Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

WTF Someone tell them Tate's the best in the State QUICK!!!!

jadennis

Re: WTF Someone tell them Tate's the best in the State QUICK!!!!
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2010, 09:26:50 PM »
Birmingham...watch this clip below so you can get an idea of what it's like for the rest of us to watch you make posts about Ben Tate and the draft.   Please keep the entertainment coming.  And use more  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: they are very effective.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 09:27:37 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

jadennis

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2010, 09:34:51 PM »
Embedding was disabled on that one, so here's another...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2010, 10:20:49 PM »
I think he was the best RB in the State and yeah, better than your beloved Ingram.  Tate thinks he was the best RB in the State, when did he state that he thought he was the best RB in the Country?  Did I miss something, has Roy Upchurch, any UAB or Troy RBs (not sure if they had any SR RBs) been taken?
I do remember Tate saying he thought he was one of the best or top backs in the draft like last month or farther back. I posted the link in a thread then, but can't remember what thread.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

jadennis

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2010, 10:27:18 PM »
I do remember Tate saying he thought he was one of the best or top backs in the draft like last month or farther back. I posted the link in a thread then, but can't remember what thread.

Well, he was the 6th back taken, and one of the top 60 total.  I guess it depends on the interpretation of "one of the top" means.  There are 255 total picks, so he's in the top 23% of the whole draft.  There were an average of 20 RBs taken in each draft from 2005 to 2008.  So if there are 20 taken this year, he would be 6th out of 20, which could be considered "one of the top".

One thing in his favor is that most experts had him the late 3rd or 4th round.  To go in the 2nd is a pretty good step up from some expectations.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 10:28:32 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

BZ770

• BZ770 Is The Most Interesting Person On The X
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2010, 11:04:58 PM »
I liked it better when his name was massengill
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2010, 12:57:39 AM »
NFL type back? That would be Toby Gerhart, and that is my opinion. Next to him would be Tate. Spiller will not last because he is not durable ebough and nor is Best. It just so happens that Tate faced both of these and prevailed. Although Tate prevailed against McCluster, McCluster will be a WR type in the NFL. Hardesty will have a better career in the NFL than all those but Tate. Oh yeah, Tate beat him too. Phuk off bammers. Oh by the way, the only bammer player that might have a decent NFL career equal to Tate is now his teammate.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2010, 02:33:56 AM »
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Fresno State  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
That's all I wanted to hear him say, instead I heard nothing from him.  He never announced a winner or pm'd me to get my addy.  5 days later this is posted as Thrilla the winner?  Just confused is all.  Didn't expect it.  I won, and wanted to know that by giving my address to him it wouldn't result in a mass e-mail to everyone else.  Didn't know I was supposed to be initiating all the contact, it was his contest, I was waiting on him.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2010, 02:58:55 PM »
Oh by the way, the only bammer player that might have a decent NFL career equal to Tate is now his teammate.
From the local sports douche... he is bi-polar and a major Houston sports franchise sunshine pumper, but he has access nonetheless - his skreets are legit.

Now the Texans will see how Amobi Okoye reacts to a challenge. Likewise, Fred Bennett and Andre Davis.

Owen Daniels? The Texans suddenly have an insurance policy as he recovers from knee surgery and looks for a big payday.

Steve Slaton? This would be a good time for him to stay on the field, and to hold on to the football.
The NFL is a cold, cold business. Every team is looking to replace about one-third of its roster on any given day, and the Texans took a step in that direction with these nine draft choices.

They also got better, maybe significantly better. At least five rookies could make an immediate impact. That impact could be direct, or it could come in other ways.

Some veterans who may not have thought they were fighting for playing time or roster spots were put on notice this weekend.

“You add to the competition of your team,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said, “it'll make your starters better. Are they going to hang on to their jobs? If some of these kids come along and win jobs, it makes your team better. That's where we're at as a football team right now, and that's a great feeling.”

This is a far cry from the roster he inherited four years ago. During his first training camp, Kubiak was stunned (angered? disgusted?) at how comfortable starters felt and how they missed so much practice time with what he considered minor injuries.

Those players are gone now, and the Texans have improved from a 2-14 laughingstock to a 9-7 contender. There's some growing still to be done, and that's what this weekend was about.

“When guys have missed time, they've lost their jobs because other players have stepped in and done well,” Kubiak said. “I always tell the players if someone steps in and does your job better, plays at a higher level than you were playing, that's part of the business. We're going to do everything we can to create competition.”

Gauntlet has been thrown

If you're into instant gratification, you'll probably get it. Cornerback Kareem Jackson will be a starter from day one unless Bennett gets better, and running back Ben Tate and defensive tackle Earl Mitchell will be given every chance to play.

Good players respond to challenges. Slaton will have to compete with Tate for playing time. Likewise, Okoye will be challenged by Mitchell.

Tight end Graham Garrett caught 91 balls his last two seasons at Wisconsin and will be in the mix, especially if Daniels' recovery is slowed.

Maybe the most intriguing pick was Trindon Holliday, a 5-5 LSU sprinter with world-class speed who will challenge Davis and Jacoby Jones on the return teams.

For a team that perhaps missed the playoffs by one lousy play last season, this was the weekend they hoped to have added that play.

The Texans' real growth may come from within, with Matt Schaub continuing to grow, with Mario Williams having a healthy, productive season, with a little of this and a little of that.

General manager Rick Smith ended the draft by telling his scouts and personnel people how impressed he was by the thoroughness with which they approached their job.

“I absolutely feel we're a better football team than the one that walked off that field,” he said. “I'm excited about watching everyone come together and grow. When we came here a few years ago, we talked about improving the athleticism and competition throughout the football team. We've worked the last few years to do that.

“We expect contributions fairly early from those guys. I think when you look at the class in its entirety, there are opportunities for other guys to step up and have an impact as well. I'm not just limiting it to those first three guys.”

‘Tag, you're it'
The Texans didn't always take players rated higher in media mock drafts, but no draft can really be evaluated for at least two years.

For Kubiak, the excitement begins with finding ways to get Tate and Slaton on the field together, or in having packages that emphasize the strengths of each.

“You sit there with a picture of how you see it working out,” he said. “But the bottom line is (Tate's) a big back, and that's something we need. I like the fact that he's going to hit the home run. He's 4.4 (in the 40). When he had space in the SEC, nobody caught him. Yet he plays between the tackles, too. I like when we talked football with him. I think this kid is far along, and he'll catch up with us real quick.”

Next up: The start of the offseason program in May.

“That's my favorite day during the offseason,” Smith said. “I go across the field, look at Gary and say, ‘Tag, you're it.' We get all these players we've acquired, and they're out there with our existing players for the first time. That's when we get to start to assess how much better are we, and how good we can be.”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2010, 03:01:33 PM »
On the news last night, Kubiak also referred to the two games they lost last year on the last play from the one yard line, and mentioned that Tate could be the man in short yardage situations.  Win those two games and the Texans are in the playoffs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2010, 05:34:48 PM »
On the news last night, Kubiak also referred to the two games they lost last year on the last play from the one yard line, and mentioned that Tate could be the man in short yardage situations.  Win those two games and the Texans are in the playoffs.
Also, if they had a QB worth a shit.  :poke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

jadennis

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2010, 06:25:51 PM »
“You sit there with a picture of how you see it working out,” he said. “But the bottom line is (Tate's) a big back, and that's something we need. I like the fact that he's going to hit the home run. He's 4.4 (in the 40). When he had space in the SEC, nobody caught him. Yet he plays between the tackles, too. I like when we talked football with him. I think this kid is far along, and he'll catch up with us real quick.”

That is the thing that I thought would get him taken higher than expected, it was just going to take the right team to see it that way.  The fact that Houston was that team either means I'm as stupid as the Texans seem to be, or they actually made a smart move.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

Tiger Wench

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2010, 11:18:25 PM »
Also, if they had a QB worth a shit.  :poke:
Blah blah.  Schaub is serviceable.  The Texans just have no one other than Andre Johnson that is "the GUY" - and no one outside of Houston even knows who AJ is unless you are a stats monster.  Slaton showed a lot of promise but he has butterfingers and is injury prone.  I think Ben has a great chance to make a name for himself.  I will certainly enjoy watching him live and in person a few times this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2010, 09:00:21 AM »
Blah blah.  Schaub is serviceable.  The Texans just have no one other than Andre Johnson that is "the GUY" - and no one outside of Houston even knows who AJ is unless you are a stats monster.  Slaton showed a lot of promise but he has butterfingers and is injury prone.  I think Ben has a great chance to make a name for himself.  I will certainly enjoy watching him live and in person a few times this year.

I agree. I will be paying more attention to the Texans this year. I certainly believe they have improved their chances for the playoffs this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2010, 09:27:21 AM »
The Texans are the aTm or Texas Tech of that state in Pro Football. We all know this - why not just say it. Ben will make them better - he has to.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2010, 09:57:41 AM »
Birmingham,

Give thanks to the Gods of the internet for inventing a place where cowardly fucks like you have a safe haven to come and pop off without fear.  You wouldn't dream of running your cock-holster in person like you pop off here you pathetic little piece of shit.  And, when you do it here, you showcase your monumental stupidity. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2010, 01:05:16 PM »

What does this have to do with Ben Tate not being as good as Fresno St.'s running backs?

..........................UH OH!!!!  AND THERE GOES DEXTER MCCLUSTER!!!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Right, cuz we all know that the best NFL players come from the big school and conferences.  Just ask Howie Long, Jerry Rice, Steve McNair, Walter Payton, Deacon Jones, Phil Simms, Kurt Warner, Michael Strahan, Larry Allen, Andre Reed, Rich Gannon, Marhall Faulk, etc...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
NFL type back? That would be Toby Gerhart, and that is my opinion. Next to him would be Tate. Spiller will not last because he is not durable ebough and nor is Best. It just so happens that Tate faced both of these and prevailed. Although Tate prevailed against McCluster, McCluster will be a WR type in the NFL. Hardesty will have a better career in the NFL than all those but Tate. Oh yeah, Tate beat him too. Phuk off bammers. Oh by the way, the only bammer player that might have a decent NFL career equal to Tate is now his teammate.

And this comment has been saved for later.  Laughable.  Can't wait to use it in the future.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2010, 02:21:02 PM »
I think McClain is pretty much a can't miss player in my opinion.  Arenas may surprise the hell out of people too.  Not saying he'll be a Pro Bowler.  Just that he has the talent to be pretty special as a punt/kick returner.

As for Tate, I have a feeling this guy might explode on the scene. (Don't save that for later) The guy put up sick numbers his senior year in the SEC and his numbers when testing for NFL scouts were ausome.  I think much of our perception has to do with his running style.  He just doesn't appear to be that fast, yet he ran away from people.  I also think the system in 08', or lack thereof, hurt him because of the type things he was asked to do.  Anyone recall all the complaints of them constantly trying to get Tate to the corner on a handoff, with no blocking?  We were saying either he's not very fast or it's just bad playcalling. He is that fast.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

JR4AU

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2010, 02:46:27 PM »
I think McClain is pretty much a can't miss player in my opinion.  Arenas may surprise the hell out of people too.  Not saying he'll be a Pro Bowler.  Just that he has the talent to be pretty special as a punt/kick returner.

As for Tate, I have a feeling this guy might explode on the scene. (Don't save that for later) The guy put up sick numbers his senior year in the SEC and his numbers when testing for NFL scouts were ausome.  I think much of our perception has to do with his running style.  He just doesn't appear to be that fast, yet he ran away from people.  I also think the system in 08', or lack thereof, hurt him because of the type things he was asked to do.  Anyone recall all the complaints of them constantly trying to get Tate to the corner on a handoff, with no blocking?  We were saying either he's not very fast or it's just bad playcalling. He is that fast.

By NFL standards, Tate is neither a monster in size, nor a speedster, BUT he has a very nice combination of both.  Used correctly, I think he has a very good chance of having a nice career if he's not burdened with injuries.   2008 was an anomoly.  Tate would be much higher in the Auburn record books if not for 2008.  It was a cluster-fuck.  And Tate had to wait his Fr. and Soph. years behind some pretty good backs too.  I don't think we REALLY have much idea of what Tate is fully capable of, though, Malzahn's run schemes give us a fair look at how he'll do running Zone, Power, and Sweep in the NFL.  1300 yards in the SEC is a good season.  Factor in him doing that on a very average Auburn team in 2009, and you get the idea he could be pretty good at the next level.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2010, 07:50:47 PM »
And this comment has been saved for later.  Laughable.  Can't wait to use it in the future.

Sure, I hope you do. Why don't you name Ben Tate's present teammates from bama?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions