a derogatory manner.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions