Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

LSU football players make shitty professionals...

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
LSU football players make shitty professionals...
« on: April 22, 2010, 09:34:42 AM »

LSU churning out disappointing players
NFL evaluators wonder what's going wrong.
By Kent Babb
THE KANSAS CITY STAR

Published: 10:37 p.m. Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Word began spreading in the draft hall early in the afternoon. The Kansas City Chiefs were about to do it again.

It was a Saturday afternoon in April at New York's Radio City Music Hall. NFL draft day 2009. The Chiefs had the No. 3 overall pick. So many options. A can't-miss linebacker named Aaron Curry? A franchise offensive tackle, such as Eugene Monroe?

Late in the afternoon, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell approached the lectern and made the announcement.

"With the third pick in the 2009 NFL draft," Goodell said, "the Kansas City Chiefs select Tyson Jackson, defensive end from LSU."

The crowd gasped. Some booed. Jackson's name was a surprise, but other things were not. He filled a need on defense, and the college program that produced him was one the Chiefs seemed comfortable with. For three years in a row, the Chiefs made an LSU player their top draft pick.

Before Jackson, there was defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey at No. 5 overall in 2008. A year earlier, the Chiefs drafted wide receiver Dwayne Bowe at No. 23 overall.

Those players have something else in common: None has lived up to expectations or their draft slots. That trend is known now to the Chiefs' organization, but perhaps it should've seen it coming earlier.

LSU has produced 35 NFL draft picks since 2003, but there are many more stories of failure than success. Of those 35 players, nine of whom were first-round picks, only one has been selected for a Pro Bowl: Indianapolis running back Joseph Addai's appearance as a reserve in 2007. The handful of successes are overshadowed by players such as Oakland's JaMarcus Russell and Dorsey — who have shown little evidence that they'll live up to their draft-day hype.

"I don't think anybody has seen or heard from Glenn Dorsey," said former NFL coach Jon Gruden, who drafted former LSU receiver Michael Clayton to the Buccaneers in 2004.

LSU is known as one of the last decade's most successful college programs, winning national championships in 2003 and 2007 and helping elevate hungry and talented players into college superstars. But according to some outside the LSU bubble, NFL teams have learned the hard way that, at least lately, a draft pick who played for the Tigers isn't a sure thing.

"Word has been out there that the guys aren't working real hard," said Chris Landry, a former NFL scout who now works as a consultant for nearly a dozen teams. "It's been talked among scouting circles for a while. It's more: Buyer beware.

"It gives (LSU) a bad image. It gives it an attitude of just: 'What the hell is going on over there?'"

The signs were there. That's what LSU insiders and observers said. Dorsey paid less attention to conditioning after his junior season. Bowe's hands weren't improving. Russell's work habits were questionable from the start.

"JaMarcus was a bust waiting to happen," said Landry, who lives in Louisiana. "A lot of people have misevaluated LSU players."

Landry said the problems started when those players emerged as NFL prospects, and their work habits slipped. He said LSU's coaches failed to push those players, and as a result, they adopted poor approaches as acceptable.

"The program has slipped from a discipline and work-ethic standpoint," Landry said. "They're not nearly as demanding on them."

As other dominant college teams became factories for NFL superstars — Miami, Southern California and Texas produced a combined 97 draft picks and 19 Pro Bowlers since 2003 — LSU was churning out players who looked the part, passed the combine tests and had futures that looked bright. And then something goes wrong.

The theory going around is that the hunger dies once they get their first big NFL contract.

Of Louisiana's 4.4 million residents, 19.4 percent live in poverty. That's the second-highest percentage in the country. Some of those residents are children. Some play football. Coaches know how to motivate Louisiana's youngsters.

"Hey, you've got a chance" to reach the NFL, said Larry Dauterive, coach at East St. John High, 53 miles southwest of Baton Rouge. "We've got some there. You can get there. That's the carrot we dangle in front of them."

Per capita, Louisiana has more players in the NFL than any other. The best ones go to LSU. Marcus Spears was a can't-miss. So was LaRon Landry. Dorsey, too. Bowe, Russell, Dorsey and Spears are among those who've been criticized for their conditioning habits. Others have been chided for work-ethic concerns.

Perhaps when they get that big carrot, or contract, the motivation is gone for these players from poor economic backgrounds.

"A lot of people do fall victim to that: They think they've achieved everything," said John Murray, a sports psychologist in South Florida. "You lose your entire purpose when you don't have something to strive for."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Re: LSU football players make shitty professionals...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
That's gonna leave a mark.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: LSU football players make shitty professionals...
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 11:14:48 AM »
All but 1 of the tahd draftees this year will be busts also in my not so humble opinion.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: LSU football players make poopty professionals...
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 04:24:14 PM »
Well to be fair, Dorsey has never been the same since one of Nall's boys cheap sh......wait, what?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jadennis

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 04:38:28 PM »
Interesting article.  It would kind of explain why maybe one of the more talented teams in football has lost 9 games the last two years.

But the last part, about poverty, is interesting to me.  Do all of Georgia's players come from Buckhead?  I mean, aren't there lots and lots of SEC players at every program that grew up in below middle class families and areas?  I think that's a weak argument. 

I think a lot of kids, no matter the family background, would have a tendency to slack off a bit once they were assured of $20 million coming from the NFL in less than 12 months.  The one's who don't are the ones who had parents that raised them differently, or ones that have a natural competitive drive, or ones that have coaches that beat their ass with a goal post when they slack off. 

I would say the latter is not happening enough at LSU with their top talents.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 07:49:01 AM »
Interesting article.  It would kind of explain why maybe one of the more talented teams in football has lost 9 games the last two years.

But the last part, about poverty, is interesting to me.  Do all of Georgia's players come from Buckhead?  I mean, aren't there lots and lots of SEC players at every program that grew up in below middle class families and areas?  I think that's a weak argument. 

I think a lot of kids, no matter the family background, would have a tendency to slack off a bit once they were assured of $20 million coming from the NFL in less than 12 months.  The one's who don't are the ones who had parents that raised them differently, or ones that have a natural competitive drive, or ones that have coaches that beat their ass with a goal post when they slack off. 

I would say the latter is not happening enough at LSU with their top talents.

It's not just professional athletes.  Hell I see it in everyday jobs. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 09:44:30 AM »
Russell is from the Mobile area so the LA reference does not work with him. The real question is where have they all gone? The common denominator may be crappy NFL teams not a crappy state or college. Just a thought.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban